Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm facinated by user interface design, and would love some advice on how to explore the field further and possibly work toward rebooting my career.

I'm currently in middle management at a Midwestern nonprofit cultural institution, where I create and present multimedia science education programs. It's an emotionally rewarding job--it's grown to be a huge part of my identity; perhaps more than is healthy--but the hours are long, there's not much organizational support, and the pay is loving terrible (like just over 1/2 the state's average teacher salary). It's also a job that's prohibitably specific in nature; lately I've been losing a lot of sleep over how unmarketable I am.

I have over decade of experience doing what I do. I have a B.S. in Film/Video Production, an M.A. in Communication, and a good eye for design (benefitting from some design coursework and a boatload of content creation/evaluation experience). I'm very comfortable with basic software like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. (although I do spend more time w/ video), but all my programming experience is worthless proprietary garbage.

How can I learn more about the creation of beautiful and functional user interfaces? If I ended up liking it enough to take a career leap in a couple years, I assume I'd need a combination of more software/programming knowledge, more formal design knowledge, and a nice portfolio of projects I've worked on. Where should I start? Should I just bust out, say, some XHTML or CSS or AJAX tutorials and start absorbing?

Also is this a really silly idea?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey, I'm a UI designer!

The way things are going now the development is split from the design itself a lot of places but you should know a lot about one and you'll probably have to do both for a while. If you really want a job as a designer there's a lot to learn, not just the technology, patterns and best practices but how to sell it to business and dev stakeholders as worth doing and how to work with those teams to actually make it happen. Nobody teaches that part sadly and most current "Design Strategy" literature is developed to sell the agency the author owns [*cough*Cooper*ahem*] or is impossibly optimistic.

What you ultimately end up doing depends a lot on the organization you end up in. For example Facebook has all their UI designers prototype everything in HTML/Javascript. Agencies I've talked to have their designers ship wireframes off to visual design [I hate this] and other places you're responsible for interaction design and visual design. Some places still use Flash.

So I guess on the "what do I do now?" front I'd start learning as much about design as possible and do some personal projects to learn the technology and what parts of it you're good at. It's a hot field right now but there's also a lot of lovely jobs where the company culture doesn't really support design, the CEO just told them to "add usability".

The hours and stress probably won't be much better at your first few design gigs so prepare for that.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

qirex posted:

Hey, I'm a UI designer!

Cool, thanks a ton for the info and advice.

I'll definitely hit the design and programming books, and see if I can get a few instructive personal projects going.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Don't get too fixated on the coding part, once you get above entry level those things are generally done by separate folks. note that HTML and CSS don't really count as "coding" and you should know the poo poo out of both.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
So I've been back from my internship for about 1 month now and I don't know if it's just the industry or what, but I can't seem to get a job. I've had several interviews in the Phoenix area that went no-where, and those were even for junior level positions.

I honestly don't get it, and I can't really appeal to my peers, because any sort of negativity in the community is treated as "bitching".

My portfolio has a lot of print pieces in it, but I also have branding & web examples to show that I'm well-rounded and I have one of the best references in the industry, who helped me re-work my pieces.

My Aquent agent loves my work, I've received positive feedback from different CD's in the valley.

Should I show less? Should I show more? I'm even considering hiring the resume writing service that is really popular here on SA due to it's success rates, but I don't even know if that helps. In interviews, I always make the interviewer laugh, and I impress them with my knowledge of branding & design.

Sorry, and thanks for the vent.

http://www.randygregorydesign.com

Trainbearer
Nov 5, 2005

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I'm checking this against everything relevant I can remember from the portfolio conference I went to this spring as well as some personal observations about your portfolio design.

Start off by making sure that there are no typos or spelling errors on your website ("Conceputal, collage"). Get a writer buddy to check things over and make sure you're not splicing commas or splitting infinitives or overusing commas or things like that.
Keep it clear and simple. Take the 'tude out of your copyright notice. I'd like to see someone else weigh in about using third person on a personal website (it seems awkward but prevalent)
Avoid calling yourself a conceptual artist. I see what you're trying to get at but as a label it smacks of pretension even when I see it applied to people like Sagmeister.
Don't use a bold typeface for body copy.
CMYK is boring.
the sans serif you're using is generic and ugly, I can't say it justifies the typekit subscription.
The white on medium-light gray isn't working. It wrecks whatever legibility the bold type didn't. The single dark area pulls all of my attention to the typekit badge.
The auto-scrolling slideshow is annoying. It doesn't give me enough time to even read the copy on your Cutters ads.
Show your work in context wherever possible—show packaging on the rack, shirt graphics actually on the shirt, logos on business cards & signs, etc.
You only need 10-20 pieces in your portfolio; there are a few stinkers in there that you could afford to drop right off the bat and a few that could use a revisit.

