Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Hey guys, are there any must-have mods for Freespace 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Tensokuu posted:

As long as you're using the Source Code Project, not really. You might want to install the higher quality textures, but the SCP installer can do that for you, I believe.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I read about a mod for Gothic 2 Gold once that made the game a bit easier and made stat potions permanent or something, does anyone know about that? I'm about to really play the game for the first time and I read all over that it's balls hard with the expansion, and the controls are so awkward that it's gonna be hard enough as it is. What mods in general should I download before playing?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Flashduck posted:

As long as you're using the Source Code Project, not really. You might want to install the higher quality textures, but the SCP installer can do that for you, I believe.

They need to work on making SCP easier to use.

I downloaded the automatic installer, but that only automates one of the steps. You've still got to follow a badly-written guide on a forum, and download several different files and put them all in the right place.

Or at least, I had to.

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Centipeed posted:

I downloaded the automatic installer, but that only automates one of the steps. You've still got to follow a badly-written guide on a forum, and download several different files and put them all in the right place.

Or at least, I had to.

Really? I just had to install FS2 and run the SCP installer.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Bats posted:

Was Megarace 3 any good? I remember playing the poo poo out of Megarace 1. I mean it was an awful game, but at the same time it was awesome because it was like one of the only racing games we had, and definitely nothing in that style. Me and my brother played it for ages. I'm leery of how it holds up over time tho. Thinking of nabbing those.

Starhawk64 posted:

No, Megarace 3 is a horrible Wipeout clone with a terrible interface and they somehow made Lance Boyle more annoying than he already is. Of course, I've never played the first two games, and I really don't intend to. FMV games just aren't my style.
Hey, MR3 may have been crappy but MegaRace 1 & 2 are still a fun way to spend a few hours if only for Lance Boyle, who is rad :colbert:. They've got great soundtracks similar to Lost Eden, another of CRYO's titles, and the track designs in MR2 are really pretty, although the actual racing element doesn't have any depth. Both are unique games in the racing genre and they have that lush 90's FMV game style to them which I really like (because I'm horribly addicted to the 90's).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Somehow im really interested about The Wheel of Time on gog.com, anyone knows if that will ever happen or any new on gog working about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_%28video_game%29 In case anyone never heard of it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Guillermus posted:

Somehow im really interested about The Wheel of Time on gog.com, anyone knows if that will ever happen or any new on gog working about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_%28video_game%29 In case anyone never heard of it.

Atari bough GT interactive and there are a couple of atari games on there so i guess the only trouble is the WoT license that i think some shady company owns the rights to.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I finally caved and bought the cheesy goodness that is Two World. I have a quick question, though. I'm at the point in the plot where I have just come out of the goat cave and I talked to the guy that wants me to talk to my sister using some node or some poo poo and he says "Return to me when you're ready but we haven't much time." Of course, "haven't much time" is RPG code for "go ahead and live out 2 or 3 decades of your life, become King and most powerful warrior of the realm, build 3 castles, and bed a hundred thousand wenches if that's what you want". Am I reading into this correctly? Can I gently caress off and explore and do side quests now?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Actually I was planning on it! Explain yourself, man!
It was made by the same team who made Syberia, so it looks pretty good, or at least it did at the time (games with pre-rendered backgrounds obviously don't age well with higher resolution screens). But the puzzles are mostly poor and the game ends on a complete cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that isn't resolved until Still-Life 2 came out four years later, which aside from being a lovely game in general just casually dumps a resolution in your lap that doesn't even make coherent sense.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Overwined posted:

Can I gently caress off and explore and do side quests now?

Paying attention to the plot in any way is utterly missing the point of Two Worlds.
I think that by the time I actually finished the plot, I'd probably murdered everything living or undead on the map. Including that stupid golem island.
That said, being a demi-god does make the final boss fight a bit anti-climactic.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Guillermus posted:

It's basically Unreal 1 with worse weapons and a story that'll only serve to annoy you if you play it as a Wheel of Time fan. Do your best to forget about it again.

The multiplayer was inspired though, but I not sure anyone ever played it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Man, Icewind Dale is great! The only other infinity engine game I've enjoyed besides torment.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

psyman posted:

Hey, MR3 may have been crappy but MegaRace 1 & 2 are still a fun way to spend a few hours if only for Lance Boyle, who is rad :colbert:.

Honestly though, Megarace 3 plays better than them and it's still a piece of poo poo. The only enjoyment you can really get out of the first two games these days can easily be found on Youtube.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Overwined posted:

So I finally caved and bought the cheesy goodness that is Two World. I have a quick question, though. I'm at the point in the plot where I have just come out of the goat cave and I talked to the guy that wants me to talk to my sister using some node or some poo poo and he says "Return to me when you're ready but we haven't much time." Of course, "haven't much time" is RPG code for "go ahead and live out 2 or 3 decades of your life, become King and most powerful warrior of the realm, build 3 castles, and bed a hundred thousand wenches if that's what you want". Am I reading into this correctly? Can I gently caress off and explore and do side quests now?

You can do whatever you want, it's so great. Also, you may know this already but you can combine anything if you have two of the same i.e. Grom shields, swords, quivers, armor, rings, magic (and this is great, stack 5 of a basic spell for awesomeness), etc. It totally changes the whole dynamic of the game, allowing you to stack lovely equipment then sell it for a ton of money (or use it, whatever floats your boat). Quivers are the best for $, hold on to an eagle or hawk since those seem to be common.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've heard it said that Two Worlds is bad on console but good on PC? Why is that?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've heard it said that Two Worlds is bad on console but good on PC? Why is that?

It's bad on both but the console version runs like poo poo and if I remember correctly it hasn't been patched.

