Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cacator posted:

I haven't seen Alien Resurrection in years - probably not the entire thing in a decade - and I'm kind of looking forward to watching it again. \

Yeah I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a B-movie, but it's still really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Rocco posted:

I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

I am, only because I have only seen the first one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rocco posted:

I feel like I'm the only one legitimately excited for -all- the movies in the Alien box set.

I at least really like 3 out of the 4 movies. :)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ultimate Electronics will have the Alien Anthology for $79.95

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red posted:

Why wouldn't they offer a single Blu-Ray with both versions... ?

Paramount they are unbelievably lazy when it comes to Blu-Ray

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

quote:

Alien: Resurrection

I thought it was a fairly serviceable action movie. Nothing like the first two obviously, but I thought it was light years better than Alien 3 which often descended into 'just boring' but without anything really thought provoking to make up for it.

It didn't help that (Alien 3 spoiler) they basically made the end of Aliens completely irrelevant by killing the kid she worked so hard to save. What a titanic oversight.

EDIT: I do hope to get the first two once they eventually release the single movie/disc editions. It may take a while, but it's probably going to happen sooner or later.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StickySweater posted:

EDIT: I do hope to get the first two once they eventually release the single movie/disc editions. It may take a while, but it's probably going to happen sooner or later.

Although presumably without bonus features, since they're all on separate discs.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

StickySweater posted:

I thought it was a fairly serviceable action movie. Nothing like the first two obviously, but I thought it was light years better than Alien 3 which often descended into 'just boring' but without anything really thought provoking to make up for it.

It didn't help that (Alien 3 spoiler) they basically made the end of Aliens completely irrelevant by killing the kid she worked so hard to save. What a titanic oversight.

I will never get the hatred for Alien 3. It's a better movie than Aliens through and through whether you watch the theatrical or extended version.

Aliens is just the posterboy for 80's action movies and it's a brilliant film, but Alien 3 was really creative and more in-line with the first one. It was also far scarier.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
For anyone who's interested, I got the Alien Anthology in my mail today and here's the box for us Scandinavians(?). Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Red posted:

Why wouldn't they offer a single Blu-Ray with both versions... ?
The European release has both versions (not seamlessly branched, the whole film is colour timed differently) with VC1/TrueHD on a BD-50. It's region free and pretty cheap.

The US disc was single layered MPEG-2 with lossy audio. Be glad they didn't try to fit both cuts on.

Red posted:

The only film I can think of off the top of my head that has a better Extended Cut than Theatrical is The Abyss, which isn't exactly a great movie anyway.
I dunno, I'd argue that Aliens*, T2 and The Abyss all play better in their long form. Kingdom of Heaven, Blade Runner, and Brazil are obvious choices, and I'd throw in Leon, Amadeus and Almost Famous.

*The colonist scenes at the beginning aren't the best introduction, but the rest of the extensions make it worth it.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 25, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/305257/whv-press-release-all-the-president-s-men-and-network-blu-ray

All the President's Men and Network on Feb. 15.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Network on Feb. 15.

Nice! Looks like it's carrying over all the DVD extras too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion put this up on their Facebook...

Sunset Blvd., All About Eve, and Tabu

I doubt the motif of blue is accidental, but these would be awesome picks for BluRay.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is fantastic. They should have given Network a digibook too though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Once Upon A Time In Mexico is coming out on January 4th.

The preorder is up on Amazon for $13.99

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion put this up on their Facebook...

Sunset Blvd., All About Eve, and Tabu

I doubt the motif of blue is accidental, but these would be awesome picks for BluRay.

Goddamn it, I have got to stop watching older movies. Seems like everything I watch gets a Blu-Ray announcement a month later. Sunset Blvd.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Goddamn it, I have got to stop watching older movies. Seems like everything I watch gets a Blu-Ray announcement a month later. Sunset Blvd.

That's not a Blu-Ray announcement. I very much doubt that Criterion would get the rights to Sunset Blvd or All About Eve. I think the picture is more about showing off the Cahiers du Cinema covers.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Very much looking forward to both of these.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Randy Rand posted:

I will never get the hatred for Alien 3. It's a better movie than Aliens through and through whether you watch the theatrical or extended version.

Aliens is just the posterboy for 80's action movies and it's a brilliant film, but Alien 3 was really creative and more in-line with the first one. It was also far scarier.

Shh! Don't tell anyone else, we can start our own club called People Who are Right About the Alien Franchise.

e: Or the Best Friends Club. You can decide.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 25, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Rocco posted:

You may well be. Alien Resurrection is not well liked around these parts. I'm personally only excited for Alien and Alien3. I don't like admitting it, but I don't think Aliens is all that great.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Shh! Don't tell anyone else, we can start our own club called People Who are Right About the Alien Franchise.

e: Or the Best Friends Club. You can decide.

