Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So last night I ran my first race.

Or, at least, tried to. Now I know why the Strike is so despised. First heat, I get the truck out, run a practice lap, and on the third turn, SNAP. Busted the camber link and lower shock mount. Missed that heat while fixing it.

Second heat, I did OK for a first-timer; 12 laps in 4:00, best lap 14.4 (leader ran 14 laps, best lap 9.5, average laptime on the field was around 13ish). I was pretty happy. I wasn't the slowest at all, and spanked a stock Slash pretty hard.

Third heat, I get 3 laps in, and bust the other camber link. :ughh:

Today, after getting the front end set back up, I run it for about 15-20 minutes, and bam, the other lower shock mount busts, bending the shock arm. I fix that, and run another 10 minutes or so, and it starts acting like it's got a dying battery on one I just charged. As it gets closer, the godawful grinding noise makes it apparent that the idler gear is chewed up. Luckily, I've got a steel replacement one coming on Monday.

I'll be SOOO glad when the XXX-SCT comes out. Honestly, I'll probably just wind up getting that to bash around the yard (and my makeshift-but-slowly-improving track) with, maybe an occasional race, and pick up a TC4 or TC5 to actually race. The cars just seem better suited to parking-lot racing than an offroad vehicle.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

eames posted:

You should try to make a video of that little Cessna! :unsmith:

Anyway, all of those prices on hobbyking are completely stupid.
Receivers for <10$ and you dont even need a crystal for it. And the planes!

Was the expo/dualrate behavior fixed for version 2 of the transmitter?
I keep reading that activating expo disables dual-rate (or vice versa) which seems all kinds of stupid to me.

I kind of want to get one of the $12 keychain cameras from dealextreme to take some video from the air. On a 2-series battery and the stock motor, it can almost hover and has no trouble doing loops and little zero-radius herbst-maneuver type stuff (I usually do these by accident), so I don't think an extra 30 grams or so would affect how it flies too badly. Should be fun. :)

I'm not sure how expo/DR was on the original one, but on the V2 it seems to work well. You can set a two-way switch for each axis, and then each switch setting can have its own custom DR and expo, both set separately. So, for instance, I have a setting where the maximum control deflection is 50% with exponential mapping, so the center is really insensitive for places where twitchiness is not a good thing -- then I can toggle the switch to the other position and it switches to 100% deflection and linear mapping for maximum aerobatics and stuff. I think there's even a little feature where you can press a button and it plays a pre-programmed sequence of actions, so you can have an automatic snap-roll button or something, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Here's the programming screen for DR/expo:

(Top) is with the switch in position A, for slow responses. Flip the switch and the programming goes to whatever you have on that switch position, which is currently set to linear (middle). You can then adjust the values of D/R (max deflection) and expo (linearity) individually. It's set on aileron here, but you can do it for aileron, rudder and elevator; if you want to put dual rates on your throttle or landing gear for some insane reason I'm pretty sure the mixing functions allow you to do that in a slightly more obscure way.

All this for $54.99! I feel like there has to be some catch with how cheap this stuff is.

Then I remember that I get to enjoy this through the exploitation of poor sweatshop workers and the wholesale whoring-out of our economy to the Chinese, and I get sort of depressed. :smith:

Then I go fly a plane :unsmith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What brand is that cessna?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I really love the cheapness of hobbyking stuff. I don't feel bad putting servos into some little experiment when they are so cheap.

I got bored last night and whipped up this little guy. Its from the That looks about right school of design.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

helno fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 18, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phat_Albert posted:

What brand is that cessna?

Look for brands like Nine Eagles on eBay.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I bought a Parkzone T-28D Trojan and its my first aileron plane. I do well with aileron planes in the sim, but I'm nervous as hell to maiden it for real. Everyone on RCGroups says its a great flier and a great second plane, despite having ailerons and being low-wing.

