Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Correction, people from the michelin plant came to gagetown to drive around in LAVs and see stuff. I hate garbled communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Elgar posted:

Correction, people from the michelin plant came to gagetown to drive around in LAVs and see stuff. I hate garbled communication.

Are they qualified??!?!?!???

Edit: ?!?!???

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2017

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Are they qualified??!?!?!???

Edit: ?!?!???

No no, they were in the back, four of us crew commanded them, and we did a bit of offroading I almost got some of them in the back wet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

rotarybob posted:

Since my last post I grew a moustache and finished my Sig op QL3s. Eligible for Cpl in March, mo money mo problems

The sign of a proper sigop, the sigstache. It helps to maintain proper comm discipline.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

You clearly have never worked with armoured crewmen before. They're getting you fat and lazy to prepare you for your course. They have standards to uphold.

gently caress you buddy, it's to protect us from shrapnel, we cant move around the vehicles in flak-vests :)

Edit: Not fat, but also leaving the armored corps.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 21, 2010

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mr.48 posted:

gently caress you buddy, it's to protect us from shrapnel, we cant move around the vehicles in flak-vests :)

Edit: Not fat, but also leaving the armored corps.

It's also much safer if you're wedged tightly into your seat when the vehicle rolls over. You won't be bouncing around like those skinny infantry types.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Samu posted:

Haven't really started yet, just got in on friday and been just going out all weekend. I'll be able to answer that in a couple weeks I guess.

I just spent a few days sailing with some guys from your BMQ course. At least I'm guessing I did, if I mentioned an insane Polish guy and an unbelievably quiet kid would you know who I meant?

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
Most poorly-worded headline I've seen in a while now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11591214

:psyduck:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Drama Llama posted:

Most poorly-worded headline I've seen in a while now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11591214

:psyduck:

Huh, you guys have a specialty code for "sex murder pilot?" I bet they get a lot of applicants

Employee 2-4601
Aug 31, 2001

Slippery posted:

Huh, you guys have a specialty code for "sex murder pilot?" I bet they get a lot of applicants

Yeah, it's for CF-69 drivers. Course they go down a lot...

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Slippery posted:

He tied one of his victims to a pole with a pair of CF issue thermal underwear.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Nofeed posted:

He tied one of his victims to a pole with a pair of CF issue thermal underwear.

The nice new ones or the old waffle poo poo? This is important.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Slippery posted:

It's actually a lot broader than that - we don't have the funds to specialize as much, so the category just allows anyone to train up on any of those three disciplines. Sure, they're not as good at any one particular thing - some are better at flying, some are better at the sexing, but we make do with what we have.

Just don't ask what the broad categorization for infantry officer is. :ssh:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I just realized, Canada can now recruit one more pilot, so next year they can recruit 3 pilots!

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

The Amputee House posted:

I just spent a few days sailing with some guys from your BMQ course. At least I'm guessing I did, if I mentioned an insane Polish guy and an unbelievably quiet kid would you know who I meant?

I bunked next to that polish guy my whole course. He's absolutely batshit insane and everybody hated him. He picks and eats his scabs and constantly blades other people. He can't deal with stress and has horrible personal hygiene. I hope he never makes it into the navy as an NCI Op because he'll get people killed if he's in a situation where people's lives are at stake. Watch out for him, he's really the biggest pump to come out of my course.

I wouldn't know who the quiet guy is. The Newfie who came out there from my course is a great guy though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Samu posted:

If you're considering joining and have questions about the new BMQ course, I'd be happy to share my very small amount of military knowledge.

Before going off for training, were you in a relationship? My girlfriend gets really freaked out anytime my desire to enlist comes up, and I'm just curious to how that works out; being away at BMQ and not really getting to see anyone you're with makes sense, but what about that time spent sitting around after, waiting for courses? (If you don't personally know, anyone else is welcome to jump in.)

e: for clarity, I mean living conditions; while waiting around, are you forced to live on base, or can you live off base with your partner? Or can you live on base with your partner? I'm unclear how accommodations work.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

e: for clarity, I mean living conditions; while waiting around, are you forced to live on base, or can you live off base with your partner? Or can you live on base with your partner? I'm unclear how accommodations work.

