Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

idgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, bear with me on this one... If a guy was to very slowly swallow a very long piece of unbroken twine, suppressing his gag reflex the entire time, could he end up with one end of the string coming out of his butt and the other still sticking out of his mouth?

I've wondered this since childhood after seeing a cat with string hanging out of its balloon knot.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Danger Mahoney posted:

Alright, bear with me on this one... If a guy was to very slowly swallow a very long piece of unbroken twine, suppressing his gag reflex the entire time, could he end up with one end of the string coming out of his butt and the other still sticking out of his mouth?

I've wondered this since childhood after seeing a cat with string hanging out of its balloon knot.

Yes. It's done with cloth as a cleansing ritual by some people. Slooooooowly swallowing a very long bit of cloth. I think it's also coated in something, like oil?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Arakan posted:

idgi

It is impossible to "enhance" an image. The image, right now, is as detailed as it can be. The computer doesn't know what to fill in the missing pixels with when you try to double the resolution. It can guess, but it won't do a very good job, because unlike you, it doesn't see an object in the picture, it just knows that there are different colored dots next to each other. It can fill in by picking a color in between all of the nearby colors, but this results in a "fuzzy" looking image, because where you'd expect sharp borders, you get an extra pixel of in between color.

Your best bet is generally to find a better/larger starter image than you'll need, and shrink it down from there.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Barometer posted:

Yes. It's done with cloth as a cleansing ritual by some people. Slooooooowly swallowing a very long bit of cloth. I think it's also coated in something, like oil?

Uggh now I'm curious any sources.

gently caress you Danger Mahoney for making me ask that

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Uggh now I'm curious any sources.

gently caress you Danger Mahoney for making me ask that

Haha, well of course! I'm sure you just have a *ahem* passing interest in it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/44/can-yogas-swallow-a-cloth-and-have-it-come-out-the-urk-other-end

I remember seeing a show about it many years ago, but searching youtube didn't get me anywhere, and I don't suggest using the tag "swallow" on there.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Every prescription medicine I've ever seen says that if you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible or skip it, and never to take a double dose. Is anyone aware of medications that are indicated to double up?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

baquerd posted:

Every prescription medicine I've ever seen says that if you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible or skip it, and never to take a double dose. Is anyone aware of medications that are indicated to double up?
Vaguely remembering that something I was once prescribed had that indication, I did a Google search for “take both doses.” That yielded Clomid, Methimazole, Prednisone, and others. Prednisone was the one I had.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

baquerd posted:

MOst SSRIs are in a weird palce with respect to this. Skipping a dose can cause life changing side effects in a small number of people.

Also Birth control.

(Not a doctor)

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Is it weird that googling "COICA news" returns not a drat thing from a major news source? I checked up to page 8.

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
Here's a question for ya that was spawned by the Sleep Deprivation thread in GBS.

When I was younger (bolded to avoid useful comments like 'womg go to tcc!'), I used to enjoy abusing sleeping medications and other OTC stuff, like Benadryl. It wasn't so much that I enjoyed the feelings that this gave me but it helped me sleep during a period of time when things were all teenage angst and woe. Without any pills, I would stay awake for a day or two at a time before crashing savagely. With the pills, I managed to sleep during the night and foggily go through my day.

Medications that I took during this period include: Nytol, Sleepeze, Benadryl, Robaxacet, Demerol, Atasol 30, Ativan, and anything else that had a sleeping agent in it.

I would take 2 or 3 Nytol (1 pill lost its oomph after repeated doses), and begin to pass out. I would sort of lose the ability to control my body, feeling trapped and helpless, as my limbs would twitch and jump. It felt like waves of heat were rushing through me. Sometimes, I would manage to move and try to reposition myself comfortably, only to find that a bizarre throbbing/aching feeling, similar to growth spurts, was taking place on my arms and legs. It would "burn" and throb to the point where nothing I did would work, and I would be awake in this deeply fogged state of reality.

