Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really
Is this costume a specific reference to something?

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

SuperS posted:

Is this costume a specific reference to something?

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

I don't know of any specific explorer from the era of Henry Morton Stanley ever confirmed captured by cannibals. These sites sum up the meme:

IndieFilm.com posted:

First, we'll start with what I call "Cannibal Comedy Cliché." This includes all of the clichés associated with the spear chucking black savages popularized by humorists since the nineteenth century. These clichés appear in such films as Abbot and Costello's "Africa Screams" or Bob Hope and Bing Crosby's "Road to Zanzibar" and "Road to Bali." It can also be found in children's cartoons such as Betty Boop in "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You" and "Zula Hula" or Porky Pig's version of Robinson Crusoe. Understandably, these cliched images are very tame and somewhat humorous, with the stranded protagonists usually being cooked alive in the Big Black Cannibal Pot while the natives dance around. These are obviously very racist images.

TV Tropes posted:

One specific, discredited version of Im A Humanitarian is the idea that when people from the "civilized world" encounter "natives" in a locality, they are in danger of being eaten by them. They may initially think they are being treated as a respected guest or even a god, but then, without fail, out come the pots and the chanting.

Sometimes, the eating aspect isn't as stressed, but the idea remains that the outsider will be attacked and sacrificed instantly upon entering foreign territory.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kapalama posted:

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

Rather than calling someone a chicken, as kids, we'd tell people they had chicken skin if they were afraid of something. That's North UK. I suppose its similar, someone who is scared will have goosebumps?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does spraypaint work on cloth? Thin cloth, like a cheap lab coat.

It doesn't have to work *well* in the long term, just not destroy it or stiffen it or be poisonous or anything. For a Halloween costume, obviously.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get into plumbing? How do I get a trainee plumbing license for an apprenticeship? Will I need to find a trade school to start first? Can anyone recommend one in the Seattle area? I've tried google, but I can't seem to find specific answers to these questions.

Try in the plumbing thread. The OP is from Spokane if I'm not mistaken, and may know of particulars in Washington state that would be helpful.

kapalama posted:

Never heard this expression before. I've always heard them called goosebumps or occasionally goosepimples, though I think that may be a mostly british expression.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is there a website where former employees can go and review old employers for people looking for jobs?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Huntersoninski posted:

Is there a website where former employees can go and review old employers for people looking for jobs?

http://www.jobvent.com/

And here's a Canadian one. http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

kapalama posted:

Not really what you were asking, but to contribute: in Dutch the term is chicken skin rather than goose bumps, as well.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I'm crossposting this from the Residency Megathread in the Goon Doctor in the hopes of getting more replies.

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge of/experience with the medical system in Spanish-speaking countries, specifically Argentina and Cuba. I have a friend in her 1st year of Ob/Gyn residency here in Canada (Quebec) who speaks French and Spanish fluently. She works absurd shifts (normal here) due to the shortage of physicians in all fields wrought by poor management of the universal health care system, both in term of workforce and costs. God knows we need all the doctors we have, but I could never resent her for seeking greener pastures, even though she loves what she does now. I guess my question is: Is this situation (insane hours, staff shortage, generally brutal working conditions, etc.) widespread?

She is a second-generation Argentinian immigrant, so she could easily obtain citizenship (she may even already have it). Argentina is not exactly a first world country in the strictest sense of the word, but I've wondered about the quality of care/medical education, facilities, working conditions, salaries, reputation,..., in short, the Argentinian health care system in general. Same with Cuba, since I've heard that their doctors are really good. I don't know if that's just a rumor and how to verify it though... also how any excellence in the medical field could be offset by living under a dictatorship.

Any insight/references would be appreciated. She's a really committed person; she loves her job despite all the ridiculous poo poo, but sometimes I wish her life could be easier.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kapalama posted:

Haven't heard that, but in addition to the other similar words/phrases offered so far, I've heard gooseflesh occasionally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

https://www.glassdoor.com is the largest and most popular.

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
How do I correctly realign the nose pads of my sunglasses? They appear crooked on my face.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Miskatonic posted:

How do I correctly realign the nose pads of my sunglasses? They appear crooked on my face.

With your fingers? Just bend them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

haveblue posted:

Does spraypaint work on cloth? Thin cloth, like a cheap lab coat.
Not well. What you want is fabric paint. You can get it at any big craft store and it's pretty much idiot-proof.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there something I can download (for Mac OSX) that displays the download/upload rate for my current internet connection?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there something I can download (for Mac OSX) that displays the download/upload rate for my current internet connection?

Most routers will tell you the official rate on a statistics page of the administrative GUI. To get the approximative real (current) values you can run an online test; just search "DSL speed test" and pick a server as close to you as possible.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I just got new license plates after moving to Maryland. My plate looks like the one below (but that's not actually mine):

How do I treat the two letters on the right? If I'm writing this plate number down, would I write "18987CB" or just "18987"?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Childlike Empress posted:

How do I treat the two letters on the right? If I'm writing this plate number down, would I write "18987CB" or just "18987"?

18987CB.

Doctor Video Games
Oct 12, 2010
Heres a random one: if I hooked up 2 AA batteries to my iPhone, how long would it last for?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Wyatt posted:

18987CB.
Thanks!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Sooo I have braces and a palate expander and I forgot to tell my great aunt. Why does this matter? Because my great aunt sends me a totally sweet tin of Popcorn Factory popcorn every Halloween-ish :cry: It arrived today.