That said, it's a charming kind of bad on the PC. I enjoyed it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Forsooth!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Threep posted:

It's basically Unreal 1 with worse weapons and a story that'll only serve to annoy you if you play it as a Wheel of Time fan. Do your best to forget about it again.

The multiplayer was inspired though, but I not sure anyone ever played it.
There shouldn't be any such thing as a Wheel of Time fan any more.

I could only play the first few levels because there seemed to be some permanent flaw with my disc copy and it would crash after level 3 or so on any system I tried it on :(

Still, I loved the level design, and the weapons seemed fine.

The graphics were fantastic for the time. I remember things like particles and animated rainwater on textures being significant upgrades from the base Unreal engine.

The only thing I remember being particularly stupid was that puff of smoke in the dead city that chased you. It was still kind of scary in its own way, but nothing like the book.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Centipeed posted:

Or at least, I had to.

There is really nothing else to have to do beyond installing FS2 then running Turey's Installer. :confused:

Tensokuu posted:

First play the stock campaign. Then play through Derelict, Sync, Transcend and Blue Planet at least. They're all installable through Turey's Installer, and they're all arguably as good as the stock campaign. (Sync and Transcend for different reasons though as they tend to go more for telling a story than anything else, but they are amazing.)

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 24, 2010

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, I had an old single giant file for it, but they've since dubbed it :filez: for some reason. Still, even that was a giant zip I just plunked into the FS2 directory. The new util runs, downloads, and pats you on the back...

[accusatory stare]What did you try and do to a fully-automated installer on your own? You were trying to be crafty weren't you?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Actually I was planning on it! Explain yourself, man!

Game has a cool premise but just falls apart about halfway through. The sequel wasn't any better.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hey, following up the FS2 stuff, does anybody have any experience installing mods on the mac version of FS2 open?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kuddles posted:

It was made by the same team who made Syberia, so it looks pretty good, or at least it did at the time (games with pre-rendered backgrounds obviously don't age well with higher resolution screens). But the puzzles are mostly poor and the game ends on a complete cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that isn't resolved until Still-Life 2 came out four years later, which aside from being a lovely game in general just casually dumps a resolution in your lap that doesn't even make coherent sense.

ZeeBoi posted:

Game has a cool premise but just falls apart about halfway through. The sequel wasn't any better.

Point made. Thanks guys.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I'm playing Fallout 1 for the first time ever (loved 3, figured I'd get some old school Fallout in me before playing Vegas).

I found I pretty immediately get to the point where my inventory is full. Is there anywhere I can STORE the stuff I want to keep instead of selling it and hoping I don't want/need it later? Alternatively, if I sell something to someone, will that person still have that in their inventory 10 days after I sell it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is no storage system; just stop worrying and roll with it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm sure you can find an empty building in a town you frequent often and drop your stuff in a locker or bookcase.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
or just pick up a companion pack mule

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Brian Fellows posted:

I'm playing Fallout 1 for the first time ever (loved 3, figured I'd get some old school Fallout in me before playing Vegas).

I found I pretty immediately get to the point where my inventory is full. Is there anywhere I can STORE the stuff I want to keep instead of selling it and hoping I don't want/need it later? Alternatively, if I sell something to someone, will that person still have that in their inventory 10 days after I sell it?

in Fallout 1, your companions have infinite storage. Combine that with the fact that it is not too difficult to make it so that shopkepers pay you a percentage, it is entirely possible for your companions to be carrying every single item in the game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ducttape posted:

in Fallout 1, your companions have infinite storage. Combine that with the fact that it is not too difficult to make it so that shopkepers pay you a percentage, it is entirely possible for your companions to be carrying every single item in the game.

Yea, but didn't you have to steal or barter it all back? I don't recall FO2's system where you traded stuff back and forth.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Yea, but didn't you have to steal or barter it all back? I don't recall FO2's system where you traded stuff back and forth.

You have to use the steal button, but they never caught you, nor do you receive experience for it. I just look at it as a bit of bad UI.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Yeah, you do have to steal it back, but there aren't any skill checks for it nor do they mind.

EDIT: Beaten.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 25, 2010

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
How long is the Freespace Open Installer supposed to take for the works? Its been going for hours now and theres no overall progress bar

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rabhadh posted:

How long is the Freespace Open Installer supposed to take for the works? Its been going for hours now and theres no overall progress bar

Expect hours, there is no total progress bar. Just set it t go in the morning and go out for the day.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has GOG given up on the whole new-games-on-Tuesdays schedule? There wasn't anything today and I feel like it's been a few weeks since they actually added something on a Tuesday.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

macnbc posted:

So has GOG given up on the whole new-games-on-Tuesdays schedule? There wasn't anything today and I feel like it's been a few weeks since they actually added something on a Tuesday.

Pretty sure it's been Wednesdays for the past few weeks.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Sorry for double post but NEVERWINTER NIGHTS is up now. I didn't expect it to be honest, mostly because its online component was tied to an account if I remember correctly. I really wonder what they did about that.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Sorry for double post but NEVERWINTER NIGHTS is up now. I didn't expect it to be honest, mostly because its online component was tied to an account if I remember correctly. I really wonder what they did about that.
Someone buy it and tell us what they did with the CD keys. DRM free is a tricky thing in the case of NWN because it's the server that validates your CD key when you play online.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Threep posted:

Someone buy it and tell us what they did with the CD keys. DRM free is a tricky thing in the case of NWN because it's the server that validates your CD key when you play online.
I could have swore there are some games on GOG that come with unique CD Keys for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, DRM free is a nice idea, but it only works up until you've got a game with online accounts. It's kinda a necessity there.