Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Do not become a lawyer.

You. You there. Do not go to law school. Stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bud Manstrong posted:

Do not become a lawyer.

poo poo, i already became one, what do I do?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

nm posted:

Go to Barrow, Alaska, and become a public defender/vampire slayer

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Roger_Mudd posted:

Got my first client. :toot:

Yay temporary bar card.

Awesome. You have now found someone who will expect you to be on call 24 hours per day to rescue him or her from awful life choices. Someone who wants to fill you in, in painful and exacting detail, why his or her circumstances are *SO UNFAIR*, but under no circumstances wants to pay you for the time listening. Someone who will not pay your bills, but expect prompt and courteous service. And someone who will sue you at the drop of a hat, for slights real or imagined, when the representation is over. Enjoy!

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

you tell me :smith:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

TyChan posted:

How many of those people are those with Ph.Ds in the arts who deliberately took a menial day job to give themselves the time to pursue other ventures outside of work?

When I worked in casual fine dining, almost every single co-worker was a college grad, some with grad school degrees/work as well. All were there by choice and enjoyed the freedom working in a restaurant gave them.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Anyone have any experience in the recent foreclosure defense craze? Are all law firms that claim they are successful in loan modification full of it? I may have a good in at a commercial litigation/foreclosure defense/loan modification firm but I'd rather know up front if this only involves scamming poor people out of money for impossible loan modifications.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

blar posted:

Anyone have any experience in the recent foreclosure defense craze? Are all law firms that claim they are successful in loan modification full of it? I may have a good in at a commercial litigation/foreclosure defense/loan modification firm but I'd rather know up front if this only involves scamming poor people out of money for impossible loan modifications.

Even if they get it, 50%+ of mortgages that have been modified are back in collections within a year. It sucks.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blar posted:

Loan modification is accepting thousands of dollars from poor people to ask their bank if they'd consider taking less money, and the banks are less receptive to the lawyer than the actual lender.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I like La Victoria Taco Sauce.

Deal with it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

blar posted:

I would probably be that guy who wears the hood and pulls the lever to hang people at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blar posted:

More detailed answer: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/221604/mortgage-firm-workers-could-be-on-hook

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Make sure to check the comments for some hilarious defenses from Dan Dargon, Esq.!

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Adar posted:

Make sure to check the comments for some hilarious defenses from Dan Dargon, Esq.!

Guys, I think The Dragon is being set up!

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Do not become a lawyer.

Want to know the percentage of my law school friends who graduated with me who agree with this? About 80%. It's actually pretty funny. Some have already quit their "amazing" big firm jobs.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Oh no, they are after The Beard:

evilweasel posted:

Don Lader, a Gorham attorney who runs Lader Legal Services and has taken on about 80 of Dargon's former clients, also said yesterday that he did not want to comment. The banking department alleges he committed 38 unlicensed loan originations and was an unlicensed branch manager and unlicensed mortgage broker.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bud Manstrong posted:

you tell me :smith:
Pay $1000 and join another bar! That is sure to double our chances!
(Admitted in 2 states)

Also, I applied to the alaska PD. Never heard anything. I blame sarah palin.

Adar posted:

You insult him all you want, he actually has a job.
Goddammit.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 25, 2010

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: 108 Unlicensed Loan Modifications But I'd Work For Him

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
So I'm digging through the forms on my computer left by the previous assistant. Ever hear of a "please agreement"?

No wonder she was fired.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

So I'm digging through the forms on my computer left by the previous assistant. Ever hear of a "please agreement"?

No wonder she was fired.

Yes
It is either an agreement to perform certain sexual favors or one that provides one party with tacos.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

blar posted:

There is no such thing as foreclosure defense, nobody who is going through foreclosure can pay a lawyer to argue that there was fraud, if there is no fraud then the house is taken 100% of the time.

Attorneys doing loan modification is always a scam, there are HUD certified counselors in almost every state that can actually help (sometimes but not usually because banks are terrible), and they are free. It's not like attorneys have some special expertise in filling out HAMP applications or calling banks to be told "we're reviewing the paperwork" and getting hung up on that's worth paying for.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 26, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

nm posted:

Pay $1000 and join another bar! That is sure to double our chances!
(Admitted in 2 states)

Also, I applied to the alaska PD. Never heard anything. I blame sarah palin.

You insult him all you want, he actually has a job.
Goddammit.

About to do that. Moving to Colorado in January. I'm admitted in Florida, and we have reciprocity with no one because we get all shakey-fist at New York sending its oldsters down here and taking our jerbs :bahgawd:. I was hoping to get a cushy research/gubmint job and not have to take another bar, or at least find something in a practice area that doesn't make me weep blood from my ears, but that ain't happening. No jobs.