Any tips for maidening a 4-channel plane?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So how long does it take to get batteries from Hobbyking on average? I ordered 2 LIPOs and that charger orange lime recommended, and I'm on week 2 since my last shipping update... I realize it has to be shipped via boat, but I figured I'd see SOMETHING by now. Also, how does SwissPost work? I've never heard of them before.. do they just hand the stuff off to USPS once it gets to the US or something?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Flying a plane with ailerons is not much different than flying a rudder only plane. What makes it different is the ailerons give you a much higher rl rate and you do not need to hold aileron input in to maintain the turn. You will probably require more elevator input that you are used to on a rudder only plane.

I cant vouch for hobbyking shipping to the states but when I get stuff up here in Canada the final delivery is handled by Canada Post. Typical shipping for me goes like this.

-Place order
-Item shipped out 1-2 days
-Item arrives in Canada 2-3 days
-Item sits in customs 1-20 days
-Item gets to my local post office 1-2 days
-Local post office loses package and or delivers it to my neighbors house

So two weeks is not unusual. They have been getting better my first order took nearly a month but my latest order was at my door in four business days.

PS I test flew my little wing and it flew very well even in the high winds we have had this week.

Edit: VVVV Never backorder something unless you don't need it for a long time.

helno fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 22, 2010

eames
May 9, 2009

My order from Hobbyking hasn’t even shipped yet, I assume because of the Transmitter that is still on backorder. :smith:

At this rate I’ll probably have the stuff arrive around christmas (not an exaggeration).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TremorX posted:

So how long does it take to get batteries from Hobbyking on average? I ordered 2 LIPOs and that charger orange lime recommended, and I'm on week 2 since my last shipping update... I realize it has to be shipped via boat, but I figured I'd see SOMETHING by now. Also, how does SwissPost work? I've never heard of them before.. do they just hand the stuff off to USPS once it gets to the US or something?

Battery shipping is terrible from HK, as Hong Kong just changed their rules for shipping lipos and they take way longer to make it through customs now. Mine took over a month. It went from HK to Germany, to the US. Swisspost is also bad at updating. My tracking info didnt get updated on a timely basis at all, it was horrible.

For generic HK motors, ESC's and batteries, I recommend http://www.headsuprc.com if you're in the US. They have similar prices and they ship from Florida. I ordered a motor for my slow stick and had it in two days.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
drat this thread, it made me go to the storage shed and bust out my 4 year old Mini-T. Couldn't find the charger and my batteries were toast, add a bad servo to the mix. 60 bucks later my little retarded truck is a terror of the neighborhood street. I forgot how fun it was to drive around and break plastic parts.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

Well, I bought a Parkzone T-28D Trojan and its my first aileron plane. I do well with aileron planes in the sim, but I'm nervous as hell to maiden it for real. Everyone on RCGroups says its a great flier and a great second plane, despite having ailerons and being low-wing.

Any tips for maidening a 4-channel plane?

I had one of these as a second plane and beat the poo poo out of it taking off and landing in my tiny suburban backyard. It flew with minimal rebuilding for as many charges as it took the stock battery to stop working. Find somewhere grassy to land, cut the power, and glide in shallow. That thing will tumble and roll pretty well with little to no damage to its light foam body.

Other than that, be advised that it will go pretty drat fast especially with a tail wind and it's easy for it to get far enough away that you can fall victim to reversible perspective and think you're going to gagressively roll/climb to safety but actually swing it right into the earth. Use the lowest amount of power that you can perform safe flying at until you get a feel for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Did anyone else goto the iHobby Expo this weekend?

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
A RC plane thread would be good. Here's some of my collection - I generally like 'profile' planes that look ugly, but fly great.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Here's my friend who flies helicopters trying the same thing:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

My current favorite - .82ci 4stroke attached to a plane weighing about 4lbs.