If you are married or common law, you would more than likely be allowed to live off base while waiting for or on course. There are probably caveats and stipulations unique to the particular course you are to go on, though. You are, after all, posted to the training establishment so I don't know why dependents wouldn't be allowed. That said, if your PAT and training time is short (<6 mos) it would be more hassle than its worth.

If by living "on base" you mean military family housing, yeah that's a possibility.

All that said I would plan on living single until you are QL3 qualified - it's just easier. Less paperwork and drama, stuff you really don't want or need at the start of your career/enlistment.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

compressioncut posted:

If by living "on base" you mean military family housing, yeah that's a possibility.

All that said I would plan on living single until you are QL3 qualified - it's just easier. Less paperwork and drama, stuff you really don't want or need at the start of your career/enlistment.

Yeah, family housing was what I was thinking of. My parents lived at Griesbach Barracks when I was a baby, but I wasn't sure if that kind of thing existed anymore; Griesbach is a redeveloped suburban neighbourhood now, I think.

Does all that time spent on training courses at the start count towards your enlistment contract, or do your four years begin once you step foot on your first actual posting?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, family housing was what I was thinking of. My parents lived at Griesbach Barracks when I was a baby, but I wasn't sure if that kind of thing existed anymore; Griesbach is a redeveloped suburban neighbourhood now, I think.

Does all that time spent on training courses at the start count towards your enlistment contract, or do your four years begin once you step foot on your first actual posting?

Yes, time on course counts towards you're contract. When you sign your contract it will end on the same day you signed it, just however many years your contract stipulates. As for housing you have to be in the shacks for basic and your other courses. But after that you can get base housing which is roughly 500 bucks a month for rent. Dirt cheap.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

As for housing you have to be in the shacks for basic and your other courses. But after that you can get base housing which is roughly 500 bucks a month for rent. Dirt cheap.

This is not necessarily correct. Basic, definitely, and if you are legally single you will also be in shacks for trade training. But if you are married (full on or common law) you can live off-base or in PMQs. That's in the Navy, the Army is no doubt different.

That said my previous advice stands, be single through training. It's easier. For example, do you want to bring your significant other to Victoria, BC for say eight or ten months, where she starts to build a life that she might like? Then get posted to Halifax on conclusion of your training?

I almost got run over by just such a woman at the conclusion of my QL3, after she found out her husband was posted to Halifax. I was one of two guys on my course who got Victoria.

PMQs out here run around $1000/mo depending. But post living differential (housing allowance) is also over $800/mo so whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

This is not necessarily correct. Basic, definitely, and if you are legally single you will also be in shacks for trade training. But if you are married (full on or common law) you can live off-base or in PMQs. That's in the Navy, the Army is no doubt different.

That said my previous advice stands, be single through training. It's easier. For example, do you want to bring your significant other to Victoria, BC for say eight or ten months, where she starts to build a life that she might like? Then get posted to Halifax on conclusion of your training?

I almost got run over by just such a woman at the conclusion of my QL3, after she found out her husband was posted to Halifax. I was one of two guys on my course who got Victoria.

PMQs out here run around $1000/mo depending. But post living differential (housing allowance) is also over $800/mo so whatever.

What's wrong with Halifax?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

Yea, I forgot that pmqs differ depending on your location. However in the army you can still get a pmq while you're in your SQ or DP1 for your wife, but you can't live in it during the week. On the weekends if you're not CB'd you're fine.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Thank Christ I joined the Navy.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
So how difficult is basic, anyway? I know it's supposed to be tough, but have things gotten tougher in the past few years? One person who I know through the social circle apparently is giving up and looking into the local police because he can't pass it.

As for me, I have a muscle condition where they just don't grow at the same strength/speed compared to "normal" so I'm always physically weaker than just about everybody else as a result.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

So how difficult is basic, anyway? I know it's supposed to be tough, but have things gotten tougher in the past few years? One person who I know through the social circle apparently is giving up and looking into the local police because he can't pass it.

Ahahahahaha! Seriously? The only people who can't pass basic are whiny shitbag mamas-boys (and girls). For anyone in something approaching good physical condition and with a little bit of perseverance basic is a joke.

If you are really worried about physical load, just be sure to start conditioning your body ahead of time. Running and cardio would be the most important things. Don't worry about building lots of muscle as most of the physically demanding things you will have to do will be more about endurance than power.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

The nice new ones or the old waffle poo poo? This is important.

Nice new ones!

