Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
Carls dead too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Everyones dead man.

Except Glen.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I really loving hope that you guys didn't spoil something huge.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The zombies were created by aliens but good news is that Tyreese aint dead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So people are posting fake spoilers and nobody went with the Rick is still in a coma and it's all in his head spoiler? For shame.

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006

Deadpool posted:

So people are posting fake spoilers and nobody went with the Rick is still in a coma and it's all in his head spoiler? For shame.

Hey man spoiler that poo poo

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

sorry

On a more relevant note. I am waiting to see if Kirkman deals with my biggest question in any Zombie movie..... SO who is keeping all the nuclear plants from blowing up/melting down? I mean sure there is a lot of fail safes in place, but sooner or later there is gonna be some poo poo going down and then we got radioactive zombies spreading out all over the place.

RandomEffects fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 9, 2010

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Why the hell do people think Nuclear reactors are boiling fonts of pure, uncontrollable energy barely contained by a few rusty locks and one dude pushing really hard on the door?

It's not like there's a small sun trapped in a furnace waiting to get out and give everyone superpowered cancer. It's mostly boiling water and steam with uranium buried under a fuckton of concrete. The greatest meltdowns happened because of catastrophic problems within the plant itself and poor shielding. They have actually crashed planes into mock modern reactor towers to see WHAT WOULD HAPPEN and the planes didn't survive.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Believe it or not, the Nuclear thing kind of got covered in Crossed :)

If the government didn't decommission the plants at the start of the crisis it would take more than a few zombies hitting buttons to make them explode - apparently there's all kinds of fail-safes and things involved and if you don't know the system like the back of your hand their pretty much just useless.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure that most reactors in North American have a series of safeties that will shut down the reactor if there are any issues and no response from operators. I don't think it's a big issue, as there aren't very many of them in the US. Someone in the Crossed thread talked about how hard it is to get a reactor to overload. There's a small one in Portland, but I doubt anything could cause it to explode or leak radiation.

One thing I have respected about the Walking Dead is that it's pretty realistic. You know, for a comic about zombies....

Derrio
Oct 13, 2010

That's not funny.

CaptainPete posted:

One thing I have respected about the Walking Dead is that it's pretty realistic. You know, for a comic about zombies....
For a comic about zombies, it sure does a lot of focus on characters. :P

This book is great because it's Kirkman's completely uneducated guess as to how people from diverse backgrounds would react to Armageddon.

Who wants to guess that Carl runs away and gets caught by the prowlers in 78?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CaptainPete posted:

I'm pretty sure that most reactors in North American have a series of safeties that will shut down the reactor if there are any issues and no response from operators. I don't think it's a big issue, as there aren't very many of them in the US. Someone in the Crossed thread talked about how hard it is to get a reactor to overload. There's a small one in Portland, but I doubt anything could cause it to explode or leak radiation.

On the resiliency of modern nuclear power plants: Some twenty years ago, my 2nd grade class took a field trip to a nearby nuclear plant for a tour and some lectures from the employees there. On one of our stops, we were taken into a backup control room, which was a replica of the real control room and was programmed to respond exactly as the real reactor would; I think it was used for training exercises. My entire second-grade class was let loose in the control room--twenty kids pulling all the levers and pushing all the buttons at random, and we couldn't cause a simulated catastrophe.

Honestly, I'm thinking about making that place into my fortress in case of zombie holocaust. I imagine I'd be able to Google up enough information to run the power before the infestation reaches critical levels, and with the electricity and the security fences, I don't think it'd make for terrible defenses, either.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Walking Dead pilot leaked. I thought it was good, and followed the spirit of the comic. Obviously there are some things added in to pad out a full 1 hour episode.

