Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I don't really care about the lego-ness of the cloth, because even without it, it's stylish and creative. The whole thing has a lot of neat and thoughtful details, especially on the pagoda (?). Its the sort of thing I would be sorely tempted to play with if I saw it in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
In other news, the founder of Bricklink has died at the age of 33.

http://www.bricklink.com/danjezek/

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Dame Cook posted:

Ugh, that sucks. :( They don't say how he died.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh man, that's a drat shame.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
My girlfriend is making a halloween costume for herself of a giant Minifig.

It's official; I'm in love. :3:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Sockser posted:

The fuzzy brown shoulder thingies are totally non-Lego

...aren't they :ohdear:

Duplo Bearskins (which, admittedly, I didn't know existed either)

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1870

Jordan is one of the best out there, particularly for creature design. I knew he didn't cheat because, afaik, he never does and also this MOC was an entry for this year's You Control the Action Contest, which doesn't allow any modification or non-Lego parts.

AstroZamboni posted:

My girlfriend is making a halloween costume for herself of a giant Minifig.

It's official; I'm in love. :3:

Glad to see that's working out for you. Just make sure she doesn't bend at the knees when she's sitting down. That would ruin the effect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

The fuzzy brown shoulder thingies are totally non-Lego

...aren't they :ohdear:
So did you skip over the eight posts between yours there or what?

Dame Cook posted:

gently caress you 2010 you lovely loving year, first taking Nnenn and now the Bricklink dude.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe I've seen those wedge pieces in Mars Mission sets, on the alien fighters. Maybe try checking Bricklink's inventories on sets with Martian craft in them to find the part, then what sets had gray versions of them.

There're two in the Assassin Droid Battle Pack.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
totally awesome...

http://www.break.com/index/functioning-automatic-transmission-made-of-legos

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JESUS CHRIST

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wow that transmission makes me want to go buy some technic stuff. Awesome.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
For those of us with more ambition than money, LDD 4 is out. The new shader effects are a little disappointing, it doesn't look right on large models, but the color pallet has been expanded quite a bit. And the flex tool is awesome and easy-to-use:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Banner over that video for me:

NO KIDDING.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

afflictionwisp posted:

For those of us with more ambition than money, LDD 4 is out. The new shader effects are a little disappointing, it doesn't look right on large models, but the color pallet has been expanded quite a bit. And the flex tool is awesome and easy-to-use:

About time! I've always wondered what the point was of having all these bendy shapes like tubes, chains, ropes, etc. and not even being able to bend them.

I've been following this thread since day one, and I should probably post some of the tons of things I've been making in LDD, even though most of them aren't even half-finished.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

afflictionwisp posted:

loving goddamn finally

EDIT: holy poo poo ambient occlusion, this update loving owns

3 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 29, 2010

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I keep messing around with LDD about once or twice a month, because I want to like it, but I have no idea how you guys are able to build anything in that program.

I don't mean that in a programming sense - it's fairly easy to use and that sort of thing, and it clearly has far greater options than my personal collection. I mean it in an enjoyment sense - I have about 100x less fun building something in LDD than I do trying to build something with the actual bricks I have. LDD is exactly what I thought I wanted when I was a kid - unlimited bricks, unlimited colors, the option to build anything - but now that it's available, it just sucks all the fun out of actually creating something for me.

Anyone else feel that way?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
nope :buddy:

EDIT:

feels good man

3 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 29, 2010

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sloppy posted:

Ugh, that sucks. :( They don't say how he died.

I'm almost positive it was suicide or a terminal illness.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Here's some of my few finished LDD things. Look out, lots of images here!

A car meant to be in a pseudo-adventurers style.

A giant Metal Gear-esque thing. The shoulder missile batteries flip open; I'm particularly proud of that.

The design for this came from a picture I saw of the Star Wars Clone Wars Y-wing sets.

I made this a long time ago. I like the color scheme.

The middle compartment flips open. There's a weapons cache inside, though I can't recall if there's room for the soldiers. Maybe they just walk beside it?

The squids are taking over... and they have giant robots!

You don't want to be staring down this thing on a bad day. The entire body is basically a container for those two cannons.

A cargo hovercraft. The roof flips open, and the entire structure is modular. The sides are detachable from the engine, cockpit, and container, which mean that if this were real, it could be taken apart in a few seconds.

And just to show that I can do other things...

A closer look at the inside. There's also a whole space underneath the water.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

MOCs

poo poo, dude, where have you been? These are great.

downfall posted:

Anyone else feel that way?

Exactly the opposite, to the point where I don't enjoy just sitting down with a pile of random bricks nearly as much as I used to.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

Exactly the opposite, to the point where I don't enjoy just sitting down with a pile of random bricks nearly as much as I used to.

That's interesting - I don't think it's bad or anything, and I really wish I had enough fun with LDD to work on ideas in advance of ordering bricks (which is why I keep trying it.) As it is now, I'll think of an idea - sketch it out on paper. Then I go through bricklink and literally look at all the parts available in the colors I need. As I go, I wishlist all the ones I think might work (and this always, always leads me to find new parts that I didn't know about or didn't think of) and order however many of each I think I might need. Then when the pieces come in, I try to put it together based on my sketch/ideas. Half the time it doesn't even work; the pieces don't fit together how I imagined they would or the scale is off - but I have so much more fun that way. I think it's because I have a physical result in front of me - something I can pick up and look at - instead of a model on screen.

