Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I came to this thread as per suggestion from the new to motorcycling thread. The issue came up that I have a 35 inch inseam and someone suggested a dualsport for a tall motherfucker like me.

Then I read the first few pages of this thread and this just looks like retarded amounts of fun :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anddd some of them may be zippy but you won't be going 120 mph down the local roads. Don't get me wrong. You'll still be a jackass on a bike because it makes you feel like a kid. The riding position is very easy to get used to. If there's any getting used to it to be had. I remember even when I went from my Ninja to my Gixxer the riding position of humping the tank was extremely awkward. If I hadn't already had experience on a bike I would have dropped it for sure.

I'd say it's the perfect 1st bike, to be honest.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

They don't take any damage from drops really either.

What? You're completely wrong. My DR broke a turn signal from a 50 mph lowside. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Only scrubs run turn signals on supermotos :colbert:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Only scrubs run turn signals on supermotos :colbert:

I don't know about how things are in lawless california but I always use my signals before hopping a curb and bombing down a set of stairs.

Bunch of savages on the west coast :rolleyes:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
My dirtbike didn't come with turn signals

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I actually just dropped my DRZ for the first time getting on it, swinging my right leg over my foot got caught on the cargo rack :downs: and me and the bike toppled over to the right.

It did absolutely nothing other than scrape up my handguard a teeny bit :v:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I sold my Triumph last week so for the first time my motard is my only bike....I don't really miss it. Motards Rule.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Time it takes a group of six sumos to get pulled over by a cop for "doing an exhorbitantly fast speed in a 25mph road and multiple wheelies": five minutes. (There's one more motard stuck in front of the cruiser)

I joined a group ride for Connecticut motards on SMJ and it was lol-tastic. None of got in trouble either, but words cannot describe the debauchery that six motards get up to on backroads. And not so back roads. The cop was in a pretty good hiding spot, right after a crest on a twisty 25mph road, so he got all of us lofting it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329756

08 690smc for 4500$.

High mileage but goddamn

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is flat out ridiculous

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buy a spare.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh that guy's been advertising it on SVR for months now.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Everyone that doesn't own an SMC that doesn't buy that is stupid. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I can sell my VFR fast enough also it is on the wrong side of the country. :(

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
i want to buy that SMC, put it in a crate and ship it to Australia... but then i can't ride it. Maybe i can put a DRZ400 compliance plate on it... lol?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Yautja posted:

i want to buy that SMC, put it in a crate and ship it to Australia... but then i can't ride it. Maybe i can put a DRZ400 compliance plate on it... lol?

That might not be a bad idea. With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment that bike is about half the price of an equivalent 690SMC in Australia.

Also if you are looking for LAMS supermotos the 625 and maybe the 640 are LAMS approved (as are the Aprilia SXV if you are crazy and the DRZ if you are not).

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Putting new tires on the DRZ 400 this winter. Anyone have experience with Avon Distanzias? Theoretically they are exactly what I want and I have seen some good feedback elsewhere. Any thoughts on it or any other tire for a 75% on road, 25% light off road/gravel tire?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My 625 SMC had Pirelli Scorpion Syncs which looked to have a fairly dual-sportish tread on them. They were old as hell though so I can't comment on their performance. Reviews online seemed to be positive.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ohwandernearer posted:

Putting new tires on the DRZ 400 this winter. Anyone have experience with Avon Distanzias? Theoretically they are exactly what I want and I have seen some good feedback elsewhere. Any thoughts on it or any other tire for a 75% on road, 25% light off road/gravel tire?

Avon's Distanzia is an awesome winter sumo tyre. The generally favoured combo is a Distanzia rear with their Pro eXtreme Rain on the front.

The PXR is super soft but on the front of a sumo it will last for a good long while and it makes the bike very sure-footed in the wet. The Distanzia is tough enough to survive as a rear on my SMC while still providing decent hold in the wet.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

upsidedown posted:

That might not be a bad idea. With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment that bike is about half the price of an equivalent 690SMC in Australia.

Also if you are looking for LAMS supermotos the 625 and maybe the 640 are LAMS approved (as are the Aprilia SXV if you are crazy and the DRZ if you are not).

You can't really plate overseas bikes I don't think if they where sold here or vintage. Recent Huskys are LAMS awell and probably the best bet if you don't want a 625/640.

I bought a DRZ because it was like 9k new vs 16k and 17k new.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dubs posted:

You can't really plate overseas bikes I don't think if they where sold here or vintage. Recent Huskys are LAMS awell and probably the best bet if you don't want a 625/640.

Pretty much every sumo is LAMS legal. It's hilarious seeing SVX550s with an L-plate dangling off the back.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Well when they crash it in a week, it was due for an engine rebuild anyway. right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, someone who's spent time on both, can you compare and contrast the KTM 625 with the DRZ-400? In my ongoing quest for another supermoto, I pretty much have it narrowed down to those two (price-wise mainly).

