Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I find the oh-ohs to be most acceptable to my ears but if "aught" was more common in English it'd be a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wedemeyer posted:

Anyone experienced with paypal refunds? I got a seller saying when they got my money they transferred it to their bank account. I opened a dispute when they didn't send me the tickets--turns out they lost them--and apparently they used their credit card to pay the amount of money back to paypal.

But I'm not seeing it in my paypal balance. Should I just escalate it? Paypal help is no use to me and just says some automated message.

You're in the middle of getting scammed, start the escalation process immediately on all disputes, then contact the seller because the process has an expiration date.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got something very strange going on with Firefox. When the window is full-screened, there's a small block of pixels that turn gray-ish. It's in a somewhat different place depending on if I have Digsby docked to the side (so FF can't maximize quite as large), but if I click on the maximize caption button to un-maximize the window, the artifact goes away, no matter what size I make the window (other than maximized, of course). Here's a screenshot where you can see it just below the bottom left image:

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Is an XML or HTML certification good to have on a resume, in general?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Tostito posted:

Is an XML or HTML certification good to have on a resume, in general?

In general? Probably not. If it's even remotely relevant to the job you're applying for, then yes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In retrospect we'll probably just refer to 2000-2009 as "turn of the century" again.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fishmech posted:

In retrospect we'll probably just refer to 2000-2009 as "turn of the century" again.

I have even heard people doing this, on NPR for example. It confuses the gently caress out of me because I am an idiot. "WHAT BUT BUSH WAS NOT PRESIDENT IN 1900" :downs: They have switched to "the turn of the previous/last century." for the old one.

As a decade, I mostly hear "the two-thousands" for 2000-2009ish.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I have even heard people doing this, on NPR for example. It confuses the gently caress out of me because I am an idiot. "WHAT BUT BUSH WAS NOT PRESIDENT IN 1900" :downs: They have switched to "the turn of the previous/last century." for the old one.

As a decade, I mostly hear "the two-thousands" for 2000-2009ish.

I don't see “the two thousands” as being limited to the first decade. It applies now because that's all we've experienced so far. Think of how other centuries are recalled, e.g. the eighteen hundreds. We might get a bit more specific and say “late eighteen hundreds.”

For the years ’00–’09, I use “aughts” and “ohs” when I can't otherwise avoid the awkwardness altogether. Know what I dread? The prospect of the years 2011–2012 being called the “Tweens.”

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I really like Keynote, the Mac presentation program, is there anything similar for the PC? Besides powerpoint.

Broseidon
Mar 29, 2010

by T. Finn
Why do former housewives so often venture into the real estate business after deciding they want to have a career? I don't have a problem with it or anything, but I don't get why real estate.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Broseidon posted:

Why do former housewives so often venture into the real estate business after deciding they want to have a career? I don't have a problem with it or anything, but I don't get why real estate.

It's the perceived lack of any real skill that you need to become a Real Estate Agent, coupled with the exploding housing market in the middle of the decade. All you really needed to be a good real estate agent at that time was to have your licence, a car, and be good looking. The houses would just sell themselves, and the money was very good.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Broseidon posted:

Who else knows why a second floor laundry room is a bad idea even though the bedrooms are close by?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Broseidon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this on?

Broseidon
Mar 29, 2010

by T. Finn

Raimundus posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this on?

Television

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
But they are superior.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I really like Keynote, the Mac presentation program, is there anything similar for the PC? Besides powerpoint.

I think you need to be more specific to get anywhere with that question. I have trouble explaining what the difference is between them to people.

Even though I prefer Keynote mostly, I prefer PowerPoint for for some stuff like printing out handouts.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Broseidon posted:

Television

You watched that episode of King of the Hill, didn't you.

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
I've always had issues with shaving my face/neck. After shaving I'll always develop acne all over my neck, and it gets so bad that I basically can only shave once or twice a week (usually once). I've tried switching between various blades/electric shavers (while giving my face enough time to adjust to these changes), along with different kinds of electric pre-shaving lotion/shaving cream/aftershave. I'll usually shave after taking a shower to soften up my facial hair but that doesn't really work either.

Am I doomed to a life of pizza neck or should I surrender, go full on :goonsay: and never shave again?

buy a hotdog! fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 29, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Bic razors and the one electric razor I tried used to be really rough on my face. I always use Gillette razors now and they are perfect.

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah I've been there done that. Tried Bics before and that always turned into a shitfuck, I do have two pretty decent Gillette razors but the breakouts still occur with those too.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

buy a hotdog! posted:

I've always had issues with shaving my face/neck. After shaving I'll always develop acne all over my neck, and it gets so bad that I basically can only shave once or twice a week (usually once). I've tried switching between various blades/electric shavers (while giving my face enough time to adjust to these changes), along with different kinds of electric pre-shaving lotion/shaving cream/aftershave. I'll usually shave after taking a shower to soften up my facial hair but that doesn't really work either.

Am I doomed to a life of pizza neck or should I surrender, go full on :goonsay: and never shave again?