Good luck!

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Thanks. The typekit is broke right now, it's just auto-ing over to helvetica, which I'm going to change to a thinner typeface.

Thanks for the quick look. After viewing the same site for a while, you tend to miss things, and it's nice having another set of eyes look at it and as for displaying the logos, I've been told to not put it on letterheads, shirts, racks, et cetera, that it's better to just show the logo.

What's the thought around here in regards to that?

Thanks again.

Edit: fixed most of the stuff you mentioned...the color is going to go away in favor of a brown weathered look, and typekit is all working again. Thanks again, so so much. Like I said, it's nice having another set of eyes look at the work.

TheKingPuuChuu fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 22, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
TheKingPuuChuu: You might want to get some of your work on the front page. It'll hook people in a lot quicker than just a bunch of type.

Could I get some feedback on my website as well? I'm working on getting some of my art on the front page. I'm not sure what to do for my next step. I'm trying to get into concept art or animation in video games and have been having a really hard time landing that first job in the industry.

I'm currently reworking my portfolio and just continuing to produce work, but is there any other stuff I should be working on?

Tips on getting freelance work?

Should I concentrate my work on a more specific genre or be more diverse?

http://www.levigilbert.com

Lavalamp
Nov 21, 2004
I'm just like God, cept better
I'm a designer in Seattle, and I'm having a hard time finding anything but sporadic freelance work. I make alright money at it, but networking sales by myself is stressful and inconsistent. I don't know anything about creative recruiters, other than some names and what they do in general. Are there any specific ones in Seattle I should check out? It seems like the general consensus is that they're worth it in the end, but I'm not sure of how to go about it. Are there any other good methods of getting gigs/getting hired, sans online job postings and directly contacting firms, and the aforementioned personal networking?

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Lavalamp posted:

I'm a designer in Seattle, and I'm having a hard time finding anything but sporadic freelance work. I make alright money at it, but networking sales by myself is stressful and inconsistent. I don't know anything about creative recruiters, other than some names and what they do in general. Are there any specific ones in Seattle I should check out? It seems like the general consensus is that they're worth it in the end, but I'm not sure of how to go about it. Are there any other good methods of getting gigs/getting hired, sans online job postings and directly contacting firms, and the aforementioned personal networking?

Check out Creative Circle. I watch them because I want to go to Seattle, but every posting is local for freelance. But that's because all I watch is Seattle on that.

http://www.creativecircle.com/

le capitan posted:

Could I get some feedback on my website as well? I'm working on getting some of my art on the front page. I'm not sure what to do for my next step. I'm trying to get into concept art or animation in video games and have been having a really hard time landing that first job in the industry.

http://www.levigilbert.com

The first thing I can say is that your site looks stock. You've got some great stuff, you should try to fold that into your web design.

Give it some depth, some emotion to it, let the viewer know you're creative, don't just tell them.

great work by the way, I love the light bulb bug thing. And your illustrations are great too.

TheKingPuuChuu fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 23, 2010

Lavalamp
Nov 21, 2004
I'm just like God, cept better

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Check out Creative Circle. I watch them because I want to go to Seattle, but every posting is local for freelance. But that's because all I watch is Seattle on that.

http://www.creativecircle.com/

Thanks, I came here from Phoenix after high school, what's it actually like designing in Phoenix, and making sales and connections with the "drive everywhere" situation?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

So I've been back from my internship for about 1 month now and I don't know if it's just the industry or what, but I can't seem to get a job. I've had several interviews in the Phoenix area that went no-where, and those were even for junior level positions.

I honestly don't get it, and I can't really appeal to my peers, because any sort of negativity in the community is treated as "bitching".

My portfolio has a lot of print pieces in it, but I also have branding & web examples to show that I'm well-rounded and I have one of the best references in the industry, who helped me re-work my pieces.

My Aquent agent loves my work, I've received positive feedback from different CD's in the valley.

Should I show less? Should I show more? I'm even considering hiring the resume writing service that is really popular here on SA due to it's success rates, but I don't even know if that helps. In interviews, I always make the interviewer laugh, and I impress them with my knowledge of branding & design.