So what I'm asking is, what's the deal with braces & popcorn? I know I'm not supposed to eat it, but is it a crunching thing or something more insidious? Because I can totally chew carefully or just suck on it I guess.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sooo I have braces and a palate expander and I forgot to tell my great aunt. Why does this matter? Because my great aunt sends me a totally sweet tin of Popcorn Factory popcorn every Halloween-ish :cry: It arrived today.

So what I'm asking is, what's the deal with braces & popcorn? I know I'm not supposed to eat it, but is it a crunching thing or something more insidious? Because I can totally chew carefully or just suck on it I guess.

I think it's the little flat sharp bits of kernel that get wedged into your teeth. I imagine those pose a problem with braces.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Underflow posted:

Most routers will tell you the official rate on a statistics page of the administrative GUI. To get the approximative real (current) values you can run an online test; just search "DSL speed test" and pick a server as close to you as possible.

I'm pretty sure he wants a real time display of how much he's actively using his connection, not how fast his connection is flat out.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good OS X software for this, but he should check out the OS X software megathread in SH/SC.

Doctor Video Games posted:

Heres a random one: if I hooked up 2 AA batteries to my iPhone, how long would it last for?

Well I have one of these, http://www.igo.com/accessories/powerxtender-charger/invt/ps002640004/ and although the thing says up to 10 hours of battery extension on "devices" it'll charge my iPhone 3GS for about 3 hours before draining the AAs completely and after that I can continue to use the phone another couple hours from that. Really handy device.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 25, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

A lot of that stuff is precautionary so that you don't rip your braces off or get something lodged into them that requires a visit to the ortho. I chewed gum like every day when I had braces and was fine. This is probably along the same lines: use at your own risk.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I don't know about palate extenders, but I had braces and I occasionally ate popcorn. I think I usually did it one or two pieces at a time, didn't eat too much and mostly let it melt on my tongue rather than chewing it a lot. YMMV.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

thehandtruck posted:

What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

Why not audacity? If you're having problems with that, you may have the same problem with other software.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

gwar3k1 posted:

Why not audacity? If you're having problems with that, you may have the same problem with other software.

It's strange, there's something about it not supporting Vista/7 with streaming audio, like you can only use the beta. But capturing mp3's and what not works fine.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
My dentist gave me a $100 'professional courtesy' discount and I was just wondering what it meant. I don't work in the medical industry and don't know anyone who does. The only thing I can think of is that she originally estimated the work I needed to cost about $200 less than it actually did and she knows I'm a fairly broke student so maybe she felt sorry for me?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Beasticly posted:

My dentist gave me a $100 'professional courtesy' discount and I was just wondering what it meant. I don't work in the medical industry and don't know anyone who does. The only thing I can think of is that she originally estimated the work I needed to cost about $200 less than it actually did and she knows I'm a fairly broke student so maybe she felt sorry for me?

She's probably discounting because she accidentally left a drill bit in your tooth....

...seriously though, it's probably a part of the deal with your insurer in which they are not allowed to discount your liability unless there are extenuating circumstances. Basically the insurer wants to make sure you are getting properly hosed financially so there is not an incentive for you to seek the care you need.

So yes, she felt sorry for your broke rear end. ;)

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

thehandtruck posted:

It's strange, there's something about it not supporting Vista/7 with streaming audio, like you can only use the beta. But capturing mp3's and what not works fine.

Can you use video recording software and extract the audio, perhaps VirtualDub? Sorry, I don't have any other audio suggestions, only what Google says.

Is it that you don't have a stereo mix in audacity? I can't test because my laptop lacks stereo mix on windows 7 :(

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

thehandtruck posted:

look at the software for your sound card. I think sometimes it comes with recording software. I can't believe audacity wouldn't work though.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Is there anyway to blow up pictures on the computer without them becoming all pixelated and blurry? I want to be this for halloween (ignore that fact that this particular picture is probably photoshopped): http://www.wtfcostumes.com/drunk_youtube_guy_costume.php

So basically I want to screenshot a youtube page, but make it gigantically sized then print it out in pieces and paste them together on cardboard, but how do I keep the screenshot a decent quality while blowing it up?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

Is there anyway to blow up pictures on the computer without them becoming all pixelated and blurry? I want to be this for halloween (ignore that fact that this particular picture is probably photoshopped): http://www.wtfcostumes.com/drunk_youtube_guy_costume.php

So basically I want to screenshot a youtube page, but make it gigantically sized then print it out in pieces and paste them together on cardboard, but how do I keep the screenshot a decent quality while blowing it up?

ENHANCE!!!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Arakan posted:

ghetto way of doing it: hold down CTRL then mousewheel up a bunch of times. Then do a bunch of screenshots.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

thehandtruck posted:

I use Screamer Radio.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

BorderPatrol posted:

ENHANCE!!!

idgi

Schweinhund posted:

ghetto way of doing it: hold down CTRL then mousewheel up a bunch of times. Then do a bunch of screenshots.

Yea, I tried zooming in. I'm not sure if it will be big enough, but the quality isn't terrible. I'll have to print out a logo or something and test it out.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Arakan posted:

Google for high res images of the you tube logo. Text doesn't take effort to resize. If you have the patience, you can redraw the frame yourself in an image editer thats better than Paint.

If you don't mind about quality, you could always Rasterbate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

idgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk