Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'd watch the poo poo out of a Dark Forces movie. The rest of that list is completely awful, though. I don't think even the Thrawn Trilogy would work well as films because of how much poo poo you'd have to cut out.

In other news, I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, so I'll be out of town for the Force Unleashed 2 launch. Guess you guys will have to wait a week or so for my massive post about literally every awesome thing in the game where I conspicuously avoid any mention of the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crowetron posted:

In other news, I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, so I'll be out of town for the Force Unleashed 2 launch. Guess you guys will have to wait a week or so for my massive post about literally every awesome thing in the game where I conspicuously avoid any mention of the plot

If you can force-toss Ewoks over cliffs or into the uncaring void of space, consider me sold no matter what the plot.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Bonzo posted:

40 Star Wars Stories That Should Be Movies
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40-star-wars-stories-that-should-be-movies

No one is going to like #38

#12 would be okay, but only if they rewrite the ending so that the Endor Holocaust is officially made canon. And by "okay" I mean unwatchable poo poo redeemed only by burning wreckage raining down on Ewoks.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Captain Splendid posted:

Single best part of Star Wars EU ever.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They really need to bring back Star Wars Tales, it was a great series.

So, what's this bullshit about Luke becoming "one with the Force" in the NJO and fighting the Vong off with 20 lightsabers or something? There's a blurb about it on Wookiepedia and I'm just curious as to how you can continue on with a character after that.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

NeonTurtle posted:

Single best part of Star Wars EU ever.

Then you might not like this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So, what's this bullshit about Luke becoming "one with the Force" in the NJO and fighting the Vong off with 20 lightsabers or something? There's a blurb about it on Wookiepedia and I'm just curious as to how you can continue on with a character after that.

Can't wait for that, I'm at the end of book 8. I know what happens but I have nothing else to listen to at work until vortex is out.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

That is the most :spergin: PDF I've ever read.

If anything, there should be at least some type of junk-ring around the planet created by all the debris.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Can't wait for that, I'm at the end of book 8. I know what happens but I have nothing else to listen to at work until vortex is out.

Let me know what the hell happens because the line of text I read was pretty short. I'm curious if this is a one time thing or something he does all the time now. It's like Superman but you can't really do a character piece because it's Luke loving Skywalker and no one has written Luke Skywalker as a complex character in 27 years.

On the Endor Now comic,
The end of the story is the former Stormtrooper saying that line and then the guy he's telling the story to tells him about how the Rebel Alliance took care of all the major debris. He gets all freaked out and it ends on that darkly humorous note.

Star Wars Tales is a mostly fun, largely noncanon series by the way so most the stuff shown in it is just fun and nowhere near as serious as the EU books. This is also why it's a million times better than most EU material.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Unfortunately I've heard that the ending is pretty ambiguous which doesn't help since they canceled work on the third game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This never happened.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This never happened.

Apparently he wielded his lightsaber like there were 10-20 there. It's still pretty ridiculous and the whole "oneness" thing.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Apparently he wielded his lightsaber like there were 10-20 there. It's still pretty ridiculous and the whole "oneness" thing.

Is there a citation for which book it happened in in the Wiki article? I have no recollection of this. They do, later in the NJO, explore the definitions and understanding of the force and whether there even is a dark or a light side which might explain the "Oneness" thing.

I wonder if you're referring to Anakin Solo, who in a heroic last stand found a higher plane of force use and used the poo poo out of it to the point that his cells burned up and he died while glowing brightly and killing everything in mega-hero-mode.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azzmo posted:

Is there a citation for which book it happened in in the Wiki article? I have no recollection of this. They do, later in the NJO, explore the definitions and understanding of the force and whether there even is a dark or a light side which might explain the "Oneness" thing.

I wonder if you're referring to Anakin Solo, who in a heroic last stand found a higher plane of force use and used the poo poo out of it to the point that his cells burned up and he died while glowing brightly and killing everything in mega-hero-mode.