Honestly I should just be a park ranger. I'd probably be much happier.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Where in CO are you moving?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solomon Grundy posted:

Awesome. You have now found someone who will expect you to be on call 24 hours per day to rescue him or her from awful life choices. Someone who wants to fill you in, in painful and exacting detail, why his or her circumstances are *SO UNFAIR*, but under no circumstances wants to pay you for the time listening. Someone who will not pay your bills, but expect prompt and courteous service. And someone who will sue you at the drop of a hat, for slights real or imagined, when the representation is over. Enjoy!

Not this one, this client cares about me as a person.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

Not this one, this client cares about me as a person.

your mum doesn't count as a client

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Honestly I should just be a park ranger. I'd probably be much happier.
[Tell} Me more

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Save me jeebus posted:

Where in CO are you moving?

Boulder. Been looking in Boulder (ha) and Denver.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

diospadre posted:

There is no such thing as foreclosure defense, nobody who is going through foreclosure can pay a lawyer to argue that there was fraud, if there is no fraud then the house is taken 100% of the time.

Attorneys doing loan modification is always a scam, there are HUD certified counselors in almost every state that can actually help (sometimes but not usually because banks are terrible), and they are free. It's not like attorneys have some special expertise in filling out HAMP applications or calling banks to be told "we're reviewing the paperwork" and getting hung up on that's worth paying for.

The exception is lawyers who do foreclosure defense for Legal Aid. They focus on delaying the foreclosure long enough for the homeowner to find someplace new to live.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Should US courts be allowed to consider intergalactic law when deciding domestic cases?
Star Trek cited by Texas Supreme Court

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Defenestration posted:

Should US courts be allowed to consider intergalactic law when deciding domestic cases?
Star Trek cited by Texas Supreme Court

A TX Supreme Court clerkship sounds like something you'd have to be a pretty hardcore gunner to get, I'm surprised one of them has a sense of humor. Then again, I remember someone citing Wikipedia in a Federal District Court opinion on an issue of fact, and they didn't even use the 'Permanent link' feature, instead just citing the live page.

Edit: The case citing Wikipedia is at https://www.ailf.org/lac/chdocs/Buck-Order.pdf with the Wikipedia cite on page 2. I found the case itself while looking up something on immigration, it's pretty much the court saying "No, redneck county employee in Bumfuck, PA, you can't deny someone a marriage license just because they can't prove their immigration status."

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 26, 2010

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Konstantin posted:

A TX Supreme Court clerkship sounds like something you'd have to be a pretty hardcore gunner to get, I'm surprised one of them has a sense of humor. Then again, I remember someone citing Wikipedia in a Federal District Court opinion on an issue of fact, and they didn't even use the 'Permanent link' feature, instead just citing the live page.

This is amazing. Have a link?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

See STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (Paramount Pictures 1982). The film references several works of classic literature, none more prominently than A Tale of Two Cities. Spock gives Admiral Kirk an antique copy as a birthday present, and the film itself is bookended with the book’s opening and closing passages. Most memorable, of course, is Spock’s famous line from his moment of sacrifice: “Don’t grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh . . .” to which Kirk replies, “the needs of the few.”

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
I have a friend who is doing her sociology dissertation on law school and the legal profession and she's hoping to speak to several more law students for a 30-45 minute phone interview. Please contact me...

Sociology Student posted:

Want to talk about law school and legal careers? I would love to hear your thoughts! I am conducting a study on legal careers, with particular focus on gender and diversity issues in the profession. I am looking to speak with law students like you about your experiences, aspirations, and perceptions about the profession. Interviews (~30-45 minutes) can be done over the phone, and all information is confidential and anonymous. As a token of appreciation, you will be entered into a raffle for one of five $100.00 Amazon.com gift cards. This study is approved by the Stanford University Institutional Review Board and funded by the National Science Foundation.

Edit: She has enough people now. Thanks!

Grammar Fascist fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 29, 2010

Pirate Squirrel
Nov 16, 2006

This Fucking Show!

Konstantin posted:

A TX Supreme Court clerkship sounds like something you'd have to be a pretty hardcore gunner to get, I'm surprised one of them has a sense of humor.

I think it's the Justice who adds it. He cited to Pink Panther (on YouTube) in another decision: FKM P'ship, Ltd. v. Bd. of Regents of Univ. of Houston Sys., 255 S.W.3d 619, 639 n.7 (Tex. 2008) (Willett, J., concurring in part and dissenting in part)

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Grammar Fascist posted:

I have a friend who is doing her sociology dissertation on law school and the legal profession and she's hoping to speak to several more law students for a 30-45 minute phone interview. If you're interested in participating, please e-mail me (grammarfascist@gmail.com) and I'll give you her contact info.

Won't sampling from this population severely skew her research?

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

_areaman posted:

Won't sampling from this population severely skew her research?

Shhhhh!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Boulder. Been looking in Boulder (ha) and Denver.

Aww I'm jealous. Good luck on your new endeavor! :)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Direwolf posted:

Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

No, this is the correct option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Direwolf posted:

That was my first reaction when I started law school, but then I had an internship that only had Lexis available and I decided I actually liked it better than westlaw.

I do not remember why

I wish one of them were free