I'm getting more into the micro indoor planes now, there's a lot of fun stuff coming out in that market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5N1S0ITqo

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Manny posted:

Here's my friend who flies helicopters trying the same thing:

This is a brilliant shot, I have to say :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I had one of these as a second plane and beat the poo poo out of it taking off and landing in my tiny suburban backyard. It flew with minimal rebuilding for as many charges as it took the stock battery to stop working. Find somewhere grassy to land, cut the power, and glide in shallow. That thing will tumble and roll pretty well with little to no damage to its light foam body.

Other than that, be advised that it will go pretty drat fast especially with a tail wind and it's easy for it to get far enough away that you can fall victim to reversible perspective and think you're going to gagressively roll/climb to safety but actually swing it right into the earth. Use the lowest amount of power that you can perform safe flying at until you get a feel for it.

I maidened it yesterday. Finally it quit raining and the wind died down, so I packed the plane up and went to a nearby field. Of course when I got there it started drizzling and the wind picked back up, but I was doing this no matter what.

After a couple failed ground take-offs due to the longer grass, I hand launched it and it flew beautifully. No trim required, although I did take the time to trim the control rods as close as I could eyeball them pre-flight.

Did a few laps and a few nose-over landings due to the same too-long grass, but all went well, with no damage. I really have to say I like this plane so far! It is quick, and can get away fast, but I've been cruising at 1/2 throttle to get used to it.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

eames posted:

Since this seems to be the closest thing to a RC-megathread on SA, I‘ll have to ask here:

When the heck did RC-planes become so cheap? I last flew 5 years ago with a Zagi foam wing plane and recall that it cost me around $400 all set up with a cheap 480 brushed motor.
How am I supposed to not buy one of these? Or two, or three… :ohdear:

This certainly isn't helping either.

http://fpvsystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_24&products_id=5

There are other kits for around $500 dollars that get you this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Y2yS5gbhs&feature=related .
You need to supply your own goggles, plane, and radio.

Any recommendations for a good first plane?

Edit: A nice in stock plane.

Double Edit: Even the controller is backordered :(

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 25, 2010

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
What is the most fun that can be had for less than 100$ ? Preferably something on wheels rather than flying, but I'm open to suggestions.

My brother in law (27yo) wanted this : http://toys.about.com/od/toyreviews/gr/Tonka-Ricochet-Rc-Car-New-Rc-Car-From-Tonka-Speeds-Over-Obstacles.htm

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Spatule posted:

What is the most fun that can be had for less than 100$ ? Preferably something on wheels rather than flying, but I'm open to suggestions.

My brother in law (27yo) wanted this : http://toys.about.com/od/toyreviews/gr/Tonka-Ricochet-Rc-Car-New-Rc-Car-From-Tonka-Speeds-Over-Obstacles.htm

That's junk. He'll have to spend a bit more to get something actually worth playing with. Check out the Traxxas Rustler XL-5. Comes RTR.

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Rustler-Stadium-Truck-TRA3705/dp/B002PFLT62

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
http://www.rcmania.com/air-hogs-osprey/

Sounds fun, is available locally. Yes / no ?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got one of those Tamiya Micro Terrain Titans the other day - I think it's a Grasshopper, but I didn't have a picture reference on hand at the toy store to pick it up. The suspension is pretty impressive - it seems like it can do camber, caster and toe, and the rear trailing-arm suspension is pretty decent as well (though I had to snap the axle back in when I took it out of the package).

Interestingly, the little manual that comes with it tells you how to swap out the motor, but it cautions you that it only works with that exact Micro Terrain Titan and not to swap in any other motors. Sure, Tamiya. I'll get right on not upgrading the motor of a car that weighs less than a single AA.

