Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Tshirt Ninja posted:

This is cool. Is all the light natural? How much post did you do? It almost feels like multiple exposures.

It's all natural light, yes, but I did do a lot of dodging/burning. For example, the moss: I dodged the highlights to blow them way out and burned any slight shadow to make them really dark, because I just loving love deep contrasts. I dodged my sister, but really only a tiny bit in the face, because that's what I had originally exposed for. I did have her move forward from her initial spot a couple of feet behind her, because I wanted stronger highlights outlining her. Then I just played with curves until I got the look I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?

MrBlandAverage posted:

Senior portraits!

I'm so bad at posing :smithicide:

e: noticed some artifacts on the first one.

The posing is actually pretty good on these, though the last one seems just slightly awkward. I wish you could have gotten a better smile out of her, because the shots themselves are really lovely but she looks like she has just a lame half-smile.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, I would have told her to keep her mouth shut. In a good way.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
I was asked to go take a few classroom shots of a faculty member yesterday, and instead turned it into my first on-location portrait shoot, with someone I had never met before!

I only had an hour to shoot, and get out of there, so I spent 20 minutes in the class taking some pretty mundane teaching shots, and then snuck out and setup lights in the hall. I found a nice skylight, and setup so he could stand under that. Unfortunately, without a tripod, or anyone to stand for me, I just eyeballed the lighting and positioning, and waited for him to dismiss the class.

He was pretty stiff, and had a fake smile, but after the first few shots, I got in his face with the camera, and mentioned how it was time for some awkward shots. This got him laughing and relaxed him a bit, and finally his real personality came out. Took about 10 shots in the course of 3 minutes and had what I needed. In hindsight, I wish I would have dragged the shutter a bit more to bring in the light from the skylight, but oh well.

Having some trouble with my monitor calibration, can't tell which has better levels.

Going to use these shots to pitch a direction for our forthcoming Annual Giving Report.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haven't had any time for portraiture for the past few weeks, but was able to squeeze in some time yesterday for this girl who wanted some swimsuit shots before it gets too cold. As it turns out, I had no idea how to pose this! (Didn't realize this was the sort of thing she wanted beforehand.) She didn't either, so it was sort of trial by fire.

These were all using natural evening light, as I've been using the same lighting setup rather repetitively and wanted to force myself to try something new.

IMG_8887 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9144 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9349 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9369 by RMK86, on Flickr

e: Fixed the HTML/BBcode mishap

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Haven't had any time for portraiture for the past few weeks, but was able to squeeze in some time yesterday for this girl who wanted some swimsuit shots before it gets too cold. As it turns out, I had no idea how to pose this! (Didn't realize this was the sort of thing she wanted beforehand.) She didn't either, so it was sort of trial by fire.

These were all using natural evening light, as I've been using the same lighting setup rather repetitively and wanted to force myself to try something new.

IMG_8887 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9144 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9349 by RMK86, on Flickr

IMG_9369 by RMK86, on Flickr

e: Fixed the HTML/BBcode mishap

I think the main issue is an inconstancy with the look of the model and the style you're trying to shoot.

The first one is probably the best. It's classic, it doesn't try to hard. Posing wise I would change the angle of the hip as it's pointing too far down and the pelvis is making a weird twist. It's hard to explain. I'm sorry.

The second shot - her face is trying to sell me girl scout cookies but the thumb in the bikini bottoms runs counter to that. Shooting from a top down angle hurts it as well.

The third shot is okay. I really love the water and sky in that, but with a bikini shot that's not what you're going for. I think hands on hips would have suited this more. The model doesn't quite pull of the sexy hands behind her head pose.

The fourth - the pose just kills it. Sorry.

Ultimately I think the problems are more with the model than you. She's more cute than sexy, except in the first images where she does a passable attempt at sexy.

Crossposting from SAD-

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paragon8 posted:

Ultimately I think the problems are more with the model than you. She's more cute than sexy, except in the first images where she does a passable attempt at sexy.

Was there a makeup artist on the shoot? I think that would have probably helped if there wasn't. The cuteness comes from the fact that she is either wearing very little makeup if any at all. Adding stuff like eye shadow, eyelashes and good lip color would go a long way to create a solidly sexy look. You can see in Paragon's photos how makeup really brings out the smouldering eyes of the model.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

HPL posted:

Was there a makeup artist on the shoot? I think that would have probably helped if there wasn't. The cuteness comes from the fact that she is either wearing very little makeup if any at all. Adding stuff like eye shadow, eyelashes and good lip color would go a long way to create a solidly sexy look. You can see in Paragon's photos how makeup really brings out the smouldering eyes of the model.

haha, you gave me a heart attack for a second because I thought you were asking about the makeup on my pictures at first.

