Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCcD9Djj5M

Kanye on Ellen.

The diamond teeth make sense considering those front teeth were probably badly damaged in the car crash (circa 2002) and were fake/had a lot of work done to them anyway.

For whatever reason, it skeeves me out and generally I'm less of a fan of the diamond teeth than of almost anything else he's done recently. But hey, he's a provocateur, he wants to get a reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040MZ1PI/ref=dm_dp_trk8

What the heck? (And this came out two months ago.)

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Mutation posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040MZ1PI/ref=dm_dp_trk8

What the heck? (And this came out two months ago.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040MVU5S/ref=dm_sp_alb

??!?!?!

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
tracklist is up on itunes

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

i wish i knew the cover art details.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

F201 posted:

tracklist is up on itunes

I thought Monster was supposed to be on Watch the Throne. :confused:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

theflyingexecutive posted:

I thought Monster was supposed to be on Watch the Throne. :confused:

It was until it was a big hit without actually getting a real release.

e: Also no Mama's Boyfriends makes me super sad. Hope an unfinished CDQ of it gets released eventually.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Man, I love Monster but gently caress, Bon Iver's parts are grating as gently caress.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I'm a little disappointed we've heard like half these songs already. Only 6 of the tracks haven't been heard, and that's if you don't count the leaks.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
Considering all the material we've seen so far, and how long his first two albums were, I'm actually kind of surprised this is only a 12-track album. Then again, maybe tightening it up is the way to go here. I have no idea.

Royal Challenge
Jun 24, 2005
It might not even be the actual final track listing, but maybe I'm just being hopeful. I remember when Jay-Z's American Gangster was about to come out and Amazon threw up a track list that turned out to be not real at all.

Even so, So Appalled and Devil in a new Dress are easily some of his best songs but I remember reading somewhere that Jay-Z was miffed that Kanye leaked So Appalled since it was going to be on their mini-ep. So who knows at this point.

On a similar topic, Runaway premiers tonight and since almost the entire album is in the movie in some form it'll be a nice preview.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Royal Challenge posted:

On a similar topic, Runaway premiers tonight and since almost the entire album is in the movie in some form it'll be a nice preview.

Here's a preview of Runaway. Minaj's accent is terrible but the song's pretty good.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7W0DMAx8FY&feature=player_embedded!

This is the full film as far as I know.

Royal Challenge
Jun 24, 2005
There's a high quality version of Runaway on Kanye's blog.

Also, colour me wrong about that track list; turns out it is 100% accurate. He needs to decide on a final track list by tomorrow!

Edit: Watch the Throne now a full length album.

Royal Challenge fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 24, 2010

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.

reach42 posted:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7W0DMAx8FY&feature=player_embedded!

This is the full film as far as I know.
...What the christ did I just watch?

It seemed to try wayyyyy to hard to be artsy. Then again, I have no taste :colbert:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Just saw Kanye perform a ton of the GOOD Friday songs, it was incredible.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Full-length explicit is up at simply https://www.kanyewest.com

I dug it, some will say he's trying too hard, but that was really visually stunning.

DarkCompanion
Oct 27, 2007

by T. Finn
The whole project is interesting, but appears to me as something of a failure. The phoenix idea is pretty contrived and Kanye's own conception of his career seems to be really hyperbolic and almost manufactured at times. I think it's admirable that he's experimenting with alloying hip hop and the manners of high culture, but in the end I don't think Kanye, despite having generally well developed artistic instincts, really succeeds. There are some nicely done segments and some artfully arranged images, but Kanye lacks the conceptual vocabulary to make this "film" come together cleanly and when all is said and done it's rather self indulgent and juvenile.

That's not to say it's not cool, I got a kick out of it and I hope Kanye will continue to push the envelope.

Also kanye is kind of a wooden actor...

DarkCompanion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 24, 2010

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

DarkCompanion posted:

The whole project is interesting, but appears to me as something of a failure. The phoenix idea is pretty contrived and Kanye's own conception of his career seems to be really hyperbolic and almost manufactured at times. I think it's admirable that he's experimenting with alloying hip hop and the manners of high culture, but in the end I don't think Kanye, despite having generally good artistic instincts, really succeeds. There are some nicely done segments and some artfully arranged images, but Kanye lacks the conceptual vocabulary to make this "film" come together cleanly and when all is said and done it's rather self indulgent and juvenile.

That's not to say it's not cool, I got a kick out of it and I hope Kanye will continue to push the envelope.

believe it or not, this actually makes me like it more -- it's really kind of charming how juvenile and self-indulgent it is

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

DarkCompanion posted:

The whole project is interesting, but appears to me as something of a failure. The phoenix idea is pretty contrived and Kanye's own conception of his career seems to be really hyperbolic and almost manufactured at times. I think it's admirable that he's experimenting with alloying hip hop and the manners of high culture, but in the end I don't think Kanye, despite having generally well developed artistic instincts, really succeeds. There are some nicely done segments and some artfully arranged images, but Kanye lacks the conceptual vocabulary to make this "film" come together cleanly and when all is said and done it's rather self indulgent and juvenile.