I got this one, which doesn't seem to look anything like a Grasshopper in retrospect. I know they had a Hornet as well at the store, and there's a blurry picture of another kind of car on the back of my package, but they didn't have it in stock.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

IIRC the motors are the same as the microsizers/bitchar-g cars. Modify away! Hell, wanna buy some off of me?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I actually have a BitCharG Supra, and my younger brother has an NSX that he managed to ruin one of the wheels of, so some spare tires/axles would be neat. Is that bugeye Subaru for sale?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My LiPos and Accucell 6 came today. Hooooly poo poo what a difference these make over NiMHs! I knew I'd get longevity, but I didn't expect the dramatic jump in both torque and top-end. I'm going to have to gear it up just so I can keep from spinning around in circles on dirt.

The charger is fantastic, too. I watched a few how-tos on YouTube and I was up and going in minutes with it. I definitely feel like I've taken a big step into the hobby now, even with a mediocre RTR.

I raced again Friday night - all around MUCH better experience. I still broke a few parts and had one really gnarly crash where I came off a jump and kept rolling front-over-back for like 30 feet (broke a shock mount, bent the shock shaft, and lost the slip clutch dust cover), but in all of the heats I ran, I was able to work traffic and get up to second within 2 laps, and actually hold it for two more before either having a mechanical failure, getting bumped by someone (which kinda ticked me off at first, since I was trying to race clean), and running the wrong goddamned battery in the B-Main and having to swap it out 3 laps in - putting me down 3 laps, 2 of which I made back up to finish not-last.

Just holding second like I did was a HUGE rush, and now that I'm not running crappy NiMHs and have finally found my sweet-spot setup for asphalt I think this month I might actually be able to do something. gently caress, I'm becoming addicted. It's all I can do to keep from hitting "Place Order" for a TC4.

My Jr. Crew Chief going down the pre-race checklist:

TremorX fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 3, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually have a BitCharG Supra, and my younger brother has an NSX that he managed to ruin one of the wheels of, so some spare tires/axles would be neat. Is that bugeye Subaru for sale?

In theory yes. I really don't want the whole lot of them hanging around anymore. Roughly half of the cars have blown up nicads... and I can source replacements. I picked up some transmitters recently too.

Make an offer. nerobro at gmail and such.

TremorX posted:

My LiPos and Accucell 6 came today. Hooooly poo poo what a difference these make over NiMHs! I knew I'd get longevity, but I didn't expect the dramatic jump in both torque and top-end. I'm going to have to gear it up just so I can keep from spinning around in circles on dirt.

Welcome to the magic of internal resistance. Lipo's have almost none. ;-)

You don't necessarily want to gear up, as that will increse current draw on the motor and may tax your cells. Most speed controls have some form of current limiting you should take advantage of. You'll get the same net effect, and not make little hydrogen baloons from your pretty lipos.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Spatule posted:

http://www.rcmania.com/air-hogs-osprey/

Sounds fun, is available locally. Yes / no ?

I haven't had a go on one myself but they look quite fun. This thread has some more info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312125

I think they're very similar/the same as the Silverlit V-Jet which may give you more review/purchasing options. All the Silverlit stuff I've tried so far has been pretty good, although they are built to a price-point.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Somehow this :

Click here for the full 1500x1125 image.

Traxxas E-revo VXL

is less expensive than this :

Click here for the full 1100x825 image.

Traxxas Rustler VXL

Which one should I get ? I'm concerned about the E-revo being not so reliable/sturdy, and the Rustler being overpowered for 2WD.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That's because that's a 1/16th scale e-revo, while the rustler is 1/10th. The e-revo is about half the size of that rustler.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

That's because that's a 1/16th scale e-revo, while the rustler is 1/10th. The e-revo is about half the size of that rustler.

Ok that's even worse, I want something compact. Although the Rustler isn't that much bigger.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Here is something neat for the indoor guys. A few glider flyer's have started doing indoor aerotowing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328733

As a (non current) fullsize glider pilot I feel the need to try this so I am going to put together a 1/16th scale Schweizer 2-33a and do it up in air cadet colours.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Spatule posted:

Ok that's even worse, I want something compact. Although the Rustler isn't that much bigger.

