Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Alien

I really liked the improvements to the video quality and especially the sound quality. I'm just happy to be having a blu-ray version of the alien collection as Alien is one of my favorite all time movies. Aliens ranks up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Alien
Looks fantastic as expected, but it's hard for a Ridley Scott film not to on blu ray. Every one has pretty much been a home run.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sporadic posted:

I could have sworn it was region B but you are right, it plays just fine in my region A player.

Guess I should amend that to The Crow/9 Songs for $20 shipped.

Thanks for the heads up.

Glad to be of help (The other 2 were in fact B-Locked), sorry I can't buy them though.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/ should clear up any questions if a disc is locked or not

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
Any idea of when we will be able to buy Alien without the set? I love the first one, but don't really care for the rest of the series and can't justify paying $80 for only one movie I'll watch.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joe Der Maus posted:

Any idea of when we will be able to buy Alien without the set?

None at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5IhKCY_QU

:haw:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Alien Anthology is currently listed at $79 from Best Buy Canada.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not much of a fan of The Sound of Music, but...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/sound-of-music.htm

To hell with 3-D... bring back 70mm!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

To hell with 3-D... bring back 70mm!

Wow, that hill in the back looks so vivd, almost like it was... alive. :haw:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not much of a fan of The Sound of Music, but...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/sound-of-music.htm

That's really incredible. I'm not a huge fan of the movie either, but I haven't seen it in a while. Between the incredible restoration job done and the digibook, I'll definitely be giving this one another look.

I can't for the loving life of me understand how Back to the Future is getting such glowing reviews with poo poo like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285244

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The DNR on BttF is really weird. It's not glowingly obvious like Patton or Predator, but you KNOW something is wrong.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Bambi posted:

I can't for the loving life of me understand how Back to the Future is getting such glowing reviews with poo poo like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285244

This is going to sound really ignorant because I am kinda new to high def media and Blu Ray in particular but could someone explain to me what's so bad about the BttF transfer? I don't mean to be an rear end but I really don't know...
This whole thing is very intriguing to me because of how nitpicky everyone is being about it (as I too am a nitpicker).

I kinda feel like Ethan Suplee in Mallrats staring at the Magic Eye, when every other dude and little kid can see the sailboat and he couldn't, even though he wanted to SO BAD.

William Pahllace fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 23, 2010

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I don't see the big deal, either. I can see some crappy edge enhancement in the close-ups and that's about it. It's a lot better than the comparison shots.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you can look at this screenshot and not feel sort of creeped out, then the problems with the BttF blu-rays probably won't bother you so you should purchase and enjoy them on your own terms

http://www.imagebam.com/image/268ceb103448476

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

RichterIX posted:

If you can look at this screenshot and not feel sort of creeped out, then the problems with the BttF blu-rays probably won't bother you so you should purchase and enjoy them on your own terms

http://www.imagebam.com/image/268ceb103448476

This was the first screenshot I looked at, and I said "How can anyone NOT think this is wrong?"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

This was the first screenshot I looked at, and I said "How can anyone NOT think this is wrong?"

Because it is only one screenshot out of a movie that's almost two hours long?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I think there's a big, big difference between AVSForum sperging that sparks/arrows/whatever have disappeared from a screenshot, and multiple screenshots demonstrating , at least at certain times, DNR and/or excessive sharpening.

I don't know where the Canal+ screenshots have disappeared to but you could basically just mimic the Blu-Ray by adding Remove Scratches/Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask filters in Photoshop.

It's not a disaster, it even looks good at times. But it could have been much, much better.

GonSmithe posted:

I think both the clothing and the face in this one demonstrate the problems pretty well.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/5bee0a103448938
http://www.imagebam.com/image/5bb05c103448535

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 23, 2010

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
For those on the fence about the much cheaper UK Alien Anthology:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh, poo poo. Looks like another Amazon price mistake on a preorder.

This time it's Desperado/El Mariachi for $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048LVDHG?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0048LVDHG

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

frumpsnake posted:

For those on the fence about the much cheaper UK Alien Anthology:

Looks fine to me. Are the discs/transfer the same? Surely there is a reason it's cheaper than just the packaging?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ingram posted:

Looks fine to me. Are the discs/transfer the same? Surely there is a reason it's cheaper than just the packaging?

Wasn't the benefit of the other one is that you get a nice book with pretty pictures and everything?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Finally able to sit down and watch Apocalypse Now on blu-ray. I'm sure this question gets asked a lot in CD, but which version is most recommended for a first-time viewer? Is it purely a matter of opinion, or is it like the difference between the Blade Runner theatrical and directors cut in terms of definitive superiority?

