Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Sewer Cartographer posted:

Wow! Hinchu, that is one freaky awesome looking Tinman you have there!
Rivets and all.
Is that just a material on it or is there an HDR map on it as well?

Thanks. The material is a steel texture with some distressing details. I have a BRDF specular shader (I think) on it. I have an ambient occlusion shader affecting both diffusion and reflection, it looked weird just on diffusion. Then I have a lovely reflection map I made up to mimic the photographed miniature and sky. The lighting is all distant lights (those parallel lights). I have about 5 or 6 lights on him without any shadows turned on. The lights are different colors mimicking the gels that I used to light the miniature. I did a basic 3 point type of setup on the lighting. There is a broad yellow overhead light, a white rim light, and then a cyan fill light.

Then of course everything is composited together with the backdrop photo and other elements. Here are some blog posts about the miniature if you are interested in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
chiming in that djv is the only worthwile image viewer.

http://rpmanager.com/FolderGit/foldergit.htm
foldergit awesome for creating folder shortcuts. Its all under your right-click menu, and its really easy to organise your various shortcuts into subfolders. Saves so much time!
(you can buy it, but theres a link to the free version on the bottom of the page)

Should be sleeping
Dec 3, 2006
AM I WEARING MY LEATHERS AND A HELMET? NO? I BETTER BE.

cubicle gangster posted:

Quick stills from an animation i'm doing :)

I am insanely jealous of your grass. Is that displacement mapping, bump, or what?

Anyways, I'm pretty small time as far as the talent in this thread goes. Here's a few samples...be gentle please.

I work for an architecture firm doing 3DS Max renderings with v-ray. Now I'm starting to get requests for sidework, and I want to go legit, so I might be able to make some decent money.

I am wondering if anyone, at least as far as architectural work is concerned, has had any experience using blender professionally. My genius idea is to run a linux workstation using blender until I can get enough capital going to buy a license for 3DS Max and v-ray for a home workstation. Actually, mental ray is providing some pretty bad rear end results, and I might just be able to ditch v-ray altogether if I can get my act together and learn mental ray. But then again having to take the time to learn a whole new software set might be counter productive. It might be better to get an extra part time job for a while to pay for my software.

Advice Professionals?

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's a blocking of my next project.

http://vimeo.com/15476388

Diablo-y style church. It's gonna be fun.

Should be sleeping
Dec 3, 2006

spottedfeces posted:

Here's a blocking of my next project.

http://vimeo.com/15476388

Diablo-y style church. It's gonna be fun.

Looks nice. Maybe also have a shot that's at eye level as well. You have some nice church-like vertical structures going on, and I think you might be missing out on how imposing a church can be by having your camera that high. If you confined your viewer to the center aisle as you pulled back, you would get that Gothic effect of cathedrals, where it's meant to feel like you're there to be at the foot of God looking up.

Just a thought :D

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Should be sleeping posted:

Looks nice. Maybe also have a shot that's at eye level as well. You have some nice church-like vertical structures going on, and I think you might be missing out on how imposing a church can be by having your camera that high. If you confined your viewer to the center aisle as you pulled back, you would get that Gothic effect of cathedrals, where it's meant to feel like you're there to be at the foot of God looking up.

Just a thought :D

Thanks for the tip. I tried incorporating it into my second run-through of this. Let me know if you think it's better, worse, or about the same.

Take 2: http://vimeo.com/15511926

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Blocking in a EOD suit, much to do still, gonna give this a good z-brush pass after i've completed the blockout and messed with the proportion too.

Should be sleeping
Dec 3, 2006

spottedfeces posted:

Thanks for the tip. I tried incorporating it into my second run-through of this. Let me know if you think it's better, worse, or about the same.

Take 2: http://vimeo.com/15511926

Hey that's pretty awesome! I really felt almost imposed upon in the fist few seconds there, nice way to showcase your architecture.Next step is texturing, can't wait to see it all done!

btw: I happened to have this music running in the bg from the piano music thread, while your clip played, and it was pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww&feature=related

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Oxygencult posted:

Blocking in a EOD suit, much to do still, gonna give this a good z-brush pass after i've completed the blockout and messed with the proportion too.

This is nice! Interesting idea too, I'm not sure I've ever seen (or paid attention to at least) those suits before.

