Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It wasn't me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
400sm? i must admit i've been wanting one...

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

:(

Who would steal a DRZ? :(

man even KLRs get stolen, nothing is safe from crackheads

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today it was 3.5 degrees C outside, half a degree below fridge temps. Bright shining sun though. A good coat of Fog Tech inside the visor and heated gloves, wonderful to ride in the fresh dense air. Although my butt puckered pretty good riding through spots of shade where my reptile brain sensed ice.

Also, I think I have accidentally deleted or otherwise misplaced a lot of photos. :( Including one mountain trip which was going to be an article and my 100.000 km rollover.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

SlightlyMadman posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck; did you have insurance?

yeah already filed a claim. I dont want to get back a damaged bike either, it was pristine.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Sorry to hear about the DRZ; that sucks.

So I took the Seca out for a spin. It ran exactly like before- badly. I checked the plugs and #1 was black while the others were grey. I despaired for a while, then got to work.

I pulled the carbs and didn't see anything missing on the bottom side of #1, so I went to pull the slide. The loving diaphragm was mis-seated.

After refitting it, I did some tests to see if it appreared to behave like the others- same rate of descent if I lifted two slides and let them drop, same amount of lift when a shop-vac was applied to the manifold side with the trottle partially opened, etc. Things looked OK.

I refitted the carbs this morning and took it out for a spin- everything was perfect. Except for the rain. But throttle response was good, there was no sign of oncoming lean running behavior, etc. I'm heading out again for a longer test ride but I'm hopeful that the major running issues are dealt with.

[edit]
Took a longer test ride. Adjusted the idle a bit mixture and checked sync (which looked good). Another test ride, then pulled the plugs: perfection! (aka "light tan")

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 18, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Punched the old chain apart, hauled it off, swapped the sprockets front and rear. Stopped short of putting the new chain on because I munged the lockwasher for the countershaft sprocket, and don't have a fresh one. So instead I put the crash bars back on with a healthy dollop of silicone on the "bean" where the two sides meet, otherwise the bars vibrate like crazy.

The chain tool works like hot drat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The old clutch slave cylinder was leaky and dirt was getting in the fluid pretty quickly, so I just bought a new one for it and installed it today.

I also just built an elevated work stand for the bikes a week ago. I've been living at this new place for about 3 months now, but until 2 weeks ago, the garage was always crowded with either a busted-rear end car or my old couches I couldn't fit upstairs. Once the area was finally free, I got it to this point last weekend.

It's 3/4" plywood, made using these plans. Haven't gotten a bike on it yet, and I've actually got it disassembled and leaned against a wall right now. Put the shop lights in the same day. This weekend I worked on fixing the leaky, lovely roof, and next week I think I'll get a table put in the back for teardowns and other stuff.

That's the kikker to the right, waiting patiently on a milk crate for its fork seals to arrive. :sigh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tonight I rode it. Holy crap that street fighter is an exciting motorcycle. Nothing like two weeks of driving a car to make you go WOAH

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Sprayed gas all over it like a dumbass. :doh:

Hurr gas pumps are hard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

modify_evolution posted:

Sprayed gas all over it like a dumbass. :doh:

Hurr gas pumps are hard.

I've spilled gas on my engine a couple of times. Nothing bad ever happened, even if the gas sizzled from the heat but it remains a recurring nightmare of mine. Splash of gas leads to big news report with me in the background all :( without eyebrows or motorcycle.

edit:

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 19, 2010

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Fixed the wife's EX250 not wanting to start/idle nicely by riding the piss out of it to work. Three weeks of sitting plus sub-45F weather does not agree with a carbed 250cc engine.

I'm actually thinking of putting some cardboard in front of the radiators on both bikes to maintain better engine temps. My commute is 20 miles with only 3 stoplights, so I'm never stopped for more than maybe 45 seconds; the temp gauge never reaches more than 1/8" above C.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Ola posted:

I've spilled gas on my engine a couple of times. Nothing bad ever happened, even if the gas sizzled from the heat but it remains a recurring nightmare of mine. Splash of gas leads to big news report with me in the background all :( without eyebrows or motorcycle.

edit:

I spent 2 weeks on a Minsk (125cc aircooled 2 stroke single) and got gas on the hot engine nearly every time I filled it up.. It scared the hell out of me too but the locals didn't seem phased by it at all. I think our safety standards are a little skewed.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

edit:

Gasoline is not that flammable. Igniting point at 1 atm is about 280-320°C. You can easily drop a burning cigarette in a jar filled with gasoline without igniting it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Blaster of Justice posted:

Gasoline is not that flammable. Igniting point at 1 atm is about 280-320°C. You can easily drop a burning cigarette in a jar filled with gasoline without igniting it.