Sorry, and thanks for the vent.

I remember you posting before. I have a mixed bag of feedback regarding your work.

But first, let's talk about Phoenix. The market in Phoenix for creative work has always sucked a cock. Now it's just amplified. A lady I know just graduated from RISD and currently works for PetSmart doing their bullshit design work. There is simply not enough big industry here to sustain a lot of creative work, and it's going to be like that for the next 5 years. If you're looking to work in design, Phoenix is not the place for you. On the other hand, Phoenix is a great place to be involved with artists, or as an artist. It's a completely different game, but there are a lot of opportunities if you have a lot of hustle, decent skills, and can think of interesting ways to create work and self-promote. This is what I've been up to the past year and a half, and so far it's been a very interesting journey. No way in hell I'm going into detail about what I do here but if I ever run across you I'll introduce myself.

If you're set on sticking in Phoenix I'd suggest two things, one is to start networking at things like Creative Connect or whatever the equivalent is for web design now. I used to go to one but thought it was fairly worthless so I stopped, but I know there's two or three active groups here. People there will in the least tell you the lay of the land. Creative connect can be alright. I am loosely affiliated with some of their movers and shakers... Job hunting here really, really sucks.

On to your website: in short, your print work is much stronger than your web work. It's obvious your fundamentals are strong but you need to axe the website and re-do it. Here are some of the things that really irritate me about it:

1. Having to dig for your work. Zero clicks to see examples of your work. [0] Zero. (The number you get when you subtract one from one.)
2. On my PC your website does not display properly in IE or Chrome. Because I frequently use design programs like Photoshop and Illustrator I use a large monitor with large fonts as the OS default and while every other designers site I look at looks fine, yours looks like a gigantic pile of text mashed together. What does that tell me?
3. I don't care about any of the words you have written. Your work should speak for itself. Stop talking. I'm serious: get rid of all the text. I can see that you're trying to be humorous here but it's not really funny to me. I know enough loving tongue-in-cheek hipsters. If I wanted to meet more I just need to find some lovely photography on display at First Fridays, it's like a magnet for dipshits.
4. About a half a dozen other things but I wont list them all.

My "big" suggestion is to give your website some serious reworking while you're unemployed and have time to put into it. My other suggestion is, if you're set on working in phoenix, to try to get a job at a medium sized firm doing anything, and "moving over" into whatever kind of creative roles they require. Because the economy sucks such a cock here, that's probably the best way to make a living in the short run. In the long run if you want to do real design work you should seriously consider leaving phoenix. Even the design jobs in medium sized firms are going to have you putting out really average, mundane poo poo. You wont be working with motivated people who are really going to push you to learn and bust your rear end. It's Phoenix - you can't expect a lot.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Beat. posted:

2. On my PC your website does not display properly in IE or Chrome. Because I frequently use design programs like Photoshop and Illustrator I use a large monitor with large fonts as the OS default and while every other designers site I look at looks fine, yours looks like a gigantic pile of text mashed together. What does that tell me?

Which IE are you using? I can't test for 6 ( using Windows 7), but it shows in both 7 and 8. Fonts are aliased though, which isn't pretty. Same in Chrome. But yes, I hate all of the large bodies of copy. When I squint, it just mashes together.

Beat. posted:

3. I don't care about any of the words you have written. Your work should speak for itself. Stop talking. I'm serious: get rid of all the text.

You and Debbie Millman say the same thing, but my Aquent agent, old professors & some CD's in the valley have said otherwise. I feel like doing that could shoot myself in the foot. But, gently caress it. I've got a new portfolio book that has no text in it, so I might as well.

My fears about that though come from other people saying things like "oh there's not enough web design in here" or "you should tell me why you did this." I don't want to have to explain the designs, but it just feels like I have to to try to get something in Phoenix, which you're absolutely right about.

And I'm on the networking thing. I've been a pretty active member of Phoenix Design Week and the AIGA, and everyone knows me. I stopped going to Creative Connect because it was just the same people every time, getting free drinks/food & complaining about the economy.

And I want to leave Phoenix, but the wife just got into a state job, which if she stays in it for a year, she can go do the same job anywhere in the country.