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Space_Butler posted:

Finally able to sit down and watch Apocalypse Now on blu-ray. I'm sure this question gets asked a lot in CD, but which version is most recommended for a first-time viewer? Is it purely a matter of opinion, or is it like the difference between the Blade Runner theatrical and directors cut in terms of definitive superiority?

I think almost everyone agrees that the original cut is far superior. Now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who prefered Redux.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah, definitely theatrical cut for the first time.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bonus features for The Social Network (tentatively due January) have been revealed:

quote:

DISC 1 :
Audio Commentary with David Fincher
Audio Commentary with The Cast
Audio Commentary with Writer Aaron Sorkin

DISC 2 :
How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? Development Documentary
How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? Boston Documentary
How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? Los Angeles Documentary
How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? The Lot Documentary
Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter and Ren Klyce on Editing Featurettes
Fincher on the Score Featurettes
Trent Reznor on the Score Featurettes
Cronenweth and Fincher on the Visuals Featurettes
Ruby Sky VIP Room: Multi Angle Exploration Multi Angle

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

Bonus features for The Social Network (tentatively due January) have been revealed:

I assume those documentaries are really long because that's not really 2 disc material if they aren't

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might be the DVD breakdown - not really sure, source doesn't specify. Would be great if the docs were feature-length though. I'll eat up anything I can about this movie - I can't wait to listen to all 3 commentaries in succession.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I assume those documentaries are really long because that's not really 2 disc material if they aren't

I assume they'll be like the docs on Zodiac and Ben Button. If that's the case they will be very long and very much worth watching.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Soylent Green posted:

I think almost everyone agrees that the original cut is far superior. Now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who prefered Redux.

I'd be all for the redux IF it wasn't for that plantation scene.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Starscream posted:

I'd be all for the redux IF it wasn't for that plantation scene.
Suffering through it is worth the while when you get the surfboard stealing, and flying all over the jungle begging for it back scene

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Alien

thanks for posting this. i wasn't going to consider buying the set at the amazon price currently, but that link is making me want to add it to my collection.

now if only there was a review for aliens....then i'd grab it without hesitation.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Space_Butler posted:

I'd watch the original. If you end up really digging it, then dive into Redux. I think it's safer for you to watch and enjoy the original film so many other people love, than to watch the three and a half hour cut, and run the risk of being bored by it - and forever hate the film in any form.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

Red posted:

I'd watch the original. If you end up really digging it, then dive into Redux. I think it's safer for you to watch and enjoy the original film so many other people love, than to watch the three and a half hour cut, and run the risk of being bored by it - and forever hate the film in any form.

Plus, in a lot of cases, it's good to watch the shorter cuts of films the first time through. Obviously you're going to have a lot of exceptions to the rule, but I can't even watch the theatrical cut of Aliens because I'm only thinking about the stuff that was removed from the longer director's cut. It's better to re-watch a movie with additional material rather than less.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

J. Scott posted:

Plus, in a lot of cases, it's good to watch the shorter cuts of films the first time through. Obviously you're going to have a lot of exceptions to the rule, but I can't even watch the theatrical cut of Aliens because I'm only thinking about the stuff that was removed from the longer director's cut. It's better to re-watch a movie with additional material rather than less.

The only film I can think of off the top of my head that has a better Extended Cut than Theatrical is The Abyss, which isn't exactly a great movie anyway.

On a different note - I really really want to see the supposedly darker edit of Mel Gibson's Payback. They remove the narration, change the score, and change the washout visual effect.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I have only seen the Redux version and Apocalypse Now is my absolute favorite movie of all time.

So it can't be all that bad. But I am interested to see what they added when I get around to watching the theatrical release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red posted:

On a different note - I really really want to see the supposedly darker edit of Mel Gibson's Payback. They remove the narration, change the score, and change the washout visual effect.

That the only version available on Blu-Ray. I didn't think much of it. It wasn't all that dark besides Mel beating his (I think) wife at the beginning and the end was anti-climatic since they cut everything with Kris Kristoffersen

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

doctor thodt posted:

Is it just me or are DVD turnarounds getting shorter?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

doctor thodt posted:

How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook?
Aha, very clever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sporadic posted:

That the only version available on Blu-Ray. I didn't think much of it. It wasn't all that dark besides Mel beating his (I think) wife at the beginning and the end was anti-climatic since they cut everything with Kris Kristoffersen

Why wouldn't they offer a single Blu-Ray with both versions... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rocco posted:

I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

I haven't seen Alien Resurrection in years - probably not the entire thing in a decade - and I'm kind of looking forward to watching it again. Never picked up the quadrilogy set so I'd like to check out the other cut of Alien 3 as well.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it just me or are DVD turnarounds getting shorter?

My assumption in this case is that it's for awards season.

• Locked thread