Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Boz0r posted:

Could someone recommend me a pickup configuration on a custom tele for all sorts of rock and classic metal?

What are the materials? Neck, body, and hardware should probably be taken into account. Also amp? Effects?

I think the suggestion of Dimarzio minibuckers is good although you might want to go with a full size model in the bridge position. For the neck and middle positions Dimarzio alone makes so many good options you're spoiled for choice. Very hard to go wrong with them, especially in that genre. If you post more details about the plans for the guitar people will be able to give better recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm thinking it's going to be an alder body with a rosewood fingerboard. I don't know too much about neck woods yet, so there's going to be a little testing. I think I want it in the style of the thinline teles with the large pickguard and in the colours of the white Jem. I'm open to cool suggestions, though.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Okay, well that leaves plenty of options open so here are a few examples that I think would work well. I'll list them as bridge/middle/neck.

Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniverary/Area '61/Area 58

The 36th Anniversary PAF should handle all your basic crunch through screaming lead tones easily. The vintage style single coils are there because some classic rockers did use them, and because they offer the option of nice glassy cleans should you be so inclined. The overall logic of going for vintage voiced pickups all around is that now it's much easier to get your distortion from your amp and pedals. This setup would prioritize clarity, especially since you're going with a rosewood board.

Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary/EJ bridge/EJ neck

This setup would be sonically similar but it would give you the triple humbucker look and coil splitting options if you wanted them. The guitar is all white so you could do all white coils, chrome covers, even chrome tops to match the rest of the look. The outputs should match up really well, and all pickups are popular choices.

Duncan Custom Custom/X/Phat Cat

I don't love Duncans and I don't know that much about them, but I've heard good sounds from the Custom Custom and I think the design is good. I'm recommending the Phat Cat as a neck pickup because a) It sounds wicked on a 25.5" scale and b) full-sized P-90s don't come in bright white. The JB is also a fine bridge pickup but JB/Jazz almost goes without saying.

If you want to go full-on custom Vintage Vibe does lots of cool options. You can get humbuckers and singles topped to match your pickguard, the upcharge for custom winding is very low, and most models have interchangeable magnets. I believe VV is very much goon approved but I could be wrong.

So yeah, hopefully those will give you some ideas to start from.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
Someone here a long time ago posted a link to a website that was basically a flash gizmo where you entered a chord progression, instruments, and tempo, and it would dash off a quick little backing track for you. Unfortunately, a computer crash and alcohol brain pickling means that I've lost the name of the site. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
can anyone help me out with logic express? I have this midi keyboard (nocturn 25) - but the software instrument track in logic is way too quiet compared to the other tracks - the only thing I found is turn the gain to max on the equalizer but I fear that will get me a lot of clipping. I had this problem with another keyboard as well so I guess its not the nocturn's fault.

any ideas?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
e: got it answered~

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 25, 2010

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for tbe advice, guys.

Does anyone know of a lightweight program to use as a midi sequencer on my laptop so I can plug it into my whammy and play Map of the Problematique the easy way.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Lankiveil posted:

Someone here a long time ago posted a link to a website that was basically a flash gizmo where you entered a chord progression, instruments, and tempo, and it would dash off a quick little backing track for you. Unfortunately, a computer crash and alcohol brain pickling means that I've lost the name of the site. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

this ? http://www.12bar.de/backing_midi.php

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a free Yamaha PSR-280 just to dick around with. I want to use it as a midi controller, but I don't have a midi card. Is there a way to use one of those Midi->USB converters to get my software to recognize it?

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm getting a free Yamaha PSR-280 just to dick around with. I want to use it as a midi controller, but I don't have a midi card. Is there a way to use one of those Midi->USB converters to get my software to recognize it?

Yes. Plug it in.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Cool, I just didn't know if I would need some additional software or something. Thanks.

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
What is the simplest way to get my audio out of Reason 4 and onto an MP3 file?

I'm very new to computer music. I'm mostly using looping parts with the various Samplers/Soft Synths and using ReDrum on 'run' mode.

So live, I've just been using the headphone out on my laptop into the PA (not very glamourus, I'm looking into upgrading gear).

One soloution would be to record onto hardware using this method, but surely I can do it in software?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Pedricko posted:

What is the simplest way to get my audio out of Reason 4 and onto an MP3 file?

I'm very new to computer music. I'm mostly using looping parts with the various Samplers/Soft Synths and using ReDrum on 'run' mode.

So live, I've just been using the headphone out on my laptop into the PA (not very glamourus, I'm looking into upgrading gear).

One soloution would be to record onto hardware using this method, but surely I can do it in software?

File>Export Song as WAV file

then if you really need it to be mp3, you can use a converter. That's what I usually do.

l33t Lurker
Aug 31, 2001
I've recently gotten my hands on a Loopstation, and discovered that you can apparently load it with loops from a computer. Incidentally I've been really into things like Aphex Twin and playing with my Moog lately, so I'd like to get some raw electronica happening. Which program should I try using to build some fairly simple beats? Is there anything free I can do this with? Are there like software synths I could use to produce my own sounds, or would I be stuck piecing together pre-recorded clips?