And as for meeting each other, come out to the next Say Anything, which is always at SW!TCH studio. There will be one coming up in November, I'd love to meet you, as you have always given me some great advice in the past, and you're not afraid to be brutal about it, which is refreshing when compared to the rest of the community because they're so drat nice about everything.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I just put up my new site at https://www.katielisk.com

Critiques? Broken links? Not working in your browser? Let me know!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

On 'About Me', get rid of the bit about your boyfriend (totally irrelevant and inappropriate) and maybe the bit about your cat and fish as well if you don't have anything more interesting or unusual to put there.

The 'news' page is probably not a great idea - it's rare that you're going to have something interesting to put there, and writing that you think your "purple and gold nouveau theme turned out very nicely" just sounds really amateurish. I'd get rid of that page completely unless you think you'll be able to put interesting news up regularly - and even if you can, pulling in a twitter feed or similar would be better.

Please please take the Livejournal link off there. Apart from the fact that that site is pretty synonymous with embarrassing teenage drama and not serious professionals, all your entries are pretty juvenile and irrelevant to your career. If it was a design/illustration blog, or had some insight into your professional opinions then great - but a typical LJ about your boyfriend and your WoW playing is just embarrassing, honestly.

I'd also take down the Deviant Art link. Again, the site has bad connotations, and if there's anything on there that's relevant to your career then it should be on your website already.

If you really must link to your boyfriend's site, fine, but don't say he's your boyfriend - again, it sounds unprofessional.

I'll let someone more qualified comment on the design and illustration - I'm a words bird.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2010

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think the design is very juvenile and something a 12 year old would do. The typeface for your name is ugly and is on par with the likes of papyrus and comic sans.

Your leading is way too tight in your about me section and italics should not be used for primary body copy. If you're going to keep the swirls and borders I would find a serif face and clean up the borders. It's just way to I drew this in crayon in 5 minutes.

You can change link colors super easy, so get rid of the blue e-mail link. You don't need purple around the download link to your resume because the icon is enough.

I just feel like I walked into a Renfair looking at the website.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got laid off about 6 months ago from doing environment art/level art for a game company and where I live (Raleigh, NC) the game job market isn't looking too hot so I'm looking to expand my search into non game jobs but still 3d. Does anyone have experience in trying to find a job doing 3d models for things like engineering firms or even lawyers? I still want to do 3d work, but it doesn't have to be in games (I can do games as a hobby in my off time if I have to). Any other ideas are welcome too! I have just about 4 years of experience in games/3d art (including being a lead) and I have a Bachelors degree if that helps. I know some places outside of the game industry might care a little bit more if you have a degree.

I have a contract job that'll last another couple weeks, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing after it. I'd really like to find something stable. I just need to be able to have stable work for 2 more years until my husband graduates from grad school.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think the design is very juvenile and something a 12 year old would do. The typeface for your name is ugly and is on par with the likes of papyrus and comic sans.

Your leading is way too tight in your about me section and italics should not be used for primary body copy. If you're going to keep the swirls and borders I would find a serif face and clean up the borders. It's just way to I drew this in crayon in 5 minutes.

You can change link colors super easy, so get rid of the blue e-mail link. You don't need purple around the download link to your resume because the icon is enough.

I just feel like I walked into a Renfair looking at the website.

You did point out some useful things such as the typeface and a miscolored link (Both of which I changed) but I will try to defend my design choice. I understand that you may not like the color purple or the nouveau swirls, but I don't think it's too terrible. I wanted to do something a bit different than the sleek/modern square look I see everywhere. Does the design itself not work, or do you simply not like that particular look?

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 26, 2010

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

You did point out some useful things such as the typeface and a miscolored link (Both of which I changed) but I will try to defend my design choice. I understand that you may not like the color purple or the nouveau swirls, but I don't think it's too terrible. I wanted to do something a bit different than the sleek/modern square look I see everywhere. Does the design itself not work, or do you simply not like that particular look?

I actually love nouveau and the color purple (my bedroom is covered in both). I just thought the execution could use some cleaning up. It feels heavy with the thick lines and I think more variety in the line work could help a lot. There's still geometry cleanliness, and organization in nouveau while still being natural.

We can disagree on this one though. :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a lot of conflict between how fancy the jacquard background is and how thick, blunt and dark the framing elements are. What you have could work but it would be tricky. I'd say you should make the pattern bigger and re-examine how you box out that area. Those big thick lines in Art Nouveau were always used to separate things not just as decorative elements.