Of course everyone in the DRZ camp loves theirs (as a former DRZ-400 SM owner, I'm pretty firmly in that camp as well), and everyone in the KTM camp loves the KTM.

Who can clear this up a bit for me?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I can't speak for the drz but I LOVED my friends 625 SMC. I have a 690 SM and I almost prefer his. It was a lot more wheely happy, looked better, seemed more off-road orientated, lighter, more backfire, much rough idle. I guess it just felt more "rugged," in a good way. There's so many mods for both the bikes too and I'm sure any used bike you have will have most of them.

I think DRZs are cool but overpriced.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ's are amazing bikes in their own right, I loved the poo poo out of mine, but you're right, the used market prices are high.

The KTM 625 is in the same price range, but I'm not sold on it yet. My old roommate had one, and it was not the pinnacle of reliability or build quality that my DRZ was. It rattled parts off constantly, had a seemingly unsolvable hot start problem, and the exhaust looked like poo poo because carbon constantly blew out of all the rivet holes.

That being said it did have some nice parts (brakes/suspension/etc), and it was quick. Everyone raves about the LC4, and I never "got it" with my roommates bike, but I'm willing to take a second look.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm sure you know the basics of the differences between them. I've ridden both, but I own a 625. For the brakes, suspension, and power advantage over a DRZ I'm glad I got the 625. It cost me about $1,500 more than if I went with a stock or near-stock DRZ.

According to what I've researched, the 625 is reliable and has the same basic maintenance interval as the DRZ, except the oil change is a bit of a pain. I've had no issues with mine but I've only owned it for about 2,000 miles so far.

For more qualitative comparison (keep in mind this is riding the DRZ in stock form):

-KTM is torquier and has more power across the band, a lot of satisfying kick
-DRZ is lighter
-KTM has better brake responsiveness
-DRZ is a hell of a lot smoother
-Yellow is a silly color for a bike, Suzuki

My 625 has not rattled anything off yet, but there is a bit of carbon that is on the exhaust, if that really matters. I felt that build quality is comparable, and component quality is certainly better on the KTM. I also kickstart my bike just because I can and it starts easily in temperatures ranging from 30 degrees to 80 degrees, with appropriate choke when it's cold. Never had to use the hot start lever yet.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 10, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, in my opinion it boils down to a couple things. If you want a proper super light sumo that is nimble and easy to toss around get a drz. If you want a decent amount of power and torque with a little extra weight get a KTM. My 07 690 is pretty drat heavy and is hardly a sumo but I still love the poo poo out of it.

I know next to nothing about sumos as a whole and have never ridden a DRZ. But if I could trade my 07 690 SM for a 625 SMC and collect the difference I would. Instead I'm just going to get a 08-09 690 SMC in 6 months to a year.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Right, I come from a streetbike background and wanted a maniacal supermoto that could go offroad if I wanted to but was mainly good at going fast on the street, and the 625 is great at that. I also plan on doing regular trackdays (no kart tracks around here) so that figured into why I got it. I hear the WR250X is better at racing than the DRZ is.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Christoff posted:

Yeah, in my opinion it boils down to a couple things. If you want a proper super light sumo that is nimble and easy to toss around get a drz. If you want a decent amount of power and torque with a little extra weight get a KTM. My 07 690 is pretty drat heavy and is hardly a sumo but I still love the poo poo out of it.

The 625 isn't that much heavier than a drz-sm. You're looking at ~25lbs difference which is a fair bit but not huge. You're also looking at an additional 15+HP stock for stock. The KTM is going to have much better suspension and brakes out of the box as well. The brakes aren't quite up to track duty however, I did a couple days with the stock setup (save for replacing the fluid with RBF600) and experienced teh worst pad fade I've had in my life. The stock rotor is not floating and really dumps a ton of heat into the pads/caliper/fluid. I upgraded to a EBC floating rotor and some Vesrah pads and have no complaints about the brakes. The oil change is odd but once you've done it a couple times it isn't bad. It does suck you have to buy two filters every time though, and should replace the cartridge filter gasket every couple changes.

I don't have any serious time on a DRZ-sm but I have ridden one. They are not very inspiring stock :-/. Fun? sure. But the KTM stomps all over it in basically every category. If you're not tracking it the stock KTM brakes are fine, there's nothing else you really need to do to it.

They're both hilariously fun and capable bikes. If you can find a 625 around for a good price by all means I would suggest that. If you can't, you're not going to go wrong wtih a DRZ if you don't mind modding a bit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is some pretty funny posting going on here.

Keep in mind when you are talking about weight that suzuki quotes weight without any fluids, batteries or tires, while KTM quotes weight with all fluids and tires and battery, usually with fuel (though sometimes without, so you can imagine a few pounds for fuel).

That ~25 isnt actually ~25 at all.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I know next to nothing about sumos as a whole and have never ridden a DRZ. But if I could trade my 07 690 SM for a 625 SMC and collect the difference I would. Instead I'm just going to get a 08-09 690 SMC in 6 months to a year.

