Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any official books or comics or anything with force using people loving? Like, a saucy sex scene? I would prefer if they used the force somehow in the loving but it's not required. I'm not trying to be all "shocking and edgy" with this question, It just came up talking to a friend today, and although we havn't read that much outside material we couldn't think of anything. Like, A. Skywalker doesn't really count because it's only AND NOW I'M PREGNANT, and there's no romantic scene implying conception.

Let's just be honest here, in the realm of Star Wars, neither author nor reader is going to be really well versed in sexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any official books or comics or anything with force using people loving? Like, a saucy sex scene? I would prefer if they used the force somehow in the loving but it's not required. I'm not trying to be all "shocking and edgy" with this question, It just came up talking to a friend today, and although we havn't read that much outside material we couldn't think of anything. Like, A. Skywalker doesn't really count because it's only AND NOW I'M PREGNANT, and there's no romantic scene implying conception.

I remember it being strongly suggested at the beginnings of the Bacta War (Mirax & Corran) and possibly Destiny's Way (Mara & Luke), but it's literally just the build up to it and immediately cuts to the aftermath.

I think there's also a scene where Jaina and Zekk realise they've just had sex in front of a bunch of bugs, but that would be impossible seeing as no book whose content fits that description has ever been conceived or written.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

In the Star Wars galaxy, all species asexually reproduce. Concepts such as lust and beauty are enjoyed on a purely artistic level. For example: Jabba isn't as creepy crime lord for having dancing slave girls he commonly feeds to his rancor for not dancing good enough, he's a lover of the arts. Art he loves feeding to his rancor.

God, I love Jabba the Hutt. He's like the ultimate caricature of a crime lord. He's so obviously harmless in the sense that the only thing I could see him doing is eating someone who walked into his mouth, yet he's so loving wealthy that he apparently controls all crime ever. Cool dude.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 26, 2010

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

...the only thing I could see him doing is eating someone who walked into his mouth...

8lolop, indeed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why is Jabba wearing a ring with a knife on it?

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Captain Splendid posted:

8lolop, indeed.

Man I don't even think it'd be that tough to climb back out of Jabba (or whatever Hutt this is!), unless Hutts have like seventy sets of teeth or something in the EU.

I mean if Boba Fett can get out of the Sarlacc twice then Joe Blueboots can just turn around and slip out Jabba. GOD.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hehe, he is actually showing people this as a neat party trick.

KabeDerlin
Mar 26, 2010
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I feel it's specific enough that it probably hasn't. I'm horribly behind in my Star Wars novel reading and I'm most of the way through Legacy of the Force, and I hit a bit of a question. Now I did not read all of New Jedi Order (finished Star by Star and went on a SW hiatus for roughly 6 years).

When in Betrayal I found out that Pellaeon was supreme commander of the GA, and then I saw Wedge being harassed by an ex-Imperial, I made the assumption that the GA must be comprised of the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic, who allied in the Yuuzhan Vong war, and then decided to keep the allegiance and form the GA. This theory of mine worked until seven books later, I'm reading Revelation and Jacen is trying to get the Imperial Remnant to commit ships and troops to the war.

My question: Why was Pellaeon allowed to command the GA forces if he was leader of a faction not part of the GA? Was it because he was just so bad rear end? Pellaeon has always been one of my favorite Expanded Universe characters so I'm not complaining at any face time they give him, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Also, since we're on the subject of novels, how good is Fate of the Jedi? Legacy has been alright, and I mostly feel like it's been slow a lot of the time because a couple years ago, not assuming I'd ever get back to reading Star Wars books, I had my friend give me the entire synopsis of the series. My reasoning is because I knew what was going to happen, it's just been a drawn out experience to get to the end. Fate of the Jedi remains much a mystery to me, and I've tried to stay away from any plot spoilers so I can be surprised a bit, but on a whole, is it better, worse, or the same as Legacy?

When I finally catch up I might actually participate in threads like this. I'm just fearful of FotJ spoilers for the most part...

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fox of Stone posted:

Why is Jabba wearing a ring with a knife on it?

It's obviously a pull tab from the Pabzzt Blue Rodian can that he's currently enjoying.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In the Star Wars galaxy, all species asexually reproduce.

This is remarkably close to Bioware's Chief Bigot, Sean Dahlberg, and his stance that homosexuality "does not exist in Star Wars." :argh:

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Just an update for those of you who love Star Tours:

Disney Parks Blog posted:

It was great to read your comments about the pilots of Star Tours on my last post. Some people really want to see Rex again in the new show. Others are excited about the introduction of the new character “Ace.” And then there are those who are speculating about a bigger role for Threepio. So, I thought it was time we set the story straight about just who will be in the cockpit in the new show. And guess what? You’re all right!