Agent Escalus posted:

My BMQ had about a 50% dropout rate. Most people dropping out because it was "hurting their grades" or they were "losing money going coming here." It was one of those lovely weekend courses which last forever and destroy your social life.

That being said Basic is not terribly difficult, mind drives the body and all that.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Nofeed posted:

Nice new ones!

Oh well thats a relief. Imagine the indignity of being tied up with the waffles on top of the rape and murder.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

Nothing especially but the majority of QL3 training is done in Victoria, so that's where most sailors initially go.

edit:

Ruse posted:

Thank Christ I joined the Navy.

I'll take "Things I never hear" for $500...

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 26, 2010

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

compressioncut posted:

I'll take "Things I never hear" for $500...

Really? Because I hear that from all the Army guys who re-mustered. Unless they went Air Force, of course.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
So i have been abstained from IODP 1.2 so I will hopefully heading over to 2RCR for a bit. Also i hope I can finally get my foot taken care of. Wooh.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

tuyop posted:

Well it's a paradise compared to places like Gagetown or Shilo, but it loving sucks compared to Victoria. Unless you are big into the "East Coast Lifestyle", which near as I can tell involves drinking yourself into an early grave and loving lots of chubby chicks until you knock one up and have to marry her.

On the plus side you can afford a house on this coast, but they tax you to death for the privilege.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lt. Jebus posted:

Well it's a paradise compared to places like Gagetown or Shilo, but it loving sucks compared to Victoria. Unless you are big into the "East Coast Lifestyle", which near as I can tell involves drinking yourself into an early grave and loving lots of chubby chicks until you knock one up and have to marry her.

I just moved to the east coast and its exactly how you describe it. You only left out the part's where everyone's on EI and sells drugs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

I just moved to the east coast and its exactly how you describe it. You only left out the part's where everyone's on EI and sells drugs.

So Trailer Park Boys is actually a documentary?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Sadly, yes.

fake edit: They are heroes in this part of the country.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, that show is filmed like five minutes away from my high school. The East Coast lifestyle is pretty much how you guys described it. :smith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Funny, I've got family on the east coast (Annapolis Valley) and they never really seemed the trashy type.

On a further note, my transfer to sup reserves still isn't complete. 2 years and counting.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

Funny, I've got family on the east coast (Annapolis Valley) and they never really seemed the trashy type.

Yeah, like anywhere else there are some genuinely nice, educated, non-trash types around here, I'm just referring to the common stereotype.

Also I'm also very biased against this coast since this has been one of the worst years of my life (personally anyway, I had a great year professionally) so take my bitching with a grain of salt.

Except the super high taxes (Sales, Provincial Income and Property), that poo poo is a fact and its no wonder everyone here is so poor.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Lt. Jebus posted:

Except the super high taxes (Sales, Provincial Income and Property), that poo poo is a fact and its no wonder everyone here is so poor.

Which province are you talking about, again? I was born and raised in Vancouver, but frankly it seems that, just like in the states, any decent place to live in the nation comes saddled with shitloads of local taxes. (I spent 5 years in Calgary and they bitch just as loudly over there too...albeit over the city's tax. Edmontonians probably do the same.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Agent Escalus posted:

Which province are you talking about, again? I was born and raised in Vancouver, but frankly it seems that, just like in the states, any decent place to live in the nation comes saddled with shitloads of local taxes. (I spent 5 years in Calgary and they bitch just as loudly over there too...albeit over the city's tax. Edmontonians probably do the same.)

Nova Scotia. I don't know what your municipal property taxes are like in the GVRD, but Income and sales taxes here are much higher than BC. Income taxes alone accounted for a several thousand dollar a year "pay cut" when I moved from BC to here. I can only compare property taxes to Victoria, where I lived, but they are about 20-30% higher here for the same property value with no increase in services.

Sales tax is now at 15%, tied with PEI for highest in the nation.

I don't know why the Calgarians are bitching, unlike the progressive tax rates everywhere else, Alberta has a 5% flat income tax that greatly benefits anyone middle class and up.

e: I'm not bitching about Taxes in general, since I know they are important and the federal ones pay my salary, just slightly bewildered about how high they are over here, (and really the Atlantic provinces in general, Newfoundland is higher than here and only Quebec is higher than them - but you get a ton more for your taxes in Quebec) for provinces that are traditionally "Have-Not".

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 30, 2010