Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

shchmue posted:

Those are low-pass filter sweeps. Auto Filter should be able to apply a decaying cutoff effect like this. I don't think there's a way to make it retrigger though, and that could force you to use really wonky automation. You probably have to use a third-party plugin, or else re-sample your samples with the decaying cutoff LPF manually applied.

To clarify this, you'd want white noise as a sound source, and the filter should be resonant. Most software synths should be able to do this. Then you can sample it and plop it into a Drum Rack or whatever :coal:

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Okay, I'm sort of getting it, but I'm still too dumb to get it 100% yet. I can't actually get the length of the noise to last long enough! The note is quite short, even though the midi note is very long-- is this to do with my ADSR, which atm I only half-understand? It doesn't matter how much I fiddle with the settings, the note always sounds the same length.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Crank the decay up a little bit, and you should be fine.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

None of the ADSR settings seem to be making a difference to the sound of the note! Help, I've gone disastrously wrong.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Can you post the session? I can take a look at it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Here's a screencap I just took: Anything obviously wrong there? Is something turned off somewhere?

I'll post the session if that still doesn't help. (I don't know how to post sessions yet you see)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Here's a screencap I just took: Anything obviously wrong there? Is something turned off somewhere?

I'll post the session if that still doesn't help. (I don't know how to post sessions yet you see)

click the AMP tab and then crank the decay up.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

The filter. It needs to be a lowpass filter, and it needs to clamp down on the noise from the oscillator. That progressively gets rid of more and more of the higher frequencies, resulting in the reverse swooshing sound. Use the envelope for the filter to make it start high, and then go low. So you want no attack, a decay that matches how long you want it to be, and no sustain or release.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You guys are badrear end.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Make sure that you make the envelope modulate the filter, when I drop a new version of Analog into Live it doesn't automatically. It's under the "freq mod" control, you need to turn "env" up to 16. (This patch pictured here isn't perfect, half the sound is going to filter 2 from the oscillator, but you get the idea with the filter envelope.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 26, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yep, that filter envelope thing is new to me. That has given me exactly what I wanted. Brilliant!

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I'm happy that I helped you! Try putting a tiny reverb after it, it'll give it a better feeling of space. A short delay will work, too.

shchmue
Apr 22, 2010

Reality Is Digital posted:

:greatgift:
I had no idea that was how you got the Filter ADSR to actually apply itself. You are a purveyor of magical gifts deserving of the highest e-honor. Here goes:

:glomp:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Envision envelopes and LFOs as tiny robots; all they do is move a knob or slider for you - any knob or slider. With modular synths you get to choose what the robots do; with regular ones the robots are hardwired.

They only require a few instructions:

- when should they start moving (in the case of the envelope when you hit a key; in the case of an LFO either on key or free-running)
- what should they move
- what's the amount of the movement

In the case of a filter envelope, it won't do anything if the amount is zero (which is what the filter envelope knob does).

It won't be of any use if what you're trying to add to the amount is already on the maximum (envelopes only move sliders up, unless they're moving them up times minus one) - so if the cutoff is at its maximum already you're at the ceiling already.

Abstract this kind of thing and you'll be able to apply it to every synthesizer.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

My ceaseless quest for knowledge continues to... not cease. I want to apply a single effect to three tracks and control them with one volume slider. I assume I can do that by creating a new track and sending the audio from the three tracks to that one track... but when I do this, the new track doesn't give me any audio. What's the deal?

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Speaking of LFOs, it's almost hallowobblween. Pop the lambo doors in the graveyard and play dis poo poo alllll night.

Just kidding, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Popcorn posted:

My ceaseless quest for knowledge continues to... not cease. I want to apply a single effect to three tracks and control them with one volume slider. I assume I can do that by creating a new track and sending the audio from the three tracks to that one track... but when I do this, the new track doesn't give me any audio. What's the deal?

You're on the right track, but make sure the monitoring status of the new track is set to 'On' or 'Auto', and make sure the track is record armed (unless its monitoring is 'On').

An easier way to accomplish this, though, might be to just group the tracks and throw the effect on the group.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I'm trying to recreate a bass sound like Eskmo achieves here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddDWBpkzYg

Obviously there is some pitch bending going on, but whenever I try and pitch bend in ableton it barely goes above a half of an octave, is there any way to make the area I can pitch bend bigger or do I just need to find a sound to glide to the higher octave? Also, how do I get that really, really, smooth bass tone?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Popcorn posted:

Group track, kiddo.