As explained earlier, all Star Tours Starspeeder 1000s are flown using the latest AC-series Tour Droids. And in fact, our initial plans were for our flight to be piloted by AC-38 better known as “Ace.” However, in discussions with George Lucas during the course of our production, we decided to take the story in a very different direction.

So…while AC-38 is supposed to be our pilot, by the time we actually take off, the droid sitting in the pilot’s seat will be none other than…C-3PO!

It’s one of the biggest changes and surprises in the new show. “Professional grit stopped me from yelling the glorious new storyline from the rooftops,” said Anthony Daniels recently. “It’s fun having secrets like this, waiting to share them at the right time.”

You’ll see just how Threepio becomes our pilot when the adventures continue next year.

This week, our Imagineering team begins installation of the Audio-Animatronics figures into the Starspeeder cabins at Disneyland park, and next month at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Oh, and for all you Rex fans, don’t worry – we have a spot for him in the new show!

:argh: Lucas!!! :argh:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This just in: TFU 2 is a painfully mediocre game according to every review.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Diacritical Mark posted:

Just an update for those of you who love Star Tours:

:argh: Lucas!!! :argh:
At least it isn't Jar Jar, the technology isn't right yet. I'd rather have the gay robot.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd rather have the gay robot.

Yes, but what about in Star Wars?

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

At least it isn't Jar Jar, the technology isn't right yet. I'd rather have the gay robot.

Considering Star Tours will take place between III and IV, I would not rule out a long Jar Jar cameo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Diacritical Mark posted:

Considering Star Tours will take place between III and IV, I would not rule out a long Jar Jar cameo.
Maybe they should just rebrand Stitch's Great Escape! to use a George Lucas animatronic that spits in your face.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This just in: TFU 2 is a painfully mediocre game according to every review.

I just finished the first game. Darth Vader fighting sans helmet and oh look! His flesh and blood legs grew back. Isn't that nice ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw the TV commercial for TFU2.

I have never hated Star Wars more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

I remember it being strongly suggested at the beginnings of the Bacta War (Mirax & Corran) and possibly Destiny's Way (Mara & Luke), but it's literally just the build up to it and immediately cuts to the aftermath.

Destiny's Way actually implies that Mara and Luke like playing master and slave when being intimate.

KabeDerlin posted:

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I feel it's specific enough that it probably hasn't. I'm horribly behind in my Star Wars novel reading and I'm most of the way through Legacy of the Force, and I hit a bit of a question. Now I did not read all of New Jedi Order (finished Star by Star and went on a SW hiatus for roughly 6 years).

When in Betrayal I found out that Pellaeon was supreme commander of the GA, and then I saw Wedge being harassed by an ex-Imperial, I made the assumption that the GA must be comprised of the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic, who allied in the Yuuzhan Vong war, and then decided to keep the allegiance and form the GA. This theory of mine worked until seven books later, I'm reading Revelation and Jacen is trying to get the Imperial Remnant to commit ships and troops to the war.

My question: Why was Pellaeon allowed to command the GA forces if he was leader of a faction not part of the GA? Was it because he was just so bad rear end? Pellaeon has always been one of my favorite Expanded Universe characters so I'm not complaining at any face time they give him, but I feel like I'm missing something.

When it originally formed in the NJO the Galactic Alliance was supposed to be a federation of the New Republic worlds, the Hapans, the Imperial Remnant, and the Chiss. By the time Dark Nest rolled around that had essentially been retconned/forgotten (like pretty much everything else from the NJO) so that the Galactic Alliance was only the New Republic but with a different name and the Hapans, Imperials, etc are still around. The Pellaeon thing is clumsily explained by the fact that he resigned from the Empire between NJO and Dark Nest, despite him still being the head of the Empire in Legacy of the Force...Basically just blame Troy Denning.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I just finished the first game. Darth Vader fighting sans helmet and oh look! His flesh and blood legs grew back. Isn't that nice ?
It's going to turn out that he's a clone too. Remember Mission Impossible II where it was nothing but guys ripping off masks the whole movie? That's the kind of writing they wanted for TFU.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Chairman Capone posted:

Destiny's Way actually implies that Mara and Luke like playing master and slave when being intimate.

Wait, what?

Who's which?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Suenteus Po posted:

Wait, what?

Who's which?

Before they have sex, Mara says something like, "I can call you Master like you like."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chairman Capone posted:

Before they have sex, Mara says something like, "I can call you Master like you like."

Or it can be referring to Jedi Master/Master Jedi?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Walter Jon Williams writes creepy sex scenes, otherwise he's not a bad author.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Chairman Capone posted:

That's loving hot.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Seems backwards. You'd expect Mara to be the master.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I can handle the lovely prequels and off the wall EU

What I am truly dreading is this.

