Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

spog posted:

My images are either seen on my screen (so, if it looks good on my screen, that is fine)or on friends/family screens -which are usually so wildly miscalibrated, it doesn't really matter whether the image colour is completely correct.

If I ever do print something out, it is going to be at a shop somewhere, so I'll need to colour match to them at the time of printing.

I guess I enjoy the non-destructive editing capabilities of LR much - it's easy to tweak the colours again and again without quality loss.

Yeah, but if you can match a known color space then you don't have to do anything to get a print that looks good from any printer. I use a spyder 3 pro every few weeks and I order prints from WHCC constantly. They always look really drat close to what I see on my monitor. It really takes out the guess work. It's also nice to know that my images are being displayed on the web the same way I see them. Obviously I can't help if everyone's monitors are way off, but at least I know I've done everything I can on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

How many brownie points do I stand to lose by showing my portfolio on a laptop instead of a printed book?
I was hoping to have everything printed overnight but my interview with a studio has been brought forward to tonight instead.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tincans posted:

How many brownie points do I stand to lose by showing my portfolio on a laptop instead of a printed book?
I was hoping to have everything printed overnight but my interview with a studio has been brought forward to tonight instead.

Depending on how big of a deal it is to you/if you can afford it: Run out to the Apple Store and buy a 16GB WiFi iPad to use. Can always re-sell it for a small loss on Craigslist later if you don't want it.

I don't think a laptop is the end of the world, but the viewing angles are going to suck and if there is more than one person, it'll be a PITA to huddle around it. An iPad has a much nicer display, and can be easily passed around.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think it depends on the job. If it's someone who interviews photographers on a regular basis... then you won't look as good as the guys with immaculately put together books. If this is for assisting or something then I don't think they'll really care.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=170

Thought some people would like to know that Good Will online now has camera listings.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Depending on how big of a deal it is to you/if you can afford it: Run out to the Apple Store and buy a 16GB WiFi iPad to use. Can always re-sell it for a small loss on Craigslist later if you don't want it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the interviewer ended up ignoring him and just played with the ipad all the time.

Which may or may not be a bad thing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Thought some people would like to know that Good Will online now has camera listings.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Minolta-X-700-Film-Camera-with-Lens-Bags-6938701.html

:laugh: "Minolta X-700 film camera which has a Hoya 52mm UV(0) lens on it."

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Wooten posted:

Yeah, but if you can match a known color space then you don't have to do anything to get a print that looks good from any printer. I use a spyder 3 pro every few weeks and I order prints from WHCC constantly. They always look really drat close to what I see on my monitor. It really takes out the guess work. It's also nice to know that my images are being displayed on the web the same way I see them. Obviously I can't help if everyone's monitors are way off, but at least I know I've done everything I can on my end.

Two counter points:
- this assumes that your printhouse is competent enough to calibrate their equipment and/or provide accurate ICC profiles; e.g. it's a good thing I requested a sample before approving a print run of 1000 copies once, their printer was seriously out of whack

- if you post online your images will look great on your system. They will be all over the place depending on what screens and browsers other people are using.

Of course that's not to belittle the usefulness of calibration utilities and at $50-$100 for a simple one, this should be an easy purchase.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Why even bother correcting color if your screen will never show you what is actually going on?

Calibrating takes almost all the hassle out of printing and it costs nothing compared to what your cameras or computer does...

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Cross_ posted:

- this assumes that your printhouse is competent enough to calibrate their equipment and/or provide accurate ICC profiles; e.g. it's a good thing I requested a sample before approving a print run of 1000 copies once, their printer was seriously out of whack

This has happened to me twice, with two different printers. I got my money back both times and I don't use their services any more.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Do what I did and stake out Ebay for a Monaco Optix XR (model DTP-94). I found one a couple weeks ago for $35 shipped with EZColor software. Both the calibrator and software work perfectly under Windows 7 64-bit.

Bar none the best of any consumer calibrators, past or present.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Has anybody got experience with open source color calibration tools?

I've got a spyder 3 but no software - I've found http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive

Paragon8 posted:

Has anybody got experience with open source color calibration tools?

I've got a spyder 3 but no software - I've found http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/

There really should be a "Megathread" about software / equipment / tutorials etc. for The Dorkroom, things like this would be superb for just that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

JC Penney made lenses? :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

JC Penney made lenses? :psyduck:

Department stores used to do a lot of that. There was Sears branded stuff too.

I don't think any of them actually made it, they just bought it from some budget brand and put their name on it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think Leica just made something for neiman marcus.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I forgot my camera battery, and am at a winery trip. FFFUUUUUUUU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Welp! Time to enjoy a whole lotta wine :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This isn't as bad as it sounds, buddy.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Yea, I guess you're right. I'm with my company, meetings in the morning and wine tour in the afternoon. I'll just drink up. I just feel weird without it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Rated PG-34 posted:

They've had camera listings for at least a year now. When they first started, it was a great place to find old good Nikon lenses. Usually, you could find a good film body with an amazing lens for ~$20.

