Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Does he do any geometry changes? Or just replicate the stock one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

Does he do any geometry changes? Or just replicate the stock one?

Just a duplication of the stock one, but the added rigidity coming from an all steel frame is really noticeable and allows for faster pickups and better braking input when rolling endos. Also, now that he's put the effort into this it's led at least 3 other people I know of to start making their own frames. I'm sure we'll see some exciting new developments as more and more people start experimenting with the concept!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Steel is generally a lot less rigid than aluminum. Nevermind that you've got basically a two piece frame now. Is there any actual engineering or proof that what you have is stiffer?

Edit: Better braking input from a frame? Okay.

n8r fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can't say I'd wanna be stunting on a frame that's been cut in half and a seperate part fastened to the front.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Deeters posted:

Come for some basic stunting on a Sportster, stay for the last 30 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQP9EoV06Tw

To bad, I wanted to see him bust out a sick 12 o'clocker with those silly ape hangers.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
It looks like the crash bars are part of the structure, I'm sure that helps.

The paint scheme is pretty cool looking, and thats what stunting is about, right?

V I meant it :colbert: Who cares if it does flex more, its primary function is to catch your eye, and it does it well.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 26, 2010

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Gullous posted:

The paint scheme is pretty cool looking, and thats what stunting is about, right?

I know you're being facetious, but it really is. Stunting is about showmanship. That's what the crowd wants, yea sure the rider has to have some set of skills, but the audience just wants showmanship.

And visuals are part of that. I'm sure there are some bros watching going, "man that frame looks wicked pisser like my loving rockstar monster 3000 energy drink I just mixed with my dad's stash of vodka" and then that bro remembers the stunter with the neon frame and the stunter with the neon frame ropes up all these bros and get's an endorsement to let him buy more energy drink colored frames and then wham bam thank you ma'am he's a MOTHERFUCKING MILLIONAIRE AND THE KEN BLOCK OF STUNTING.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Serious question, how can I learn to control my bike like that? Find a group of stunters and "apprentice" as it were? Would it be necessary to learn on dirt?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

inolen posted:

Also, now that he's put the effort into this it's led at least 3 other people I know of to start making their own frames. I'm sure we'll see some exciting new developments as more and more people start experimenting with the concept!

Or exciting new ways for frames to break.

I have to say the bike does look sharp, but how come the stunting world hasnt figured out a solution for flattened tanks yet? The rest of the bike is bright and flashy and the tank looks like it was thrown off a mountain, retrieved, and bolted back on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Serious question, how can I learn to control my bike like that? Find a group of stunters and "apprentice" as it were? Would it be necessary to learn on dirt?

Dirt is an easier start than asphalt, that's for sure. A lot of guys seem to recommend picking up 50s and starting with that. If I wanted to really take up stunting I'd definitely try and dig up a little dirtbike to screw around with first, then find a crashed bike to stunt out (or a pre-stunted one).

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Try stunting in the snow:

Only $5500

I wonder how much power that transfer case robs...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Gullous posted:

Try stunting in the snow:

Only $5500

I wonder how much power that transfer case robs...

That would be so much fun. I know a couple guys who have ridden them in the snow and they just love them.

I mean just look at it.

SUPERSNOWMOTO!

I won't ever get tired of this image :v:

MrZig fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 27, 2010

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Would this be the snow 'busa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvaoW3pz7Iw&t=14s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RxHauGny0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RgWyahOa8&feature=player_embedded

Last one is most definitely a repost but ah well

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

n8r posted:

Steel is generally a lot less rigid than aluminum. Nevermind that you've got basically a two piece frame now. Is there any actual engineering or proof that what you have is stiffer?

Edit: Better braking input from a frame? Okay.

I'm not a fabricator or engineer by any means, but as far as I know, when comparing a piece of steel and the same sized piece of aluminum, the steel will be "stronger." Aluminum can be stronger, but it requires more material to achieve the same strength. Regardless, the overall strength and rigidity of the frame is determined by much more than the individual metals used to create it.

