Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Didn't Tig Notaro poo poo up Doug Loves Movies too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.

The_Rob posted:

I recommend episode 31. It was a episode they did on black friday, and it is just all star and hilarious. It has Micheal Cera, Harris Whittles, James Adomian,Paul F Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo, and Nick Kroll. One of the best Would you Rathers as well.

Oh and listen to episode 35. Patton Oswalt,Tom Lennon, and Bret Gellman reading his short story I Brain. Which is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

This. The moments that specifically make these what they are are at the end of episode 31 and somewhere in the middle of 35. I had tears in my eyes during the ep. 35 short story it was that funny.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah, I'm not familiar with her comedy (Being from the UK) but I've heard her on a few podcasts and she's poo poo them all up with what I'm assuming is her 'act'.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
Tig Notaro's appearance on WTF was actually decent, probably because she didn't try to be funny & just told some interesting stories about hurricane Katrina hitting her home town.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Homeless Wonder posted:

Tig Notaro's appearance on WTF was actually decent, probably because she didn't try to be funny & just told some interesting stories about hurricane Katrina hitting her home town.

Yeah, this is my feeling about her. She's a decent, engaging story teller. However, she doesn't play well with others. Tending to throw roadblocks up for her own amusement. I mean among comics there is always some level of loving with each other but its usually not full on derailing of your bit.

A really amazing example of this the CDR with Jeff Garlin and Andy Daly. Jeff Garlin is just riding Andy Daly. They are making all this stuff up and Jeff keeps trying to make Andy recall all the fine details of his improv'd life backstory then challenging him to remember them later in the show. An amazing amount of information is generated and Daly remembers everything. It's pretty amazing.

Episode 46: Ben Stiller, Jeff Garlin, Paul F Thompkins and Andrew Daly.

EDIT: I've really been enjoying catching up with the WTF podcast. I like that his fans give him a really hard time when they write in.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 23, 2010

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I got bit by a spider on my knuckle, I think I have puff knuckle now.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

King Lou posted:

A really amazing example of this the CDR with Jeff Garlin and Andy Daly. Jeff Garlin is just riding Andy Daly. They are making all this stuff up and Jeff keeps trying to make Andy recall all the fine details of his improv'd life backstory then challenging him to remember them later in the show. An amazing amount of information is generated and Daly remembers everything. It's pretty amazing.

The first part of this episode is great, too. I really liked how PFT's Ice-T bit went on so long and so deep that it kind of morphed from a comedy sketch into a Casual Conversation with Ice-T.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

No doubt. When he was reading the names (which were hilarious) she chimes in with "Wow. You could have a pretty good act making up silly names and reading them!" which was a total bit-killer. I get she's trying to be snarky, but don't poo poo on somebody's bit as they're doing it right in front of you. It's like if Chupacabra was on and she went "Hey Nick, why are you talking with that ridiculous Mexican accent?".

That was Natasha Leggero during the Therapist list, not Tig. Tig did the "Hot Tub Foot" bit, and their back and forth on that is one of my favourite parts of that bit.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

I don't like her either, so I'm happy that the internet apparently hates her.

Really dig CDR though, because Scott Aukerman is the perfect improve straight man. Brett Gelman's stories are awesome. I also like the episode where Bob Duka reads his story story "A Ship Called Hope" (from ep 55 I think), and where Matt Besser pretends to be the British host of Humour Laser Beam (which also had Don't Stop or We'll Die iirc).

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

King Lou posted:

Yeah, this is my feeling about her. She's a decent, engaging story teller. However, she doesn't play well with others. Tending to throw roadblocks up for her own amusement. I mean among comics there is always some level of loving with each other but its usually not full on derailing of your bit.

EDIT: I've really been enjoying catching up with the WTF podcast. I like that his fans give him a really hard time when they write in.

Andy Daly is an amazing improviser. Like, legit, one of the best in the world.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Andy Daly is an amazing improviser. Like, legit, one of the best in the world.

There once was a fellow named Obama...

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

That was Natasha Leggero during the Therapist list, not Tig. Tig did the "Hot Tub Foot" bit, and their back and forth on that is one of my favourite parts of that bit.