Now though, all of the Nikon auctions get bid up like crazy and it seems they aren't getting nearly as many good donations as they used to.

I've seen Crown Graphics, MATs, F5s, all kinds of good stuff on there.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I just feel weird without it.

Quit wining. :haw:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Whilst I could probably fit some more in, I have just now filled two notebooks with photo ideas. I thought it would be a good idea if I got into uni. I could just catalogue them, and I wouldn't have to have on the ball creativity, I could just mix and match my previous ideas to fit anything.

However, now I've got this huge backlog of creativity I feel stymied. Claustrophobic. Way too many photo ideas.

I kinda wanna burn them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This wouldn't have happened if you had a Leica M2/3/4/6 :smug:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This wouldn't have happened if you had a Leica M2/3/4/6 :smug:

I kind of want a crank-powered DSLR or digital rangefinder, like those flashlights.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Anybody else going to/at photo plus expo? My coworker picked up our press bags and I'm excited to know what's in it, but I cant make it there until Friday night. I cant wait to play with all the expensive equipment I can never afford to own :3:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nonanone posted:

Anybody else going to/at photo plus expo? My coworker picked up our press bags and I'm excited to know what's in it, but I cant make it there until Friday night. I cant wait to play with all the expensive equipment I can never afford to own :3:

I heard a bit about this and remembering you said you're in Michigan was hoping this was at Cobo or something, so I looked it up.

Stupid NYC :argh:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

nonanone posted:

I'll be there on Saturday,.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

DJExile posted:

I heard a bit about this and remembering you said you're in Michigan was hoping this was at Cobo or something, so I looked it up.

Stupid NYC :argh:

Yeah...sorry about that. I'd love a photo show at cobo though!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
What's the rules around vote begging?

I've got a small photography comp that I'd love to have SA's support behind by posting it here (just in this thread), but I don't wanna get banhammered :(

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

What's the rules around vote begging?

I've got a small photography comp that I'd love to have SA's support behind by posting it here (just in this thread), but I don't wanna get banhammered :(

I think it depends on your entry.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Helmacron posted:

I think it depends on your entry.

It's for gig & concert photos..

That's the image I'm entering.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure if you're soliciting feedback, but I'd crop it just a little tighter to get rid of the blank wall in the background there. That or add a little gradient so the blank space is more black.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers, but i've already entered it, just wondering now if I can pimp it here safely :P

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

It's the worst, you're guaranteed to see some amazing things now :)

I've ran out a couple of times, always at the worst possible moments.
Thus I bought a grip and 2 extra batteries.
Then I forgot to bring the third on my next trip, and both grip batteries ran out at once.

:(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You fuckers need to develop bag-packing and back-home rituals.
Come home, put batteries in charger, swap fresh ones in (body and flash), put card in reader and start import, fresh card in DSLR.
Check film counter on F3, check extra roll is in the bag, put away exposed film.

Takes you 2 minutes at most, saves you endless trouble. You really te be fanatic about this poo poo or it'll come bite you in the rear end eventually.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Greybone posted:

I've ran out a couple of times, always at the worst possible moments.
Thus I bought a grip and 2 extra batteries.
Then I forgot to bring the third on my next trip, and both grip batteries ran out at once.

I flew to Japan with loads of memory cards, two fully-charged batteries, but forgot the recharger.

Both batteries ran out on day 3.

'No problem' sez I, 'This is Japan, home of Canon, I can pick one up anywhere'

Turns out that if you ask for a battery -charger for a camera that is 3 years old, you might as well be asking for film for a daguerreotype. I got a lot of politely-confused looks from dept-store clerks.

(yes, I know it used plates, not film, but it works better in my story)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

Whilst I could probably fit some more in, I have just now filled two notebooks with photo ideas. I thought it would be a good idea if I got into uni. I could just catalogue them, and I wouldn't have to have on the ball creativity, I could just mix and match my previous ideas to fit anything.

However, now I've got this huge backlog of creativity I feel stymied. Claustrophobic. Way too many photo ideas.

I kinda wanna burn them.
You should burn them then take pictures of the fire. There's another photo idea, write it down in your notebook.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Cheers, but i've already entered it, just wondering now if I can pimp it here safely :P

Nope, don't want to start that. Spam your facebook or whatever like everybody else.

quote:

You fuckers need to develop bag-packing and back-home rituals.

I use a packing list that has all my poo poo on it. I keep it organized kind of by things and what they need, so it'll say "Camera" and then there's a sub list under that for "cards, batteries, charger, meter, etc" under that. I highlight everything that goes into the cases before I leave and then cross them off again when I get home and unpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

brad industry posted:

I use a packing list that has all my poo poo on it. I keep it organized kind of by things and what they need, so it'll say "Camera" and then there's a sub list under that for "cards, batteries, charger, meter, etc" under that. I highlight everything that goes into the cases before I leave and then cross them off again when I get home and unpack.

Do you print that out every day?