I'd have to agree with this, but I hope he continues trying to raising the bar for the rest of the pop culture. You've gotta admire the effort at least.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

DarkCompanion posted:

Also kanye is kind of a wooden actor...

I think you're missing the point. Kanye is not attempting to make an art movie, he's trying to make an art movie that will get good ratings on MTV on a Saturday night. It's a fun short film that blends impressive visuals, good music and intentionally heavy handed messages to promote his album and show he's not quite as one dimensional as people would think he is. As he said, this film is his College Dropout of the visual world, showing people "hey, I CAN direct".

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm not sure what the gently caress I'm watching but the scene where Kanye is playing around with Power and the Phoenix starts spazzing out and shaking her tits was awesome.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Holy poo poo Lupe's verse on Don't Look Down is literally describing the last scene of Runaway.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010
Saying he came correct with this poo poo is an understatement. He just blew the motherfucking roof off.

I seriously hated this motherfucker 100% before I watched this video, and now I put him above Kurt Cobain.

1. Kanye West
2. Kurt Cobain

The imagery and symbolism were loving insane. I seriously think he's the greatest artist of the 21st century so far, let alone this generation.

gently caress, man. Sickest poo poo I ever saw. I've been bad mouthing Kanye since 808s and Heartbreak, but this goes so hard. He finally loving did it. He blew my mind. This is like "Jesus Walks" era classic but moreso.

What's that line Woody Allen said. Half of success or fame is showing up? God, he didn't have to get every lyric right. The whole package goes together. 5 stars classsic. Jesus. His flow is encompassing 80s, 90s rap from Kool Herc to loving Jay-z. Unfuckingbelievable.

Thank you loving fanboys for posting this poo poo. It's out of control.

Probably going to pen a 5000 word essay on the symbolism and imagery at a later date.

The album cover is as classic as The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach".
The album cover is as classic as The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach".

Had to put that twice.

I went from complete hater to thinking this dude is next level, better than Cobain poo poo. gently caress. Hip hop really is at its apex, right now. Even Xgau had it right. Listen to hip hop. Kanye West is rewarding us. Hip hop legend.

I wasn't even feeling ANY GOOD FRIDAY track, basically. I wasn't. Not at all. Thought Nicki Minaj made "Monster" suck. Anyway, once he put this poo poo together in a cohesive whole, he showed me I was wrong. poo poo's classic.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010
not only is he traversing the indie movement, he went TONI MORRISON on our asses.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I didn't understand a single thing about that movie, especially why there was a three minute long outro to Runaway that was completely incomprehensible.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

The Aphex Twin sample caught me off guard.

I don't know how I feel about that.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Brett824 posted:

Holy poo poo Lupe's verse on Don't Look Down is literally describing the last scene of Runaway.

I wonder which one came first

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Aggro posted:

I didn't understand a single thing about that movie, especially why there was a three minute long outro to Runaway that was completely incomprehensible.
I also have to share this sentiment. Great concept terrible execution. Why was there a giant head of Michael Jackson? Because Kanye wanted it to be.

He really should have spent a few thousand on hiring someone to storyboard his ideas and rein them into something more akin to The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night rather than some horrific 80's avant garde movie produced by crazy Slovakians.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
I really like Nicki Minaj, so the incredible awkwardness of the intro kind of threw me off. Usually people don't start trying to rap when they're narrating, and it wasn't even done in an endearing way.

I also thought it was really weird to include 9 different songs in this video, and then call it "Runaway." I get that Runaway was the center-piece of the video, but the inclusion of the other songs really threw me off. It reminded me of student films that cram too much music into their movies because they want to show off their ~*amazing*~ taste.

The parts where Kanye is just staring at the Phoenix while she bumbles awkwardly around the garden is kind of weird too, since he has this constipated look in his eyes the entire time.

I usually like Kanye, but as a whole, this really doesn't resonate that well with me.

Also:

"Did you notice that your girlfriend is a bird?" :crossarms:
"Naw, I never noticed that." :confused:

Okay.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Korak posted:

I also have to share this sentiment. Great concept terrible execution. Why was there a giant head of Michael Jackson? Because Kanye wanted it to be.

He really should have spent a few thousand on hiring someone to storyboard his ideas and rein them into something more akin to The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night rather than some horrific 80's avant garde movie produced by crazy Slovakians.

If you don't understand the symbolism behind something, it clearly doesn't have symbolism.