Also I don't get a lot out of the butterfly it's not stylized enough for your theme.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

qirex posted:

There's a lot of conflict between how fancy the jacquard background is and how thick, blunt and dark the framing elements are. What you have could work but it would be tricky. I'd say you should make the pattern bigger and re-examine how you box out that area. Those big thick lines in Art Nouveau were always used to separate things not just as decorative elements.

Also I don't get a lot out of the butterfly it's not stylized enough for your theme.

I made some edits to the bg/boxes. Do these help?

Click here for the full 800x516 image.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I can't speak for cheese eats mouse, but the thing about the site design that bugs me is that it's supposed to be art nouveau, but it feels so... heavy and overbearing. When I think of art nouveau (and I adore the art nouveau style), I think of lightness, elegance, and fluidity, fair curves, and soft natural colors. Your design needs more of the above.

I think you could benefit greatly from lighting up the design and letting your work shine through more. All I see are tiny, tiny thumbnails that don't sufficiently preview the work or small paragraphs of text stuck inside this heavy frame of nouveau decorations. Also, I'd cut the fade in the image viewer thing. The image will fade out so that I can see the website in the background, and then snap to the next image. Maybe its just me, but it feels a bit jarring. Oh, and if you can, put the x button in a consistent place, because it changes location with each different sized image.

Lastly, I saw on your resume you wanted to work with Flash and that you knew Flash and Actionscript, but then I learn that your site is built on Wix, which I see is an easy Flash site builder thingy. It automatically makes me wonder if you are indeed capable of building stuff in Flash.

But hey, I think your illustration is pretty cool.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Yeah yeah website, kerning, actionscript, netscape... tell me more about this dinosaur comic book you seem to have here. :allears:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Slashie posted:

Yeah yeah website, kerning, actionscript, netscape... tell me more about this dinosaur comic book you seem to have here. :allears:

It's a little story I illustrated about the mystery surrounding the fossilized bodies of a Velociraptor and Protoceratops that were found locked in battle. Apparently a sand dune had collapsed over top of them as they were struggling and they were trapped like that for thousands of years. How romantic. :allears:

I also completely overhauled it, did away with the oppressive look and tried something lighter.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I like that I don't have to hunt to find your work, I'd say thats probably your strong point.

Links/news/about me section are all very 90s. I'd axe them all. If you're looking to tell people about your life and views I'd nix all that bullshit and add a blog. Really - we don't care. Otherwise I'd keep the portfolio and the contact info/resume section.

About the porfolio. Speaking generally, I fail to see any kind of cohesive focus, theme, message, or style. It's a hodgepodge of mostly fantasty stuff with some other random poo poo thrown in there. I think you should take a critical look at it and get rid of about 2/3 of it because it doesn't make you look strong. Some of it does, most of it doesn't. Cutting out a good portion of it will also help with the whole "short attention span of most audiences."

I see that you are interested in working in concept art. Unfortunately when I look at your figure based work, which is most of what you have, I think you should be investing more time on honing your drawing/rendering skills and less time copying Blizzard entertainment fan art. Look at the big names in concept art, how many of them have a background in figurative work? Quite a few. Take that to heart. When was the last time you spent 50 hours rendering one drawing? If you want to be in concept art, that's what I'm expecting to see: really mindblowing drawings/paintings that are putting new ideas or concepts in front of my eyes.

I see you want to work in flash in the future. Some links to examples of prior work, clients, projects, etc would be good.

Lastly I'll agree with other people on the whole art deco background but for a very different reason. A porfolio is to showcase your work. I think your port should showcase your work, not your personal preference for art deco or french wallpaper. Either ditch it or tone down the contrast 80% and show your audience (which is who again?) that you have some solid skills and can implement them tastefully rather than blasting us in the face with your opinion.

Basically, if you want a hobby / fun site, make it separately. Make a blog and post interesting poo poo in it. Stylize it with art deco and dress up like hello kitty so conceptart fags can paypal you donations or something. Keep the portfolio simple and if you want to heavily stylize it, realize that it's going to take a lot more work to do tastefully than what everyone else uses because it's simple.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've already made a bunch of changes and will continue to work on it. :)

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

It's a little story I illustrated about the mystery surrounding the fossilized bodies of a Velociraptor and Protoceratops that were found locked in battle. Apparently a sand dune had collapsed over top of them as they were struggling and they were trapped like that for thousands of years. How romantic. :allears:

I also completely overhauled it, did away with the oppressive look and tried something lighter.

