Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.
Anyone here go to the University of Maine Law School or have any opinions about it? I'm a little worried that it was just recently ranked as a tier 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Good posted:

Anyone here go to the University of Maine Law School or have any opinions about it? I'm a little worried that it was just recently ranked as a tier 3.
T3? Avoid.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

nm posted:

T3? Avoid.

Yea but its like the #1 ranked T3 and from everything I've read the employment prospects are good if you work in Maine.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

The Good posted:

is there a standardised graphic or emoticon to post when an obvious troll shows up?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shang Yang posted:

is there a standardised graphic or emoticon to post when an obvious troll shows up?
I nominate:
:crossarms:
or
:ughh:
or the comedy option
:doink:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Good posted:

Yea but its like the #1 ranked T3 and from everything I've read the employment prospects are good if you work in Maine.

Even if that were true it would be because everyone who didn't get a job in Maine because it's impossible and because it's loving maine where zero degrees is warm left.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 29, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

The Good posted:

Hey, I'm in the top quarter of my class on a journal at a T30 school and don't have a job. In fact despite about 20 firm/government interviews I haven't gotten a callback yet.

Unless you have a friend/family member promising you a job upon graduation somewhere that you would like to work, don't go.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The Good posted:

Don't go unless someone else is paying the whole pricetag and you really really really want to be a solo who works ~60-70 hours a week for what equates to 7 dollars an hour.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

Hey, I'm in the top quarter of my class on a journal at a T30 school and don't have a job. In fact despite about 20 firm/government interviews I haven't gotten a callback yet.

Unless you have a friend/family member promising you a job upon graduation somewhere that you would like to work, don't go.

Wow, I didn't realize the job market was that bad. Would it be safe to say this can be blamed on the recession or is this just a fact of life for all graduates now?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

Even if that were true it would be because everyone who didn't get a job in Maine because it's impossible and because it's loving maine where zero degrees is warm left.

Sir, that is a glorious trainwreck of a sentence. I had to re-read it four times. (I'm not criticizing, I'm admiring. I have a thing for sentences that technically work but are trainwrecks.)

The Good posted:

Wow, I didn't realize the job market was that bad. Would it be safe to say this can be blamed on the recession or is this just a fact of life for all graduates now?

Read up on the OP again, and read some of the articles linked in the past few pages. The lovely job market is the result of structural flaws in the way the legal industry worked, and the way in which law schools make money. The problems in today's legal job market were brought to the surface by the recession, but the truth is that this issue was a ticking timebomb. The legal job market is not going to track the economic recovery at all, because it was operating on an unsustainable model before. The legal job market is going to continue to suck for the foreseeable future.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Shang Yang posted:

uhhh, wouldn't that be ranks more than a hundred, hence more than 20? Your school'ss rank is good enough, get in your application. It's those other people down at the bottom of the barrel who'll have a tough time.

cc state atty office, so prestigious those hartford yaellers and camford boys can't get in

Oh OK I misunderstood you my bad. Well I appreciate the sentiment but apparently I blew it, I would have had to obtain an interview through the school since they came for OCI--I didn't really pay much heed to 3L OCI.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

J Miracle posted:

I didn't really pay much heed to 3L OCI.

wait... what? Did you have an expectation of a coming job elsewhere, such as from 2L summer, and just got screwed when that fell through? I can't imagine being jobless without any certain future, and ignoring OCI/career services.

Anyway, you're right; I talked to an intern who's going through the hiring process, and the first round interviews are done.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Maine owns.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Shang Yang posted:

wait... what? Did you have an expectation of a coming job elsewhere, such as from 2L summer, and just got screwed when that fell through? I can't imagine being jobless without any certain future, and ignoring OCI/career services.

Anyway, you're right; I talked to an intern who's going through the hiring process, and the first round interviews are done.

My school's 3L OCI program was hilariously sparse and included a couple firms that were playing games and didn't hire anybody, a 100% commission insurance sales job, and your office (apparently). I read the initial email full of useless poo poo and never really looked back. If your office was on the initial email, I missed it; if it got added later, then clearly I should have looked back. Ce sara sara I guess.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

Petey posted:

Maine owns.

Well poo poo... could you please elaborate on that? This thread is depressing by the way.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Shang Yang posted:

My school's 3L OCI is a joke. I'm currently talking to adjunct professors, seeing who does what in my town and having them try and set up lunches for me.

Then again, a 3L friend of mine with poo poo grades got a call from the assistant dean because a big firm wanted a mechanical engineer. He just did his conflicts check with them.

:sigh:

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Petey posted:

Maine owns.

oh, have you practised law in Maine?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
The administration lied to me, I hate law school, my girl won't give it up anymore, bullshit bullshit bullshit, bloo bloo bloo.

I'm having the time here between SD and Berkeley, most of yall chose poorly like that evil guy at the end of Indy 3.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

J Miracle posted:

and your office (apparently).

This office gets thousands of applicants for a handful of jobs, but I reckon you'd at least get an interview with those sorts of credentials. The office is huge, and cc has the largest/busiest crim courthouse in the world, so it's too prestigious for applicants from bottom ranked schools like harverd.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

Maine owns.

One of the AAGs that I deal with all the time was born and raised in Maine. I can authoritatively say that Maine accents are the coolest accents.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

BC people are fleeing to Maine for summer jobs. Abandon hope.

edit-

Stunt Rock posted:

:smug:

just hoping one day I can have an job. with an office. where i can hang movie posters.

good placement though.

