Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This just in: TFU 2 is a painfully mediocre game according to every review.

Its honestly not that bad. The big problem is after the first one its hard to take it to the next level. After you pull a loving Star Destroyer from orbit there just no where to go but down. The game just did not have that "epic" feel to it as the first one.

The largest problem in my eyes is the extremely short, about half that of the first one. At least it felt that way to me.

I think a lot of it was lost when the new head of Lucus gaming division or what ever kicked out the head for TFU and nixxed any games not done in house that also may kill off any TFU 3 despite this ones cliff hanger.

Cons. Short and unable to capture the full feel of the first one.
Pros. A "Guybrush Threepkiller" costume and still some awesome force fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Rocket Ace posted:

But... Han Solo the space rogue gunslinger is infinitely cooler than those monk-like Jedi. Well, I'm sure that *some* people feel that way.

I was mainly talking about the accents and horses.

Now Han and Lando sneaking onto a train, trying to hide in plain sight from imperial troops, making their way to the cargo hold while Chewie is lowered by grappling hook down from an R2-D2 piloted Millennium Falcon where he then grabs the stolen goods and ascends back up into the ship is all kinds of awesome.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bonzo posted:

MY WIFE and I were watching Firefly recently and thought that IF you had to reboot Star Wars, it may not hurt if it looked a bit like that show but without all the western stuff obviously.

I actually think that Farscape is a much better comparison for a potential Star Wars remake than Firefly. Farscape gave me a classic Star Wars feel almost immediately when I first watched it; Firefly, while I really enjoyed it also, just seemed like it was Joss Whedon trying a bit too hard to do his version of Star Wars. The fact that my college was swamped with those loving Browncoats wearing the "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" shirt when Serenity came out didn't help.

I really love Firefly and I'm not usually one to defend the prequels but I will say I would rather watch Revenge of the Sith a dozen times than rewatch Serenity.

Mahoshonen posted:

I get the sense that the EU is writting itself into a corner by introducing a Force Cthulhu into Star Wars. Because once you defeat Force Cthulhu (and anyone who knows anything knows this is going to be the outcome), where do you go from there?

I suppose you can have a time traveling adventure, and thereby mess up the continuity beyond all recognition. Which would be sad, but oddly appropriate fate for the EU :smith:

Time travel and Force Cthulhu: This what happens when you keep letting Troy Denning plan your series.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Abeloth thing is the start of a trend of a more mystical/explicitly fantasy-like trend in the EU. They've done pretty much most sci-fi stuff they can, at least given the restraints of Lucasfilm and the Star wars universe's construction, and FOTJ seems to have been setting up that thousands of years ago the SW galaxy was filled with Lovecraftian entities and literal gods before the Celestials shoved them all out and put up Centerpoint and the hyperspace field at the edge of the galaxy to keep them out.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Played and finished TFU2 last night in about 5-6 hours, and completed both endings.

General impression... you've really got 3-4 actual "levels" because various missions have you going through the same areas. 2 Kamino levels, 3 Frigate levels, and 2 Cato Nemodia levels IIRC along with the boss battle areas.

Cut scene quality is great, story is "meh" because your motivation and actual desire to accomplish said motivation is lacking. Yoda/Boba Fett are relegated to cut scenes.

Gameplay is virtually unchanged.

Endings suck.

Light side: You spare Vader and he is taken prisoner by the alliance. You tell him that, clone or not - you decided to spare him and are free from his control. He tells you that as long as Juno lives he will always control you. You fly out into space, and Boba Fett/Slave I de-connect from some wreckage and jump into hyperspace after you.

Dark side: You go to swing at Vader, and your evil clone appears out of nowhere and stabs you in the back. Then he kills everyone and kneels before Vader. You are told that you are one of many, and your clone's job is to wipe out the Rebellion. He flies into space in your ship flanked by TIE Fighters.

The first game seemed to offer more story-wise, but even it was pretty meh. It just seems like a reason was thought up to bring the character back for another game.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

A planet destroying battle station shaped like force cthulhu.

A fleet of solid gold Death Stars!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Who is this Force Cthulhu you guys keep mentioning?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If we tell you the urge to punch Troy Denning hard in the genitals will become unstoppable.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Abeloth R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain von Trapp posted:

And now I'm angry.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chairman Capone posted:

Time travel and Force Cthulhu: This what happens when you keep letting Troy Denning plan your series.

The thing is that we already have a story about time travel and Cthulhu. It's called Chrono Trigger.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh. A space god with infinite powers who lives in an alternative universe. Very Star warsy.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh. A space god with infinite powers who lives in an alternative universe. Very Star warsy.

About one link away:

Wookieepedia posted:

The Lake of Apparitions was a lake that existed in a realm of the Force known as beyond shadows. Any being who walked across the Lake had to step carefully, or they would sink into the Depths of Eternity, from which they couldn't be saved. While walking across it the spirits of deceased Force-sensitives could be seen on the surface of the water, known as the Mirror of Remembrance. Over the Lake hung heavy mists, which were known as the Mists of Forgetfulness.

