Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Football is a ratings juggernaut. Premiering your new show against it would not be ideal. Not to mention that both share the same key demographic (Males, 18-34).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
True, and perhaps they thought airing it on Halloween would be...

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 28, 2010

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
If you don't see the correlation between a barely animate shambling corpse and Brett Favre I don't know what to tel you.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gassire posted:

If you don't see the correlation between a barely animate shambling corpse and Brett Favre I don't know what to tel you.

Zombies can't use cell phones.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

Gassire posted:

Zombies would throw less interceptions.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How does TWD fare if you find most of the tenets of Romero-style zombies painfully outdated? I read ~20% of the compendium today at my local bookstore, and I had a lot of trouble connecting with the survivors, because I knew most of them would eventually foolishly get eaten, or fight amongst themselves, or destroy their surroundings so that the otherwise-harmless zombies can come in.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MisterBibs posted:

How does TWD fare if you find most of the tenets of Romero-style zombies painfully outdated? I read ~20% of the compendium today at my local bookstore, and I had a lot of trouble connecting with the survivors, because I knew most of them would eventually foolishly get eaten, or fight amongst themselves, or destroy their surroundings so that the otherwise-harmless zombies can come in.

It's actually fairly good about that, with external forces causing most of the conflict. Not to say they don't bitch and fight amongst themselves but it rarely, if ever, turns out like the climax to Dead Set for example.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Then again.. isn't that the whole purpose of a zombie film? To reflect on the fact that we're the real monsters in the situation and that while a flesh eating death lays out in the world, we have more to fear from internal struggle and how many snap at the whole concept of society breaking down?

I'm not sure how you can updated it. And don't tell me fast moving zombies. I find that as a 'why even bother, let me eat a bullet' situation. As they're always used as a shock scare or just so overwhelming that it's not even worth it.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn
The Walking Dead isn't really about the breaking down of society as much as its about what kind of society can survive in a zombie apocalypse, which is what makes the book interesting and not just dumb zombie stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Then again.. isn't that the whole purpose of a zombie film? To reflect on the fact that we're the real monsters in the situation...

No matter how many movies I see, the answer is always the same. It's the zombies. The zombies are the real monsters. You can tell by a lack of decay and better grooming among the survivors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jack Skeleton posted:

Then again.. isn't that the whole purpose of a zombie film? To reflect on the fact that we're the real monsters in the situation and that while a flesh eating death lays out in the world, we have more to fear from internal struggle and how many snap at the whole concept of society breaking down?

My answer is the same answer I gave the Youtube-Video-Of-The-Dead-Whose-Name-I-Can't-Remember: No, we're not the monsters, the aforementioned flesh-eating zombies are the real monsters. See Just Here For Godzilla.

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm not sure how you can update it. And don't tell me fast moving zombies. I find that as a 'why even bother, let me eat a bullet' situation. As they're always used as a shock scare or just so overwhelming that it's not even worth it.

Therein lies the actual terror I want to get out of a zombie property, which is why I asked if TWD eventually gets to that point. Where I fear the actual zombies and what they can do, not what boneheaded infighting or Retarded Human Bad Guy does to screw up the existing good things they got going on.

Christ on a cracker, right now they are in a safe location, and Rick wants to steal the goddamn guns?!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
First of all, what you're describing is a feeling that your bored or don't connect with these situations, not that they're "outdated." It's not like people in the 70's were more likely to crack under pressure or do dumb things in horror movies than people are today. Date has nothing to do with it.

Secondly, I think the series does a great job of alternating between other people and the zombies being the biggest threat. Every time it seems like they're safe, some outside force screws it up for them (though bad decision making can play a role in it, it's never your typical scary movie "don't open the door you goddamn idiot" kind of stupidity), whether that's another group of people or the zombies themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is that the danger never feels forced. It's never that typical zombie movie moment where someone freaks out and tears down the barricade or starts killing the other people there right before the zombies come to finish the job. It has always felt organic to me as I've been reading the series almost since it started (I think I have all but the first 15 or so issues in single issue format because I've been reading it monthly).

Rick wants to steal the guns because he doesn't trust these people. He's had to rely on himself for too long to believe that this random group of strangers can be entrusted with the safety of himself, his son, and the group that has become his surrogate family.

If you haven't been reading the series up to this point, you definitely don't want to start with a random issue. Hell, just knowing who is alive now and who isn't is a huuuuge spoiler that will ruin some of the great "HOLY poo poo" moments in the series. If you have some interest in it, pick up the first trade. It's cheap and there are a million copies out there thanks to the TV series starting up later today. If you like it, buy the second book. If you don't, then don't. Read until it is no longer enjoyable or you catch up, whichever comes first.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, they do touch on the threat that a full on zombie horde offers when they're going to Washington D.C., but the whole point of zombies was never to be running. Much like death, it's slow and no matter what, you're not going to escape no matter where or how fast you run.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I do hope the Community survives for a least a little while longer. Be a bit annoying to have all the supporting cast end up as zombie fodder again.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I do hope the Community survives for a least a little while longer. Be a bit annoying to have all the supporting cast end up as zombie fodder again.

True. But I'm looking forward to seeing the Preacher and that pseudo-scientist gently caress get eaten.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Aww.. I felt bad for the science teacher. I could understand where he's coming from. But I think he's underestimating his usefulness. I mean, look at all the people he helped patch up.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

foxatee posted:

Aww.. I felt bad for the science teacher. I could understand where he's coming from. But I think he's underestimating his usefulness. I mean, look at all the people he helped patch up.