Apparently both Jacen and Luke do that but don't get killed.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Unsubstatiated rumor of the day:
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=co...:news&Itemid=71

quote:

Don't start packing up your lawn chairs and igloo coolers just yet, but there will once again be "camping out" for a Star Wars movie. IESB has learned some news about the future of the Star Wars franchise.
First, let me remind our readers of IESB's past scoops so anyone doubting the news will be aware. From Joss Whedon directing the Avengers, to the recent announcement of Disney's planned renegotiation of the Paramount Marvel deal, to the countless casting scoops, directing scoops, to our solid sources at Lucasfilm.

Confirmed IESB scoops specific to the Star Wars universe include the first announcement of the PG-13 rating of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, the first word of a live action Star Wars TV series as well as the Clone Wars animated series. Yes, all of these Lucasfilm scoops were all first reported here on IESB.

Now on to our newest big Lucasfilm scoop, ready? George Lucas is plotting to create new Star Wars movies at the ultra top-secret Skywalker Ranch.

This is déjà vu of the mid 90's when Uncle George starting tweaking the Holy Trilogy to gear up for the Special Editions. That was his first step in moving forward with the eventual prequel trilogy.

It's happening all over again, Lucasfilm is already hard at work converting the entire Star Wars saga into 3D which will be released starting with Episode I: The Phantom Menace in 2012. The word from our ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider is that Lucas has gotten the itch and is already looking ahead into launching an entirely new trilogy in that galaxy far, far away.

What do we know? First of all, these new film will have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development. That show already has over 50 scripts ready to go and plenty of pre-production time and money has been spent on artwork and storyboards. Once that show goes into production, Lucasfilm hopes to be able to produce at least 100 episodes since that is the threshold for syndication in the United States.

IESB has been told fans can expect the new trilogy after the entire saga is released in 3D which is expected to be complete around 2015 or 2016.

Uncle George's modus operandi has not changed, the plan is that he will self finance the new trilogy after he rakes in an expected $500 - $750 million dollars with the re-release of the entire Star Wars Saga in 3D and on Blu-Ray.

The ideal plan, according to our spy at Skywalker Ranch, is to be able to release a new Star Wars film within 24 months after the release of the last re-re-release (is that right?) of Return of the Jedi 3D.

Too early for story details but one thing that our source is certain about, they will not be prequels but instead sequels. It's not for certain if they will be the long awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories "fit in" with what the previous stories have told.

According to our sources, the most likely scenario for the films is that they will exist in the same universe but will not have anything to do with the Skywalker Clan. That story has been told, that starship has sailed.

What has caused this sudden change of heart for Uncle George? Well, besides the obvious possible billions that a new Star Wars trilogy will take in, our source tells us that George has gotten motivated with the success the Clone Wars animated series, the video games and also with the success of Avatar.

Can we expect Lucasfilm to confirm our story? Have they ever? Nope, I am sure that they will spin this or completly deny the story, but we will stand 100% behind our source.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

What has caused this sudden change of heart for Uncle George? Well, besides the obvious possible billions that a new Star Wars trilogy will take in, our source tells us that George has gotten motivated with the success the Clone Wars animated series, the video games and also with the success of Avatar.

Red Letter Media sure as hell is seeming accurate at the moment.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The original Dark Forces could definitely work as a sort of Bond-in-Space movie set in the SW universe.

The movie could open with Katarn stealing the Death Star plans and shooting his way out of the secret base. As he flies away from the planets, the title credits roll. After the title credit, Mon Mothma debriefs Katarn about the attack on the rebel base and tells him that he has to rescue Crix Madine from the imperials for more intelligence on the Imperial's new weapon. We also meet Jan Orrs, the Bond girl. Madine points them to Nar Shadaa/Imperial City, where Katarn can discover the location of the Ark Hammer (I think Nar Shadaa would be a richer environment to explore). There he encounters the evil Bond girl - maybe it's Mara Jade? - and gets the ship's location. Then maybe he gets captured and escapes from Jabba's ship if it doesn't gently caress up the pacing, before he finally gets to the Ark Hammer. He infiltrates and destroys the ship, with a climactic battle against the big bad and his Dark Trooper.

I figure you could probably throw in maybe one more set piece - possibly a combination of the three mining facilities, as well as a couple of character building exposition scenes. I don't think it would be a classic, but it could definitely be a fun pulpy action movie.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want more prequels!

Give me an Old Republic-era movie.

clueless
Sep 26, 2006

Look at everyone around you, and think "Half of these people are idiots, and half of those don't know it either." "Why only half?"
Why doesn't he just give the guys who do the Old Republic cinematic trailers, and the crew that did the trailers for The Force Unleashed 2 a decent budget, and just let them make 3 cgi movies?

Heck, the 5-minute trailer for TFU2 and the first ToR trailer are both better than anything he did for Ep. 1 ~ 3...

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

clueless posted:

Why doesn't he just give the guys who do the Old Republic cinematic trailers, and the crew that did the trailers for The Force Unleashed 2 a decent budget, and just let them make 3 cgi movies?

Heck, the 5-minute trailer for TFU2 and the first ToR trailer are both better than anything he did for Ep. 1 ~ 3...

That doesn't mean they were good. Five minutes just isn't long enough to fit both generic over the top action AND a terrible story.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've suddenly got a bad feeling for the entire comic and book post ROTJ EU.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Red Letter Media sure as hell is seeming accurate at the moment.

I love Avatar, but if through it Lucas is inspired to do more Star Wars stuff I may have to go murder James Cameron.

Seriously, Lucas better not loving touch my post ROTJ EU, I'm way to invested in it.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 23, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping they do more Old Republic stuff because of The Old Republic coming out and there's not much to gently caress up.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love Avatar, but if through it Lucas is inspired to do more Star Wars stuff I may have to go murder James Cameron.

Seriously, Lucas better not loving touch my post ROTJ EU, I'm way to invested in it.

Don't murder him until he gets around to making that Battle Angel Alita movie he's been talking about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hahahahaha

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:confused: You going to storm Skywalker Ranch or something?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Can we beg Zahn to email Lucas and offer to write some of this new stuff?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
George Lucas is 66 years old. He's not actually obese as far as I can tell, but he doesn't look like he's exactly in peak physical condition. I'm not sure he has another trilogy of healthy life expectancy left.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

:confused: You going to storm Skywalker Ranch or something?

I make an exaggeration that I will murder James Cameron over all this and that is what you pull out of my post?

Anyway, is it to hard to believe that I might be more than a little resentful toward Lucas if he takes a complete poo poo over all the Star Wars stuff I've liked and enjoyed for the better part of a decade?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can imagine the scroll now:

STAR
WARS

Episode IX

DARKSABER

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

DARKSABER

If nothing else, it'll make for some fearsome Madine meme material.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Nah. Darksaber would be too good. Episodes 7,8, and 9 will be co-written by his new squeeze, Karen Traviss.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Darksaber, while terrible, was better than anything Lucas can do.

Kevin J Anderson is a master of modern literature compared to the last 15 years of Lucas.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Der Luftwaffle posted:

If nothing else, it'll make for some fearsome Madine meme material.

Eh, it would probably still be more entertaining than Attack of the Clones.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Darksaber, for being totally awful, was amazingly amusing.

If you're actually looking for really bizarre choices to make into movies, how about Crystal Star?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ZeeToo posted:

If you're actually looking for really bizarre choices to make into movies, how about Crystal Star?

The Jedi Prince is finally coming to the big screen baby, start throwing out those nerd chosen cast choices.

Lucas would make a lovely Zorba.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

The Crystal Star was the 4th Star Wars EU book I ever read. The first 3 was the Jedi Academy trilogy

Yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Darksaber, while terrible, was better than anything Lucas can do.

Kevin J Anderson is a master of modern literature compared to the last 15 years of Lucas.

Lucas already did Darksaber, remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They could cover that span of time that takes place between Legacy and Karen Traviss fanfiction.

I don't think Lucas would really touch the EU because of all the merchandising that goes into it already. He's literally getting checks for doing nothing and he's shown in the past that this is not something he wishes to end.

EDIT: Look at how Paramount, and Roddenberry in the past, runs things with Star Trek. That is the model that people who hate money follow.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 24, 2010