I haven't abused these medications for a very long time (10 years or so), but sometimes when I take a prescribed sleeping pill (advised by my GP or psychiatrist) or even some medication with a sedative effect.....the throbbing growth-spurt feeling returns with a vengence! It is so bad that I will not be able to sleep despite the medication, and I will constantly toss and turn to try and ease the twitchy, anxious feeling in my limbs. Nothing helps.

The first question is - did the abuse I throttled my body with in my teenage years somehow screw me up so that even with controlled, approved drugs, I still get the savage side effects??

The second is - is there a name for this particular sensation? I cannot describe it any better than that hollow throbbing/twitchy feeling that makes your arms and legs restless.

I've always described it as sleep paralysis, but I feel that the definition includes 'sleep', and this feeling happens instead of sleep, actually keeping me awake.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Alright I'm guessing you already talked to a few doctors and none of them could give you answer so they told you to ask some goons. Right?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dudebro posted:

Alright I'm guessing you already talked to a few doctors and none of them could give you answer so they told you to ask some goons. Right?

Doctors, almost without exception, ignore unpublished side effects of drugs to protect their professional liability. Espcieally when those side effects happen after stopping taking the drug.

The SSRI lawsuits (especially concerning the sudden withdrawal side effects) revealed that doctors who should have been aware of new side effects because they were being reported from literally hundreds of patients to the same doctor would simply not process the patient reports of side effects. In particular, once the patient stopped taking the SSRIs the doctor just ignored reports of side effects, because they just were not making what should have been an obvious connection.

The desire to protect themselves from liability makes it impossible for doctors to actually listen to patient reported side effects. If they acknowledge them, they admit potential liability. So congitive dissonance makes them unable to process side effects that have not already been acknowledged by the drug manunfacturer.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I remember hearing a myth/modern folklore idea that there was an underground civilization that accessed our via means of elevators. that something like 1/500 elevators actually took you down to their world. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the civilization or its inhabitants/monsters (can't remember which they were perceived as). Google turns up a poo poo ton of hollow earth theories, but nothing that is like what I'm thinking of.

Thanks!

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thehandtruck posted:

What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

Not a program, but you can try Applian's Freecorder Toolbar. It's smart enough now to detect the change from one song or audio clip to another and saves them all in mp3 format until you're done recording, and most times it will let you select which audio source you want to use (for me it's Windows Vista or Freecorder) and then label the recordings. I'm using Windows 7, but it still works.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

eternalbuffalo posted:

Here's a question for ya that was spawned by the Sleep Deprivation thread in GBS.

When I was younger (bolded to avoid useful comments like 'womg go to tcc!'), I used to enjoy abusing sleeping medications and other OTC stuff, like Benadryl. It wasn't so much that I enjoyed the feelings that this gave me but it helped me sleep during a period of time when things were all teenage angst and woe. Without any pills, I would stay awake for a day or two at a time before crashing savagely. With the pills, I managed to sleep during the night and foggily go through my day.

Medications that I took during this period include: Nytol, Sleepeze, Benadryl, Robaxacet, Demerol, Atasol 30, Ativan, and anything else that had a sleeping agent in it.

I would take 2 or 3 Nytol (1 pill lost its oomph after repeated doses), and begin to pass out. I would sort of lose the ability to control my body, feeling trapped and helpless, as my limbs would twitch and jump. It felt like waves of heat were rushing through me. Sometimes, I would manage to move and try to reposition myself comfortably, only to find that a bizarre throbbing/aching feeling, similar to growth spurts, was taking place on my arms and legs. It would "burn" and throb to the point where nothing I did would work, and I would be awake in this deeply fogged state of reality.

I haven't abused these medications for a very long time (10 years or so), but sometimes when I take a prescribed sleeping pill (advised by my GP or psychiatrist) or even some medication with a sedative effect.....the throbbing growth-spurt feeling returns with a vengence! It is so bad that I will not be able to sleep despite the medication, and I will constantly toss and turn to try and ease the twitchy, anxious feeling in my limbs. Nothing helps.

