Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blaise posted:

What was done to your '02?!

Zip zero zilch. Bone stock.

Edit:

Bonus pic of the new toy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bull3964 posted:

Coming from my '02, this car is terrifying.

get a downpipe, intake, and tune already

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Shoot me now, I'm thinking of getting my 5th(!) Subaru, 3 of which are currently in my garage. On the hunt for a Spec-B Liberty with towbar.

Lets see, owned a 04 XT, drives 99 Forester about to be given to step bro for his wife's incoming twins, presently owns 06 WRX and 04 STI and drives daily 07 WRX. Dear Lord I'm a sad sack of poo poo when it comes to Subys.

Still want a 07 STI as well.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Cat Terrist posted:

On the hunt for a Spec-B Liberty with towbar.

I hope you're not planning on a H6 Spec-B with the 6 speed because that thing won't tow poo poo. Other spec-b's variations are fine though.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What is the power difference like on the newer 09+ WRX like between the following setups for Stage 2? Most threads I've on this topic turn into a discussion about sound, which I don't care about. There's also a huge difference in price between a downpipe and a full setup, and I'd rather not spend the extra money if it's not needed.

- Downpipe only, rest of exhaust stock
- Stealthback with stock muffler
- Full turboback

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's why :) My '02 became a totally diff machine with a tune and lack of cats..

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Yesterday was a sad day. I sold my '08 WRX to be able to go back to school.

Today, I want to move forward. I want to buy another Subaru. Unfortunately, I can't spend more than 4k. I don't care for the model, whether it's an Impreza, a Legacy, or an Outback. Hell, it could even be a Forester. I won't be keeping the car forever, but while I have it, I'd rather have something low-maintenance/decent gas mileage.

I ask in this thread because you guys know what to look out for. Are there any specific models/years I should avoid? I know you can't make a list of every single thing, I just want to be looking in the right direction for now. The other reason I ask here is because if I ask anywhere else, they'll tell me to get a Civic or a Corolla. But, they don't know.

Goodbye, buddy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

internet inc posted:

Today, I want to move forward. I want to buy another Subaru. Unfortunately, I can't spend more than 4k. I don't care for the model, whether it's an Impreza, a Legacy, or an Outback. Hell, it could even be a Forester. I won't be keeping the car forever, but while I have it, I'd rather have something low-maintenance/decent gas mileage.

It will be a much slower car than you're used to but if you're looking for an economy Subaru look no further than anything with the old 2.2L in it. They're indestructible, decent on fuel, and with a 5 speed not that bad to drive. There are 2.2L Subaru's trundling around here that have a staggering amount of miles on them. I spotted a silver tuna can looking Legacy wagon with 427,000kms the other week.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I just saw the new(?) rule about asking for recommendations. Is this alright? It's not a thread of its own. If it's not cool, let me know and I'll take it off. AI's pretty sweet and I don't want to crap it up. :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

internet inc posted:

I just saw the new(?) rule about asking for recommendations. Is this alright? It's not a thread of its own. If it's not cool, let me know and I'll take it off. AI's pretty sweet and I don't want to crap it up. :ohdear:

You didn't make a new thread. You'll be fine (PS - you asked about buying a SUBARU in a SUBARU thread, so you're better than 99% of the others anyways)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ChunksNensja posted:

I hope you're not planning on a H6 Spec-B with the 6 speed because that thing won't tow poo poo. Other spec-b's variations are fine though.
Wait, they made an H6 Legacy with a stick shift? Subaru USA kept explaining the reason they put a 4EAT in all the H6 cars, ruining them, was because the 5MT was too weak.

Is it the STI 6-speed? That would explain it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jamal posted:

get a downpipe, intake, and tune already

Ha, there are just no good subaru performance shops nearby and I've been too lazy and too busy to really plan a trip around getting something like that done.

Plus, I liked to keep my car stock for Autocross.

On another note, took the new car on the highway for the first time on the way to work. The 2011 in 5th gear pulls harder on the highway than my 2002 in 4th. I'm going to get in trouble with this car.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

bull3964 posted:

Ha, there are just no good subaru performance shops nearby and I've been too lazy and too busy to really plan a trip around getting something like that done.

