Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Nikon D80 1/250 at F/8.0 iso100, 18mm.

Just getting into DSLR and actual photography from almost a lifetime of point and shoots, so please be brutal :D Light retouching in lightroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Lando posted:

Just getting into DSLR and actual photography from almost a lifetime of point and shoots, so please be brutal :D Light retouching in lightroom.

I´m no expert but I like the warmth of the sand compared to the cold colors of the sky. I would have gone rule of thirds with the horizon for more beach in the picture though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Lando posted:

The angle is a little awkward - can't see the waves coming into the beach, almost as if you are standing behind a hill, but I don't think you are. You either should have been up (altitude) a bit more or moved forward a bit. Maybe the beach is just a touch underexposed which makes them hard to see.

Like above said, a little more of the beach would have been nice, it feels crammed in as an afterthought almost.

I like the shot though, the sky looks great.

subx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 19, 2010

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

subx posted:

The angle is a little awkward - can't see the waves coming into the beach, almost as if you are standing behind a hill, but I don't think you are. You either should have been up (altitude) a bit more or moved forward a bit. Maybe the beach is just a touch underexposed which makes them hard to see.

Like above said, a little more of the beach would have been nice, it feels crammed in as an afterthought almost.

I like the shot though, the sky looks great.

You've never seen a Va. Beach beach evidently, the locals motto is 'we have no waves'. But yeah, I was up on the boardwalk and zoomed in a bit to avoid some hideous tents they had set up for an event. The beach curves down a tad to the water.

I just read some info on the 'rule of thirds', so now I know better about framing my shots. Hopefully I will pick up some better shots this weekend. Thanks for the words of advice :)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Lando posted:

You've never seen a Va. Beach beach evidently, the locals motto is 'we have no waves'. But yeah, I was up on the boardwalk and zoomed in a bit to avoid some hideous tents they had set up for an event. The beach curves down a tad to the water.

I just read some info on the 'rule of thirds', so now I know better about framing my shots. Hopefully I will pick up some better shots this weekend. Thanks for the words of advice :)

Fair enough then.

I'd give the beach a little more exposure to make it pop out a bit more since you aren't going to get much in the way of surf.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lando posted:

You've never seen a Va. Beach beach evidently, the locals motto is 'we have no waves'.

West coasters usually don't understand this, they're used to wind coming in off the water which contributes a lot to the busy shoreline. East coast has the wind coming in off the land usually.. so no waves to speak of.

quote:

I personally think the shot is fine.. the clouds are interesting, and I'm a huge sucker for clouds, so that's probably why I like it. Gives a clean "this is what it was like to be here" feel.

What does bug me though is the image being concave.. the horizon is higher at the edges than the center. I might not notice it if there was some color in the image, but when you've got just sand and sky, the lens distortion really pops out.

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
H R,

Supreme, sir. You are good at this craft.

H

Hotwax Residue posted:

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Some recent shots from Yellowstone and Tetons. Full set can be seen here:
http://phononphotography.com/p864977930

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Col. Mustard posted:

All of them are pretty solid, but I'll bet there's a good reason why this one got posted first. :drat:

---

This place has some serious potential. I'll probably show up 30 minutes earlier next time.

Elk Mountain (morning) by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

And then some B&W conversions:

boulders and stuff by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Vertical at Charon's Edge by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

quazi fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 25, 2010

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Col. Mustard posted:

Hey there fall color GTNP buddy!

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Leviathor posted:

Hey there fall color GTNP buddy!

Great light!

Wish I could have made it there for a morning shot, but we were based in West Yellowstone, so the best I could do was a mid-afternoon session. 4 days is just not enough to shoot Yellowstone and the GT.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Jealous of everyone's fall colours :(

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Just got back from a week on Skye.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2010

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Holistic Detective posted:

Bloddy hell. Why do I even try anymore. :pwn:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quazi posted:

Bloddy hell. Why do I even try anymore. :pwn:

Really.. is the rainbow shot pure luck, or did you actually plan this?

Is there some way to read the weather and get a feel when neat opportunities will show up? Or is it purely "I was out taking a walk and suddenly a rainbow appeared"?

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Well if the weather report says sun and light showers you probably stand a reasonable chance of catching rainbows but that particular shot was a total fluke.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Check it out: He got that photo because he was trying. He says it's a fluke, but he was looking for photos. Just didn't plan the rainbow.