The first question is - did the abuse I throttled my body with in my teenage years somehow screw me up so that even with controlled, approved drugs, I still get the savage side effects??

The second is - is there a name for this particular sensation? I cannot describe it any better than that hollow throbbing/twitchy feeling that makes your arms and legs restless.

I've always described it as sleep paralysis, but I feel that the definition includes 'sleep', and this feeling happens instead of sleep, actually keeping me awake.

I would crosspost this in TGD.

Exitlights
Dec 25, 2006
Calmly and clearly announce that the building must be evacuated.
I'm trying to find the name of a card game my friends and I play... We call it 'Box', but it's definitely not what the internet calls 'Box'.

The game is played with 3 or more players (up to a maximum of 6, comfortably), and the deck is distributed evenly among the players. The first player to play puts down a 7 of spades, and then play proceeds clockwise around the circle of players with each player playing one card. Players have three options on their turn: 1) play the next consecutive number (either ascending/descending, aces are low) on a given suit, 2) play an unplayed 7 of another suit, or 3) take the box (we call it 'boxing'... a player cannot box unless they absolutely have no other choice). After a player does one of these three things, their turn is over and the next player plays. After every 6, 7, and 8 are played, the field of play looks roughly like this (order of suits left to right doesn't matter, could have been S,D,H,C, etc.):

8S 8C 8H 8D
7S 7C 7H 7D
6S 6C 6H 6D

... and after every card is played (this result in the game is impossible, since the game ends when any one player is out of cards), the field of play looks roughly like this:

KS KC KH KD
7S 7C 7H 7D
AS AC AH AD

The round ends when any player plays their last card. At that point, everyone calculates the point value associated with their hand. Aces are worth 15 points, the box is worth 20 points, face cards are worth 10 points, and every other card is worth its number.

You play rounds until you're sick of playing, and then determine a winner based on lowest number of points. What the gently caress is this game called?

dmkmills
Nov 12, 2003
Jedi Knight
Hopefully this is a small question...

I order a lot of stuff online, mostly from Amazon. I recently moved apartments, and in my new (much nicer, gated community), the UPS delivery guy will leave the InfoNotice on my door, and indicate that the package was left with the central apartment office.
I suppose this might be good if I didn't want anyone to steal stuff, but since the office closes at 6pm and I usually don't get home until after that, I don't get my stuff until the next day at least, and even then I have to get home early.
This obviously makes release-day delivery and Amazon Prime *less* awesome.

In my older (not-as-nice, much more prone to random people and possibly theft) apartment, the UPS guy *always* left it on my doorstep.

My question is, does anyone have a clever or insightful idea on how I can just get the guy to leave it at my door? None of this stuff is signature-required or anything. Anyways, any ideas would be welcome!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If there's a field for delivery info, you can try mentioning it there. There's no guarantee that will work though, your UPS driver is just lazy or has a really busy route and picks the easiest way for him. That's why they usually knock and run.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Exitlights posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a card game my friends and I play... We call it 'Box', but it's definitely not what the internet calls 'Box'.

The game is played with 3 or more players (up to a maximum of 6, comfortably), and the deck is distributed evenly among the players. The first player to play puts down a 7 of spades, and then play proceeds clockwise around the circle of players with each player playing one card. Players have three options on their turn: 1) play the next consecutive number (either ascending/descending, aces are low) on a given suit, 2) play an unplayed 7 of another suit, or 3) take the box (we call it 'boxing'... a player cannot box unless they absolutely have no other choice). After a player does one of these three things, their turn is over and the next player plays. After every 6, 7, and 8 are played, the field of play looks roughly like this (order of suits left to right doesn't matter, could have been S,D,H,C, etc.):

8S 8C 8H 8D
7S 7C 7H 7D
6S 6C 6H 6D

... and after every card is played (this result in the game is impossible, since the game ends when any one player is out of cards), the field of play looks roughly like this:

KS KC KH KD
7S 7C 7H 7D
AS AC AH AD

The round ends when any player plays their last card. At that point, everyone calculates the point value associated with their hand. Aces are worth 15 points, the box is worth 20 points, face cards are worth 10 points, and every other card is worth its number.