As far as the 2 piece part goes:
1. The connecting joint is very sturdy. Since the stock frame is hollow in that area, a solid adapter block a few inches long is inserted and welded in and then that is bolted to the new front half.
2. The joint is in between the two rear motor mounts, so if for whatever reason the connecting joint isn't strong enough, those will be helping hold it together.

And yes, better braking input while rolling endos from this frame. When rolling endos and having the entire weight of the bike concentrated on the neck of the frame, you can really feel the slop and flex in a stock frame compared to this. You seem to act like this isn't possible, perhaps you have years of experience rolling endos that would provide some alternate insight into the situation?

Synonamess Botch posted:

Hah, there is no apprenticing, this isn't Biker Boyz :lol: I don't think learning on dirt is necessary, and as z3n said, some people do learn on 50s. I personally think finding an old f2/f3/f4i for $1500 on craigslist and going at it on a 600 is your best bet and then hit up some local bike nights, filter through the idiots and you'll find someone who knows someone who knows someone who does wheelies in parking lots.

Leah did a short writeup about getting started and find spots here that we still haven't fleshed out:
http://www.leahstunts.com/Blog/DetailsPost/498

We also did a writeup about getting started on a cheap old bike here:
http://www.stuntbums.com/Blog/stunting-on-a-budget-ernie-vigil-talks-about-riding-the-prehistoric-wonder-bike

And then we did a 3 part series where we somewhat documented our friend Tone throughout his quest to learn idle wheelies. It's not exactly the most technical documentary, but if you spend some time riding, ask some questions at your local lot and watch the videos for reference I'm sure they could be beneficial to you as you learn:
http://www.stuntbums.com/Category/riding-tips

Phat_Albert posted:

Or exciting new ways for frames to break.

I have to say the bike does look sharp, but how come the stunting world hasnt figured out a solution for flattened tanks yet? The rest of the bike is bright and flashy and the tank looks like it was thrown off a mountain, retrieved, and bolted back on.

Haha, that is possible, but the stock ones already break so easy that it can't be any worse. I just see it as another progressive step in our immature sport. What we do clearly isn't riding a sportbike in it's traditional sense, it's not trials riding and we keep working towards tweaking our machines to do what we want to do better in order to further define our sport.

Also, lots of people are starting to chop up and create really nice custom tanks, but it's just that denting them still provides great performance for the amount of work. I can't find any great close up shots, but check out Dan Jackson's tank from his 09 zx6r:

It's completely flat with a built up lip in the back for keeping in there when on the tank.

inolen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 27, 2010

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
We are not talking about strength, we are talking about flex. In the dirtbike world, it is well known that steel framed bikes flex under really harsh conditions, while aluminium frames stay very rigid. Your new steel frame might be more rigid because of the way it was designed, but the likelihood that it is actually flexing less than the old aluminum one is minimal, as they don't flex hardly at all. I would be more inclined to think that endos are easier now because the frame flexes and absorbs bumps and jars better, than because it is more rigid.

In celebration of leaving for the 24 hour race in 2 days, you all should watch this nice little documentary on last years race. Its not done yet, but 3 of the 4 parts are.

Pinning The Ridge - Part 1
http://www.vimeo.com/15149203

Pinning The Ridge - Part 2
http://www.vimeo.com/15866749

Pinning The Ridge - Part 3
http://www.vimeo.com/16188736

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

TheFonz posted:

I know you're being facetious, but it really is. Stunting is about showmanship. That's what the crowd wants, yea sure the rider has to have some set of skills, but the audience just wants showmanship.

And visuals are part of that. I'm sure there are some bros watching going, "man that frame looks wicked pisser like my loving rockstar monster 3000 energy drink I just mixed with my dad's stash of vodka" and then that bro remembers the stunter with the neon frame and the stunter with the neon frame ropes up all these bros and get's an endorsement to let him buy more energy drink colored frames and then wham bam thank you ma'am he's a MOTHERFUCKING MILLIONAIRE AND THE KEN BLOCK OF STUNTING.