Hold shift, select the three tracks you want, then right click and choose 'group tracks'. You can then put the effect you want on the group track, and the volume slider on that track will affect all within it, and all will be well with the universe.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

BittyWings posted:

Group track, kiddo.

Hold shift, select the three tracks you want, then right click and choose 'group tracks'. You can then put the effect you want on the group track, and the volume slider on that track will affect all within it, and all will be well with the universe.

I'm fairly sure group track is just a shortcut for what he was trying to do manually?

The other option obviously, is to use a send! Has the bonus of being able to set precisely how much of the signal from each track actually goes to the effect. Effectively a dry/wet knob for each input track, rather than just a global one.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

I r Pat posted:

I'm trying to recreate a bass sound like Eskmo achieves here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddDWBpkzYg

Obviously there is some pitch bending going on, but whenever I try and pitch bend in ableton it barely goes above a half of an octave, is there any way to make the area I can pitch bend bigger or do I just need to find a sound to glide to the higher octave? Also, how do I get that really, really, smooth bass tone?

That song is pretty trippy, so thanks.

I'm not very good at sound design, but rather than using a pitch bend use portamento. So get a monophonic bass synth patch which sounds right, and turn on portamento. You press one key, then press another key, and it slides to that note over the course of x ms - fiddle with the portamento setting until the x is about right.

Pizza Partisan
Sep 22, 2003
So I never got a response to my question last page, but here's some more info:

When I have my audio driver set to ASIO through my TASCAM US-1641, there's a 3 minute delay before any MIDI signals from either my MIDI controller or the virtual computer MIDI keyboard are processed. They instantly light up the yellow box at the top right when a key is pressed, but the signal is not recorded in the meter and a sound doesn't come through an instrument for 3 minutes.

If I switch my audio driver to MME/DirectX, I get instant response from MIDI devices.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this strange MIDI processing delay through ASIO? From my understanding, ASIO and MIDI are unrelated, aren't they?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

So I never got a response to my question last page, but here's some more info:

When I have my audio driver set to ASIO through my TASCAM US-1641, there's a 3 minute delay before any MIDI signals from either my MIDI controller or the virtual computer MIDI keyboard are processed. They instantly light up the yellow box at the top right when a key is pressed, but the signal is not recorded in the meter and a sound doesn't come through an instrument for 3 minutes.

If I switch my audio driver to MME/DirectX, I get instant response from MIDI devices.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this strange MIDI processing delay through ASIO? From my understanding, ASIO and MIDI are unrelated, aren't they?

Check for updated drivers for your Tascam, and make sure it actually supports your OS.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, Mister Speaker and BittyWings. :)

Next question. Is there a way to set delay to infinite feedback in Ableton? I used this technique in Cubase to make a single sample drone forever without having to retrigger it. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 28, 2010

Pizza Partisan
Sep 22, 2003

Vanmani posted:

Check for updated drivers for your Tascam, and make sure it actually supports your OS.

I'm running the latest x64 drivers from the site.

The thing is that the MIDI input works just fine in both Reaper and Cubase. This seems to only be a problem in Ableton.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Thanks, Mister Speaker and BittyWings. :)

Next question. Is there a way to set delay to infinite feedback in Ableton? I used this technique in Cubase to make a single sample drone forever without having to retrigger it. Is there a smarter way to do this?

Simpler has a "loop" button, try that :)

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Or use the looper? Beat repeat?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I can't get any of those methods to work yet, but that's because I clearly don't understand those tools... but, uh, to clarify a bit, I basically have a sample of me going "oooh". (It's not as gay as it sounds, honest.) If I just retrigger it then it goes "oo-oo-oo-oo-oo" and I don't want it to have those discrete stop-start clips. I want it to be one long smooth ethereal "oooooooooooooooooooooooh..."

In Cubase I'd achieve this with an infinite delay and heavy reverb. Delay still does the trick in Ableton, but it eventually runs out of juice and I have to retrigger the sample. Will the methods you guys mention give me the effect I so desire?

