Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Direwolf posted:

Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

No, Westlaw is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Direwolf posted:

Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

depends, in minnesota most firms only really have westlaw but thats because its headquartered here. i alternate semesters with them just in case

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Direwolf posted:

Everyone in my 1L class seems to prefer westlaw.

I realize this statement doesn't really help determine mental health.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
do they let you law students use westlaw next?

it kicks westlaw's rear end

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No :(

Also I can't believe anyone is debating the merits of westlaw v. lexis. Lexis is horrible, end of discussion.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Direwolf posted:

Feel free to have a preference, but know them both equally well because once you're in the real world, you may be stuck with one but not the other.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

That was my first reaction when I started law school, but then I had an internship that only had Lexis available and I decided I actually liked it better than westlaw.

This really is a question of maturity.

1Ls generally do fall in love with Westlaw, possibly because of its watery, weak-blue colour design. However, as students start to think like a lawyer, the superior qualities of Lexis become increasingly apparent. Ultimately, the red-colour design kindles a fire in the lawyer's soul that cannot be doused.

Westlaw is then reduced to a general access account on the law library PC, where it is only visited by the elderly and infirm

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I've heard the bloomberg one is actually much better than either. Never used it though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
lexis has some advantages if you're actually paying. Notably that Lexus doesn't completely lock you out of poo poo you aren't paying for. They make it hard to get (you can't search for it), but if you need a certain TX statute and you're in CA, you can get it.

West is much, much better in law school though because you can get everything and the interface is so much better.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We've got it but my Legal Practice professor doesn't want us using it on things for him, so I mostly use the original. Don't like Lexis as much but it does seem easier to get points on so far.

(Also hi, Mich 1L here, long time lurker but I apparently can't read since I still decided to come to law school.)

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

_areaman posted:

Won't sampling from this population severely skew her research?
I think the heart of her dissertation is data-based, but she's also just hoping to speak to a few people for illustrative examples. Thanks to the people who e-mailed!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Spider Chipmunk posted:

We've got it but my Legal Practice professor doesn't want us using it on things for him, so I mostly use the original. Don't like Lexis as much but it does seem easier to get points on so far.

(Also hi, Mich 1L here, long time lurker but I apparently can't read since I still decided to come to law school.)

kick susan guindi for me

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yes. God how I love Westlaw Next.

True Story: tonight my civ pro prof emailed us an extra 200 pages of reading for our 9 am, 3 hour session tomorrow. At midnight. Apparently some other sections just have a research assignment and a memo. Somehow we've had a motion/filing and accompanying memo every week.

And yet no matter what I do I will receive the same grade at the end of this semester.

Edit: Upon reflection, I have learned to think like a lawyer. It's just that thinking like a lawyer entails a constantly alternating barrage of "War...war never changes" and "BORN TO KILL" consuming all other rational thought.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 27, 2010

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

The Warszawa posted:

Yes. God how I love Westlaw Next.

True Story: tonight my civ pro prof emailed us an extra 200 pages of reading for our 9 am, 3 hour session tomorrow. At midnight. Apparently some other sections just have a research assignment and a memo. Somehow we've had a motion/filing and accompanying memo every week.

And yet no matter what I do I will receive the same grade at the end of this semester.

There's no way he can reasonably expect enough people to still be awake at midnight for that assignment to be read by enough people for class discussion.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Honestly I should just be a park ranger. I'd probably be much happier.

I think there's a judge whose only job is to hear cases in Yosemite and, as I recall, they get a free house in the park. That is the best law job you can currently hope for.

evilweasel posted:

I've heard the bloomberg one is actually much better than either. Never used it though.

For a transactional attorney Bloomberg law is absurdly better than either Westlaw or Lexis. It's particularly good if you're doing any M&A or bankruptcy work because it allows you to track companies and then gives you everything related to them.

edit: anything that lets you easily search no-action letters is even better.

Lilosh posted:

There's no way he can reasonably expect enough people to still be awake at midnight for that assignment to be read by enough people for class discussion.

Your expectations will change dramatically when you begin work. Unfortunately they will also depend more on which partner you work for than on which firm you work for so you will have no control over whether you are expected to sleep with your blackberry or whether you can stop checking at ten when the partner goes to sleep.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 27, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Opposing counsel failed to respond to a no-evidence summary judgment by the deadline.

We are completely what-the-gently caress.

:psyduck:

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Roger_Mudd posted:

No :(

Also I can't believe anyone is debating the merits of westlaw v. lexis. Lexis is horrible, end of discussion.

I refuse to use lexis on the grounds that it has a disgustingly cutesy name...

On the other hand, our Lexis rep is fairly attractive, but our Westlaw rep wears suit jackets with jeans and has a faux-hawk.

They do give us Westlaw Next, though.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Abugadu posted:

kick susan guindi for me

What'd she do?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CaptainScraps posted:

Opposing counsel failed to respond to a no-evidence summary judgment by the deadline.

We are completely what-the-gently caress.

Whoops. Turned out he did respond.