The DRZ is not a "proper super light sumo" A 450 supermoto weighs in around 250lbs, the SXV is considered a (very powerful) porker at 280.

Any supermoto weighing over 300lbs is not light. Not to say that's such a bad thing in a street bike. I love my 690SMC, but at 308lbs (according to KTM), its a street bike, not a real supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

From here it's apparently 342 pounds wet for the KTM and 324 pounds wet for the DRZ:
http://motorcyclist.automotive.com/79378/122-0607-ktm-625-smc-suzuki-dr-z400sm-street-legal-supermoto-bikes/engine-transmission-chassis.html

18 pounds is hardly significant for street riding.

Now, I say all of this having never ridden the 625, only the LC4 Duke 2, and honestly, the #1 reason I wouldn't buy a 625 is because that loving LC4 vibes like a goddamn paint shaker. You can fix everything that's wrong with the DRZ but you just can't fix that poo poo. The DRZ and the 690 both have a counterbalancer, and if you expect to ride the bike any real distance, it makes things way nicer.

You can also mod the poo poo out of a DRZ. You can fix literally everything that's wrong with a DRZ, but you can't fix a non-counterbalanced engine. The KTM doesn't need modding except for that goddamn engine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That website also says the 625 makes peak power at 13,000 RPM which is 5,500 past its redline, which is pretty cool. Didn't now that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

That website also says the 625 makes peak power at 13,000 RPM which is 5,500 past its redline, which is pretty cool. Didn't now that.

You didn't now what?

Either way, the difference is pretty negligible. :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thats right, presently sure but I didn't before, now, that.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I'm getting fairly tempted to go for a supermoto when I get my full license, getting a sport bike and going warpspeed on the roads over here doesn't really interest me, specially when theres countless back roads and lanes perfect for a supermoto. It's the Isle of Man so riding long distances isn't an issue, except maybe the odd road trip (250 miles round trip at the most) back home.

My options over here seem to be rather limited to either DRZ400's, or any Husqvarna. KTM's (625/690's) only seem to popup on the used market every now and then, and the KTM dealer is mainly off road focused. Anything else I'd have to look in the UK and get it brought over.

We all know CA's thoughts on the DRZ but what does everyone think of the Husky 610's and the new 630's? They look to be a nice compromise between performance/maintenance, compared to something like the 450/510's that seem to drink oil.

We've got a husky dealer on the island so hopefully I'll get a chance to check them all out over winter.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Now, I say all of this having never ridden the 625, only the LC4 Duke 2, and honestly, the #1 reason I wouldn't buy a 625 is because that loving LC4 vibes like a goddamn paint shaker.

It vibrates but I don't see it as anything that negative. It's more noticeable at idle - at cruising speed it just plain doesn't bother me. Doesn't make me go numb (even after hours of highway), doesn't rattle bolts off, it's just not something I notice. Was my CBR smoother? Sure, but I never really cared. I guess it really is subjective to each individual.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Pinny posted:

We all know CA's thoughts on the DRZ but what does everyone think of the Husky 610's and the new 630's? They look to be a nice compromise between performance/maintenance, compared to something like the 450/510's that seem to drink oil.

The Husky 610 and 630 are much like the KTM 690, only not as good, but also a bit cheaper. I completely agree that they're the right compromise between maintenance and performance. I've ridden the 610 briefly, I thought it would make a great street supermoto, the suspension was a little soft but still better than the DRZ's. It's a bit down on power from the 690, which you'd expect given that it's also down on displacement. The throttle response was smooth, much better than the KTM in that area. Brakes are quality 4 piston Brembos, worlds apart from the DRZ. Six gears, another big advantage over the DRZ.

I've done a valve check on both a DRZ, and a Husky 450 which shares the cylinder head design with the 630. The DRZ is cam-on-bucket, meaning the camshafts must be removed to change the shims. The 630 uses rockers that can be moved out of position, allowing the shims to be changed without messing with the cam shafts. This saves a lot of grief and makes it a much quicker job.

The 630 gained about 20 lbs over the 610, but I expect that to be mostly in the exhaust.

(Don't ride the SM510, if you do you'll end up buying that instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
On a paralel topic :

I'm looking for a new front brake to put in my baby, 'cause that tiny single-piston-god-knows-who-made-it it calls a front caliper is just not enough...

My question is : What calipers you guys usually use on adapted sumos ? I bet that radial calipers won't fit on spoken wheels, so what should I go with ? non-radial 4 pots ? Stock dirt-bike 2 pistons ?

To be noted, i'm a cheapstake from a thirld world country, so i'm looking for something cheap i can get used on eBay, not one of those fancy 150USD supermoto kits. I have the experience to find a way to fit whatever comes my way in my YZ125 forks with stock serow wheels and oversize brake disc (god that's a mess), but i'm not sure exactly what i should be looking for.

• Locked thread