Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
This guy did the Shuttle and the 747 carrying it. Respect.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4713396

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh god the concrete pump truck my wife is building is now becoming a concrete pump truck with electrics and pneumatics. I can't afford this poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Saint Sputnik posted:

Is it true TRU is giving out little Lego head trick or treat bags with $20 purchase?

I got one two weeks ago but when i went last night to buy the Emperors Shuttle they were all out of magnets and treat bags.

Nothingman
Sep 12, 2007

Singin' in the rain
put this together today

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lego EMT standing in front of a die-cast ambulance?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Friday I got a call from a friend, "hey I'm taking my son to the lego store, wanna come along". So we went, she suprised me for my birthday and bought me 2 sets, 3180 and 3221. Then I go over my parents for dinner and my mom hands me a small box containg 2 sets of 852214 *the salt and pepper shakers*.

Its been a lego filled weekend.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
The Daily Mirror in the UK is doing the "free mini Lego model" with every issue this week (started yesterday actually). You have to go to WH Smith or Toys R Us every day to get the set or save up 8(?) vouchers and send off for all of them at once (costs £8.99 postage though).

I wasn't able to get any models last time they did this cos I couldn't get to either of the stores to pick them up, but should be able at least a few of them this week.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I was debating doing the Daily Mirror thing, until I realised that I wouldn't be able to get the models from WH Smith (they always run out before midday in my town, and I'm fairly confident my boss wouldn't be sympathetic to me running out for 15 minutes every morning to collect Lego models) - and I'd have to pay the £9 postage. Add that to the cost of buying the papers (around £6), I thought I'd be best putting the £15 towards a larger set that I really wanted.

I realised this was my situation on Friday. I'm feeling a bit depressed over the thought that I'm so poor, I've spent this long mulling over a £15 purchase (and concluded I can't afford it).

In better news, I've dug out some tiny sets from when I was a child (blatantly spending pocket money at Woolworths toys) and found 6503 - Sprint Racer, 6508 - Wave Racer, 6509 - Red Devil Racer and 6531 - Flame Chaser.

There's quite a few instruction manuals in the box too (mostly town stuff from the 80s) that weren't mine, and alas the Lego pieces I have don't seem to match up. I was a bit bummed out that I wouldn't get to build some of the retro stuff but I guess I've been pretty lucky that I was such a tidy kid and all of the sets that were mine are pristine. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I cannot believe someone managed to pull off a model of Brook, the musical afro skeleton from One Piece. Aside from the fairly withered afro, but he probably couldn't stand up with an afro made of Legos with those spindly legs.

For reference:

Those feet are divine

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah it sucks that there are no WH Smiths near where I work. It would take half my lunch break every day to collect these.

I'm back and forth on whether to go with the postage option. Works out at about £1.30 a set and some of them are pretty cool.

But my kid won't be on proper lego for a year or 2. I like the idea of stashing these somewhere for a rainy day sometime in the future. If I get all of these special sets between now and then it'll probably be quite a haul. And if it turns out he doesn't like Lego (shudder) I can always ebay them or something.

Here's a picture of the sets for anyone who is interested: http://www.mirror.co.uk/lego/free-toys/ If you do have a WH Smiths near and you're just paying the cost of the paper it's like 40p a set which is a bargain.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah it sucks that there are no WH Smiths near where I work. It would take half my lunch break every day to collect these.

I'm back and forth on whether to go with the postage option. Works out at about £1.30 a set and some of them are pretty cool.

But my kid won't be on proper lego for a year or 2. I like the idea of stashing these somewhere for a rainy day sometime in the future. If I get all of these special sets between now and then it'll probably be quite a haul. And if it turns out he doesn't like Lego (shudder) I can always ebay them or something.

Here's a picture of the sets for anyone who is interested: http://www.mirror.co.uk/lego/free-toys/ If you do have a WH Smiths near and you're just paying the cost of the paper it's like 40p a set which is a bargain.

I think the mini sub and piranha at least are also available in the states as little trick-or-treat kits. I saw those two at Target.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Still works in progress but I got my Technic treads and chain for my birthday, along with the Indiana Jones jungle cutter (which I built and then immediately tore apart and started scavenging for parts).

I like the 2 chain method for narrow tracks, it looks great.

Wide tracks on the first draft of my King Tiger which I'm going to tear down and start over today. Some of my gray pieces are 25-30 years old and in need of a soak in mild bleach. EDIT: This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Sorry about the image spam everybody, but I thought I'd take a portion of my 2010 LEGO budget to the now-defunct office photo table and see what I could get (I am by no means a photographer):

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

:rock: Hell yes! http://www.blind-guardian.com/2010/10/25/and-then-there-was-lego/

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Some of my gray pieces are 25-30 years old and in need of a soak in mild bleach. EDIT: This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.

Don't use bleach. That has the potential to outright destroy bricks, or at least ruin their color altogether. What you want is to do this: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Essentially a water/hydrogen peroxide solution and UV light.

Also, while smoking households can yellow bricks more, the main causes of yellowed bricks (and plastics in general) are sunlight/UV and simple age. I've seen old computers that have squares of unyellowed plastic or paint where the monitor was sitting, and I've also seen SNESes where the plastic has yellowed inside and out, regardless of sun. Advertising as coming from a non-smoking household is really just saying "These won't smell horrible when you open the bin".

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I can't find the article online but some school in some town near me built a little Legoland play area in honor of a kid who died of heart failure, so that's kind of cute.