When Hollywood decides the time is right for a gritty reboot of the star wars franchise :(

EDIT: With Micheal Bay

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or it can be referring to Jedi Master/Master Jedi?

That's part of the joke but from the context it's pretty clear what's being implied.

Casimir Radon posted:

Walter Jon Williams writes creepy sex scenes, otherwise he's not a bad author.

Destiny's Way was the first thing I read from Walter Jon Williams and both him and the book really impressed me - I felt it (along with Unifying Force) was by far the strongest book in the second half of the NJO - actually, given how little I liked Star by Star, probably one of the strongest books in the NJO period.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Clemen posted:

When Hollywood decides the time is right for a gritty reboot of the star wars franchise :(

Seventies trappings aside, isn't the OT sort of gritty anyways?

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good point, any remake though might kill me. I think we as fans are too conservative about the series to handle it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, wasn't the OT pretty much the first of the "gritty dystopian worn-down future" movies? I guess Solaris was earlier but it wasn't really gritty to the same degree and certainly didn't have the impact. I know Ridley Scott said that Alien and Blade Runner wouldn't have been made if Star Wars hadn't paved the way for the "dirty future".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

One thing that pisses me off about the prequals is that everything is so shiny new and functional.

Especially in the middle of a goddamn galactic civl war. When you think civil war you should think the chaos of the French Revolution or the Russian Civil War of the twenties.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Destiny's Way was the epitome of what I found wrong with the NJO.

This takes place immediately after Traitor. I expect Jacen to come back more confident and assured of himself and his role and ready to kick rear end. Instead he does an immediate 180 and goes back to his previous whiny, wishy-washy self.

And after all the build-up between Jacen and the warmaster, you'd expect there to be a finale showdown between the two. Instead you have Jaina getting into a clumsy fight with him.

Also Williams writes about how the NR was finally getting its war machine going, and after spending all this time getting its butt kicked was now ready to start pushing back. That concept was immediately dropped when a later writer decided they needed to emphasis that everything was in a stalemate.

That being said, I did enjoy the writing in the book more than most of the other books in the series.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Clemen posted:

MY WIFE and I were watching Firefly recently and thought that IF you had to reboot Star Wars, it may not hurt if it looked a bit like that show but without all the western stuff obviously.

SeanBeansShako posted:

One thing that pisses me off about the prequals is that everything is so shiny new and functional.

Especially in the middle of a goddamn galactic civl war. When you think civil war you should think the chaos of the French Revolution or the Russian Civil War of the twenties.

I remember having discussion years ago about this. Some people seemed to say that maybe the Empire rounded up all the good tech to use for itself and people were left to just salvage what they could to make things work.

The Empire would also use very dull colors and basic looking things to project a sense of well....blah, is the best word I can think of at the moment. Everything was dull and flat looking. Just the kind of thing you would want to help bring down the spirits of people.

Kinda of like if you work in a cube farm with gray walls and florescent lights you're depressed all the time.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 27, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bonzo posted:

The Empire would also use very dull colors and basic looking things to project a sense of well....blah, is the best word I can think of at the moment.

I think "uniformity" is the word that they would use. Discourage individuality in favor of creating a well oiled, hive mind machine. And I agree, that does seem to be a big part of the Empire, and probably a big reason for it's xenophobic tendencies. Thrawn was certainly different, and they hid him in the Unknown Regions. (You know, until there was no one left to run things.)

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Bonzo posted:

...IF you had to reboot Star Wars, it may not hurt if it looked a bit like that show but without all the western stuff obviously.

But... Han Solo the space rogue gunslinger is infinitely cooler than those monk-like Jedi. Well, I'm sure that *some* people feel that way.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Rocket Ace posted:

But... Han Solo the space rogue gunslinger is infinitely cooler than those monk-like Jedi. Well, I'm sure that *some* people feel that way.

I certainly do. Although that could be caused by the terrible way Jedi are written in the EU and the prequels (and the awesome way X-Wing pilots were written in the X-Wing series).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I get the sense that the EU is writting itself into a corner by introducing a Force Cthulhu into Star Wars. Because once you defeat Force Cthulhu (and anyone who knows anything knows this is going to be the outcome), where do you go from there?

I suppose you can have a time traveling adventure, and thereby mess up the continuity beyond all recognition. Which would be sad, but oddly appropriate fate for the EU :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahoshonen posted:

I get the sense that the EU is writting itself into a corner by introducing a Force Cthulhu into Star Wars. Because once you defeat Force Cthulhu (and anyone who knows anything knows this is going to be the outcome), where do you go from there?

A planet destroying battle station shaped like force cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SeanBeansShako posted:

A planet destroying battle station shaped like force cthulhu.

Megamaid with a tentacled face?