Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

seo posted:

Whats worse is being stuck with people like this in your academic teams. Not only do they not care about the class and likely only show up for quizzes and tests, if even that, but also probably will eventually stop doing their part of the homework. And yet somehow they always end up passing the class. So frustrating

If you want to have fun in college, don't be an engineer. Or at least spend another year in college. I'm on year 6 and had my fun in the first 2 :)

Are you bitter or something? Why shouldn't engineering students who can pass without trying hard have some fun? And why spend more time in college? What a bizarre post.

Also people are still way too caught up on GPA in a world where connections matter more than anything. I know as engineers we'd like to think we live in a meritocracy and that hard work pays off but it really doesn't most of the time, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Zo posted:

Are you bitter or something? Why shouldn't engineering students who can pass without trying hard have some fun? And why spend more time in college? What a bizarre post.

Also people are still way too caught up on GPA in a world where connections matter more than anything. I know as engineers we'd like to think we live in a meritocracy and that hard work pays off but it really doesn't most of the time, sorry.

Here is a case study (the details here are real):

Friend A has a 3.9GPA, Friend B has a 2.8, both of them are looking for an internship. A Gets over a dozen interviews, several offers and eventually takes one making ~$20/hr. B gets 2 interviews, one offer and makes $16/hr. So I guess decide if a %20 pay cut and no choice of where you work is worth it or not.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Zo posted:

Obviously you were "that guy" in group projects.

Connections are at least as good as grades, but most people don't have real connections until after they've done a couple internships.

Getting internships with no grades and no connections is really hard right now.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Friend A has a 3.9GPA, Friend B has a 2.8, both of them are looking for an internship. A Gets over a dozen interviews, several offers and eventually takes one making ~$20/hr. B gets 2 interviews, one offer and makes $16/hr. So I guess decide if a %20 pay cut and no choice of where you work is worth it or not.

I'm making far more than either :)

Actually I made more than that at some of my co-op jobs. Looks like I win at anecdotes.

slorb posted:

Obviously you were "that guy" in group projects.

Connections are at least as good as grades, but most people don't have real connections until after they've done a couple internships.

Getting internships with no grades and no connections is really hard right now.

No, sorry, I did fantastic work in group projects. And connections aren't hard when you have friends. It's not like you have to know the person, knowing someone who knows someone is enough most of the time. And hahhahaha "at least as good as grades", connections are FAR FAR more important than grades.

Zo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 28, 2010

Panzer Pirate
Sep 7, 2005
Sieg Heil Me' Hearties

Zo posted:

A lot of people don't need to do any homework :)

What?

Zo posted:

And connections aren't hard when you have friends. It's not like you have to know the person, knowing someone who knows someone is enough most of the time.

What? Maybe your buddies all have CEOs for parents, but the rest of us tend to be stuck with the following plan:
Step 1: Get decent enough grades to get a good internship.
Step 2: NOW you have connections.
Step 3: Career, etc.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Maybe you should make more friends instead of spending 10 hours in the library everyday during undergrad so you have connections for jobs by the time you graduate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 10, 2023

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I agree with all that, but you're not going to get anywhere shutting yourself in and jerking off over your 4.0 GPA then crying about not having a job. Not you specifically, since you realize that your decent grades didn't help you much if at all. Yes a big part of it is luck but you can also make your own luck by meeting more people.

rear end in a top hat? Sure, but I'm also just being realistic here, as someone who already went through all that. And by the way only my parents are in canada and they barely speak english, so no networking from them unfortunately. Make your own :)

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Zo posted:

I agree with all that, but you're not going to get anywhere shutting yourself in and jerking off over your 4.0 GPA then crying about not having a job. Not you specifically, since you realize that your decent grades didn't help you much if at all. Yes a big part of it is luck but you can also make your own luck by meeting more people.

rear end in a top hat? Sure, but I'm also just being realistic here, as someone who already went through all that. And by the way only my parents are in canada and they barely speak english, so no networking from them unfortunately. Make your own :)

Some of us aren't looking for jobs right out of undergraduate, but want to go to graduate or professional school, where GPA cutoffs are a real thing. Connections didn't help me nearly as much as raw numbers and scores, and I've hooked into plenty of good networks since going to grad school (going to an Ivy helped a lot in this area too; really the only actual advantage of attending an Ivy).

I do agree that obsessing over getting a 3.8-4.0 with no plans for post-graduate education is a little dumb.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Pfirti86 posted:

Some of us aren't looking for jobs right out of undergraduate, but want to go to graduate or professional school, where GPA cutoffs are a real thing. Connections didn't help me nearly as much as raw numbers and scores, and I've hooked into plenty of good networks since going to grad school (going to an Ivy helped a lot in this area too; really the only actual advantage of attending an Ivy).

I do agree that obsessing over getting a 3.8-4.0 with no plans for post-graduate education is a little dumb.