I think the LDD stuff you guys do is really impressive, btw - don't get me wrong. So far, the software is just not for me.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Replace 'sketch' with 'rapid prototyping in LDD', and I'm with you right up until

downfall posted:

...and order however many of each I think I might need...Half the time it doesn't even work

If you have that much disposable income, more power to you, but if I'm spending money I need to know that it's going to work.

Your fun comes from the construction, my fun is more about the design work - the challenge of developing a technique to achieve the shape I want. My relatively meager collection renders a lot of things impossible. Freed from that limitation, I can let myself go nuts.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

afflictionwisp posted:

poo poo, dude, where have you been? These are great.

I didn't want to go through all the effort of uploading them to an imagehosting site ^:shobon:^

Weighing in on the LDD vs physical Lego bricks debate, I can say that though the almost-total lack of restrictions of LDD doesn't quite make up for not being able to hold what I build in my hand and play with it, but, as a college student with two roommates, I hardly have room in my dorm--or money in my bank account--for physical Lego sets. LDD is a lifesaver, because I never would have gotten back into Lego without it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

almost-total lack of restrictions of LDD

On the other hand, you could try building LDD-pure, like me :)
(no universe mode, only available brick palette)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So I've been planning on going up to the Bellevue Lego Store today since it's a training day for teachers and classified staff don't have to be there.
Yesterday someone posted an ad on craigslist for a bunch of 90s-era Space sets, among others, for $650 for the lot or priced individually. Sets are largely complete, many have instructions, and are priced reasonably from legopriceguide.com, which is pretty accurate (Exploriens Starship for $48, MCM for $51, etc). And he's on the way to Bellevue. I get there, and start picking through until the guy tells me everything in this bin is all the space stuff. I ask him how much, and he checks his computer and says $500. I tell him I have $342 in cash on me, and he sells me the whole bin. I originally offered $300, since I wanted to keep the extra $42 for the Lego store and lunch, but he went to $350 I figured it was worth it.

My haul:
6982 Explorien Starship ($50 on BL)
6896 Celestial Forager ($10)
6989 Mega Core Magnetizer (my second) ($80)
6897 Rebel Hunter ($17)
6981 Aerial Intruder ($40)
6889 Recon Robot ($7)
6939 Saucer Centurion ($20)
1822 Sea Claw 7 ($10)
6984 Galactic Mediator (my second) ($50)
6878 Sub-Orbital Guardian ($8)
6983 Ice Station Odyssey (my second) ($55)
1793 Space Station Zenon ($80)
1789 Star Hawk II ($47)
6887 Allied Avenger ($15)
6988 Alpha Centauri Outpost ($100)
6814 Ice Tunnelator ($1.50)
6957 Solar Snooper (my second) ($30)
6956 Stellar Recon Voyager (my second) ($40)
6933 Spectral Starguider ($18)
6923 Particle Ionizer ($25)
6834 Celestial Sled ($3)
6959 Lunar Launch Site ($30)
6938 Scorpion Detector ($14)
6832 Super Nova II ($5)
6833 Beacon Tracer ($3)
6877 Vector Detector ($5)
6879 Blizzard Baron ($5)
6813 Galactic Chief ($2)
6949 Robo Guardian ($25)
6852 Sonar Security ($5)
1787 Crater Cruiser ($20)
1785 Crater Critters (but it looks like only the blue robot is there) ($10 complete, so...$5)
6812 Grid Trekkor ($3)
6835 Saucer Scout ($3)

It appears I got approximately $832 worth of 15-year-old sets (going by the cheapest available complete set on Bricklink, so it doesn't include shipping) for less than half their going rate.
Go me!
Now I just have to assemble them all and see what's missing so I can add to my BL Wanted List. I'll take pics when I have everything assembled.

Also, got PaB parts at the Lego Store to experiment with my semi-SHIP MOC--a whole bunch of click hinge bricks and red tiles to see if I can make a better-looking exterior while simultaneously enlarging the interior.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

Replace 'sketch' with 'rapid prototyping in LDD', and I'm with you right up until

If you have that much disposable income, more power to you, but if I'm spending money I need to know that it's going to work.

Your fun comes from the construction, my fun is more about the design work - the challenge of developing a technique to achieve the shape I want. My relatively meager collection renders a lot of things impossible. Freed from that limitation, I can let myself go nuts.

Heh, I wish I had that much disposable income - most of the things I build are probably 100 pieces or less, frequently 50 pieces or less. It is a different style of building entirely, which probably has something to do with it as well. Most of the time, I'm ordering quantities of 4 or 5 of a part - so I spend $10 or less at a time.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So how do you guys learn how to design stuff?

I've been messing around with LDD, and well-I suck at figuring things out. It sucks, cause when I was little, I used to be hella good at designing all kinds of poo poo, like I'd just sit down with my tub of legos, or knex or whatever, and after about an hour, I'd have all sorts of awesome poo poo, but now, I sit down and I'll tinker, but...it doesn't come out the same.

How do I get that little kid creativity back?

And I really want to reopen my credit card...just to get that goddamn taj mahal. That thing is so drat gorgeous. Half my nephew's christmas list is Lego, and I keep waiting for TRU to do the buy-one-get-one on Lego, so that I can get him xmas gifts and get myself xmas gifts to myself. I'll get myself the taj mahal and him the death star.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2010

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Pyroclastic posted:

Now I just have to assemble them all and see what's missing so I can add to my BL Wanted List. I'll take pics when I have everything assembled.

Bitchin' haul, pictures!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've assembled a few so far. More missing pieces from a couple of the smaller sets than I was hoping so, but maybe they'll turn up in some of the other bags. The entire back half of the Blizzard Baron wasn't in the ziploc.

I assembled the Explorien Starship, which was only missing a few small pieces that I already had spares of. But, goddamn, that ship is bizarrely constructed. It's the weirdest drat ship I've ever built.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

Play with real legos! Half the fun is finding a special piece you forgot about and trying to work it into your model. LDD is a serious case of overwhelming possibilities, to the point of if you don't quite know what you want to build and how it's gonna be pretty loving difficult.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Well, I just pulled out the huge cart of legos my brother and I had built up growing up. I went through all the instruction booklets, some are really ragged from overuse and just time in general, but I was able to put together a list of everything I have here. And my god is it going to take a long time to get these all together, which is half the fun. I have no idea what half the "official" titles of the sets are and don't have the patience at the moment to look each individual set up.

Aqua Raiders
7771, 7772, 7773, 7774
1822 Sea Claw 7 / Neptune III

City
3182 Airport
6442 Diver
6558 Boat with dive cage
1790, 1791, 1792
6679 race boat
6356 hospital plane
1876 front end loader
6593, 7240, 7239 fire/rescue
6506 police car X2
6344 police plane and boat
6381 indy raceway
6699 bike shop
1890 octan racer
6561 hot rod club
6660 tow truck
6590 car and motor home
6646 "american flag" dragster
6538 hot rod X2
6663 truck and speedboat
1710 snowmobile
6513 fanboat
1959 glider
1958 sail boarder
6534 sail boarder and car

Pirates

Castle
1596, 6034, 1463 X2
6043 Dragon catapult
6059 black castle
1877 hay cart
1547 dragon longboat
1624 archer target
6042 prison cart
6056 dragon cart
6076 dark dragons den

Space
6957, 1969 space police
6939, 1787 X2, 6810, 6848,6836
6814 ice planet
6981 "B" spaceship
6990 Monorail

Time Cruisers
6493, 6492/1853

Starwars
7110 land speeder
7151 Sith Infiltrator

Technic
8229, 8225, 8216, 8201-1 & 8201-2, 8272, 8825, 8210, 8820, 8408

Lego Creator 4120
Lego Basic 715
Lego Idea book 250

And (lol megabloks) Probuilder FDNY Ladder Truck 9735

Iveliosiudicium fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 30, 2010

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

So I tooled around a bit with the Lego Digital Designer and made a little Japanese sand garden.

Click here for the full 1442x742 image.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Pirates

Your pirate sets are Pirate's Gun Cart, Castaway's Raft and Shipwreck Island. I built Castaway's Raft last night; it's quite a nice little set for what it is.

I got hold of Skull Island and Rocky Reef this week, and I'm really pleased with them both. Skull Island is a far better set than I'd imagined it to be and it was well worth the money.

The only downside is that now my Pirate faction is considerably bigger than my Imperial Soldiers faction - I'm not sure the Imperials can withstand attack with just Sabre Island, Broadside's Brig and Harbor Sentry to their name.

Oh well, it just looks like I'll have to buy some more sets..!

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

Try to find inspiration in something instead of just randomly tinkering. I like this site.

So, I'm still all giddy over the LDD update (they really improved the handling of large numbers of parts, my courtyard moc took over two minutes to open in 3, takes about 30 seconds in 4). Then I notice this:

loving FINALLY! The list of reasons for me to use MLCAD is now one line item shorter.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?

Testro posted:

Shipwreck Island.

I got that on my birthday cake when I turned 10 :3

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I made another tank thing. I'm liking the new colors and pieces in LDD 4!

The whole thing is in three parts, with the cannon sandwiched beneath the cockpit and the chassis. My favorite part is the underside of the top part.

It started out with the top looking great, but as I went on I can't say I'm happy with the way the whole thing turned out. I like the details I put on it, though.

radbeard
Oct 22, 2010
Haha that one's my favorite. What are you rendering these in?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

radbeard posted:

Haha that one's my favorite. What are you rendering these in?

I just go into "preferences" and turn the graphics detail all the way up. But I don't keep it like that when I'm building, because I don't want too much lag.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I just go into "preferences" and turn the graphics detail all the way up. But I don't keep it like that when I'm building, because I don't want too much lag.
Is there an anti-aliasing option? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
how come whenever I see a majestic lego creation I get this inkling to HULK SMASH the ever-loving poo poo out of it? :(