If you want compact, the 1/16 is the way to go. The 1/10 car is much, much bigger in person. I have the 1/16 E-Revo VXL, and it's pretty sturdy. I've only broken it once, when I drifted it into a brick wall at 20+ mph. And it just broke the lower control arm. $5 later, it was better than new.

Whichever one you get, LiPo batteries are a must. Mine has over an hour of runtime with LiPos, and about 20 minutes with the stock batteries.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I am looking to get back into R/C cars. What is the best site to order from? Towerhobbies just doesn't seem to have the selection anymore.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I order often from A Main Hobbies, they stock most of the major brands sold in the U.S. Plus you have the option of free shipping if your order is over $100 :woop:

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Burn the Priest posted:

I order often from A Main Hobbies, they stock most of the major brands sold in the U.S. Plus you have the option of free shipping if your order is over $100 :woop:

Thanks, seems like a good site. I'm thinking about buying a pair of the 1/24 team losi cars for basement racing with my son. I really liked the RC18's I had from TA but the 1/24 size seems much more convenient for basement use.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

TremorX posted:

Just holding second like I did was a HUGE rush, and now that I'm not running crappy NiMHs and have finally found my sweet-spot setup for asphalt I think this month I might actually be able to do something.

Raced again last night, had an absolute blast! Ran 3 heats, finished all three without a single mechanical problem and didn't break anything at all.

I finished a pretty close 3rd/6 on my first heat, which was a really good race - there was a little bumping and banging around, but for the most part everyone on the track was running pretty good and close together.

The second heat was an utter clusterfuck - someone's kids decided that they'd watch the race by standing on the track, which caused a huge pileup and put half the field 2 laps down (myself included), but I went on to finish 4th/5, one lap down.

The final one was another great race - everyone running very solid with lots of passing and actual racing. The same pain-in-the-rear end kids knocked down the caution tape we had set up around the track, RIGHT as I was coming around that corner, which tangled my truck up and sent it flipping down the straight. Still, no breakage, and I finished 3rd/6.

I think I'm close to a good setup. I was running a lot of positive camber to help stop rollovers, but with the asphalt being cold and a bit damp, everyone was insanely loose around the corners (the touring cars were a blast to watch, with them unintentionally drifting a lot) so I could have definitely used a bit more steering. If we run again this month, I think I'm going to bring the camber in a bit so I don't have to swing my corners so wide. I was losing a position on almost all of the tight corners, but gaining them back on the longer ones where I could power through them.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 13, 2010

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Because of all you assholes here getting me all excited about the R/C hobby, my bank account is $400 shorter than it was 5 minutes ago. Since it's your fault, I expect compensation. I take Paypal.

Anyways, I got this and got $12.50 off using coupon code JJDPP1012 at amainhobbies.com

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...k-w-24Ghz-Radio

I even picked rush processing and overnight shipping....I'm slightly excited.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Slash 4x4 owns. Really one of the best Traxxas designs.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I'm loving my Slash 4x4 as well. Throw some LiPo's in it and you will be very happy.

I ended up ordering (3) 2S 25C 5200mAh LiPo's and an Accucel-6 charger from Hobbyking. I ended up getting my order in about a week. I can't complain about them one bit! (I have heard other people complain about shipping times and customer service, but I had a great experience. YMMV)

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What kind of run times are you getting on lipo's? I'm just going to be on pavement/grass mostly, unless it gets muddy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I just finished my first custom paint job...

Nothing fancy, but I thought it turned out OK for a first try. I designed a custom decal sheet for it, too, and a friend was supposed to print them up for me but I think he flaked out on me. Anyone know somewhere I could get some decals printed & cut on the cheap?

Jebediah - I've been running about 5 minutes to avoid burning up my motor & ESC, but a good 5 minute run drops my 20c from 8.4 to around 7.8. So, I'd guess, barring a motor meltdown, you could probably get 10-15 minutes easy. If you're running in grass, keep a sharp eye on the temp.