Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

boydx posted:

Quick question, I currently have a Nikon D40 and mainly use the 50mm 1.8 which is a pain to manual focus all the time. Would I be better getting a body that will auto focus that lens or get the 35mm 1.8 AF-S.
Well unless you want to switch to FX ($2k) soon the 35 is never a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DVNO
Oct 10, 2005

Beautiful Burnout
I use my 35mm 1.8 on FF all the time with only minor vignetting, It's such a great little prime.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Can you emulate what color filters do for bw photography by simply shooting raw and adjusting channels or is it simply not the same thing?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ease posted:

Can you emulate what color filters do for bw photography by simply shooting raw and adjusting channels or is it simply not the same thing?

To an extent yes but it's never quite the same as using a polarizer or an NDF. And if you're shooting B&W conversion then skies are going to blow unless you use a blue filter etc.

Of course you can recover this stuff in Photoshop but it can be really labour intensive.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
DxO FilmPack can emulate colored filters:

http://www.dxo.com/ca/photo/filmpack/available_film_looks

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to. DxO Optics Pro comes with a few slide film filters as a teaser and they work great, so I'd imagine the FilmPack would be similarly good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just tried out the trial version of DxO FilmPack. So. loving. Good. I probably shoot more black and white film than anyone else here and I can say that FilmPack gives you dead-on film looks and you can even adjust the grain qualities to match different film formats like if it were on 35mm, medium format or large format. I can't speak with as much authority on color negative and slide, but it does a damned good job of matching what I'm familiar with including Kodachrome.

And as for filters, hell yeah. Pick your film type, pick your filter, done. Easy as pie. It's also a great learning tool to see how different filters would affect a certain photo.

HPL fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 15, 2010

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

I just tried out the trial version of DxO FilmPack. So. loving. Good. I probably shoot more black and white film than anyone else here and I can say that FilmPack gives you dead-on film looks and you can even adjust the grain qualities to match different film formats like if it were on 35mm, medium format or large format. I can't speak with as much authority on color negative and slide, but it does a damned good job of matching what I'm familiar with including Kodachrome.

And as for filters, hell yeah. Pick your film type, pick your filter, done. Easy as pie. It's also a great learning tool to see how different filters would affect a certain photo.

Just to add to this excellent tip:

There are a bunch of free filters available for Lightroom that let you emulate the effect of various types of B&W film, with a simple mouse click.

They work really well. Now you can relive the wars between the HP5 and FP4 fans from the good old days.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

Have you used Nik Color Efex's film presets? I'd love to hear a comparison.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
This is the only forum I've ever had basically every thread (Except the Canon thread, cause gently caress those guys) be all blue (from being read). Partially because of it not being quite as active as some subforums, but mostly because all of the threads are awesome (except the canon thread, because, well, you know).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

subx posted:

(Except the Canon thread, cause gently caress those guys)...(except the canon thread, because, well, you know).
What is this console warrior bullshit?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

subx posted:

This is the only forum I've ever had basically every thread (Except the Canon thread, cause gently caress those guys) be all blue (from being read). Partially because of it not being quite as active as some subforums, but mostly because all of the threads are awesome (except the canon thread, because, well, you know).

The canon thread randomly has a lot of nikon users posting.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Paragon8 posted:

The canon thread randomly has a lot of nikon users posting.

They're like missionaries: they're bringing the glory of Nikon to the savages. :smug:

I kid, I kid. :D

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
We have to keep an eye on our enemies...

Edit: I like to think that people here realize that Nikon and Canon both make very good gear regardless of what they personally use.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dread Head posted:

We have to keep an eye on our enemies...

Edit: I like to think that people here realize that Nikon and Canon both make very good gear regardless of what they personally use.

Or you're like me and used both in the past.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What is this console warrior bullshit?

Because it was said in a completely serious tone and I really hate everyone that uses brand X of device Y :rolleyes:

Where I work has switched to mostly Canons, but still has all of their Nikon lenses. I get to borrow them easier that way, since their not in use as much (they really only use the Nikon's for remote camera work at sporting events). So that's the only reason I picked Nikon in the first place.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Nanon or Cikon?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

squidflakes posted:

Nanon or Cikon?

Spentax.

Folympus

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Sorny.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a lightroom catalog from a Mac. As far as I know, it was version 2.x.

I am trying to open this same catalog file in the latest version for Windows (3). It is saying the file is corrupted.

Is it really corrupted, or is this switch not possible? Google appears to be telling me that people have done this, but maybe the version difference is the road block here?

edit: I selected the menu option "import photos from catalog" and that demanded the lr2 catalog be converted as well, but for some reason this time it worked! I blame windows lol.

other people fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 26, 2010

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."
I'm having trouble taking long exposure shots. I have have a Cannon EOS 50D. I set it to manual - set my shutter speed to 'bulb', but sometimes it won't let me take the photo (my camera is always on a tripod at this stage). Is it not letting me take the photo becuase there's not enough light? Is there a way to make it take regardless?

My friend just got her photo chosen for a competition... It's of a dead tree in the Namibia Desert. Go have a look if you're interested (and please vote for her photo... she has almost won, and it closes today)

http://info.thewest.com.au/travelpicture/index.php

spog
Aug 7, 2004

clam posted:

I'm having trouble taking long exposure shots. I have have a Cannon EOS 50D. I set it to manual - set my shutter speed to 'bulb', but sometimes it won't let me take the photo (my camera is always on a tripod at this stage). Is it not letting me take the photo becuase there's not enough light? Is there a way to make it take regardless?