Oh the trip isn't the hard part. Driving a Kia Rio for two weeks is the hard part.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Plus, I liked to keep my car stock for Autocross.

On another note, took the new car on the highway for the first time on the way to work. The 2011 in 5th gear pulls harder on the highway than my 2002 in 4th. I'm going to get in trouble with this car.

Am I weird for not thinking the 2011 wrx is all that bonkers fast? I've got a buddy with an 06 TR running a cobb ots stage 2 w/catted dp and it pulls way harder than the 2011.

That said, have you seen the power numbers Cobb is claiming with their OTS stage 2 map? poo poo balls man!

And that's with their overly safe, lots of room to improve upon OTS map!

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

bull3964 posted:

Edit:

Bonus pic of the new toy.

You have excellent taste in cars and colors my good man

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Amandyke posted:

Am I weird for not thinking the 2011 wrx is all that bonkers fast? I've got a buddy with an 06 TR running a cobb ots stage 2 w/catted dp and it pulls way harder than the 2011.

That said, have you seen the power numbers Cobb is claiming with their OTS stage 2 map? poo poo balls man!

And that's with their overly safe, lots of room to improve upon OTS map!

Should be around ~280ish whp/~330ish wtq with a protune, drat nice numbers on the VF52.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wait, they made an H6 Legacy with a stick shift? Subaru USA kept explaining the reason they put a 4EAT in all the H6 cars, ruining them, was because the 5MT was too weak.

Is it the STI 6-speed? That would explain it.

Yes.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Finally got my car back today after over a month. Apparently the #2 and #3 rod bearings went out and they put in a new longblock. What they didn't tell me is that they also put in a new turbo due to excessive play in the turbine. Is that another common problem I don't know about or could that be caused by the rod bearing failure somehow? Anyway, I'm just happy to be out of that lovely Hyundai rental and back into my STI.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm pretty sure they didn't ever make an H-6 manual. The spec b is the only 6-speed legacy (well except the new ones but that transmission sucks) and it has a 2.5.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

jamal posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't ever make an H-6 manual. The spec b is the only 6-speed legacy (well except the new ones but that transmission sucks) and it has a 2.5.

Australia has them in the 4th gen Liberty(Legacy) with a 6 speed non-DCCD box behind the 3.0 H6. And god-drat do they like to burn oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I want one of those gearboxes. Then I could finally have a stickshift Outback sedan. I guess an STI box would work just as well, but it'd be worth more than the car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

They did, Spec-B here. I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting one before my first WRX, it's a wonderful thing to drive with superb leather seats and a kick rear end sound system.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7936

Here be one!

They had 180Kw with the 3.0R, or I could wait and find a Blitzen wagon which also could be had with big fuckoff Brembos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Didn't they sell the 2.5 turbo GT Legacy/Liberty in Australia?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

Didn't they sell the 2.5 turbo GT Legacy/Liberty in Australia?

Yup, and we've had a whole bunch of factory hot specials for it as well, most of which include the 6-speed box.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Got an Accessport. The car seems *different* but I'm not really sure how much faster it really feels. Should a stage 1 flash feel drastically faster?

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

They had 180Kw with the 3.0R, or I could wait and find a Blitzen wagon which also could be had with big fuckoff Brembos.

Nope, only the Tuned by STI Liberty GT got the Brembo set up. The interiors on the Blitzen\STi tuned Lib's is what made them. Having a black roof lining and those leather and suede combo seats really made the car look a lot more upmarket inside and not like a base model car with go-fast bits on it.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

If anyone is on the hunt for a cheaper Access Port for an 04/05 STi, I have mine for sale in the AIMart.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ChunksNensja posted:

Nope, only the Tuned by STI Liberty GT got the Brembo set up. The Blitzen....

quote:

Just 200 of these superb touring cars (Blitzen) are on sale and are available in bright red or obsidian black

gently caress, that's the same number of cars as Ford's homalgamation rally specials.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Got an Accessport. The car seems *different* but I'm not really sure how much faster it really feels. Should a stage 1 flash feel drastically faster?