Have you tried wetshaving? There's a thread floating around somewhere and it's very useful.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Best advice I can give you is to make sure you use moisturizing shaving cream (you can find some made specifically for sensitive skin) and let it take effect, but most of all to shave *with* the grain and not against it. Shaving against the grain is a sure-fire way to get razor burn.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
Does anyone know of a (preferably free) program that'll let me combine multiple PDFs and place page numbers on all of them?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

buy a hotdog! posted:

It might seem overkill, but find an Art of Shaving store and have a chat with one of the people working there. I used to have the same problem until I ditched the lovely Gilette shaving gels and started using a decent razor. Also if you have any friends in the Health and Beauty field, you could ask what they would recommend.

And off the top of my head, there's a couple things to consider. Do you use a facial scrub designed for pre-shaving? Do you thoroughly rinse your face when you finish shaving and lightly pat it dry with a fresh towel?

Now here's my question:

I was watching a bit of the World Series today and noticed that a few of the players were wearing braided rope and what looked like some kind of cable around their necks. What the hell is this? Superstition?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 29, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

WHEEZY KISS A GOST posted:

Now here's my question:

I was watching a bit of the World Series today and noticed that a few of the players were wearing braided rope and what looked like some kind of cable around their necks. What the hell is this? Superstition?

magnets :pseudo:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/25/championship-series-baseball-players-swear-by-30-titanium-necklaces/

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Oh for gently caress's sake...

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
How can I get UK Court records/details of cases, that kind of thing? I'm helping research a book, and I need information on a few trials, but I've no idea what I'm doing at all, and the few search engines I've tried are showing nothing. I don't mind paying for the information.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

buy a hotdog! posted:

"Nair" type products are good for this outside of full on laser removal. Google "Depilation" and keep in mind that they may irritate your skin more than the razor so test a small area first.

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
My housemate had a song in her head and wants to know what it is.

I recorded her singing it and posted it on the internet for you guys to listen to.

Here's the clip!

She reckons it's a '90s dance/yoga song in the style of Adiemus, so imagine this with a dance beat behind it.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Nair" type products are good for this outside of full on laser removal. Google "Depilation" and keep in mind that they may irritate your skin more than the razor so test a small area first.

Don't use Nair on facial hair, dummy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

WHEEZY KISS A GOST posted:

Don't use Nair on facial hair, dummy.

Uhh, why?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Uhh, why?

Because the odds are it will either not work at all or leave you with mild chemical burns on your face.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Hmm well neither was true for me, and I just used regular nair (or the other brand).

They actually sell it for facial hair now:

http://www.naircare.com/products/products_facecream.aspx

I don't think they'd be selling a product that didn't work and caused mild chemical burns for very long.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Do NOT use regular Nair on your face.

Ever think maybe theres a reason why they created a Nair product for the face? The non-face kind will burn you.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
No, I never thought of that. I was totally suggesting that he run out and dump leg nair all over his face without testing or being cautious.

I never suggested he use regular nair on his face. I just said that I did and did not get burns on my face, and you may have noticed the link that I provided was for the facial hair nair.

What the gently caress.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Given that your name suggests you are female, I'd say that you should refrain from giving advice about men's facial hair. Unless of course you have a beard.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I'm male (an admin gave me this name). I had the same issue as the OP and used leg nair on my face an it worked and didn't cause anything more than temporary irritation and awful stink. Both of which were nothing compared to my neck/chin looking like the acid guy from robocop after shaving.

I suggested "nair type" products and to use with caution.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm male (an admin gave me this name). I had the same issue as the OP and used leg nair on my face an it worked and didn't cause anything more than temporary irritation and awful stink. Both of which were nothing compared to my neck/chin looking like the acid guy from robocop after shaving.

I suggested "nair type" products and to use with caution.

You got lucky. It actually says on the leg Nair bottle not to use on sensitive areas including the neck/face and bikini area.

Also, if his problem is super-sensitive skin, depilation creams are more than likely gonna irritate the gently caress out of his skin.

Chances are he just needs to adjust some part of his shaving routine and supplies and not resort to the chemical warfare option of hair removal.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I'm an American student studying Korean and I'm trying to find Korean-language e-books and I'm having absolutely zero luck. Does anyone know any good websites to buy/creatively acquire such books?

Related question: Is it possible for me to register for Korean book-selling websites? Most Korean websites require a National ID number or Foreign Registration Number, neither of which are available to me given that I live in America and have no Korean paperwork at all. I've tried emailing various websites but the responses I receive are less than helpful.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Pucklynn posted:

I'm an American student studying Korean and I'm trying to find Korean-language e-books and I'm having absolutely zero luck. Does anyone know any good websites to buy/creatively acquire such books?

Related question: Is it possible for me to register for Korean book-selling websites? Most Korean websites require a National ID number or Foreign Registration Number, neither of which are available to me given that I live in America and have no Korean paperwork at all. I've tried emailing various websites but the responses I receive are less than helpful.

Thanks!

Try asking in here, it's a forum for crazy people who try to learn languages like Korean:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/default.asp

I've gotten most of my foreign language resource ideas from there.