That's like saying any sport is all about showmanship. Not all stunters want to be flashy, plenty just want to be left alone in some remote parking lot so they can entertain themselves trying new tricks on their beater.

I personally wanted something brighter this season as I spent all last season shooting photos of a bunch of black and red bikes that just come out looking horrible in photos. I've always loved Rossi's bright colors:

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

mutt2jeff posted:

We are not talking about strength, we are talking about flex. In the dirtbike world, it is well known that steel framed bikes flex under really harsh conditions, while aluminium frames stay very rigid. Your new steel frame might be more rigid because of the way it was designed, but the likelihood that it is actually flexing less than the old aluminum one is minimal, as they don't flex hardly at all. I would be more inclined to think that endos are easier now because the frame flexes and absorbs bumps and jars better, than because it is more rigid.

I am aware of the steel vs aluminum frame situation in the dirtbike world, but we're talking a completely different frame design here, not just a steel version of the stock aluminum frame. Although I'm sure the crack I was running with on my old aluminum frame near the end of its life wasn't exactly helping my opinion of it.

Edit: Again, not an engineer here. I can only talk about how it feels to me and the others that have also started running a similar setup.

inolen fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 27, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

inolen posted:

I am aware of the steel vs aluminum frame situation in the dirtbike world, but we're talking a completely different frame design here, not just a steel version of the stock aluminum frame. Although I'm sure the crack I was running with on my old aluminum frame near the end of its life wasn't exactly helping my opinion of it.

Edit: Again, not an engineer here. I can only talk about how it feels to me and the others that have also started running a similar setup.

Using "average" alloys for the numbers.

Steel is about 2.86 X as stiff as aluminum, but weighs about 2.9 X more. It's almost a wash, with aluminum barely poking ahead in stiffness to weight by about 1.3%. Inolen has the right idea about different frames though, you can't compare the materials involved unless the geometry is the same.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For only $1.1 million, you can show everyone how utterly retarded you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Phf8ytsfD0

I offered him $500 so I could dump it in the Mariana trench.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Please tell me the 1.1 mil is all going to charity or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjp5uvfiHIY
Daaaaaamn

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What a tool.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Getting ready for Halloween.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

harm0nic posted:

While you're at it, get ready for the "ATTGATT, MOTHERFUCKER!!" storm and other safety lectures.

For content, here's a bobbed 1963 Sportster with a 900 ironhead built by my friend Rat Rod Rusty:
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/33826c3445b8bb82502ede32cd4bd31902efdb8e/604617423212[1].JPG[/img]

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 28, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

While you're at it, get ready for the "ATTGATT, MOTHERFUCKER!!" storm and other safety lectures.

He wouldn't make it out of his apartment's parking lot (where the picture appears to be taken) without crashing if he wore the mask while riding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For content, here's a bobbed 1963 Sportster with a 900 ironhead built by my friend Rat Rod Rusty:
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/33826c3445b8bb82502ede32cd4bd31902efdb8e/604617423212[1].JPG[/timg]

Very classy, I dig :)

But what's with the gigantic sidestand?

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you

harm0nic posted:

What's with the long face?

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Hah, yeah. I can't see a goddamn thing through that mask. I'd kill myself before I left the parking lot.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

harm0nic posted:

Take this picture again with a helmet on the mask.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

saw this at Metropolis Motorcycles yesterday, the Sharpiest of Sharpie paint jobs. Really pretty slick looking. Can't imagine the cost though, and you know it'll never be ridden, just put on a podium in a bike shop or in the million £ loft of some rich prick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Is there a guy with a high pressure air jet pointing at her face from just behind the camera?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ynotony posted:

Take this picture again with a helmet on the mask.

I had my horse mask laying around, so I said "what the hell"

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slim Pickens posted:

I had my horse mask laying around, so I said "what the hell"

That sounds a bit...nonchalant. Is there a motorcyclist horse-mask thing I'm unaware of?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More like an SA horse-mask thing. I bought it 2 years ago, but it's a big thing in the GBS halloween thread.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The popularity of the horse mask makes life a lot easier for those of us who actually look like that.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

:v:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist