Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MadScientistWorking posted:

But that isn't a myth. Its actually a well documented phenomenon.

So maybe they're busting the myth that Archimedes built a giant ship-destroying glass hotel building???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey, Sean D. Tucker is on Mythbusters tonight! I know that guy!

(Yes, I took this photograph)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, thank god they aren't actually using real poo poo because that's nasty as hell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Considering this show's fanbase, I can imagine there will be a ton of creepy screenshots of Kari's feet on the internet.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Ha ha ha blue poop

This is the most immature episode they've ever done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This Kari one is just NASTY.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's a reason people chew the bugs before they swallow them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Tornado timeeee!

edit: awww I know all these little town names!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 21, 2010

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

FogHelmut posted:

Considering this show's fanbase, I can imagine there will be a ton of creepy screenshots of Kari's feet on the internet.

The feet if we're lucky. I shudder to think what people will do with the POV shot from the puke bowl.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The whole episode was worth it for "I'm a grown woman and boys are STILL forcing me to eat bugs!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

The whole episode was worth it for "I'm a grown woman and boys are STILL forcing me to eat bugs!"

I'm not sure if the whole episode was worth it for that, but that was really hilarious.

Mythbusters is feeling really, really old this season. I know they've been out of myths for years but come on guys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TL posted:

I shudder to think what people will do with the POV shot from the puke bowl.

Yeah the puke bowl camera was really over the line for me. Why the gently caress would anyone ever put a camera in there?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah the puke bowl camera was really over the line for me. Why the gently caress would anyone ever put a camera in there?

Because they can? they're using Go Pro HD Heros. and i looks like someone bought a lot of them recently cause they were used almost everywhere in the episode.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure if the whole episode was worth it for that, but that was really hilarious.

Mythbusters is feeling really, really old this season. I know they've been out of myths for years but come on guys.

I actually thought the cold feet thing was pretty interesting. When it was introduced, I was like "that is absolutely retarded," then my RN of a wife pointed out the fight or flight response before the build team did. That it was actually true AND it was that much of a temperature drop was pretty nifty.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CommanderApaul posted:

I actually thought the cold feet thing was pretty interesting. When it was introduced, I was like "that is absolutely retarded," then my RN of a wife pointed out the fight or flight response before the build team did. That it was actually true AND it was that much of a temperature drop was pretty nifty.

Fair enough, that part was sort of interesting, if expected.

But on the other hand. Throwing blue poop at a fan.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

robot roll call posted:

Come on Jamie, Adam at least put a tie on.
He's wearing his fancy beret.

Also, the whole "leaving the grill on makes the poo fly more" was a nice discovery.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I'm wondering about the cold feet experiment is whether or not Grant and Kari wore shoes during their tests. Tori obviously did but their tests were just in the lab.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I wanted to ask this question for a long time.

IS there any official from Discovery corporation in here that can answer why we in sweden have to bother with swedish speaker voice. It is so lame and annoying.

Please give me a answer

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
At their ComicCon show they said that their post production for the US edition is done in Austrailia and the american voice narrator lives there. They might just farm out an edited copy with no voice over to other TV networks in Europe. The UK edition has their own voice actor as well so it makes sense.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

At their ComicCon show they said that their post production for the US edition is done in Austrailia and the american voice narrator lives there. They might just farm out an edited copy with no voice over to other TV networks in Europe. The UK edition has their own voice actor as well so it makes sense.

Thank you for the answer.

My point is that i think they read the Swedish market a bit wrong here. We don't want Swedish speaker voices or anything like that. We what hour shows to be the same as people get them over in the USA.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fritzov posted:

Thank you for the answer.

My point is that i think they read the Swedish market a bit wrong here. We don't want Swedish speaker voices or anything like that. We what hour shows to be the same as people get them over in the USA.

It's possible that Sweden has a law that mandates that foreign media be localized. Or not; it does happen though.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

IRQ posted:

It's possible that Sweden has a law that mandates that foreign media be localized. Or not; it does happen though.

