Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.

Since when did thorfin give two shits about kids?

It seems more like the master has a problem with the kids being punished. He seems kind of perturbed by the whole thing when they are presented to him at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.
Nah. Thorfinn is definitely learning new things, but he's still far too emotionally dead to do something like that out of the blue. You can't just assume he'll act like a Good Person if push comes to shove. He's not just some shonen protagonist in a slump who just needs a touching story to bounce back, he's got incredibly deep emotional wounds that will take more than something superficial to deal with.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I strongly suspect that Einar will die. Nothing less is going to make Thorfinn hulk out at this point. Having his only friend, the man who taught him how to be human again bite it would certainly get the plot moving. The old man is probably also a goner.
Oh god I hope not. :ohdear:
Einar is my favorite character in this whole manga and I hope he sticks at Thorfinn's side as his buddy all the way to Vinland.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wouldn't that ruin the, "I need a horse," adventure?

"The horse was in you all along!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wouldn't that ruin the, "I need a horse," adventure?

"I need a horse (to punch)."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

People who say the farming arc is boring are dumb. There are several interesting plot threads going now and things keep happening. While horse punching is certainly awesome, the change from the purely grim and gritty content has added a lot of depth.

The key word is now. Now that the plot is actually developing and going somewhere it's getting intresting. Before there was nothing but day today life that had no impact on anything. Horse punching is awesome. We can all agree but even earlier the non combat chapters were good too. With Canute and Askaled trying to outwit and maneuver the king, those were good too cause something was happening. The start of the farm arc though just hit a dead stop to anything.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Volume posted:

The key word is now. Now that the plot is actually developing and going somewhere it's getting intresting. Before there was nothing but day today life that had no impact on anything. Horse punching is awesome. We can all agree but even earlier the non combat chapters were good too. With Canute and Askaled trying to outwit and maneuver the king, those were good too cause something was happening. The start of the farm arc though just hit a dead stop to anything.

Yeah all that introduction to a major character, his circumstances, developing his relationship with Thorfinn, and generally settling into the current status quo sure was a waste of time.

lool75
May 12, 2009
Being icelandic and seeing all the icelandic names used in the manga, im severely disapointed that not 1 character is called Halldór :argh:

Vínland is what the vikings called america

lool75 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 1, 2010

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lool75 posted:

Vínland is what the vikings called america

everyone who didn't know this already, you're fired from the thread

historically accurate farm sim fans only itt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I believe Leif talked about Vinland from the beginning, and Thorfinn has periodically mentioned it as well. For that matter, I think he even talked about it during the farm arc.

lool75
May 12, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

I´m not so sure, I´ll bet good money on more americans not knowing who Leifur Eiríksson is

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lool75 posted:

I´m not so sure, I´ll bet good money on more americans not knowing who Leifur Eiríksson is

Uuuuuuuuggghhhh. Maybe you should reread the thread to know what he meant? Pretty much every reference has been explained.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Just marathonned this manga, and definitely loving it. Askelad :gonk:

NonEuclidean Testes
Feb 26, 2010
New chapter is out.

The foreshadowing about Ketil's son's brutality and Ketil's dislike of violence worries me. :ohdear:

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Vinland Saga & Historie chapter: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1592

Hoooray! Time for quality FARMING material.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 29, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well that was pretty depressing!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

Well that was pretty depressing!

I agree, though it's good to see more works address the fact that living in a medieval world sucked rear end.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

... Well poo poo. :smith:
That's what I like most about Vinland Saga though... It doesn't candy coat history... or even bother to pick the maggots out.

On the bright side there were three pages with Eumenes in the latest Historie. 14 pages for a monthly consisting of two brief scenes... Vinland Saga moves like lightning in comparison.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I called it about Arneis. I wonder if that is supposed to be a secret, though?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Well, I called it about Arneis. I wonder if that is supposed to be a secret, though?
I envy the naivety of anyone who couldn't guess that the minute she was introduced.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

My Scandinavian history is shamefully inadequate, who is she?

Dancebot
May 21, 2007

"Come, follow me," Cthulhu said, "and I will make you fish that walk like men."

A Lamer posted:

She's just a female slave AFAIK, but her situation wouldn't be all that uncommon in any time period where slavery was practiced.

