Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gunnerkrigg Court: Suddenly I am wearing a party hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Jones owns.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Jones is clearly trying to arrange the relationship between Smitty and Parley for her own nefarious purposes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm clearly overthinking it, but why would Parley need Smitty's assistance if she can already teleport with "unerring accuracy"?

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
So, according to Jones, Smitty's power isn't to "create order". It's to "distort probability". In other words, it seems his power is to bring about an extremely unlikely outcome, (i.e. a deck of cards thrown in the air landing in a perfect ordered stack, a bird getting in the way of his throw, etc, etc.) This could mean that the fact that everything is ordered around him isn't due to his powers, but because he IS a very boring person. I could be wrong though.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
There is what he does and how he does it. He creates order by distorting probability to make unlikely occurrences happen. A deck of cards could do that. In theory. The stone could hit a bird and fall in the right place. Remember that nobody told him what to do with the blinker stone too. Just "throw it that way". He made the proper outcome happen with no idea what that outcome was.

So there is obviously some overarching theme to what his power does irregardless of his personality.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Brannock posted:

I'm clearly overthinking it, but why would Parley need Smitty's assistance if she can already teleport with "unerring accuracy"?

Might help prevent them from getting caught. Hell, if you were going to play a prank on someone, there are probably a dozen reasons why having someone along who could distort probability would probably be the best possible thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Brannock posted:

She can't. She just realized now she can "bamf" her way around clean when she's close to Smith, or at least holding him.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Brannock posted:

Parley might have just known that Jones was at her desk, or maybe just in her office. She teleported the party hat to Jones, and Smitty made sure that she got lucky and actually hit Jones. She can teleport perfectly, but she needs to know where to, and Smitty's luck-manipulation helped her out. That's how I interpreted it, at least.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Brannock posted:

To add to what everyone else said her power is also fueled by emotions, and Smitty is a big help with that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speculating about how Smitty's powers work is the new speculating how Reynardine's powers work.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rincewind posted:

Speculating about how Smitty's powers work is the new speculating how Reynardine's powers work.

Smitty's a robot.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Every single one of them is a robot re-enacting the four years that led up to the mutual destruction of the Woods and the Court. The entire landscape is one giant animatronic memorial and the girl with the white hair in between chapters is the tour guide.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

What if they're all characters in a huge performance, and the whole thing is just an artistic representation of events in some predetermined story. The court/woods divide and all of the character interactions are symbolic of elements in some larger external reality, and the girl with the white hair mediates between the two worlds on behalf of an unseen creator. :tinfoil:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Gunnerkirgg Court is a documentary and the events take place in real time.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rei_ posted:

Every single one of them is a robot re-enacting the four years that led up to the mutual destruction of the Woods and the Court. The entire landscape is one giant animatronic memorial and the girl with the white hair in between chapters is the tour guide.

"They died, and we built a Theme Park."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The 19th Person posted:

So, according to Jones, Smitty's power isn't to "create order". It's to "distort probability". In other words, it seems his power is to bring about an extremely unlikely outcome, (i.e. a deck of cards thrown in the air landing in a perfect ordered stack, a bird getting in the way of his throw, etc, etc.) This could mean that the fact that everything is ordered around him isn't due to his powers, but because he IS a very boring person. I could be wrong though.

The creation of order, unaided, is excruciatingly improbable. Maybe he's got Luck Virus.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Does that make Annie a tomato?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

fishmech posted:

Now I have an image of everyone in GC being in slow-motion the entire time.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Mike McC posted:

Does that make Annie a tomato?

Zimmy likes to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zero_Tactility posted:

Zimmy likes to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free.

Gunnerkrigg Court is Paradigm City :aaaaa:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is Paradigm City :aaaaa:

Where the grass is green and the god is Smitty?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Where the grass is green and the god is Smitty?

:golfclap:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
GC makes me watch Dark City over and over.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ka0 posted:

GC makes me watch Dark City over and over.

So the headmaster is a Stranger, and Smitty can tune?

... I can see that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It makes the Court and the Tic Tocs all fit, perfectly.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The 19th Person posted:

So, according to Jones, Smitty's power isn't to "create order". It's to "distort probability".

Jones also referred to teleportation as 'distorting space'. Perhaps she just likes the word 'distort' and makes excuses to use it in conversation.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

fishmech posted:

There can be only ONE!

"You're Probated, fucker!"

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Not much to go on in this latest page, but someone in the comic's comments section pointed out that we've seen the symbol before.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=531

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Also Coyote called her Fire Head Girl. Maybe he wasn't talking about her red hair, but her stylin' fire spike hat.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Dammit Who? posted:

Jones also referred to teleportation as 'distorting space'. Perhaps she just likes the word 'distort' and makes excuses to use it in conversation.

Jones deemed it psychologically prudent to have one quirk, and felt that occasionally using the word distortion too much would be harmlessly enjoyable.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

I wonder how long it's going to be before the Big Jones Reveal. Apparently Smitty and Parley already know what she is, according to the "Word of Tom", and we've been seeing a lot more of them, (And they're going to be seeing a lot more of each other, ahurrrr :haw:) so perhaps they'll let something slip soon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elftor posted:

Also Coyote called her Fire Head Girl. Maybe he wasn't talking about her red hair, but her stylin' fire spike hat.

Re-reading through the Coyote chapters for the billionth time. Something I never really noticed before for some reason that I think is pretty funny: Coyote can't seem to get her name right. The two off the top of my head I can think of is "Abolone" and "Acrimony Barber".

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It's probably a conflict between Coyote's mind and his nose.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fecha posted:

Not much to go on in this latest page, but someone in the comic's comments section pointed out that we've seen the symbol before.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=531

This chapter also has the :3:'est ending.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Macaluso posted:

Re-reading through the Coyote chapters for the billionth time. Something I never really noticed before for some reason that I think is pretty funny: Coyote can't seem to get her name right. The two off the top of my head I can think of is "Abolone" and "Acrimony Barber".

I'm pretty sure Abalone is an affectionate informal pronoun in some Native American language. Its shown up in more than one of my folk tale books.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Comic's up, gents. Looks like we're getting backstory on Surma and Renard!

Surma was a hippie, pass it on.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I guess we're seeing Renard dreaming...

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
I'm just saying, who practices levitation in a dress? That is simply against all good sense. Clearly levitation is a pants activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Tarezax posted:

I guess we're seeing Renard dreaming...

Might just be backstory/a flashback. Also, is that perhaps Coyote based on the last panel? He is partial to shape-shifting and trickery.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 27, 2010