I completely agree. If you're aiming for grad school you need good grades, or fantastic grades if you're aiming for law/medical. In the latter case shutting yourself in is almost mandatory, if my friends studying for the mcat were any indication.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You don't even have to shut yourself in to get decent grades. I'm in a couple of clubs on campus, I rarely go to bed before 1am or so on weeknights and I don't stay in to study on the weekends either. There is plenty of time to have an active social life and good grades if you actually sit down and do your work.

This doesn't apply if you work full time or something, but you can make enough on coops so you don't have to work during school.

I can't remember where, but somebody made a good point by saying that most college students have obscene amounts of free time. Engineering students have somewhat less, but that still comes out to a ton of free time.

Just of curiosity what sort of contacts are you making during your undergrad? I imagine using professors to get you a job would founder if you don't go to class and get Ds.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
At our school we had 6 co-op terms spread out throughout undergrad (the first one being after 4 months of classes!) so everyone's worked at tons of places. I got 2 jobs directly through friends who worked at the place before - asked for a simple email introducing me, and another job through a prof who I did a term of research with. After that I had enough experience/seniority to have my pick of co-op jobs essentially. Very different from the kind of business contacts I'm making now by being in the industry, but extremely valuable nonetheless.

But no I didn't really get to know most of my actual profs. By my last year I was going to maybe one in three classes.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
You act like a tremendous dickhead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I got a 2.5 and I make $10/hr with 4 years of experience!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I had a 2.8 and I currently make $0/hr so you should probably study more. I did have a blast in college though and don't regret a second of the fun I had. I do however, regret being horrible at taking tests.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
How the gently caress to you graduate with an engineering degree and make $10 per hour?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

AnomalousBoners posted:

How the gently caress to you graduate with an engineering degree and make $10 per hour?

I work 120+ hrs/week and I'm on salary.

Join the oilfield kids!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
OHHHH I was expecting you to say you worked for EA Games. What was your major?

korgy
Sep 16, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Join the oilfield kids!

I have worked in the oilfield since July as my first engineering job. The pay was good but the hours were just ridiculous. I just got offered another job in the Aerospace industry accepted it without hesitation. I even will start out making less money but it's what I want to do.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

ch3cooh posted:

Join the oilfield kids!
poo poo, and I get upset if I have to work fridays!

I don't think I've worked 3 fridays all year, and those were in places like Japan and Puerto Rico. Working for the government sometimes has its perks :)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

AnomalousBoners posted:

OHHHH I was expecting you to say you worked for EA Games. What was your major?

Petroleum Engineering. I'm doing what I love. I've been drilling and completing two wells since Memorial Day. And even though I get paid poo poo by the hour there is more than likely a significant raise and bonus for completing a project of this magnitude (first two horizontal shale wells ever drilled in this basin).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 10, 2023

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

That's pretty bad rear end. I had always been under the impression that petroleum engineers that did the kind of stuff you are describing made a shitload more than $60,000 a year though. Have I been lied to?

Sorry I was doing math on how much I make while watching a frac job get pumped. It's about $10/hr ATAX

Panzer Pirate
Sep 7, 2005
Sieg Heil Me' Hearties

Zo posted:

Maybe you should make more friends instead of spending 10 hours in the library everyday during undergrad so you have connections for jobs by the time you graduate.

You're not making too many friends in this thread. I can't tell if you're trolling or just a dickhead.

ch3cooh posted:

Petroleum Engineering.

That looks pretty sweet, but why is the pay so low? That's literally worse than Mcdonalds. Is it because so much time is spent just waiting for machines to do their jobs?

Panzer Pirate fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 29, 2010

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

Zo posted:

At our school we had 6 co-op terms spread out throughout undergrad (the first one being after 4 months of classes!) so everyone's worked at tons of places. I got 2 jobs directly through friends who worked at the place before - asked for a simple email introducing me, and another job through a prof who I did a term of research with. After that I had enough experience/seniority to have my pick of co-op jobs essentially. Very different from the kind of business contacts I'm making now by being in the industry, but extremely valuable nonetheless.

But no I didn't really get to know most of my actual profs. By my last year I was going to maybe one in three classes.

If my school helped me get 6 co-ops I wouldnt worry about grades either

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Panzer Pirate posted:

You're not making too many friends in this thread. I can't tell if you're trolling or just a dickhead.
That's ok, seems like there are a lot of, uh, loser engineers I guess? in this thread, not worth networking with :)

seo posted:

If my school helped me get 6 co-ops I wouldnt worry about grades either
Start working on your resume and get some interviews then?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

That makes a lot more sense. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of bonus is considered "normal" once you get a project like that completed? I'd have to think it would be a hefty percentage of one's salary. My frame of reference in the defense industry is that we'll usually get a bonus anywhere between a couple hundred and a couple thousand (depending on the project size and how big your role was) whenever we cross a big project milestone.