You play rounds until you're sick of playing, and then determine a winner based on lowest number of points. What the gently caress is this game called?

I always called it Sevens although we didn't have any scoring when I played it as a kid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevens_%28card_game%29

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

dmkmills posted:

Hopefully this is a small question...

I order a lot of stuff online, mostly from Amazon. I recently moved apartments, and in my new (much nicer, gated community), the UPS delivery guy will leave the InfoNotice on my door, and indicate that the package was left with the central apartment office.
I suppose this might be good if I didn't want anyone to steal stuff, but since the office closes at 6pm and I usually don't get home until after that, I don't get my stuff until the next day at least, and even then I have to get home early.
This obviously makes release-day delivery and Amazon Prime *less* awesome.

In my older (not-as-nice, much more prone to random people and possibly theft) apartment, the UPS guy *always* left it on my doorstep.

My question is, does anyone have a clever or insightful idea on how I can just get the guy to leave it at my door? None of this stuff is signature-required or anything. Anyways, any ideas would be welcome!

Leave a note on your door. I had a winter job with UPS delivering packages and this was fairly common practice (2 or 3 people per route) and both the driver and I would leave packages at those houses.

Of course, deciding to adhere to the note is up to the driver's discretion -- some drivers are more nervous about it than others because if the package gets stolen, its their rear end on the line.

Do you have a doormat? Both years I worked there, I was told by my drivers that if an apartment has a doormat, it is acceptable to leave the package there instead of the office (because its easier to conceal the package--especially if its a small item like a book). I'd take that with a grain of salt though as it always sounded to me like a stupid rule for UPS corporate to implement.

One more thing - not sure how your apartment is organized, but if you have room on your front porch for some sort of large pot with a lid or a storage container, leave a note for the driver to put your packages in there- it'll make a driver more likely to drop off the package if he's nervous about it.. You'll only need to leave the note a few times if you're a regular drop off since you'll have the same driver almost every day.

e: You'll probably have different drivers/additional package runners around the holidays due to high volume.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Alderdash posted:

Do you have a doormat? Both years I worked there, I was told by my drivers that if an apartment has a doormat, it is acceptable to leave the package there instead of the office (because its easier to conceal the package--especially if its a small item like a book). I'd take that with a gain of salt though as it always sounded to me like a stupid rule for UPS corporate to implement.

And then you accidentally roll your ankle on your doormat, crushing your iPad in the process :)

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Why haven't we adopted a standard name for the 00's decade? I've heard people call it the "millennials", the "two-thousands"... but those sound retarded or else don't make any sense.

Personally, I've been saying "noughties" since I first heard the word, even though "nought" is strictly a British English word. Somebody in another thread just ordered me not to use it. Why, and what the gently caress else am I going to call it?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Raimundus posted:

Why haven't we adopted a standard name for the 00's decade? I've heard people call it the "millennials", the "two-thousands"... but those sound retarded or else don't make any sense.

Personally, I've been saying "noughties" since I first heard the word, even though "nought" is strictly a British English word. Somebody in another thread just ordered me not to use it. Why, and what the gently caress else am I going to call it?

I can't speak too much about convention, but "millennials" refers to a generation, not the decade.

To give some thoughts about convention, I think you were asked not to use "noughties" because grammatically it would be the "noughts." (We call it the "nineties" because you are referring to "ninety.") Additionally, "nought" refers to nothing, so a better term would be the "aughts," which refers to the number zero.