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004
Texas lego goons! HEB Plus still occasionally has some mini figs. I scored myself a spartan while pumpkin shopping today and there were plenty left over.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EvilJoven posted:

Wide tracks on the first draft of my King Tiger which I'm going to tear down and start over today. Some of my gray pieces are 25-30 years old and in need of a soak in mild bleach. EDIT: This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.

Looks more like a T-34.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whatever it's going to end up resembling when finished, version 2 already looks a hell of a lot better than version 1.

Just squeezed in the driver and radio operator positions.

This took me a long time to get right.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 26, 2010

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I agree, the 2-chain method looks way better than the regular track.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Testro posted:

I was debating doing the Daily Mirror thing, until I realised that I wouldn't be able to get the models from WH Smith (they always run out before midday in my town, and I'm fairly confident my boss wouldn't be sympathetic to me running out for 15 minutes every morning to collect Lego models) - and I'd have to pay the £9 postage. Add that to the cost of buying the papers (around £6), I thought I'd be best putting the £15 towards a larger set that I really wanted.
Went to Toys R Us yesterday after work - got there about 6 and they said they'd sold out at about 5. Didn't bother trying today as it was raining and I was cycling instead of driving. I think it's too late to try for 8 tokens now which sucks. You're probably right about putting the £15 towards something else anyway.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got 90% of the way through the main part of the tank when I realized I'd hit a small snag; the driver and radio operator hatches won't open when the turret is attached. I'm going to have to tear the thing down and make it at least 4 studs longer, which requires changing pretty much everything..

I figured I'd finish it up as it is first to see how it'd look now with a few finishing touches. I know it's not 10K views on Mocpages quality but I impressed myself and figured out a few tricks along the way.

The engine compartment is more or less the same, I didn't bother adding much to it seeing as I'm rebuilding. The 2 1x1 cyls hold up the rear of the top deck.

Driver and radio operators positions didn't change, but it does show how I used that piece in the bottom left corner (no idea what it's called) to hold the deck on.

The hull with the driver and radio operator turned out.

Fat rear end tank.

Gunner/Commander looking through the front of the turret. I need to add a dark tinted 1x2 window there. The whole thing sits on top of a 4x4 turntable.

And in place, turret off.

Complete with the commander turned out.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

EvilJoven posted:

This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.
I thought it was because nobody wants to open up a bag of bricks they got off of ebay or Bricklink and get a face full of cigarette odor. I've had it happen to me and it sucks.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

That would explain why all my Classic Space stuff from my older brother is yellowed, that was played with the very most while my mom was still smoking. I just figured it was because it was old.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, does anyone know how to become one of the master model builder guys that build the huge lego sculptures around legoland and at the bigger lego stores?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, does anyone know how to become one of the master model builder guys that build the huge lego sculptures around legoland and at the bigger lego stores?

At the Lego Discovery Center in Manchester it was a competition/audition process. There's obviously a lot of milleage in the publicity/marketing aspect to the "Master Model Builder" stuff because of the whole "dream job" status.

No idea for the people making the big models behind the scenes though.

Edit: Actually just read a little bit more on it and apparently he also did a lot of the large models as part of his job.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 27, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

snortpocket posted:

Sorry about the image spam everybody, but I thought I'd take a portion of my 2010 LEGO budget to the now-defunct office photo table and see what I could get (I am by no means a photographer):
Your only crime is using Waffleimages to post links to 640x480 pics. ;) They look fantastic.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
:aaaaa:

Click here for the full 1496x1512 image.

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/233349

This guy has made some awesome stuff and I wish I had half the lego funds he has.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

tonelok posted:

I thought it was because nobody wants to open up a bag of bricks they got off of ebay or Bricklink and get a face full of cigarette odor. I've had it happen to me and it sucks.

That and cigarette smoke will discolor plastic, especially with white plastic turning yellow.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

InfinEight posted:

:aaaaa:

Click here for the full 1496x1512 image.

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/233349

This guy has made some awesome stuff and I wish I had half the lego funds he has.

Used non-Lego pieces; disqualified

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Sockser posted:

Uhm, okay?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Sockser posted:

No, he didn't. Try again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

quote:

@Benjamin Sardine: Non-LEGO parts? On my creation? Where? If you're referring to the cloth elements, which is what I assume you're referring to, they are 100% official. Search Bricklink, they're there...

That loving hat, jesus christ

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That loving hat, jesus christ

This hat?

What's unofficial about it?

(Although the set technically seems good, I just don't like the theme/look of it all.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually I was saying I was blown away by it. Because it's amazing. The whole thing is, but that hat is really outstanding and ties the whole thing together.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
What are the long wedge pieces? I can't figure them out. And what in blazes are the 'ears' connected to?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

What I want to know is - what is it? Is it from some Japanese cartoon or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

What I want to know is - what is it? Is it from some Japanese cartoon or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki

Most likely just a completely original thing. I don't recall ever hearing about a giant Tanuki robot, except for this guy(the description for the toy is priceless).

afflictionwisp posted:

What are the long wedge pieces? I can't figure them out. And what in blazes are the 'ears' connected to?

I believe I've seen those wedge pieces in Mars Mission sets, on the alien fighters. Maybe try checking Bricklink's inventories on sets with Martian craft in them to find the part, then what sets had gray versions of them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 28, 2010

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The fuzzy brown shoulder thingies are totally non-Lego

...aren't they :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
I think all the cloth elements are large figure capes, e.g. the black shorts are two capes from the Technic Darth Vader. I'm not so sure about the furry brown bits but I'm sure I've seen them before in a Lego context.