Related to this: Congratulations Einar, you're going to marry Arneis! Ketil's wife is just doing it to gently caress with Ketil though, so expect your life to turn to poo poo from this point out.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

A Lamer posted:

The main point is that "Oh, she's just a servant that he keeps around the house!" is painfully obvious. I don't even know why I'm spoiling this but just in case.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Death Bot posted:

The main point is that "Oh, she's just a servant that he keeps around the house!" is painfully obvious. I don't even know why I'm spoiling this but just in case.

Oh I guess I misread/lost the context over the month(s) wait. :shobon:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

A Lamer posted:

Oh I guess I misread/lost the context over the month(s) wait. :shobon:

Oh god I'm new here is this one of those mangas where it updates whenever? :gonk:

Brannock posted:

It's a monthly seinen manga. Just bookmark the thread and check back whenever there are posts in it.

New as in new to this manga. I've been reading other stuff, but I've usually been reading either completed manga or popular shonen so I'm more used to weekly updates.

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 30, 2010

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Death Bot posted:

Oh god I'm new here is this one of those mangas where it updates whenever? :gonk:

It's a monthly seinen manga. Just bookmark the thread and check back whenever there are posts in it.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Death Bot posted:

It's usually updated monthly, but I'm pretty sure I'd been waiting 2 weeks (new reader too) for this before one piece went on break for a month, and they're both out this week.

bondster
May 6, 2007

New Chapter

Plot! Character Development! Farming!Fishing!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After all their hard work... Chopping down the trees, clearing the stumps, Need a Horse Parts One and Two... all for nothing.
:smith: Farming saga can be brutal.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

FATHER FROST!!! :argh:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sellanraa Six posted:

FATHER FROST!!! :argh:
Pretty sure that was actually the guys earlier in the chapter who trampled their wheat or something, the stalks are actually broken.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Them's fightin' actions.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
FINALLY! Reason for Thorfinn to beat the poo poo out of some shumuck.

Good loving lord, how many chapters has it been since we even get a hint of a fight coming?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Hahaha you're all getting punked he's just going to resolve it peacefully to show that he's changed of course!

Maybe

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think some of you are reading this manga for the wrong reasons. It isn't a shonen battling manga, we're going to see an actual plot and development.

My speculation is that this is a double curveball since we'll be expecting Thorfinn to kick some rear end but he's going to actually stick with his change of heart. He'll realize Europe is a lovely place to live and, having learned farming and living skills, he'll travel to Vinland and try to start a peaceful community there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brannock posted:

I think some of you are reading this manga for the wrong reasons. It isn't a shonen battling manga, we're going to see an actual plot and development.

Given the whole prologue thing, it's not exactly like anyone waiting for farmstory to turn back into warstory got that idea from nowhere. Besides, it has to turn into an exploration thing at some point.

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.
Awesome chapter! I am still waiting for Canute to show up though.

But yeah everything at the Keitel farm is about to simultaneously gently caress up; and not because of Thorfinn; but expect Thorfinn to murder some people. Also Expect Einar to die in order to snap Thorfinn back into stabby murderness, only to later realize all the things he had learned at travel to Vinland. Maybe we'll see Erikson again, too.

No way in hell Einar will survive.

I also want to know whats going on in iceland.

Kiamet
Feb 2, 2007

In its early days, TV was like a nymphomaniac clairvoyant. A medium you could turn on with a knob.

OneMinusOne posted:

No way in hell Einar will survive.

Don't say that :( He's Thorfinn's first real friend! I'm hoping he sticks around.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I will take the opposite bet: Einar becomes the Thorfinn to Thorfinn's Askeladd.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'll thread the happy middle ground and say he survives and he and his wife go on the cruise to America with Thorfinn. They need some people over there to shoot out some babies and stack 'em high like cordwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I will take the opposite bet: Einar becomes the Thorfinn to Thorfinn's Askeladd.
Nah, Einar isn't going to be a warrior or anything like that (if that's what you're implying), but I do think he'll stick around for Thorfinn's continued farming adventures in Vinland.

tsob posted:

I'll thread the happy middle ground and say he survives and he and his wife go on the cruise to America with Thorfinn. They need some people over there to shoot out some babies and stack 'em high like cordwood.
Interesting historical trivia/spoiler: Thorfinn's son is the first recorded person of European decent to be born in the Americas.