No there is no sutch law. And even if there was one, Discovery is being broadcast from London so Swedish laws does not really apply.

But this is a decision made by Discovery and i think they went the wrong way doing this.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

All shows licensed for international air/distribution are provided with multiple audio tracks. Usually its a full mix (w/ America VO), a mix minus the VO, a straight music track and then a straight FX track. Local markets will then hack and slash it down for air in terms of time, any editing for content and the new VO read. Its called localization in some markets.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

All shows licensed for international air/distribution are provided with multiple audio tracks. Usually its a full mix (w/ America VO), a mix minus the VO, a straight music track and then a straight FX track. Local markets will then hack and slash it down for air in terms of time, any editing for content and the new VO read. Its called localization in some markets.

Thank you for the information. I have emailed Discovery about the issue but not got any reply yet.

I think this goes for Germany, France and other Europeans country but in Northern Europe we always keep the original voices and ad subtitles but for somehow in recent years more and more channels have added Swedish speaker voices it makes my upset. It has for sure stop me watching the shows on Swedish tv and instead i get the shows from other sources so i can get everything original.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

fritzov posted:

Thank you for the information. I have emailed Discovery about the issue but not got any reply yet.

I think this goes for Germany, France and other Europeans country but in Northern Europe we always keep the original voices and ad subtitles but for somehow in recent years more and more channels have added Swedish speaker voices it makes my upset. It has for sure stop me watching the shows on Swedish tv and instead i get the shows from other sources so i can get everything original.
Do they dub over Adam and Jamie, etc. or just the useless annoying narrator? If it's just the narrator you're not missing much if it's the actual people I could see why that would be very annoying.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

the-jam posted:

Do they dub over Adam and Jamie, etc. or just the useless annoying narrator? If it's just the narrator you're not missing much if it's the actual people I could see why that would be very annoying.

No No, nothing is dubbed just the narrators and it still annoys me. American show's where u have a swedish narrator feels so lame.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

fritzov posted:

No No, nothing is dubbed just the narrators and it still annoys me. American show's where u have a swedish narrator feels so lame.

I can think of something that feels even lamer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fritzov posted:

A Swedish voice actor got paid; be happy. Also if you're so concerned about the show being in English please at least bother yourself to type out the word "you."

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I am not saying it is the end of the world but my point still is that it is the wrong way for Discovery Channel to go. That's all i am saying.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Did anyone catch that Pawn Stars clone show on last night that was on after Dirty Jobs? I fell asleep less than 5 minutes in, but it looks like Discovery is trying to ride that wave now too. It's called Auction Kings, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Discovery starts airing "U.S. Scroungers" as a lead-in,

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

magiccarpet posted:

This might explain why Discovery Canada is months late getting 'new' episodes even though for all intents and purposes the episodes are identical here. Great job.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
Where did all the Survival shows go?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This 10% of the brain thing is a snoozer.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Adam, we know what you're doing with that combover. Just accept that you're losing your hair.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hall n oates mom posted:

This might explain why Discovery Canada is months late getting 'new' episodes even though for all intents and purposes the episodes are identical here. Great job.

I thought the VOs we get in the US were done by Canadians? That guy who narrates Mythbusters sure sounds like a Canadian and I'm pretty sure he's said dumb stuff like "zed" before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The actual tablecloth pull on that video is so unbelievably fakey I don't know why they're bothering.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

muscles like this? posted:

The actual tablecloth pull on that video is so unbelievably fakey I don't know why they're bothering.
A large percentage of the myths they test have results they know before they actually start.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It usually doesn't look so obviously fake as that video though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just saw the ep where they were trying to catapult Buster using a tree. Who was that new woman they were using since Kari wasn't there? I instantly like her more than Kari.

Kari is just so..... pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just saw the ep where they were trying to catapult Buster using a tree. Who was that new woman they were using since Kari wasn't there? I instantly like her more than Kari.

Kari is just so..... pointless.

Her name was Jesse and she had been on the show much earlier in its run before Kari joined at all.

• Locked thread