That rules. I would love to see more if you have it, or just bigger versions of the linework. I know a... child... who would love to take some crayons to that badass raptor.

nef
Feb 21, 2005

Grrr grrrrrrr
Anyone have any experience with getting published, specifically in children's writing/illustration? Or finding an agent/art rep? :)

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

nef posted:

Anyone have any experience with getting published, specifically in children's writing/illustration? Or finding an agent/art rep? :)

I'm a published author. I can tell you right off the bat children's books are the most difficult area to get into, and that you shouldn't count on getting to illustrate your own books unless you are an absolutely exceptional talent with both words and pictures. We've had people come in here before all "I showed my work to some kids and they liked it" but that's not nearly good enough. There's also the factor of being able to write for specific reading levels, and understanding how pictures have to support the words.

If you want more advice I'd go to Romper Billson's publishing industry thread, but the short answer to getting an agent is to write something brilliant, polish it for months, research agents who deal with your kind of work, and send it out.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Slashie posted:

That rules. I would love to see more if you have it, or just bigger versions of the linework. I know a... child... who would love to take some crayons to that badass raptor.

I have a DeviantArt account (THE HORROR) with much larger file size. http://pokketmowse.deviantart.com/
It also originally had a fourth page showing how they were covered by a landslide and then cutting to the fossilized bodies on display today, but it got destroyed when I was moving out of an apartment. :(

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I have a DeviantArt account (THE HORROR) with much larger file size.

There really is a stigma about Deviantart, and separating it from your professional portfolio is solid advice. Think of it this way, would you want prospective clients who know nothing about the internet being conceivably one click away from finding pregnant furry Stargate fanart?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

pipes! posted:

There really is a stigma about Deviantart, and separating it from your professional portfolio is solid advice. Think of it this way, would you want prospective clients who know nothing about the internet being conceivably one click away from finding pregnant furry Stargate fanart?

I already took it off the links section and completely overhauled the site. It was good advice and I took it. DevArt was the only gallery I had for many years so I've probably become desensitized to most of the poo poo on there.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I already took it off the links section and completely overhauled the site. It was good advice and I took it. DevArt was the only gallery I had for many years so I've probably become desensitized to most of the poo poo on there.
Yo, I took a look at the updated site, and I'm really liking it. The simpler lines and lighter colors make it look really open and inviting.

The resume/contact link is really cramped, though.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I am applying to design school and have been given this prompt.

'In a world increasingly defined by social, economic and technological challenges, what role(s), do you envision a new generation of graphic designers embracing while shaping the natural and built environment we all share?'

I realize this might not be the right thread for this but I guess it is school advice.. Does anyone have any clue as to what they might be looking for in a response to this? It seems to me that they want an environmentally driven response so I have thought of things such as making connections between the natural and built environments, being environmentally conscious about things such as printing processes and print materials.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Romper Billson
Jul 14, 2005

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd

Squirrel007 posted:

I am applying to design school and have been given this prompt.

'In a world increasingly defined by social, economic and technological challenges, what role(s), do you envision a new generation of graphic designers embracing while shaping the natural and built environment we all share?'

I realize this might not be the right thread for this but I guess it is school advice.. Does anyone have any clue as to what they might be looking for in a response to this? It seems to me that they want an environmentally driven response so I have thought of things such as making connections between the natural and built environments, being environmentally conscious about things such as printing processes and print materials.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It's a badly-written question. What they're really asking is this:

"How do you think graphic designers can shape the natural and built environment? Mention some relevant social, economic, and/or technical issues that graphic designers might face."

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Took a relook and I'm digging it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

https://www.katielisk.com

It looks like you used a slightly lighter weight on "Resume & Contact" to make it fit. It was the first thing that caught my eye and it's a little distracting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm looking for a font. This font should look like handwriting, preferably felt tip style for consistent weight but also look good in small sizes at screen resolution. Bold and italic variants would be helpful as well. It doesn't have to be free.

I'm currently thinking about Tekton or another architectural face. I looked at comic book style ones but the good ones seem to be all caps which isn't suitable.

The current choice is Comic Sans so any ideas would be better.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

how can you beat comic sans tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Just a little something I'd like to nip in the bud: If you are looking for feedback on a portfolio website, it's better to post a thread about it - not only to get more focused attention, but also keep the discussion in this thread from getting too unnecessarily complicated.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Also, awesome to see follow through with this. I think the new visual styling is working much better.