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I can't get any of those methods to work yet, but that's because I clearly don't understand those tools... but, uh, to clarify a bit, I basically have a sample of me going "oooh". (It's not as gay as it sounds, honest.) If I just retrigger it then it goes "oo-oo-oo-oo-oo" and I don't want it to have those discrete stop-start clips. I want it to be one long smooth ethereal "oooooooooooooooooooooooh..."

In Cubase I'd achieve this with an infinite delay and heavy reverb. Delay still does the trick in Ableton, but it eventually runs out of juice and I have to retrigger the sample. Will the methods you guys mention give me the effect I so desire?

Like another said, try using the Simpler instrument. Drop your sample in there, and loop the part you want to loop using the Start/Stop knobs and the "Loop" button

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

I'm running the latest x64 drivers from the site.

The thing is that the MIDI input works just fine in both Reaper and Cubase. This seems to only be a problem in Ableton.

Make sure you're running the latest version of Ableton. Do you have a similar problem with all audio inputs or just midi inputs through the Tascam?

Pizza Partisan
Sep 22, 2003

Vanmani posted:

Make sure you're running the latest version of Ableton. Do you have a similar problem with all audio inputs or just midi inputs through the Tascam?

Just MIDI, which works fine in both Reaper and Cubase. (Although Cubase has a stranger problem of recording empty 44byte WAV files every time I try to record a track)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

surrealcatalyst posted:

Just MIDI, which works fine in both Reaper and Cubase. (Although Cubase has a stranger problem of recording empty 44byte WAV files every time I try to record a track)

Check and double check your MIDI preferences in Ableton I guess. :iiam:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/livetech_0207.htm might help.

Absolute worst case you can buy a MIDI USB cable and use that for your MIDI inputs instead of the Tascam. They're $10.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Popcorn posted:

Sounds like a job for granular synthesis!

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Vanmani posted:

That song is pretty trippy, so thanks.

I'm not very good at sound design, but rather than using a pitch bend use portamento. So get a monophonic bass synth patch which sounds right, and turn on portamento. You press one key, then press another key, and it slides to that note over the course of x ms - fiddle with the portamento setting until the x is about right.

No problem! I saw eskmo live and he was mindblowing.

I'm a noob when it comes to making sounds.. thus I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good monophonic bass sound with portamento. I have massive & fm8.. can anyone point me in the right direction? I basically want a deep, clean, and smooth bass that glides at the rate I choose.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

I r Pat posted:

No problem! I saw eskmo live and he was mindblowing.

I'm a noob when it comes to making sounds.. thus I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good monophonic bass sound with portamento. I have massive & fm8.. can anyone point me in the right direction? I basically want a deep, clean, and smooth bass that glides at the rate I choose.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/748.html

Check it out. Good, freeware monosynth :)

But you should be able to do what you want in Massive. You got Legato turned on and voices set to mono?

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

Popcorn posted:

Check out the freeze function on the ping pong delay or reverb device, little F button - should be exactly what you're after.

bonus: then right click the delay device title bar, change to Repitch and start changing the beat divisions for some time warping hilarity..

bedtime for dogs fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 30, 2010

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

KryonikMessiah posted:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/748.html

Check it out. Good, freeware monosynth :)

But you should be able to do what you want in Massive. You got Legato turned on and voices set to mono?

Not for Mac :(

This is really bugging me. I have this bass line in one of my tracks that keeps producing a popping noise at random. It was a preset with operator and I've tweaked it every which way and the popping noise WILL NOT go away. Is something wrong with my set, the instrument, or my computer, or am I just overlooking something here?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Nindoze posted:

Check out the freeze function on the ping pong delay or reverb device, little F button - should be exactly what you're after.

holy poo poo i can't believe i've never tried this

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm trying to route the outs from a multi-out VST (AraldFX AXV5, a frequency splitter) to separate chains in an effect rack, but it seems impossible. Has anyone got an idea?

I've been able to route to separate audio tracks, but that's not what I want :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

I r Pat posted:

Not for Mac :(

This is really bugging me. I have this bass line in one of my tracks that keeps producing a popping noise at random. It was a preset with operator and I've tweaked it every which way and the popping noise WILL NOT go away. Is something wrong with my set, the instrument, or my computer, or am I just overlooking something here?

Fixed my problem.. and for anyone that was wondering, alls I had to do was put the buffer size up and it got rid of the pop.