What are you modelling it in right now? Could I see the wireframe? I seem to really suck at making base meshes, especially for stuff like bodyarmour, so I like to see how other people do it :ohdear:

ArchNacho
Nov 10, 2005

Professor of Women's Studies @ ITT Tech
Does anyone know of good modding sites out there to get involved with? I've been trying to find a good UDK game to work on, but I havent found more than one or two searching on ModDB.
I'd like to do environment art for whatever project I'm on.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=
Hey guys. Haven't done anything 3D in ages. Started on this ridiculous in-joke between me and some long time friends on a project called "Tank City" which is kinda like Macross--but ontop of a giant tank. This is a very rough blocking and really only the wheels are final-ish, but I figured I'd contribute.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Throwing this out for the other LA VFX guys, I'm hearing more and more rumors that the ILM Los Angeles studio is going to happen soon, which should make things interesting down here.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I hope it gets more interesting down there, i've always wanted to go but before i was good enough I heard it's all gone to poo poo and everyones moving to london.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

Throwing this out for the other LA VFX guys, I'm hearing more and more rumors that the ILM Los Angeles studio is going to happen soon, which should make things interesting down here.

Oh man, maybe I shouldn't be dead set on getting into games. Two of the alumni from my school just got hired by ILM, but they're working in San Fran for now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Another Melbourne games studio closes its doors

Jeez, I love this city but I'm not regretting getting out of animation.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ceebee posted:

Oh man, maybe I shouldn't be dead set on getting into games. Two of the alumni from my school just got hired by ILM, but they're working in San Fran for now.

I'd look at film/tv vfx and games when looking for work and see where that takes you.

I find that in .. some cases it's easier as an artist to jump from film to games than vise versa. Depends on the position.

Most of the guys I know in games [TD's, Animators, modellers] actually started out in Film work.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It probably is, at least for animators. Just because I don't think that any film company would hire someone just based on a reel with a bunch of cycles but the opposite is way more likely.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm assuming games -> film employment will become more common once games reach a certain point. Already some of the high resolution sculpts from games are pretty much film quality, just diluted to 1/2 color/normal/spec maps and a greatly reduced polycount.

Or at least I hope so :P

Should be sleeping
Dec 3, 2006

VitaminZinc posted:

Hey guys. Haven't done anything 3D in ages. Started on this ridiculous in-joke between me and some long time friends on a project called "Tank City" which is kinda like Macross--but ontop of a giant tank. This is a very rough blocking and really only the wheels are final-ish, but I figured I'd contribute.

Did...Did you use greebol to put a little cityscape on your tank?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Hey guys i'm learning how to rig and animate a random 3 legged robot/crab in maya. What is the best way to rig it? Orgin or with bones? I'm very new at this and would like some advice. I tried using the joint tool but it ends up deforming my model too much.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Geared Hub posted:

I would like to know more.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
ILM Vancouver please :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ceebee posted:

I'm assuming games -> film employment will become more common once games reach a certain point. Already some of the high resolution sculpts from games are pretty much film quality, just diluted to 1/2 color/normal/spec maps and a greatly reduced polycount.

Or at least I hope so :P

Not really. Modeling is just a very small piece of the pie and texturing for film is way way more different than texturing for games.

That said people do the crossover all the time (I did) but game reels do not really apply for film and if you are applying for a film studio with a games reel you are not going to get in most likely.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Edgar posted:

Hey guys i'm learning how to rig and animate a random 3 legged robot/crab in maya. What is the best way to rig it? Orgin or with bones? I'm very new at this and would like some advice. I tried using the joint tool but it ends up deforming my model too much.

You can use a bone hierarchy like a standard rig. Capture/bind the geometry but keep the binding rigid.

Create a ton of deform sets or groups in your model, breaking each part up into something logically name. Then attach the set/group with the corresponding bone/joint on your rig.

It depends on the design but that's how I rigged hard surfaced robots/vehicles in the past. That way you have the option of applying soft deformation for twisting/stretching/cheating on top of the rigid deformation.

Don't do the parenting objects to bones trick.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ugh. Starting my new job in a little over a month and I'm desperately trying to not mentally check out of my current duties. They're just... crushing my soul. :smith: I feel physically exhausted, and I'm coming home with headaches every day. It's time for a change.

Moving the whole family into the frozen arctic to be happier and more secure in my career, not to mention mentally healthier... that's the right decision, yeah? I figure I didn't get into this industry for the money, I got into it because I love to draw. If I don't have a love for what I'm doing, then what's the point, you know?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hazed_blue posted:

Ugh. Starting my new job in a little over a month and I'm desperately trying to not mentally check out of my current duties. They're just... crushing my soul. :smith: I feel physically exhausted, and I'm coming home with headaches every day. It's time for a change.

A similar thing happened to me and some buddies from my year as we all got back from internships this summer. A guy interned at Pixar for 6 months and another at Blizzard for 3 months, and they both got back to school and crashed when they realized that they had to deal with classes and teachers' projects for another year before graduation.

I was only at SOE this summer and even I felt the crushing pain of going from real studio experience to going to class. We all just want to get back to the industry. :smith:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Hey Mutata are you in the byu program or the UVU program here in Utah?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edgar posted:

Hey Mutata are you in the byu program or the UVU program here in Utah?