I've heard the "aughts" and the "ohs" to refer to the last decade, and I personally use the two interchangeably.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Raimundus posted:

For that matter, what are we calling the decade we're living in now? Maybe it's because English isn't my native, but I can't think of a good term. The 'teens'?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Raimundus posted:

People started using "noughties" because they liked the word play with "naughty," which is retarded. They're the "aughts."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Daemus posted:

For that matter, what are we calling the decade we're living in now? Maybe it's because English isn't my native, but I can't think of a good term. The 'teens'?

"Tens"

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Raimundus posted:

If history is any guide, the standard name will become "the first decade", which has the advantage of not just being perfectly descriptive, but also not sounding loving retarded.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Daemus posted:

I've heard "teens" used to describe the 1910's, so that'd probably work.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
The problem with "tens" in my view is that "twenties/thirties" work because there are several of them ("twenty-one", "twenty-two" etc.) but really only one "ten".

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Daemus posted:

The problem with "tens" in my view is that "twenties/thirties" work because there are several of them ("twenty-one", "twenty-two" etc.) but really only one "ten".

But the problem with "teens" is that it excludes 2010, 2011, and 2012. [Shrug.] People will understand you either way. And it won't matter after the Mayan calendar eats our faces.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Isn't the easy answer just naming the "tens" however we named 1910-1919? This must have come up at some point, I personally have no idea.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wyatt posted:

But the problem with "teens" is that it excludes 2010, 2011, and 2012. [Shrug.] People will understand you either way. And it won't matter after the Mayan calendar eats our faces.
I'd go with teens anyway, since teen is just another form of ten.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Raimundus posted:

I've heard "teens" used to describe the 1910's, so that'd probably work.

Agreeeing with this.

Historically decades (like all history) is referred to historically. From where we stand we use relative terms: In the next ten years etc, in this decade, in the last decade, etc.

Famous example: Kennedy did not say we would put a man on the moon in the 'sixties'; he said we would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade (even though he was referring to the sixties).

Referring to current times with historical labels just guarantees that you are using a word with an expiration date. History decides (after the fact) what the past is called. Probably the fact the 2000 was such a big deal has made people really want to agonize about it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That is really ridiculous reasoning you're using there. So one of example of Kennedy not using the phrase "the sixties" is supposed to mean something? People said "80s" and "90s" all the time in those decades. And politicans in general aren't going to use those terms in speeches since they are sort of informal.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Not to mention we're past the 00's now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was just reminded of an incident when I was younger. I was volunteering for highway clean-up [Alberts, Canada], and came across a yellow block of styrofoam about a foot to foot and a half width that had killed all the plant life around it. Diameter of the dead patch would have been about 3 feet I think. What sort of yellow styrofoam could have fallen off a vehicle and killed all the grass around it?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

WierdFishes posted:

I was just reminded of an incident when I was younger. I was volunteering for highway clean-up [Alberts, Canada], and came across a yellow block of styrofoam about a foot to foot and a half width that had killed all the plant life around it. Diameter of the dead patch would have been about 3 feet I think. What sort of yellow styrofoam could have fallen off a vehicle and killed all the grass around it?
Some delicious yellowcake?

e: I thought I was kidding: The Yellowcake Trail.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 28, 2010

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Anyone experienced with paypal refunds? I got a seller saying when they got my money they transferred it to their bank account. I opened a dispute when they didn't send me the tickets--turns out they lost them--and apparently they used their credit card to pay the amount of money back to paypal.

But I'm not seeing it in my paypal balance. Should I just escalate it? Paypal help is no use to me and just says some automated message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

kapalama posted:

Referring to current times with historical labels just guarantees that you are using a word with an expiration date. History decides (after the fact) what the past is called. Probably the fact the 2000 was such a big deal has made people really want to agonize about it.

I think it's more like we're confused about what to call the decade because American English provides no decent options. I think people have been asking this kind of question for about ten years, now.

Maybe this needed its own thread?