I have an ancient version of Cakewalk so I have some idea how these things work, but I remember struggling to get proper loops working with it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You can download FL Studio Express (ie Fruity Loops) for $49, which should be ideal if you only want to piece together simple beats and sounds.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I friend of mine who works in retail and gear building wants to sell me a Peavey Bandit he's put a Vintage 30 speaker in for the price the shop buys them for. Would this be good for small gigs?

EDIT: Probably worth mentioning that I play mainly hard rock and 80ies metal, but I'll be expected to play pop-tunes too.

An alternative is to buy the Blackstar HT STUDIO 20 but that'll probably cost me 2-3x as much.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How far can I downtune a guitar while staying in intonation, assuming I'm intonated for standard tuning? If it matters, the guitar is a bog-standard Epi LP studio, and I think I got lucky with the Korean guitar QA roulette. I want to downtune to at least drop-C, if not drop-B, to play stuff like Crowbar, Acid bath, and Alabama Thunderpussy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can someone recommend me a video editing program that can extract the audio from a video?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How far can I downtune a guitar while staying in intonation, assuming I'm intonated for standard tuning? If it matters, the guitar is a bog-standard Epi LP studio, and I think I got lucky with the Korean guitar QA roulette. I want to downtune to at least drop-C, if not drop-B, to play stuff like Crowbar, Acid bath, and Alabama Thunderpussy.

With standard guage strings even drop D will sound a bit funny starting around maybe the 8th fret if all you do is tune down (not that this seems to stop many people). If you use heavier strings and adjust your bridge it seems that you can at least get down to drop C without too much trouble, at least according to various people who tune that low. Consensus seems to be that you'll need to use 12s or 13s though. A few companies are making sets specifically for downtuning now, don't know how much there is to that.

Also Korean Epi QA was/is pretty drat good. :colbert: It's the low-end Chinese ones that are ruining their reputation now (and even some of those are respectable).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had the bright idea of checking the intonation on my guitar when I tuned it down, and it turns out that my high strings are already out of intonation a tiny bit. Not enough that I could tell, but enough that the tuner could tell. I guess I'll need to fix that when I get around to changing the strings. I'm using .11-49s right now, I think I'll go up to .12s when I buy a new pack. So the heavier strings help keep intonation in a larger range of tunings? I guess I should get an especially heavy low E since I am tuning that down another step?

Yeah, I have had no complaints about the Epi, other than that now, a couple years after I bought it, I found a used Gibson Les Paul studio for the same price at the same store. I really can't complain about that, though. At the price, I got all the mahogany I could have wanted, decent pick-ups, and sustain that lasts longer than my fingers can. Even the case that came with it was great, it is a hardshell case that took being dropped 6 feet onto asphalt while unloading a van without even letting the guitar get out of tune.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
You can get to drop C with .11's. I did on occasion without fixing innotation, so it should be alright if you actually do it. I think I tried B once, that didn't work so well.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

It all depends on what your requirements are in terms of action, intonation, and sound. I've seen posts by people who say that they do drop Bb with 9s and it works just fine for them, but somehow I doubt it's goos advice in general. Drop C with 11s is probably possible, but on a Gibson scale length it might feel a little flubby. Intonation depends on how far up the neck you play and how big of a difference matters to you. Some people seem to think an adjustable tailpiece behind the bridge helps- I'm not certain is does but they're relatively cheap so it might be worth a shot.

The main thing to consider is that you absolutely must get the nut recut if you're going up two gauges in strings. At least if you want your tuning to be stable and your action to be at the right height. Also note that the heavier your strings, the sharper they will go close to the nut. Compensated nuts aren't that popular yet, and people playing in super dropped tunings appear as a rule to be somewhat okay with small-ish deviations from typical temperment. If you want to be super in tune though, you might want to make your replacement nut a compensated one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I probably won't bother with a compensated nut or an adjustable tailpiece until my playing is good enough that it isn't just as likely to be me flubbing the chord.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Metalcore group Between the Buried and Me use .11's and they're tuned in standard C#. Not as low as some other heavy metal bands but still pretty low for those gauges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWsdk7VSpY

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 3, 2010

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I put 11s on my strat copy and tuned it to D standard - I haven't intonated it properly but honestly the lack of tension's more of a problem. Everything just feels a little too loose

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think it's something you get used to. And what string weight do you normally play with? I tried a guitar that had either .10s or .9s on it, and it was bizarre how loose it felt. It wasn't out of tune, it was just so light.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I'm considering purchasing that Rockband 3 Midi Mustang. The only problem is that I'm left handed. Technically, is there a way to re-map the keys?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was digging through my pop's pile of "got it for 5 bucks at a swap meet" and dug out most of a Sherwood lap steel which has had some pretty questionable things done to it by a previous owner.
I'm sucker for a project and it looks easily fixable but the pickup definitely needs replacement and from what I've found that will run better than a 100 bucks which is a bit too much for something done on a whim.
Just gutting it and tossing the wood in a bonfire doesn't seem right, anyone have a good alternative?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think it's something you get used to. And what string weight do you normally play with? I tried a guitar that had either .10s or .9s on it, and it was bizarre how loose it felt. It wasn't out of tune, it was just so light.