Yikes! My bad. I listen to The Lavender Hour too so I should've known better.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The black friday CDDR from last year was indeed hilarious. Huell Howser, was Adomian's character's name? And the John Goodman Turkey Dad?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

If you've never had a chance to watch the magic that is Huell Howser you've been missing out. I first heard about his show from listening to Loveline, where Adam Carolla would always talk about it.

Huell Howser visits the Bagdad Cafe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs

There's a bunch more on Youtube but that's probably the best. The punchline to the Burt Lancaster painting is priceless.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you've never had a chance to watch the magic that is Huell Howser you've been missing out. I first heard about his show from listening to Loveline, where Adam Carolla would always talk about it.

There's a bunch more on Youtube but that's probably the best. The punchline to the Burt Lancaster painting is priceless.

Alright definitely. does James bring him back any other times?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I grew up watching California Gold, so the Huell Howser impression is that much better for me.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow, what a great sketch starring James Adomian. Some dead spots but he really commits to his character. For a second I thought this Huell Howser might be a real person.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Well I know Huell howser is a real person, geez

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jimmy Dore's wife is intensely unfunny on the new DLM.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You mean their passionate discussion of what's wrong with education in America wasn't hilarious?

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I actually fell asleep during that one. In the middle of the day. I know education is an important issue but poo poo that was boring.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I find Marc Maron pretty irritating but he gets some good interviews. I just listened to the Stewart Lee episode which was fantastic, although that's mainly because I think Stew is a genius.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Oh you mean Stef-AH-NAYYYY!? Hahah! I'll definitely listen to that tomorrow!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

big business sloth posted:

Well I know Huell howser is a real person, geez

I wasn't making fun of your comment, just trying to be funny about the fact that I can't believe Huell Howswer is a real person.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

soru posted:

You mean their passionate discussion of what's wrong with education in America wasn't hilarious?

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Oh you mean Stef-AH-NAYYYY!? Hahah! I'll definitely listen to that tomorrow!

I really wouldn't have minded too much if it was just Jimmy and Doug discussing it, but she came off as desperate to seem as smart as Jimmy, and came off as just smug and lame.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I really wouldn't have minded too much if it was just Jimmy and Doug discussing it, but she came off as desperate to seem as smart as Jimmy, and came off as just smug and lame.

As she is a teacher in California it comes up a lot on "Comedy and Everything Else". I am totally behind the plight of underpaid teachers and against budget cuts on public schools. I'd consider myself a leftist, but they used to be insanely liberal pre-election. Jimmy tends to contradict himself a lot. I wish he'd stick to just being funny.

In the past couple of months they might as well have renamed the show "Let's Rant about Kyle Cease and Comedy Boot Camp", and I tend to think that the boot camp is a total scheme and Kyle Cease is a New Age moron.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The best parts of the recent live SMods are the end part when they reverse roles and read from the Smodcast book, because as much as I enjoy Kevin talking, Scott is the best part of every episode.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

As she is a teacher in California it comes up a lot on "Comedy and Everything Else". I am totally behind the plight of underpaid teachers and against budget cuts on public schools. I'd consider myself a leftist, but they used to be insanely liberal pre-election. Jimmy tends to contradict himself a lot. I wish he'd stick to just being funny.

In the past couple of months they might as well have renamed the show "Let's Rant about Kyle Cease and Comedy Boot Camp", and I tend to think that the boot camp is a total scheme and Kyle Cease is a New Age moron.

Oh, I absolutely agree with a lot of what they are saying, but it doesn't make it entertaining to listen to.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Oh, I absolutely agree with a lot of what they are saying, but it doesn't make it entertaining to listen to.

Yeah, they tend to be the "Well I guess I don't have anything else to listen to." podcast

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Eh, I gave up on Comedy and Everything Else a long while back. Todd leaving the show is actually what made me curious. I feel a lot of the episodes he is in is worth listening to, but it just got a little boring. I'm not huge into political discussion and when I do listen to SOME political talk, I'm not interested in hearing it from Jimmy Dore.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
If anyone downloads the newest episodes of "Comedy and Everything Else" and dismisses it: Know that there's some gems in the backlogs. The episodes with Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson are great, along with some others.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I wasn't making fun of your comment, just trying to be funny about the fact that I can't believe Huell Howswer is a real person.