BYU. I know very little of the UVU program except that they are putting a lot of money into getting it going.

Edit: Also, UVU has a cooler campus.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Yeah i'm in the UVU program right now and they are getting some of the classes polished and hoping to implement some matriculation to the program. I love modeling and drawing. Animating is what is hard for me.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Hey thats cool. I didn't know they had a program going at UVU. I was working at a studio there in Salt Lake, but just moved to Atlanta. BYU's program is pretty good. Worked with a lot of people that came from there over the years.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Hey thats cool. I didn't know they had a program going at UVU. I was working at a studio there in Salt Lake, but just moved to Atlanta. BYU's program is pretty good. Worked with a lot of people that came from there over the years.

Which studio?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Hazed_blue posted:

Moving the whole family into the frozen arctic to be happier and more secure in my career, not to mention mentally healthier... that's the right decision, yeah? I figure I didn't get into this industry for the money, I got into it because I love to draw. If I don't have a love for what I'm doing, then what's the point, you know?

Changing jobs can be stressful. It's hard to wrap things up, but if management is smart they'll be giving you a lighter workload as you reach your end date.

One thing I'm feeling, and especially if you been in the industry for like 10 years or more, it gets a bit old taking a job just to work at a big studio or to work on a A-list project. You'll get jaded and the priorities of work will start taking a back seat to family and stability eventually.

It's better to be working as a big fish in a small pond in a city or town with a better cost of living, often times making more overall and having a better quality of life usually.

On the flip side I worry about doing that and getting put into a situation where, as is the case with animation, there's only one studio in smaller city, and if they ever go under, then you're forced to move again for work or change fields.

:ohdear:

I knew a few guys who got burnt out. Guys who worked at pixar and ilm, and disney, and after 10 years they said gently caress it. They went into a completely different field, some went into industrial design or making toys, others running their own shop, etc.

On the other hand, the guy I share my office with, he didn't get into the industry until he was 35, and now he's 40 and hes supervising his department on a big show, so things can work both ways.

Before that he was an anthropologist and a mixed martial arts trainer. He was burned out from doing that.

It happens to everyone.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 20, 2010

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Should be sleeping posted:

Did...Did you use greebol to put a little cityscape on your tank?

I have no idea what greebol means.

Although, to possibly answer your question, I made a small cluster of a building-shaped messes, then grouped them together, duplicated, and adjusted them as necessary to change it up a little.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He could be referring to the Greeble plugin for max which can generate structures similar to what you have on your tank

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Geared Hub posted:

On the other hand, the guy I share my office with, he didn't get into the industry until he was 35, and now he's 40 and hes supervising his department on a big show, so things can work both ways.

Before that he was an anthropologist and a mixed martial arts trainer. He was burned out from doing that.

It happens to everyone.
I went back to college four years ago and just got out with a degree in animation at 36. Hearing about this guy gives me hope. :unsmith:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Izzy posted:

I went back to college four years ago and just got out with a degree in animation at 36. Hearing about this guy gives me hope. :unsmith:

While I'm not sure when he got in the industry, at SOE there was a guy on the character art team who was pushing 50, I'm sure. It's all fair game as long as you got the chops.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If you're interested in animation I'd recommend the new ianimate program. I just took Tim Ingersol's class here at Gnomon for Character Animation and he has a few friends teaching through it. I think he may be teaching with them as well. He's a pretty amazing guy and really knows his animation. As do the instructors listed on the site.

I'm not sure if it's cheaper than animationmentor or not, but I've heard it's comparable if not better. I'm a modeller so I'm not into it, but one of my classmates dropped out of Gnomon's full time program to take classes with ianimate and his work shows good progress.

Link: http://www.ianimate.net/

Drlupinmario
Aug 18, 2010

by T. Finn
Which is more preferable to use, 3DStudio or Maya? Or something else? Also, whats this about this Mudbox thing? Is it better then Zsphere? Because I really like Zsphere

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Drlupinmario posted:

Which is more preferable to use, 3DStudio or Maya? Or something else? Also, whats this about this Mudbox thing? Is it better then Zsphere? Because I really like Zsphere

The answers to your questions are: Yes. Probably not. Yes. Yes and no. Also, it's called Zbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drlupinmario
Aug 18, 2010

by T. Finn

mutata posted:

The answers to your questions are: Yes. Probably not. Yes. Yes and no. Also, it's called Zbrush.

Alright, thats helpfull to know, and yes I ment Zbrush. But could you go into more detail, like whats the real differance between 3DStudio and Maya? I dont know TOO much about 3d modeling, but I can make some intresting looking things with Zbrush. Really handy.