:ughh: All right EU authors, repeat after me. High fantasy and space opera are two different genres. High fantasy and space opera are two different genres. High fantasy and space opera are...

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Oh wow. That's easily the worst Star Wars-related thing I've ever read. I honestly don't know what to say about that. Guess that's another thing that'll never make its way into my personal Star Wars Canon.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So have they discovered in FOTJ yet why Jacen went dark?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NeonTurtle posted:

Oh wow. That's easily the worst Star Wars-related thing I've ever read. I honestly don't know what to say about that. Guess that's another thing that'll never make its way into my personal Star Wars Canon.

P-Canon really is the best canon.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Dear George

This thread.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Muppetjedi posted:

Dear George

This thread.

Somehow Carrie Fisher continues to get more awesome with age.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NGL posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:ughh: All right EU authors, repeat after me. High fantasy and space opera are two different genres. High fantasy and space opera are two different genres. High fantasy and space opera are...

I agree. But, George apparently doesn't. Episode 1 had the gungan battle and 2 had the.... :psyduck: napoleonic clone battle thing.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

NGL posted:

Hell, I'd still hit it. The awesome makes up for everything.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

NeonTurtle posted:

[spoiler]But she's dead as of Allies. That means it's for good right guys? Right? :gbsmith:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

About one link away:

Was that created by a random fantasy plot generator? I swear I've heard exactly that cadence online somewhere, but with different words...

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So I finished Death Troopers last week or so. While I enjoy crappy zombie novels, I didn't really get the Star Wars feeling from it. It could be because of all the gore and blood and guts. It's like they took a generic space-zombie horror novel, and added "Stormtrooper" and "Empire" to every third sentence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NGL posted:

I wish she was still hot
:(

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish she was still hot
:(

You mean this doesn't do anything for you?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Archer666 posted:

So I finished Death Troopers last week or so. While I enjoy crappy zombie novels, I didn't really get the Star Wars feeling from it. It could be because of all the gore and blood and guts. It's like they took a generic space-zombie horror novel, and added "Stormtrooper" and "Empire" to every third sentence.

Ensign_Ricky is trying his best to finish Death Troopers in the Let Us Read EU Books For you thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw a TFU2 commercial where the apprentice incinerates a storm trooper trough an anger-clysm or something.

edit

I guess I should add this did not impress me and I hate Star Wars even more.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 29, 2010

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

I just saw a TFU2 commercial where the apprentice incinerates a storm trooper trough an anger-clysm or something.

edit

I guess I should add this did not impress me and I hate Star Wars even more.

You don't have to lie about it. Even if you thought it was the coolest thing a jedi did ever, we'll still accept you.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

Dear George

This thread.

Anyone know why she was giving the one finger salute?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aratoeldar posted:

Anyone know why she was giving the one finger salute?

Because it was funny.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Going out to a friend's party tonight, trying to dig through boxes to find my han solo outfit to wear. I don't have the blaster or the right kind of boots anymore, but everything else should be around here somewhere.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Going out to a friend's party tonight, trying to dig through boxes to find my han solo outfit to wear. I don't have the blaster or the right kind of boots anymore, but everything else should be around here somewhere.

How'd that go by the way?

It has been a quiet few days now yeah. Even the book review thread seems to be dead :(.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

How'd that go by the way?

It has been a quiet few days now yeah. Even the book review thread seems to be dead :(.

Sorry about that. It seems that in my hate, I killed it. :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Went pretty well. I faux-tangled with a darth vader at the party. My costume was the ESB one so not everyone recognized it off the bat. All in all a swell time, my swagger level goes up 10 points when I wear that thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Went pretty well. I faux-tangled with a darth vader at the party. My costume was the ESB one so not everyone recognized it off the bat. All in all a swell time, my swagger level goes up 10 points when I wear that thing.

ESB Hans gear is pretty drat cool if you ask me, but I think the ROTJ Duster is equally kick rear end.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SeanBeansShako posted:

ESB Hans gear is pretty drat cool if you ask me, but I think the ROTJ Duster is equally kick rear end.

Han gets the best threads, overall. Also, the typo in your post and another post somewhere in the past are kind of making me wish his name was Hans Solo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

We all know that the lull in the thread is due to everyone playing TFUII and subsequently dying (cause of death: losing the will to live).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

Han gets the best threads, overall. Also, the typo in your post and another post somewhere in the past are kind of making me wish his name was Hans Solo.
They're such high quality clothing he continues to wear them into his seventies.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I played the TFU2 demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. It felt so hollow and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm back, and I haven't had a chance to play TFU2 yet, but I can't believe y'all were already flipping out over the new trilogy rumor. That rumor comes up like every two weeks ever since Revenge of the Sith, and it always turns out to be bullcrap.