He responded late and didn't give us a copy.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

It's not. I think they're all equally useful.

However, I do have an awesome Bloomberg Law tshirt that is great for the gym!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Lilosh posted:

She did. It was a central focus of the first third of class.

I was not the only one who stayed up to read it. We are enablers, all of us.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CaptainScraps posted:

This is pretty SOP in state courts around here. They don't even file an opposition and just show up and argue "material facts in dispute."

And if they're plaintiffs, they often win. Until appeal.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

builds character posted:

Your expectations will change dramatically when you begin work. Unfortunately they will also depend more on which partner you work for than on which firm you work for so you will have no control over whether you are expected to sleep with your blackberry or whether you can stop checking at ten when the partner goes to sleep.

The Warszawa posted:

She did. It was a central focus of the first third of class.

I was not the only one who stayed up to read it. We are enablers, all of us.

builds character: I fully realize that work-life is different and that associates are at the beck and call of partners. I meant that in law school there's less of a "WE OWN YOU, DO THIS OR DIE" mentality.

Warszawa: Our law school constantly tells us to make sure we get 7-8 hours of sleep, and not to pull all nighters, and try to stay healthy. (We all ignore it, but it would make a great reason not to have read that poo poo)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Napoleon I posted:

On the other hand, our Lexis rep is fairly attractive, but our Westlaw rep wears suit jackets with jeans and has a faux-hawk.

All right, but does he look good? Does he pull it off? Are they ugly prefaded jeans or are they dark? Does everything fit? Assuming the Westlaw rep is a guy. If it's a woman, that sounds pretty cool. Also I guess I should say that despite my name I've never had a fauxhawk.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Pretty entertaining petition for rehearing to the Ninth Circuit. Here are samples:

Crazy Dude posted:

Thank you Judge Bowie for violating F.R.C.P. Rule 26, as well as every other discovery rule you cock sucking mother fucker.

Crazy Dude posted:

Plaintiff wants the three (3) little bitches who are referring to themselves as judges on this case to be on notice that allowing criminal and civil fraud to take place with the blessing and straight up support of the Court (which is supposed to protect people in these situations) is going to result in civil unrest.

http://db.tt/bF1Lrl2

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Plaintiff has news for these slime ball, piece of poo poo, rear end clown judges...You cock suckers are now on notice.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

quote:

"To put in bluntly, Darrell must be in San Francisco to attend to Very Important Baseball matters and really, really needs to not be obligated to attend the hearing scheduled for October 27th, 2010 as he has no one to cover for him so that he can see to his business in San Francisco," Cook writes in the motion.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/irving_motion.pdf

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HiddenReplaced posted:

Responding "[w]rong bitches" to a legal argument isn't really an effective persuasive argument - it is really more gainsay or rejoinder.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn
"Defendant Huggle"

awwwww huggles :3:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Abugadu posted:

kick susan guindi for me

all you ever had to do was ask, man

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

HiddenReplaced posted:

Pretty entertaining petition for rehearing to the Ninth Circuit. Here are samples:

Plaintiff posted:

...the 9th Circuit is adjudicating the case with three (3) rear end clowns acting as judges....

Well it's good he didn't leave that ambiguous.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

HiddenReplaced posted:

Has this man been arrested yet?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Incredulous Red posted:

Has this man been arrested yet?

He's running on the Tea Party ticket and is ahead in the polls.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

CaptainScraps posted:

The U.S. Assistant Attorney in my criminal case didn't timely submit post-trial briefing or a reply to our post-trial brief.

Then we got a filing blaming the gaffe on his student law clerk, who 'missed' the ECF filing in his inbox somehow, and asking for permission to file late.

Then he just filed the post-trial brief anyways.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Phil Moscowitz posted:

yes, but i don't know what it does or why i should care.

Also, I have to write a memo on something which I haven't done in about three years. Can someone point me to some good examples of real world memos that aren't all goofy exercises in LRW incrementalism?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dividebyzero posted:

yes, but i don't know what it does or why i should care.

Also, I have to write a memo on something which I haven't done in about three years. Can someone point me to some good examples of real world memos that aren't all goofy exercises in LRW incrementalism?

You didn't save any of your old ones? Sometimes I look back at things I wrote while weeping about the salad days

I'd give you one but confidentiality and all that and I don't feel like changing names or asking my old bosses' permission

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Can't wait to hang this up in the office tomorrow:

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Just in case any of you guys Reddit this demand an upvote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/law/comments/dxenw/law_schools_are_manufacturing_more_lawyers_than/

Think of all the lives you can save. I literally view this mission as akin to an amnesty international report or something.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Lemonus posted:

Just in case any of you guys Reddit this demand an upvote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/law/comments/dxenw/law_schools_are_manufacturing_more_lawyers_than/

Think of all the lives you can save. I literally view this mission as akin to an amnesty international report or something.

I, and several others, reposted this on facebook book with "THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU" comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Building my schedule and I'm looking for some classes that'll up my stock for clerkships. Besides Federal Courts is there anything I should be making sure I get on my transcript come time to apply?