But you can.

(rainbows: get on the west side of retreating showers in the afternoon. Is there a forecast of showers moving past that perfect spot? Be there.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Interrupting Moss posted:

(rainbows: get on the west side of retreating showers in the afternoon. Is there a forecast of showers moving past that perfect spot? Be there.)

That's kind of what I'm after. What other kind of weather conditions make for good opportunities?

Heavy rains? Cold fronts? Warm fronts?

To put this in context, I've spent most of the past two months visiting the same spot every day, watching the scene. I think there's a good shot in there somewhere, but either the skies are perfectly clear or the light isn't quite warm enough.

I'm just curious if experienced landscape photographers have learned tricks for improving their odds of a nice scene.

I know SOME of them can do this.. there was a particularly nice sunset a week or so ago.. a couple lines of clouds, deep purples, that sort of thing. And a legion of photographers with ridiculous quantities of gear suddenly showed up and started snapping shots. There's no way they could have just been driving past, it's not a public location so they had to have prepared to come there.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

That's kind of what I'm after. What other kind of weather conditions make for good opportunities?

Heavy rains? Cold fronts? Warm fronts?

To put this in context, I've spent most of the past two months visiting the same spot every day, watching the scene. I think there's a good shot in there somewhere, but either the skies are perfectly clear or the light isn't quite warm enough.

I'm just curious if experienced landscape photographers have learned tricks for improving their odds of a nice scene.

I know SOME of them can do this.. there was a particularly nice sunset a week or so ago.. a couple lines of clouds, deep purples, that sort of thing. And a legion of photographers with ridiculous quantities of gear suddenly showed up and started snapping shots. There's no way they could have just been driving past, it's not a public location so they had to have prepared to come there.

Of course they have planned for it. Not every spot looks good in the same weather though, so you have to know what to look for in a particular spot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

subx posted:

Of course they have planned for it. Not every spot looks good in the same weather though, so you have to know what to look for in a particular spot.

That's exactly what I'm asking. Where did they get this insight?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Spending time scouting the area. You will also get an idea of what conditions will make a good sunset/sunrise. You also know what direction the sun will rise and set so you can figure out if it is a "morning" or "afternoon" location as well. You can also use other peoples photos to do some of the scouting for you, look on the maps on flickr or search for the location and there is a chance there will be pictures of it. Another good resource is google/bing maps.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Some new stuff. I have really fallen behind in my scanning.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

What kind of film is this?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

What kind of film is this?

That is Portra NC 160.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Went to Hovenweep National Monument

I wish there was water here in the Southwest, Dread Head and scottch's look too cool :(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BulimicGoat posted:

Went to Hovenweep National Monument

I wish there was water here in the Southwest, Dread Head and scottch's look too cool :(

You can still take cool landscapes without water, that said I seem to be drawn towards the water.

Your shots are interesting and the sky is awesome. I probably would have shot some wider ones or something to give the ruins a bit more context, I think this would make them more interesting than they are now.

savedbySTEAM
Jan 7, 2009
The Grand Canyon after snowfall in February.

Topanga Canyon at sunrise.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Are you using an ND on all of your water shots?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

Are you using an ND on all of your water shots?

On a lot of them, not always but pretty often I use an ND8 filter.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Well, here is a 4x5 shot of the pacific ocean from San Simeon, CA. Kodak E100G. Saturation looks a little jacked up on my computer so I need to mess with it more before I get it printed.

Sunset in San Simeon, CA by cmmatt, on Flickr

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Icicles at sunset by johnm3000, on Flickr

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
I had the fortune to attend a workshop at the Point Reyes National Seashore a couple weeks ago. This is a gorgeous area, with so many photographic scenes, it was hard to decide what to post. The full set can be viewed at:

http://phononphotography.com/p701607913

Here is a few samples. Critiques and criticisms are welcome and encouraged.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Col. Mustard posted:

This one: :gizz:

The rest: :flaccid:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
The best part about the first shot is I just walked straight until I got to cliff, sat down, and waited an hour or two. Now to borrow the 80-200 2.8 from work...

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Ringo R posted:

This one: :gizz:

The rest: :flaccid:

Thanks for the feedback. Helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01