Yeah, I strongly recommend using a makeup artist. I'm very hesitant about working without one these days. In addition to their obvious role, it's good to have another person on the shoot. Makes it feel more friendly in my opinion.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Newbie here! I haven't really tried portraits. I've found that I stick to landscapes and other non human things more because I guess I haven't really had the chance to photograph posed people. But I wanted to give it a shot and I had a free day today so asked a buddy to help me out. This was shot with my D3000 and kit lens so I'm fairly happy with this but really anything you can give me would be helpful, especially posing and lighting.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Paragon8 posted:

Crossposting from SAD-

I like where you took the processing with these. I think the first one falls a little flat, though. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I think it might have to do with a combination of the framing and the way her hair occludes most of her face.

The head chef at one of our dorm cafeterias is writing a column for us called "Guerrilla Kitchen Tactics."

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

dakana posted:

I am sure that dude is proud of his tattoos. Don't blow them out!

Nice idea though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Ektar owns. Shot with a diffused hotlight. Mamiya C330, 80mm 2.8 @ f4, 1/30.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 18, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
This was actually part of a much larger shoot and she is a friend of mine, so I could / will be asking her back for more shots. To be honest, I could have spent the 3 hours just shooting her (not because she's bad at posing but because I love photographing her), but as it was I had about 10-15 minutes for about 2-3 shots per girl. I need to get it perfect but this attempt is getting there. This is the kind of thing that will drive me nuts and I'll probably never think it's just right.

Anyway, yeah.

Rhia by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Looks kind of uncanny valley to me. It's got this lifeless quality to it.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Hm, I was concerned I slightly over-processed it. I'm sort of trying to go for L.S Lowry's Portrait of Ann, because I love it and I think her face is symmetrical enough for it. I dunno, I think you're right, though. I need to find a happy medium with regard to my post on it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Gaz, watch those bra marks on her shoulders. Pretty distracting.
Any time a model takes something off or changes outfits you need to be hyper aware of any marks left over for usually a good 15-20 minutes.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

McMadCow posted:

Gaz, watch those bra marks on her shoulders. Pretty distracting.
Any time a model takes something off or changes outfits you need to be hyper aware of any marks left over for usually a good 15-20 minutes.

Crap, yeah. Will fix that. Thanks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

Crap, yeah. Will fix that. Thanks.

I've got to say, too, I don't really like the green colour of her top. With the deep red, they don't really... mesh. But that's something you can easily change in PS.

photo from like a month ago I've gotten around to editing

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Penpal posted:

I love it. I'd love it even more if we couldn't see parts of her dress and undergarments poking into the shot. Seems like they don't belong.

EDIT: At least she doesn't have marks! :v:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Penpal posted:

I've got to say, too, I don't really like the green colour of her top. With the deep red, they don't really... mesh. But that's something you can easily change in PS.

photo from like a month ago I've gotten around to editing

Yeah, it's her new gear - she's a pro wrestler. Her old gear is exactly like this but red. I'm trying to get a sort of perfect symmetry shot with her, but this was part of a large series of headshots / other posed shots, and there are two other things that bother me about it. 1 - I need to redo the post and take a little more time. 2 - there's a bit more shoulder on one side, and that is driving me NUTS.

I'll be reshooting it when it's just me, her and some time to nail it. I can also consider clothing carefully then and that sort of thing. I'm also wondering whether to switch to natural light and possibly a landscape orientation.

Thanks for all the feedback chaps - I'm determined to get this one perfect. Will most likely post my new attempt when it comes around.

Anyway, yes, I'm with McMadCow on the garment thing. Apart from that, it's very unusual, I like it. People will screw about the central composition but it's clearly a deliberate decision and valid breaking of "the rules". It has a slightly unsettling quality, in a good way, and doesn't feel like there's been too much post done on it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pow! Developed this set as my own editorial.

These are from a test

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

These are from a test

I'm a fan of blue tones.

--

Untitled

Untitled

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Santa is strapped posted:

Untitled

Untitled

The second one is a little overdone subject-wise but I'm digging the first one. Neat pose and lighting and it looks like she's getting abducted by aliens or something. Kudos for paying enough attention to make sure shadows from her hands didn't get on her face or the rest of her.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

HPL posted:

The second one is a little overdone subject-wise but I'm digging the first one. Neat pose and lighting and it looks like she's getting abducted by aliens or something. Kudos for paying enough attention to make sure shadows from her hands didn't get on her face or the rest of her.