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Petey posted:

Maine owns.
I like to incorporate Maine-isms picked up from a lifetime of reading Stephen King novels into my speech

also, I will die a virgin

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

The Good posted:

As everyone said, the legal market is getting progressively worse, but if it weren't for the recession I would probably have a job. Again, this really only applies to people who are doing fairly well at what are ostensibly fairly good schools. Not Maine.

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The responses I've received to my question so far are interesting.

I guess what I find most interesting is that law school can be so expensive. Perhaps it makes obvious sense to spend the cash if you got accepted into Yale and can take advantage of the opportunity, but otherwise, I don't quite understand what justifies the high price tags.

In many other professions there are easier barriers to entry that you can choose to hurdle over if you want to--certifications, etc. This is my 2-minute-theory on the issue: These imperfect substitutes (other ways to enter the professions) must work in some way to bring the competition (the universities, whatever) into check. For example, if there are two ways to become a widget-pro, the first being to earn a masters, and the second being to earn a certification, the two representing organizations must compete with one another to some extent. If one gets ridiculously out of hand, obviously they will lose business to the other. This doesn't seem to be the case for the law profession, where there is virtually only one single path to entry. That's kind of what I'm intuitively thinking, although I don't know a whole lot about the field so this could be way off.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

This is why:

Holy poo poo I'm graduating from college and don't have a job or have any idea what to do with my life. Hey I've got it! I love to argue, I'll just take out loans and continue going to college.

The high price tags exist because there are tons of people willing to take out loans pay them without thinking about how they'll ever pay them back. If there were some other path to being a lawyer then law school may be less expensive, but you'd still have shitloads of people clamoring to go.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 29, 2010

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS

stingray1381 posted:

I know I'm being lazy, and I could look this up, but how do law schools differ from med schools? Why are med schools able to control their numbers?

Organic Chemistry and the MCAT also opening up a new MD school practically requires an act of congress. MD schools also are incredibly selective the lowest MD schools have a 3.5 science GPA and a 26-27 MCAT not to mention the hoops you have to jump through and each student must be interviewed.

MD schools also must be affiliated with a hospital and have a huge start up costs and there are limits for how many students you can take in since the training must be well. Also the faculty can protest if the Admin wants to overload them with students so numbers are kept under control. Also it is illegal for any LCME school to be for profit. For this reason M.D schools are not money makers.

This doesn't apply to D.O schools though.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Good posted:

Well poo poo... could you please elaborate on that? This thread is depressing by the way.

Well allow me to explain:

+

BigHead posted:

One of the AAGs that I deal with all the time was born and raised in Maine. I can authoritatively say that Maine accents are the coolest accents.

I thought about posting the video of my great-grandfather holding me during my first father's day and gurgling completely incomprehensibly. But that seemed weird.

So instead here are a couple of similar-spoken dudes from Maine showing off their home-built drag saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VE2f-dg7qI&t=202s

The Good if you have trouble understanding this Maine not be for you.

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 30, 2010

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
So, I bombed the LSAT. I guess I am bowing out, for the moment. I will pursue other avenues, but man, to be honest? Being a lawyer was always my dream and this kinda sucks.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zealous Abattoir posted:

So, I bombed the LSAT. I guess I am bowing out.
Congratulations, and I mean that literally.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Zealous Abattoir posted:

So, I bombed the LSAT. I guess I am bowing out, for the moment. I will pursue other avenues, but man, to be honest? Being a lawyer was always my dream and this kinda sucks.

Even if you went to law school, you probably couldn't find a job practicing law. :)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Yeah no it really doesn't. Good for you :)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Don't think of it as bowing out, think of it as winning a hundred and fifty thousand dollars.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn
On the other hand, you'll likely never be granted rights of audience, and will never have the experience and wisdom that comes with practising law. It really is an unfortunate situation, and you missed out on something, but it's not entirely you're fault. The system is broken.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

This thread has really made me rethink law school as a possible career path. Basically, if I don't do incredibly well on the LSAT, I'll probably reconsider.

Anyways, I suggest everyone here go and watch Liar Liar to cheer themselves up.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
I will be enjoying my last semester of law school with the following courses: (1) Emotion and the Law; (2) The Wire Seminar. For a fleeting moment I thought about possibly taking Family Law or Business Associations but then I remembered that I'm paying BarBri $2,000. gently caress all of you who won't be writing a 15 page take-home final on Hamsterdam.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
So the judge I clerk for went to the same lawshool as me (networking with alumni pays off folks). He asked me what a half decent grade was for graduating kids, because he's getting flooded with applications for next year's clerk. After googling "UMN law quartiles" I told him that the average grade was 3.35something. He just bust out laughing and said "Christ are they giving out As by the bushel or what." I said yes. And I meant it.

Goddamnit school, you can't grade inflate everyone and pretend that you're legitimate. Also, goddamnit profession, you can't grade inflate EVERY loving SCHOOL and pretend that you're legitimate.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

blar posted:

I will be enjoying my last semester of law school with the following courses: (1) Emotion and the Law; (2) The Wire Seminar. For a fleeting moment I thought about possibly taking Family Law or Business Associations but then I remembered that I'm paying BarBri $2,000. gently caress all of you who won't be writing a 15 page take-home final on Hamsterdam.

:hfive:

Literature and the Law, International Criminal Law, and two relevant courses for my last semester.

Wish we had a Wire seminar here. I'd even settle for a Shield seminar :smith:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Ohh What do we have here? A Taco Shop featuring a man in a kilt?

LOL why didn't the picture load :(

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Roger_Mudd posted:

Ohh What do we have here? A Taco Shop featuring a man in a kilt?

LOL why didn't the picture load :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Tac-owned! :taco:

Only registered members can see post attachments!