I think he could be useful to make some anti-zombie things. Plus, a knowledge of chemistry would be very useful in a community. But, he was a gigantic douche by lying to everyone, so he's going to get eaten. Well, I'd bet money he dies soon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, the group was kind of retarded for believing him in the first place.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

"Are you scared of me?"

"No."

Holy poo poo.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, the group was kind of retarded for believing him in the first place.

Yeah, I guess. But, we already know they weren't it their right minds when they met him, and hope is a funny thing. They just lost their home, their friends, their family, and he offered them something so outrageous, it had to be true. I admit I had doubts about him when he first popped up, but I wanted him to be telling truth.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

CaptainPete posted:

Yeah, I guess. But, we already know they weren't it their right minds when they met him, and hope is a funny thing. They just lost their home, their friends, their family, and he offered them something so outrageous, it had to be true. I admit I had doubts about him when he first popped up, but I wanted him to be telling truth.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. I was pretty into him as a character and really wanted to see how things were going to go down. You're talking about bringing hope to them but man, he brought hope to me! I understand their disappointment in him and also his shame at the same time :(

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Speaking of that guy where the hell is he? Haven't seen him in like 6 issues.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
The show has turned out fantastic, I just loved the first episode. One thing I never really understood was this. In the original comic, why did the first artist decide to leave the series, having Tony Moore take over? I never really understood the reason, was it he was busy on other books? Didnt enjoy the project? Holding out for more money?

If anyone knows, I'm very curious for an answer. Sorry I forget his name, I'm sure you all know though. Again, it was the first artist paired with Kirkman on the WD who left, what was his reason?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Tony Moore is the original artist. It's probably because Walking Dead was always intended as a longterm investment that would've distracted Moore from other work.

Tony's definitely a better artist, but I think Charlie Adlard's mundane style is a better fit for the series than Moore's more stylized and exaggerated stuff from the early issues.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
I think Kirkman wrote something in the letters column about Moore just not being able to keep up a monthly schedule long term and they parted on good terms.
It took awhile to get used to Adlard's take on the characters, but dude has done 70+ issues in a row and it sucks that he's always getting compared to Moore.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
How is it possible, for a major artist, who has great experience dealing with monthly schedules, going to pull out, because all the sudden it's to much work? That's what I don't understand. It's not like the guy did not know what he was signing on for.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Subways Jared posted:

How is it possible, for a major artist, who has great experience dealing with monthly schedules, going to pull out, because all the sudden it's to much work? That's what I don't understand. It's not like the guy did not know what he was signing on for.
Tony Moore was twenty-four when he started Walking Dead and was not super prolific at the time. He also is buddies with Kirkman from 7th grade. They're buddies, they like working with each other, he was a young guy, and then found out he was biting off more than he could chew.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I really like Adlard's art. I've binged through the entire series over the past month, and there's definitely a bit of a system shock getting used to the differences after the first arc, but at this point the series wouldn't be right without him. Moore is great, but the idea of getting married to a series probably just turned him off.

Art aside, the consistent quality of this series is absolutely unmatched. Every issue is great, and even the cannibal arc - probably one of the weakest of the series - was loving awesome. TAAINNNTEED MEAATTT!

Also:

"Huh. Looks like my sniper got yours."

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Adlard sketched a really cool zombie for me one year at con without any line or anyone around him.

He's a-okay in my book.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The tv show has brought people out of the woodwork who won't read the comics because they're in black and white. What the he'll does that even mean? I actually prefer black and white a lot of the time and the thought of someone's brain making that connection baffles me. I actually think the comic works best without lovely computer coloring ruining the great mood Moore and Adlard have managed to fill the pages of this series with.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 7, 2010

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I've always been annoyed with the whole "The book went to poo poo because Adlard is not Tony Moore"

Yes, we get it. Tony Moore is a much better artist but Adlard once getting his groove really does draw some nitty gritty zombies really well.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I find that Adlard's more mundane style fits the book much better than Moore's more cartoony looking style. That's not a slam against Moore either. I just think Adlard's a better fit.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Geekboy posted:

The tv show has brought people out of the woodwork who won't read the comics because they're in black and white. What the he'll does that even mean? I actually prefer black and white a lot of the time and the thought of someone's brain making that connection baffles me. I actually think the comic works best without lovely computer coloring ruining the great mood Moore and Adlard have managed to fill the pages of this series with.

These are the same people that won't watch Raging Bull because it's in black and white.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

choobs posted:

These are the same people that won't watch Raging Bull because it's in black and white.

Or, perhaps even more accurately: They're people who will only listen to music with sampling and computer generated beats because IT'S 2010 GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

Geekboy posted:

Or, perhaps even more accurately: They're people who will only listen to music with sampling and computer generated beats because IT'S 2010 GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

P-people like that actually EXIST?

:psyduck:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
After watching the second episode of the AMC series: Is it me, or does Lori seem like a slut? This is why I shouldn't watch adaptations :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tetris Crowley posted:

P-people like that actually EXIST?

:psyduck:

I've got a friend who refuses to watch The Twilight Zone because it's "too old".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've got a friend who refuses to watch The Twilight Zone because it's "too old".

I have a friend who won't watch Ghost Busters for that same reason.

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006

foxatee posted:

After watching the second episode of the AMC series: Is it me, or does Lori seem like a slut? This is why I shouldn't watch adaptations :(

Never liked that broad anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
Two questions. Why are they still your friend, and why haven't you made them into a ghost?

• Locked thread