If you mean me I usually use 10s in standard. The 11s just feel like they don't fight back enough, and if I go to drop D (well technically drop C) it's easy to raise the pitch of a power chord just by applying a little more pressure. It's not a huge issue, just feels a lot squishier than it should

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Specter posted:

Was digging through my pop's pile of "got it for 5 bucks at a swap meet" and dug out most of a Sherwood lap steel which has had some pretty questionable things done to it by a previous owner.
I'm sucker for a project and it looks easily fixable but the pickup definitely needs replacement and from what I've found that will run better than a 100 bucks which is a bit too much for something done on a whim.
Just gutting it and tossing the wood in a bonfire doesn't seem right, anyone have a good alternative?

Post pictures of it, depending on the pickup there could be people out there willing to buy it for parts.
What makes you think the pickup needs replaced anyways?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Hypothetically, if I was to put a big 10"x9" vinyl decal on the grill of my Blues Jr, would this be a bad idea? I don't want to do anything untoward to the amp, nor do I want to put the decal on and then have the sound waves gently caress it up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It would probably affect the sound some.
There are "beam blockers" that do that same sort of thing cover up part of the speaker, to change how much it projects.

A stencil sprayed on the grill might be better as far as sound goes, but would be more permanent.
Get some other grill cloth and take the stock one off and stash it away and stretch the new one over the opening and then paint that.
That way you can return it to stock anytime if you decide to sell it.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thumposaurus posted:

Post pictures of it, depending on the pickup there could be people out there willing to buy it for parts.
What makes you think the pickup needs replaced anyways?

The picture should explain that pretty well.

The other highlights

Apologies for the laundry room quality and the lack of a full shot, but those pretty well convey most of the weirdness.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I'd go with some kind of rail-equipped humbucker to insure the most even string response for the least effort. The existing pickup seems to be off centre, and it's possible the rails will go a small way toward correcting that though ideally you'd want the edges even.

The GFS pickups in the link are high output- designed for metal, but that will likely work in your favour with a lapsteel since the current pickup doesn't seem to be sitting very close to the strings. These have oversized pole-pieces which give still give you more leeway than usual in terms of spacing and positioning, but with a more traditional look and specs.

If the goal is just to get some sound out of the thing without spending a ton of money or time, I think GFS is probably the best place to start. While you have it opened up, it's probably worth replacing the old pots, switches, and wiring as well. It's really not that much more work.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Since it is already butchered up I agree with the GFS recommendation.
You can make the tuners less wonky just plug up the holes with some toothpicks and glue and put a straight edge along them to line them up and re-drill the holes.

It probably had some terrible 3 on a plate tuners originally.
From a quick googling about it looks like the original pick-up was a rail style single coil. The pick up that is there might even be fine just not wired right or not sounding right because it is not lined up correctly.
No harm in opening it up to check and see, if it is a name brand pick up you might even break even if you swap it out and sell the old one on eBay.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the suggestions, once I get some bench space cleared up I'll crack it open and see what other internals needs replacement and hit up GFS. Morbidly curious as to what was used to patch up the control cover, expecting to find an unsanded slap of bondo on the inside.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
I'm pretty sure this is a dumb, dumb question and I'm stupid for not figuring out the answer, but...

AFAIK, the first chord for Moloko's Sing it back is Em9, but at this guitar tab:

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?285780

You've got the sixth fret on the second string, which would be F, so would it be a flattened 9th and not a 9th? Also wouldn't it clash with the 9th on the fourth string (fourth fret)?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That chord's actually Ebm9 (6th fret on the fourthfifth string is Eb ;)) - going up the strings you have Eb Gb Db F, which is root - minor 3rd - minor 7th - 9th. You've just mixed up a couple of notes is all

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 8, 2010

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Thank you baka baka, now it makes sense.

PD: Wait, you mean sixth fret of the fifth string right?

KaosPV fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

My current piano-playing setup: Yamaha P85 -> Macbook Pro w/ Pianoteq -> Headphones.

Through headphones the sound is great, but if I use my logitech z2300 speakers it sounds awful. It's worse than just using the built in samples/speakers on the P85. I want to be able to amplify things enough to get a decent sound in my room at a volume that I can sing along with un-miked.

What do I need? Monitors? Keyboard amp? Will I need a subwoofer if I'm mostly just outputting piano?