More careerwise, is it normal to be an onsite guy working insane hours for a whole career, or is it more of a "putting in your time" for like 5 years and then move into a more cushy assignment at the company headquarters?

Prob 20K cash plus stock.

I had a cushy job in the office and when this project came up I jumped at the chance to be back in the field. People who go into drilling are pretty different people. We have very little patience for politics, drama, meetings and other general office bullshit. Long term my field time will be closer to 25% of my year but I love it out here.

A helicopter we're using on another project out here stopped by today and took me for a ride here are some pictures of what our operations look like right now.

This is our working location. We have 50 500 barrel (21,000 gallon) frac tanks, 4 open top flowback tanks, 5 sand containers, 2 acid transports, more chemical totes than I can count, a wireline truck, 2 pumpdown pumptrucks, 9 2000 hhp frac pumps, a 120 ton crane, 2 flowback units, a blender, a hydration unit, 2 centrifugal pumps capable of 69,000 gpm, a coiled tubing unit w/ 17,000' of 2" tubing, a nitrogen transport, a nitrogen pump, and a backup blender

This is where we are drawing water from a nearby lake and filtering it before sending it down the line

This is our location where we stage water before it goes to the working location

We are monitoring our frac treatment with microseismic in this well

Home sweet home

The only location not in this shot is the staging location. It's awesome to work in such a beautiful area

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Panzer Pirate posted:

That looks pretty sweet, but why is the pay so low? That's literally worse than Mcdonalds. Is it because so much time is spent just waiting for machines to do their jobs?

The pay is actually really good, it's just that I'm working in the field and I'm on salary. A drilling rig runs 24 hrs/day and I would be up directing those operations 18-20 of those hours. Our completion operations are currently average 18 hours a day with me supervising all of them

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
To whoever has been asking about environmental engineering, I'm a senior at a Canadian school. The work is extremely varied, I think of it as a broad but shallow field. There's a lot of work in site assessments, contaminated site remediation, air quality regulations, storm water management, anywhere you have drinking water a licensed environmental engineer is there, and the largest field, waste water.

One of my co-op jobs was doing QA/QC for a landfill construction. It was really a geotech's job but I have the soil mechanics knowledge to do it reasonably, and understand the risks that come from landfill developments that a geotech may not. To say that all you do is environmental impact assessments is definitely a shallow view. I've got friends who just do GIS stuff all day for agricultural soil/water assessments, others that do GHG accounting for the government. It varies.

Also, suggesting you shouldn't sweat too hard learning what you're paying to go to school for is pretty :rolleyes:. There is a balance, but if you don't understand that engineering requires more time investment than a BA (just looking at my 1.5-2x class hours to my roommates), you are probably a lovely student and will not be getting nearly the education of your peers.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

ch3cooh posted:

Petroleum Engineering. I'm doing what I love. I've been drilling and completing two wells since Memorial Day. And even though I get paid poo poo by the hour there is more than likely a significant raise and bonus for completing a project of this magnitude (first two horizontal shale wells ever drilled in this basin).

Sup oil services buddy :hfive:

What kinda drill bits you using :smugbert:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Sup oil services buddy :hfive:

What kinda drill bits you using :smugbert:

Not on the service side, on the operator side so I'm double :smugbert:

We used Smithberger on these wells, tri-cones for building the curve and surface hole, and PDCs for the intermediate to KOP and the lateral.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I agree with the GPA vs. connections thing. I tried going the honest route for an internship with my gpa, for years, that didn't work. Eventually I used and abused some family connections and got some work with a large engineering firm.

If you want to use 'connections' they have be quite strong. IE they are willing to put their reputation on the line for you. And you have to be a hard worker, if you screw up, it's their rear end too.

Just being 'friends' with the guy doesn't cut it. They have to be willing to vouch and take responsibility for you.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Zo posted:

That's ok, seems like there are a lot of, uh, loser engineers I guess? in this thread, not worth networking with :)

While I am sure you are right about how much more important connections are to GPA, you are still being a complete rear end in a top hat. Thanks for the advice though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The funny thing about engineering is that if you are not employed as an engineer right out of school you will suck rear end when you lose your edge; and it is inevitable that you will lose your edge.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I'm not too worried about "losing my edge" besides the summer with my internship I didn't have too much trouble getting back into it after a summer of doing nothing engineering related. I do want to get a job as soon as possible though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
A butter knife never needs to worry about losing its edge. :3:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
:drat:

I guess I'll be ok then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baloogan posted:

The funny thing about engineering is that if you are not employed as an engineer right out of school you will suck rear end when you lose your edge; and it is inevitable that you will lose your edge.

This also applies to managers who used to be engineers. It sucks when a PM tries to do engineering after they've been out of it for several years.