More like People Who Are loving Awesome and Have Great Opinions

Professor you can join too :3:

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Wow, Alien looks and sounds fantastic :)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

saihttam posted:

Wow, Alien looks and sounds fantastic :)

Also, it's the best physical presentation of a Blu-Ray package I have ever seen. Well done, Fox, and thanks for sucking away the next 72 hours of my life.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Randy Rand posted:

Professor you can join too :3:

Are you sure? My opinion is usually considered to be against the popular consensus.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/chitty_chitty_bang_bang_blu-ray.htm

It's been years since I've seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but this may get the film on my Netflix queue at least. Studios need to keep putting out large format 70mm movies in proper remasters. This looks like a brand new movie.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/chitty_chitty_bang_bang_blu-ray.htm

It's been years since I've seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but this may get the film on my Netflix queue at least. Studios need to keep putting out large format 70mm movies in proper remasters. This looks like a brand new movie.

Speaking of which, next week Target will have this and The Sound of Music for $20 each and is giving you $5 off if you buy both.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

frumpsnake posted:

The European release has both versions (not seamlessly branched, the whole film is colour timed differently) with VC1/TrueHD on a BD-50. It's region free and pretty cheap.

The US disc was single layered MPEG-2 with lossy audio. Be glad they didn't try to fit both cuts on.

Hm. Ebay sellers in the UK have it around $20-23, plus shipping. Know of anywhere cheaper?

frumpsnake posted:

I dunno, I'd argue that Aliens*, T2 and The Abyss all play better in their long form. Kingdom of Heaven, Blade Runner, and Brazil are obvious choices, and I'd throw in Leon, Amadeus and Almost Famous.

*The colonist scenes at the beginning aren't the best introduction, but the rest of the extensions make it worth it.

I forgot about the longer version of T2, although, really, how much do they add besides some repair scenes in the abandoned gas station, and the Terminator smiling/asking about laughing or something?

I've only ever seen the Director's Cut of Leon, so that may not be a fair comparison - have most people seen the shorter cut, compared to the longer one?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red posted:

Hm. Ebay sellers in the UK have it around $20-23, plus shipping. Know of anywhere cheaper?

If the one he's talking about is the same one on Amazon UK, they have it for £10.73 after shipping is added and VAT tax is removed. That's $16.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027UY87W

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

saihttam posted:

For anyone who's interested, I got the Alien Anthology in my mail today and here's the box for us Scandinavians(?). Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

wow. that box set cover is amazing...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red posted:

I forgot about the longer version of T2, although, really, how much do they add besides some repair scenes in the abandoned gas station, and the Terminator smiling/asking about laughing or something?

They also add Michael Biehn!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm an enormous Cameron fan, but for some reason I just can't get behind his Extended versions. The Abyss is mostly fine except for the overly preachy longer ending, but T2's additions are mostly completely unnecessary and the vast majority of the additions to Aliens hurt the film in my opinion.

So I'm really glad we can watch the Theatrical cuts of the Alien movies on the BD set.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's....so....beautiful.... :911:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 26, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

"What we have here is a prime contender for Blu-ray release of the year"

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, the only other thing that comes close is The Twilight Zone.

Wow, the packaging on Back to the Future is so beyond awful. It feels cheap as hell, the disc trays are some sort of totally unnecessary, complicated new contraption that seem like they were designed for the sole purpose of breaking your discs, and the digipak is so loose in the slipcover that it slides right out.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, the packaging on Back to the Future is so beyond awful. It feels cheap as hell, the disc trays are some sort of totally unnecessary, complicated new contraption that seem like they were designed for the sole purpose of breaking your discs, and the digipak is so loose in the slipcover that it slides right out.

So my idea of "Operation: Wait For Single Packs" is a smart one?

tut
Nov 4, 2004

So which, in your opinion, are the definitive cuts of each Alien movie?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

doctor thodt posted:

It's....so....beautiful.... :911:

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

That's loving magnificent. For serious.

I also want to say that I watched my copy of Iron Man 2 and it looks and sounds terrific, plus the extras are really really great. The enthusiasm of everyone involved is infectious as hell, and the SHIELD database trivia track has become one of my favourite extras ever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tutpsu posted:

So which, in your opinion, are the definitive cuts of each Alien movie?
Alien: Theatrical Cut
Aliens: Theatrical Cut
Alien 3: Workprint / Extended Cut
Alien Resurrection: Who cares

Your mileage may vary, of course. I know a lot of people prefer the Extended Cut of Aliens.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

I got the UK collector's tin and it's great. So much silly tat, by far the best being the hologram replication of the photo of Marty and his siblings disappearing. The case for the discs themselves sounds better than yours too, it's just a standard foldout thing where the discs press in very simply.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2010

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

Alien: Theatrical Cut
Aliens: Theatrical Cut
Alien 3: Workprint / Extended Cut
Alien Resurrection: Who cares

Your mileage may vary, of course. I know a lot of people prefer the Extended Cut of Aliens.

Honestly the first two don't really matter all that much. I guess you could argue that the extended version of Aliens somewhat ruins an effect that the Theatrical had by not showing you the colonists before they got to the planet, but the important note is Alien 3. I was a big fan of the Theatrical version, but the Extended version really really really fleshes out the entire cast more to where you care when people die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aliens doesn't matter that much, but Alien is a big gently caress difference, if only for the Dallas scene, which is great in concept but has probably the worst effects in the film and just feels flat.

• Locked thread