I blame Hollywood for making people think that petrol explodes as soon as you look at it the wrong way.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Splash of gas leads to big news report with me in the background all :( without eyebrows or motorcycle.

edit:

Appropriate edit. And yeah, I didn't want to sit around and wait for it to evaporate, so I wiped off the gas best I could (...with my sweater, stellar decision, modify_evolution) and then hoped nothing bad happened. Nothing did. Despite my house smelling like gas. I hope the gas lines don't start leaking. I'd never notice.

Terminal posted:

Fixed the wife's EX250 not wanting to start/idle nicely by riding the piss out of it to work.

That's my solution to a pouty start-up, too. Even though I ride my 250 every day, it still gets unhappy after a cold morning.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, Dunlop Q2s and Techspec tank grips done today.

I was a Bridgestone guy but I think I am changed. :v:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Blaster of Justice posted:

I've splashed gas on a hot header before, which based on my pyrometer readings would be just on the low side of the ignition range, and a fair bit hotter than a hot engine. Thank god all I got was a dramatic sizzle.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
*Removed front and rear wheels
*Cleaned rear brake caliper, installed new pads
*Cleaned old Moly Paste from gear splines on wheel and hub
*Cleaned old grease from dust seals and bearings on front and rear wheels

It only took me about 45 minutes to pull both wheels.

Front - remove right caliper bracket assembly, remove front fender, loosen axle nut, loosen pinch bolts, slide out axle, drop wheel down, roll forward, done.

Rear - remove both saddlebags, remove rear fender assembly, remove rear caliper stopper bolt, loosen right muffler pipe clamps, remove right muffler hanger bolts x 2, loosen axle nut, slide out axle, rotate rear caliper bracket forward, shift wheel left to clear hub splines, drop wheel down, roll backwards, done.

The ST looks funny with a jackstand under the front end :) The wheels are loaded in my wife's car now, along with a set of new Bridgestone BT-023's. She'll be taking them to a friend's shop to get them mounted while I'm at work today, then this evening I'll re-lube the spline gears on the wheel and the hub, re-grease the bearings, dust seals, and axles, and reinstall everything.

While I am getting a really good deal on the mounting and balancing, I'll be buying a tire mounting setup sometime next year.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
Somehow managed to blow out both fork seals during a little moderately spirited riding. I left my bike running while I poked around for a couple minutes looking for the source of the oil spatter on my boots and the overheat light came on. Looks like some long neglected basic maintenance is in my future.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Raven457 posted:

While I am getting a really good deal on the mounting and balancing, I'll be buying a tire mounting setup sometime next year.

It's really not all it's cracked up to be :(. Although, if I had to do it all again I would have pony'd up the extra bucks to get a NoMar rig. Not that the HF stuff is HORRIBLE (once you get a good mount/demount bar and put derlin blocks on the rim clamps) it's just not designed well. At all. After seeing a NoMar in action I'm pretty convinced that's the ticket for a not completely retarded expensive pneumatic/electric changer like a Coats or something.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I put the Honda CB750 away for the winter by putting in stabil, making sure it worked its way into the carbs,pulling the battery, and rolling it into the shed outback. The drat plastic bits of the choke cable broke. I put maybe 300 miles on it this year. I know that this was my dad's bike but I really don't have enough free time to justify owning two motorcycles. I mean I love the contrast between the Honda and the R6, but the Honda is a "weekends only" kind of bike. The lousy brakes/acceleration just won't cut it in the rush hour traffic I normally ride in.

Every time I ride the 750 I'm reminded what I still need to do to the bike:

- pull and clean the carbs
- splice in new plug wires and caps
- adjust the valves again
- replace the swing arm grease fitting
- new shocks
- new choke cable
- cosmetics...

The bike runs pretty darn good really. I can start it with one kick, but after riding a modern bike I can't keep the Sanford and Son theme out of my head when I'm riding it. Some one talk me into keeping it, if anything it will keel my father's ghost from haunting me.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

If you ever need to attend a classy event or be fancy in general, nothing beats the class of a UJM.

Tang_
May 8, 2007
Put a new rear sprocket, front sprocket and chain on. Also discovered the swingarm linkage bearings were siezed so I replaced them too (and destroyed one of the bearings because I was tapping them in rather than pressing them with a vice :eng99:

This is what my rear sprocket looked like after taking it off:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got the kikker forks back on yesterday and all put together, then the fucker wouldn't start. Today I ended up trying to track down a mystery short, couldn't find it but it magically disappeared(I think the solenoid was grounding out), and had it running again.