I know, haha, the garage shoot is a pretty cliche theme. I was hoping I'd get some natural light in but we arrived too late.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got two portrait shoots on Sunday, one is with a wedding planner and the other is with a local indie rock musician. I've got a nice park across the road from my place that I'll be using for both shoots. As luck would have it, the Moscow Circus is in the park for the next week or so.

Wedding planner gets nice sunset/rolling hills as her background.
Indie rock dude gets the circus in the evening.

I'm hoping not to gently caress either of them up.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

IMG_2823c copy by chris.butchart, on Flickr

Probably the portrait I'm most proud of, took an age to set up and during the shoot, including test shots I took 16 frames. it thought it had been a disaster but when I got them up on my laptop I was pleasantly surprised.
A lot of planning and testing was involved, but let me tell you it wouldn't have been possible without it.
If you're doing a big shoot and don't plan (I didn't really do before recently)start now!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

These are from a test

I really like this one :) She's got a great pose here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I hate the cut feet but I love everything else about it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I hate the cut feet but I love everything else about it.

What would her feet add to the shot? I'm just curious of your opinion.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

RangerScum posted:

What would her feet add to the shot? I'm just curious of your opinion.

I know you didn't ask me but cutting off the feet on a shot like this makes me feel uncomfortable. The framing looks like a mistake this way.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Cannister posted:

I know you didn't ask me but cutting off the feet on a shot like this makes me feel uncomfortable. The framing looks like a mistake this way.

Agreed. The feet themselves may not be the most important thing, but when you cut off just the tip like that it feels like a mistake instead of an intentional decision. I'd either leave some room below the feet or intentionally crop higher (probably the former).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The main reason I processed the image further as I initially marked down in my cull was that the primary photographer on the shoot lost all his images when his HD failed so it was up to me to fill the agency's wishes for the shoot.

That was pretty much the only full length I had of her - and if I moved back further I would have fallen into the canal. It's weird because people seem to really really love it but to me it's more of a salvage job than anything else.

That being said I do feel it's more important to preserve the space between her arm and the top of the frame than her feet and the bottom of the frame - so I'm not too bothered with that. The framing was the best I could manage with the equipment and access I had as an assistant.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

I'm also really impressed by her composure - prior to that shot I'd almost fallen into the canal twice already and she was almost in tears laughing at me :(

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 28, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I took 230 pictures of a friend's 8 month-old son.

About 10 of them actually had him either paying attention or at least had a decent expression on his face :doh:

This isn't for crit as much as it is showing off what I was dealing with the whole time.

I'm laying out prone in a combination of dirt and grass at an apple orchard as the boys' parents are behind me jingling keys and waving stuffed animals around. LOOK OVER HERE DAMNIT :argh:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
There's really no directing you can give a baby, you just sorta hope for the best and let the kid amuse themselves. Just remember that since it's not your kid, even when he's not looking at the camera, the parents are going to love the poo poo out of it. If it's in focus they're going to love it. I had a big breakthrough on kid shots because I realized that no matter what you give them, the parents are going to love it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

There's really no directing you can give a baby, you just sorta hope for the best and let the kid amuse themselves. Just remember that since it's not your kid, even when he's not looking at the camera, the parents are going to love the poo poo out of it. If it's in focus they're going to love it. I had a big breakthrough on kid shots because I realized that no matter what you give them, the parents are going to love it.

Oh yeah they love them regardless. It was just a pain in the rear end :v:

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I love doing portraits but still need countless hours of work before I consider my images anything other than silly.

Does anyone know of a guide similar to the posing guide mentioned (the Zeltsman guide) that deals specifically with colour? I'm shooting a fair haired, fair skinned, green eyed girl on sunday and i'm entirely unsure what to recommend in terms of wardrobe colour and then what I should use as a backdrop.
Since reading this thread, all preconceptions I had before have gone out of the window.

On another note, Crit me goons!

This was a fun shoot, I was lucky enough to have a projector to use, exposing it at all was a bitch though.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

sildargod posted:

This was a fun shoot, I was lucky enough to have a projector to use, exposing it at all was a bitch though.

I dunno what's going on in this pic but using a projector as a light source leads to some very interesting ideas...

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

RangerScum posted:

I dunno what's going on in this pic but using a projector as a light source leads to some very interesting ideas...

It was a cancer thing, there were some quite nice shots that came from it. this was the nearest we got to actually having her appear as a breast cancer ribbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sildargod posted:

It was a cancer thing, there were some quite nice shots that came from it. this was the nearest we got to actually having her appear as a breast cancer ribbon.

That's... pretty drat clever now that I look at it. Could you show us some of the others?