One thing that was good was More scenes with Morgan, his character feels alot better developed than in the comic, I can't remember the actors name but I remember he's good

One thing that was a bit off The reveal of Shane and Lori came a bit to soon.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
This week's issue was 100% bad rear end and reminded me why I love this comic so much.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

CaptainPete posted:

Everyone being dead would probably make nuclear power plants safer since nearly every nuclear accident ever has been caused by operator error. By default, nuclear power plants will shut down safely if anything goes wrong. On many of them the control rods will automatically lower due to gravity alone and the reaction almost completely halts. Design is underway on nuclear plants that run for years without human intervention at all.

Although radioactive super-zombies would be kind of cool.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
HI!
Can we please refrain from posting the SHOW SPOILERS in the comic thread? They're asking that the leaked pilot info not even be posted in the SHOW thread. Please. Seriously, we spoil the comic in this thread and if I hadn't re-read the post I would have totally thought we were spoiling the comic and read the loving show!

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

Rei_ posted:

Why the hell do people think Nuclear reactors are boiling fonts of pure, uncontrollable energy barely contained by a few rusty locks and one dude pushing really hard on the door?

Comic books and 80's TV/movies.

So if the the nuclear plants are safe what would be the number one threat that could occur without someone there to keep it in check?

T-1000 posted:

Although radioactive super-zombies would be kind of cool.
Thank you

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

moleman posted:

This week's issue was 100% bad rear end and reminded me why I love this comic so much.

My sniper's better than your sniper. WHAT NOW, BITCH?!

drat, I want the next issue already.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

foxatee posted:

My sniper's better than your sniper. WHAT NOW, BITCH?!

She's such a useful character to have around that every time she's 'onscreen' I'm terrified that she'll die. :ohdear:

I suppose you're supposed to feel that way about everyone, though.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Wow. Just finished 78. How did everybody feel at the end of the issue? I'm just so glad that -Rick- is back. I know he never left, but it feels like Rick from pre-tyrese prison fight is back. This was a loving awesome issue, and here I was thinking that it would be all about Andrea loving Douglas' son by a tree.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

goodfuldead posted:

Wow. Just finished 78. How did everybody feel at the end of the issue? I'm just so glad that -Rick- is back. I know he never left, but it feels like Rick from pre-tyrese prison fight is back. This was a loving awesome issue, and here I was thinking that it would be all about Andrea loving Douglas' son by a tree.
I think that was very much a post-prison Rick, at least in wisdom.

"Armed outsiders threatening my safe refuge? Yeah, I've done this one already, assholes, and it really only works once. Enjoy the sniper bullets."

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, that was a "gently caress YEAH!" moment. But I can't wait to see what happens when the zombie horde comes crawling at their gate.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm just glad the intruder/attacker/outsiders angle wasn't dragged out for several issues. I mean, I know that they have been teased for a few issues, but I really liked that they showed up, Rick whipped his dick out, and they were all killed within the space of four pages. No drawn out stand-off, no moments for dramatic effects sake, just the rear end-whooping.

Of course, all the zombies are going to be drawn to the community, but still.

NmareBfly posted:

She's such a useful character to have around that every time she's 'onscreen' I'm terrified that she'll die. :ohdear:

I suppose you're supposed to feel that way about everyone, though.
Yeah, The second she fired off that first shot and they showed her up on the tower, I said, "welp, she's dead." Glad I was wrong.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

Yeah, that was a "gently caress YEAH!" moment. But I can't wait to see what happens when the zombie horde comes crawling at their gate.

Yeah I'm ready for a few people to be eaten too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I'm ready for a few people to be eaten too.

Still, I'm hoping that this arc lasts a while. I didn't think so at first, but I could see this one succeeding in areas where the Prison arc failed. I could see this new dynamic working for quite some time.

Cue the whole thing being destroyed and the group being put back to square 1 minus a few heads in about three issues. :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I couldn't mind an arc where the whole community is basically hunckered down, hiding within the homes, and unable to leave the small town that they've created with a herd of zombies outside. The group being splintered about but still within a few hundred yards of each other might make for a good "under siege" type of story. I'm thinking of how the first Tremors movie was, only on a larger scale.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I dunno, man. That was a whole city full of zombies. I'm not sure the community can survive that kind of attack. Is the wall complete? I know they were working on expansion, but were there any holes or weaknesses?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

CapnAndy posted:

I think that was very much a post-prison Rick, at least in wisdom.