If your 07 is like my 06, the Cobb Stage 1 flash for it is really cowardly. My tuner (who is probably not the most impartial guy about this, but still) told me that they kept the boost level down low and didn't really touch the timing adjustment because they weren't sure how to do it on the WRX vs. the STI EJ25 at first. Most of my open-source tune's benefit was from timing adjustments - my car pushes you hard into the seat in third gear now, where it didn't under the Cobb tune. The TD04 is probably undersized for the 2.5L (my tuner's 2006 wagon has a larger turbo, which I now forget what it is). I also picked up 0.5 psi and got a few adjustments to the throttle map made for stop and go driving.

The Cobb tune should make a difference higher up in the rev range; it should hold onto boost a little longer but the real benefit will come if you get someone to write you a tune for that AP.

Also: CGM hawkeye club :respek:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 31, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Urban Grey :buddy:

It definitely feels like it pulls harder on the highway, I was just expecting a little less lag down low I suppose.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Urban Grey :buddy:

It definitely feels like it pulls harder on the highway, I was just expecting a little less lag down low I suppose.

Go stage 2

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The TD04 is probably undersized for the 2.5L (my tuner's 2006 wagon has a larger turbo, which I now forget what it is).

wayyy undersized. They'll only make about 8psi up top.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Go stage 2

Moving to San Francisco as soon as my house sells so I can't. :(

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Moving to San Francisco as soon as my house sells so I can't. :(

Amandyke and I live in the bay area, most people in this area run far more extreme than stage 2. It's a non-issue if you don't :rice:, there's plenty of shops that will help you grease the issues with CARB.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2010

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

If any of you portland or people are interested, I have 8-10 of the oil plug crush washers left over. Anyone wants them, they're free for the taking.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Bob Log posted:

Amandyke and I live in the bay area, most people in this area run farm more extreme than stage 2. It's a non-issue if you don't :rice:, there's plenty of shops that will help you grease the issues with CARB.

I live up in the bay area and soon I'm going to begin the process to get my WRX to stage 2, if you know good shops please share. My big problem is not knowing who the hell to trust up here.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Qapf posted:

I live up in the bay area and soon I'm going to begin the process to get my WRX to stage 2, if you know good shops please share. My big problem is not knowing who the hell to trust up here.

My car spent 2 weeks at P&L Motorsports and I am still waiting for my stock turbo and Cobb downpipe. I don't want to drive to Chicago again :argh:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Qapf posted:

GST Motorsports, LIC, EQ Tuning. All good shops.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Had some odd engine noise start up over the weekend on my Impreza 2.5i, first noticed when idling after a cold start but it went away by the time I reached my destination a couple miles away so I figured it was just random cold-boxer noise. Yesterday it showed up not after a cold-start, but at my destination a few miles away. Figured this turnaround made cold-engine noise less likely but didn't have time to really look into it until this evening.

Popped the hood, started the car, and almost immediately spotted my oil filler cap shaking like a spastic. Gave it a quick tightening and the noise disappeared instantly. Checked the oil level, it's fine, and there's no sign of any leakage - so I haven't been spitting oil out.

Called the dealership who did the last oil change, spoke to a service advisor confirming there was no new service bulletin out regarding the caps coming loose - and she even offered up the possibility that in her experience it was just not tightened properly during the last oil change. At which point I made sure they had time in the morning for me to bring it in and have them make sure that their negligence didn't cause anything else to crop up - mostly to have paperwork to cover my rear end and protect my warranty.

Too much, or should I milk it even further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, I just don't want to gently caress with having to worry about bribing someone or finding someone special to check me. Maybe I will later on, I suppose.

Anyways, I just took my car out for a good romp and yes, stage 1 has made a significant difference. After 3000 RPM it just rips. One question though - how reliable is the boost gauge built into the AP? The map sets a boost target of 13.5 +/- .7 PSI, and I spiked at 15.95 PSI for one split second. It's consistently maxing out at about 14.2, save that one blip. I'm assuming I don't need to sweat it but I thought I'd ask...