Have you turned off the AF and are focusing manually?

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

I've set the dial to 'M'... but do I have to do something on the lense too? Sorry, I know I sound terribly amaturish! I guess I am!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

clam posted:

I've set the dial to 'M'... but do I have to do something on the lense too? Sorry, I know I sound terribly amaturish! I guess I am!

When you can't take a picture, is your autofocus searching for focus?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the camera can't achieve autofocus, it won't let you take a picture. The camera requires some contrast in the scene to do this, so if you're taking picture of a night sky.. the camera is probably going to make a token effort at finding focus, then quickly give up (which it does silently, giving no hint there's an issue).

The lens should have a AF/M switch on it to put it in manual focus. The "M" setting on the mode dial just tells the camera you want to set shutter/aperture manually.. doesn't effect focus at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

The lens should have a AF/M switch on it to put it in manual focus. The "M" setting on the mode dial just tells the camera you want to set shutter/aperture manually.. doesn't effect focus at all.

Just to add a tip to this - when I take a night shot, the first step I do is to aim the camera at something far away that has enough light/contrast to let it obtain a focus lock, then flick the switch on the lens to 'MF'

That way, you have your lens set to infinity focus without having to try to manually focussing through a dim viewfinder.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, thanks guys that's really helpful! If I understand correctly, you're saying that I should either flick the switch to manual focus, or have the camera focus for me and then flick the switch... but once the switch is on MF, the camera should let me take whatever shot I want (becuase it won't be trying to focus for me, and then silently giving up).

I'm going to try this tonight :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah.. if the moon is still out, you can use it to focus.

We just passed a full moon so it should be a nice, easy target.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have a lightroom catalog from a Mac. As far as I know, it was version 2.x.

I am trying to open this same catalog file in the latest version for Windows (3). It is saying the file is corrupted.
I've opened a windows LR2 catalog in windows LR3 (it converted it for me I think) so I know at least that's possible.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 26, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

clam posted:

As people have said, in one-shot AF it probably won't let you release until it's locked focus, and because it's so dark the AF module just gives up.
Focus on the moon (with a half-press) until it locks then switch the lens to M, or switch it to M on the lens then use the focus scale to stick it on infinity (∞).

Then you can just snap whenever you want. Don't forget to put the lens switch back on A or A/M when you're done or you'll find yourself posting here wondering if your autofocus module or lens is broken :)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
what happens if I have lens->CPL->FaderND?

I don't have either filter yet, but I'm trying to decide what thread size to get. I've got 58, 72 and 77mm thread lenses, so if I get a 77mm CPL and a 77mm fader with a 58-77 and 72-77 adapter ring, will that give me the ability to use either filter on its own or combined? Unfortunately, the fader is a step up so the 77mm version has an 82mm outer thread, so if I have to use lens->fader->CPL then I'll need a 82mm CPL and 58-77, 72-77, 58-82, 72-82 and 77-82 adapters, and a whole lot more loving around when shooting.

If anyone is wondering, the fader is a pair of CPLs, with the forward one reversed so QWP->LPL->LPL->QWP.

Rereading that, it looks like the lens->CPL->fader won't work at all. lens->(QWP->LPL)->(QWP->LPL->LPL->QWP)->world != lens->(QWP->LPL->LPL->QWP)->(QWP->LPL)->world). Can anyone confirm?

If it doesn't work I'll just buy a cheap 82mm LPL in addition to 77mm a CPL and 77mm fader.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

It seems that lately every single picture I take is terrible. I suspect it's an artifact of now knowing a little bit about what makes a good picture but not enough to be able to create one. It's really killing my desire to go out and shoot; the weather change has also added to that. How do you get over the hump of thinking everything you shoot is total poo poo?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

wins32767 posted:

It seems that lately every single picture I take is terrible. I suspect it's an artifact of now knowing a little bit about what makes a good picture but not enough to be able to create one. It's really killing my desire to go out and shoot; the weather change has also added to that. How do you get over the hump of thinking everything you shoot is total poo poo?

Just shoot more. I think every photographer goes through this at some point. Even if I don't feel like shooting I still shoot.

I know as a musician I go through the same thing as well with my instrument. A little self-awareness never hurts I don't think.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

wins32767 posted:

I'm going through that again, I usually buy new gear, the desire to play around with it and test it out takes away the feeling of lovely results. ex: Oh, new lenses always have a learning curve!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A much cheaper solution is to take pictures of things you normally don't.

Or just take a break. Pause for two weeks, when you pick the camera up again suddenly everything will seem interesting.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

wins32767 posted:

Go on a trip somewhere.. even just somewhere for a weekend can help.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Go outside your comfort zone and do stuff you normally wouldn't. Tired of landscapes? Go shoot sports or do reportage or fashion or portraits or whatever.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Read a book about photography and go visit your local art gallery.

edit: really the book and exhibit dont even have to be about photography they could just be about art

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Look at photos you like and decide why you like them. Once you know why you like them you can work towards making photos that you like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Read a book about photography and go visit your local art gallery.
A national museum pass is that best purchase I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dread Head posted:

Look at photos you like and decide why you like them.

In a word: "Boobies"