I completely agree then

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

j8910 posted:

If anyone downloads the newest episodes of "Comedy and Everything Else" and dismisses it: Know that there's some gems in the backlogs. The episodes with Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson are great, along with some others.

They also got some guests that don't do the podcast circuit, most notably Brian Regan and David Spade (both of which are awesome episodes).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Hey guys! If you don't know, I am The Reverend En Fuego from the BJ Shea Morning Experience. It's a local morning radio show on KISW in Seattle (https://www.kisw.com). I also do a podcast called Undead Radio, usually out every Monday.

This week is the beginning of a complete nerd-out. A couple of episodes back I ran two of the guys through a D&D starter set to make them characters, and today's episode is the first part of the campaign led by our new Dungeon Master!

You can get it here: http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio or also on iTunes just by searching Undead Radio.

Parts 2 and 3 will be available in the coming weeks. Please check it out, shoot me some feedback, whatever!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

FuriousGeorge posted:

The first part of this episode is great, too. I really liked how PFT's Ice-T bit went on so long and so deep that it kind of morphed from a comedy sketch into a Casual Conversation with Ice-T.
I downloaded this episode based on your recommendation. PFT continues to impress me with his range of unexpectedly mundane impersonations. Everyone can do Shatner and Walken, but Ice-T? The man is a savant.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Strange Matter posted:

I downloaded this episode based on your recommendation. PFT continues to impress me with his range of unexpectedly mundane impersonations. Everyone can do Shatner and Walken, but Ice-T? The man is a savant.

His John C. Reilly blew my mind. I forgot for a chunk that it was an impersonation.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Picked up the primo NNF. Does anyone who knows the history know the guest that Pardo had on who was heinous? I'm listening to the episode with Greg Berendht, and he mentioned a guest (the only guest?) where audiences actually asked him not to bring him (has to be a "him") back.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

The Modern Leper posted:

Picked up the primo NNF. Does anyone who knows the history know the guest that Pardo had on who was heinous? I'm listening to the episode with Greg Berendht, and he mentioned a guest (the only guest?) where audiences actually asked him not to bring him (has to be a "him") back.

I believe it was Greg Fitzsimmons. It was a pretty cringe worthy episode. Some people here liked it. I'm not a fan.

What up, primo buddy :respek:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
GF's show is ok, but kind of hit and miss depending on the guest. He is a terrible guest though because he can't improv (and isn't really that funny otherwise...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

vonnegutt posted:

His John C. Reilly blew my mind. I forgot for a chunk that it was an impersonation.

Man, the first time I heard it I thought really was Reilly! My reasoning was he does Tim & Eric, so why not this? His Ice-T is great too. I'm not really a fan of "Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber" though. We need some more Cyber Thug takeovers!

En Fuego posted:

I am The Reverend En Fuego from the BJ Shea Morning Experience on KISW in Seattle (http://www.kisw.com). I also do a podcast called Undead Radio

Ballard represent! I don't listen to the radio but I'll check out your show.

j8910 posted:

If anyone downloads the newest episodes of "Comedy and Everything Else" and dismisses it: Know that there's some gems in the backlogs. The episodes with Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson are great, along with some others

For sure! Dore and "Stefanay" really stunk up DLM this week though. Worst. Maltin. EVER. Dore and Glass on DLM was a riot though. FISHERMAN'S WHARF!!!! Does anybody really know why Todd left?

I'll give an appeal once again to The 40 Year-Old Boy. Seriously, if you're an NNF fan that hasn't heard Season One then give that a shot and even if you like Mike a little bit give it a listen. Some shows fall flat, but the guy has led a crazy life and has some amazing stories. And for all of his rambling, when he tells a good story he tells a really good story. I'd love to describe some but I'd just ruin it for when you actually heard it. Give "Year One" a try and go from there. It's important to know how the guy is before you jump in headlong.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 26, 2010

• Locked thread