Now it just needs to be re-registered, then it could use a better battery and a smaller rear sprocket, but I'm about ready to sell it or trade for another project.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tang_ posted:

This is what my rear sprocket looked like after taking it off:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

pfth, that's still got a few teeth left, it's still good

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
I just stopped at a local bike dealer and got the best deal on alu transport boxes ever.
I asked if he might have anything oldschool looking for my bike and instead he found two indentical alu boxes in the back of his storage. Shrugged his shoulders and sold them to me for 65 Euros. Which is half of what a single new one costs. One of them was banged up, but nothing the old hammer can't fix.
I couldn't take them with me right away since I was on the bike and had nothing to strap them down with, but I'll go get them next time. On my way out he said "That was pretty stupid of me, wasn't it" Stupid maybe, but pretty loving awesome and sympathetic.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I ordered an Ohlins rear shock in a group buy for $200 off retail. I also got these pics taken by my buddies of my second day owning my bike during a shakedown run through the Utah desert at the start of my month long trip.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
gently caress I am so jealous of that bike. It is beautiful in an ugly but durable BMW kind of way.

Today I rode my bike for the last time until spring :( Insurance ran out and it's going to snow any day now. I even got the forks rebuilt with progressive springs today!

Then I ripped my clutch apart since it's slipping and found out all my plates are burnt. Woohoo! Something to tinker with..

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

N183CS posted:

I ordered an Ohlins rear shock in a group buy for $200 off retail.

poo poo! At first I read that you bought it for $200.

So what was the actual price, like $1000? I would kill for an Ohlins on my GS. I would not, however, pay anything approaching retail price.

As for me, I bought a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet and filled the '82 Seca with gas. That's right: I used a whole tank of gas in the Seca without something going wrong and requiring a 2 month project to fix.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got it for about $645. Selling another bike to fund upgrades to this one is a great way to justify high dollar parts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Replaced the low-profile red windscreen that came with my 99 R6 and put on an awesomer-shaped red one. I like what it does to its face :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Shogun frame sliders on my sv650s. Should have put them on before the crash.. but oh well..

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
My FZ6 will love me this winter.

I ordered everything I need to replace the parts damaged during a hit and run, fz1 handlebars (supposed to be slightly more aggressive and much more comfortable), and leo vince exhaust (398 shipped!).

Since I'm going to be pulling the bike apart to replace the oil pan and most of the cowling, I figured I might as well spiff it up a little.

I'll probably buy some flushmounts, fender eliminator, sparkplugs, and a replacement air filter, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I also may order a speedo healer, its just a bugger to justify spending 100 bones on something that only makes the speedo more accurate. Unfortunately, after going -1 on the front sprocket, there is a pretty large margin of error. Why can't the japs make a bike with an accurate speedometer to begin with!

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
Replaced missing fairing screws and reinstalled with thread locker. (Yes I ride a KLR).

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
I lubed the chain today.

Oh yeah, and I got a motorcycle with a chain.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
So, my gas tank arrived today, and somehow the seller forgot to mention that it has been welded by a 4th grader and someone made a nasty dent with a small pointy object when he described it as "original state with some wear and a small nonessential dent". Needless to say I am pretty pissed. Doubly so because the photos on ebay seem to avoid exactly those spots.

I was even preparing to make some alterations to my bike so I don't have to weld stuff on the tank to make it fit since it's from a very rare model and I didn't want to ruin a rare part (resale value).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WildWanderer posted:

I lubed the chain today.

Nice bike, looks like the PO already did the tail chop. What size?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Frost posted:

So, my gas tank arrived today, and somehow the seller forgot to mention that it has been welded by a 4th grader and someone made a nasty dent with a small pointy object when he described it as "original state with some wear and a small nonessential dent". Needless to say I am pretty pissed. Doubly so because the photos on ebay seem to avoid exactly those spots.

I was even preparing to make some alterations to my bike so I don't have to weld stuff on the tank to make it fit since it's from a very rare model and I didn't want to ruin a rare part (resale value).

gently caress him through paypal, item significantly not as described.

WildWanderer posted:

I lubed the chain today.

How many miles on this one? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

WildWanderer posted:

I lubed the chain today.

Sweet bike. I bet it's loud as gently caress with the D&D pipe on it, I had the same thing on my CBR F2. Almost unbearably loud, but it did get lots of (probably hostile) looks.