"Armed outsiders threatening my safe refuge? Yeah, I've done this one already, assholes, and it really only works once. Enjoy the sniper bullets."

It was incredibly badass, especially since you were basically seeing what had once been a huge threat--the human raiding parties--reduced to flaming corpses in a matter of a few pages. And I really appreciate the fact that Rick flinched as well. It shows that he hadn't planned for things to go quite as smoothly as they did, and that he isn't some Duke Nukemesque badass who smirks in the face of large-caliber bullets.

As for the zombies, I predict that they're going to surround the city but not get in initially. The people in the town will then be reduced to internal conflict over the dwindling resources now that their best scavenger is dead and nobody can get out anyway.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
The fact that the zombies can hone in on the sound of gunshots from miles and miles away is such a huge dues ex machine and I hate it. If I hear a gunshot from only a mile away I still have no idea where it came from. It's such a bullshit way to move the story along, but whatever, at least it's moving.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn

futureproof posted:

The fact that the zombies can hone in on the sound of gunshots from miles and miles away is such a huge dues ex machine and I hate it. If I hear a gunshot from only a mile away I still have no idea where it came from. It's such a bullshit way to move the story along, but whatever, at least it's moving.
Think about it like this - they hear a noise and start moving. If ALL the zombies that heard the shot head in a random direction, that's still a significant number of zombies heading in the random direction of the compound.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
I liked Abraham's explanation for that. The zombies don't have much as far as intelligence, so if any are prompted in to following a gunshot, others will follow them. When you got a few moving about, it builds up in to a horde of zombies walking in some direction with no idea why.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Firstly, you can definitely tell the general direction of a gunshot from a mile away. I actually find that the closer it is, the harder is it to tell where it came from.
Secondly, there were a shitload of gunshots, not just one. It's consistent with the rest of the book so far that loud noises attract them. Pretty soon they are going to be up to their rear end in zombies! I'm looking forward to "No Way Out".

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

futureproof posted:

Yeah, that's bullshit. I grew up in a house that was about a mile away from a police firing range. When we first moved in there, we actually went looking for where the shots might be coming from, and found it pretty quickly because we knew exactly which direction to head.

Add to that what SagatPunisherFanFic said about it only taking a few heading in the right direction to build up a crowd, and it all seems pretty plausible.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

http://blastr.com/2010/10/why-havent-you-see-the-wa.php

What? drat you, football! I could have watched this already! I COULD HAVE TWO EPISODES BY HALLOWEEN! Just another reason for me to hate football season.

(Summary: Walking Dead was to premier last Sunday as part of Fear Fest, and the second episode was to show on Halloween. But because Favre was playing against the Packers that Sunday, the show got bumped to the following week.)

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
THEY SHOULD HAVE CANCELLED THAT GAME FOR THE WALKING DEAD! But yeah, that sucks. Oh well, I think having it air on Halloween sort of adds to the excitement.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Loofa08 posted:

THEY SHOULD HAVE CANCELLED THAT GAME FOR THE WALKING DEAD!
Since when did AMC show football?

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Just ordered the Vol. 6 hardcover from Amazon. It'll be waiting for me when I come back from the Stewart/Colbert rally!

:slick:

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

foxatee posted:

Since when did AMC show football?

Serious question?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Loofa08 posted:

Serious question?
Absolutely not. But I will admit to not seeing the correlation between zombie fans and football fans. Especially football fans who still give a poo poo about Mr Will-I-Or-Won't-I-Retire Favre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

foxatee posted:

Absolutely not. But I will admit to not seeing the correlation between zombie fans and football fans. Especially football fans who still give a poo poo about Mr Will-I-Or-Won't-I-Retire Favre.
I love football, comics and zombies. I'd choose Walking Dead over that fuckstick Favre any day, though.

• Locked thread