Thrust On Moore posted:

I also thought it was really weird to include 9 different songs in this video, and then call it "Runaway." I get that Runaway was the center-piece of the video, but the inclusion of the other songs really threw me off. It reminded me of student films that cram too much music into their movies because they want to show off their ~*amazing*~ taste.

The movie was originally just called the same thing as the album, but it was changed for promotional reasons. Kanye keeps on touching on why there are so many songs in the movie in interviews: he wants every song on his album to get some sort of visual representation even if it's not a single. He doesn't want the visual aspect of some songs to get lost because they aren't chosen as singles.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2010

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."

Brett824 posted:

The movie was originally just called the same thing as the album, but it was changed for promotional reasons. Kanye keeps on touching on why there are so many songs in the movie in interviews: he wants every song on his album to get some sort of visual representation even if it's not a single. He doesn't want the visual aspect of some songs to get lost because they aren't chosen as singles.

I guess, except All of the Lights is the next single, so that was kind of weird for me. Oh well.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
I'd have to say my favorite song in Runaway is either the first song or the last song but they're all really good so it's hard to tell

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

haterade posted:

I'd have to say my favorite song in Runaway is either the first song or the last song but they're all really good so it's hard to tell

Dark Fantasy and Lost in the World were definitely standouts. I think Lost in the World is probably my favorite MBDTF-era song from Kanye.

DarkCompanion
Oct 27, 2007

by T. Finn

Brett824 posted:

I think you're missing the point. Kanye is not attempting to make an art movie, he's trying to make an art movie that will get good ratings on MTV on a Saturday night. It's a fun short film that blends impressive visuals, good music and intentionally heavy handed messages to promote his album and show he's not quite as one dimensional as people would think he is. As he said, this film is his College Dropout of the visual world, showing people "hey, I CAN direct".

The thing that redeemed the whole project for me was the fact that Kanye wanted it to be art, but I guess if you're saying he wasn't trying to make art(which goes against my perception of his entire attitude recently, the stuff he said in the mtv question and answer, and all the stuff I've seen on his twitter) then I like it even less.

DarkCompanion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 24, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Music videos are an artform though. To compare it to films or literature is missing the idea. Compare it to Thriller.

DarkCompanion
Oct 27, 2007

by T. Finn

the Bunt posted:

Music videos are an artform though. To compare it to films or literature is missing the idea. Compare it to Thriller.

So it is art? but...but...that other guy said it wasn't...

Look, I honestly think you guys are really confused. You want this album/movie to receive the accolades of fine art without it having to do the real heavy lifting required of art. I'm giving Kanye his due respect here, I'm saying the man is trying to get people to take him and his music seriously as art and I honestly don't believe this forty minute long art film (it shares more in common with Fellini than it does thriller honestly) he did was attempting anything else. There's a scene where a bunch of black guys in white formal wear with diamond grills eat an elaborate dinner while being served on by white attendants, you don't think Kanye is trying to make a statement here about hip-hop being an artform?

My problem with the movie is simply that Kanye isn't skilled. The symbolism is confused at worst and juvenile at best. Kanye just lacks the self awareness, the philosophy, the conceptual vocabulary, to make something like this work. But I'm glad that he tried, that's what really matters.

DarkCompanion fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 25, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Brett824 posted:

If you don't understand the symbolism behind something, it clearly doesn't have symbolism.

This was my sense. Even if every segment doesn't come off successfully, each takeaway image is visually arresting. As an art piece... meh. As a sampler for the album -- holy poo poo. Also, I totally want that chopped-up Power beat.

Kanye's clearly a naive artist, and is incredibly self-indulgent, but dammit, it feels like no one's tried to blend art and commerce in top 40 music like this since new wave.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

DarkCompanion posted:

So it is art? but...but...that other guy said it wasn't...

Look, I honestly think you guys are really confused. You want this album/movie to receive the accolades of fine art without it having to do the real heavy lifting required of art. I'm giving Kanye his due respect here, I'm saying the man is trying to get people to take him and his music seriously as art and I honestly don't believe this forty minute long art film (it shares more in common with Fellini than it does thriller honestly) he did was attempting anything else. There's a scene where a bunch of black guys in white formal wear with diamond grills eat an elaborate dinner while being served on by white attendants, you don't think Kanye is trying to make a statement here about hip-hop being an artform?

My problem with the movie is simply that Kanye isn't skilled. The symbolism is confused at worst and juvenile at best. Kanye just lacks the self awareness, the philosophy, the conceptual vocabulary, to make something like this work. But I'm glad that he tried, that's what really matters.

I never said anything about appreciating the music video as a piece of fine art (whatever that means- nothing to me.). I just can't put every different type of artistry under the same blanket. Your use of the word is so vague and encompassing that it doesn't really mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I just watched Runaway, and I thought it was pretty fantastic. The imagery was all very striking, and the music... holy poo poo, this is gonna be a good one.

• Locked thread