Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
nothing to see

I r triple post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The Good posted:

This thread has really made me rethink law school as a possible career path. Basically, if I don't do incredibly well on the LSAT, I'll probably reconsider.

Anyways, I suggest everyone here go and watch Liar Liar to cheer themselves up.

"Law school" isn't a career path. Law school is what you go through for three years on your way to being a lawyer. If you're not interested in being a lawyer three years from now you shouldn't go to law school.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Realized this was answered in the thread!

bub spank fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 30, 2010

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
We seriously only get one LSAT score reported and then it's back to taco chat? I hope some more drift in, mainly from people who've actually posted in this thread before.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MoFauxHawk posted:

We seriously only get one LSAT score reported and then it's back to taco chat? I hope some more drift in, mainly from people who've actually posted in this thread before.

Maybe they all killed themselves.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
So my local law school (University of Nebraska) is low T2, costs less than $14,000 a year for in state students, and claims an employment rate of 88% with a median salary of $52,000. Are they inflating their numbers or is Nebraska a mythical paradise where graduates can actually get a job that allows them to repay their loans in a timely manner?

Edit: I have no intention of going to law school, I'm just curious since their claims don't seem to match up with what is posted in this thread.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 30, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
If you would rather piss $42,000 away for a worthless degree, I'm more than happy to accept your money-piss.

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.
I just took the LSAT for the second time in October. I had a 164 before. Now, a 175.

edit:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

I Am Not Clever posted:

I just took the LSAT for the second time in October. I had a 164 before. Now, a 175.

edit:

Congrats! It is possible that you might get into a top school and not get a worthless degree and no job. On the other hand, many before you have scored higher and are now jobless.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
lol wtf are you doing in Everett.

I Am Not Clever
Jul 2, 2005
Seriously.

Petey posted:

Congrats! It is possible that you might get into a top school and not get a worthless degree and no job. On the other hand, many before you have scored higher and are now jobless.

Thanks. Even with your qualifying statement, that is a much more positive response than I expected from this thread.

sigmachiev posted:

lol wtf are you doing in Everett.

lol! I live in Seattle now and when I signed up for the test, Everett was the only one still available. It worked out well, because it was a great place to take the test. Big, wide desks.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
When I took my LSAT it was at an HBCU thirty miles south of my university because our LSAT date coincided with a home football game and on our campus it was administered right across the street :toot:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

I Am Not Clever posted:

Thanks. Even with your qualifying statement, that is a much more positive response than I expected from this thread.

lol! I live in Seattle now and when I signed up for the test, Everett was the only one still available. It worked out well, because it was a great place to take the test. Big, wide desks.

In that case from one Seattle homie to another I'm thrilled for you and invite you to apply to Berkeley and come kick it.

E: A 175 is probably worth The Believer at 13 Coins if you're looking to celebrate. You could go filet at The Met but that's just ritzy, The Believer is true comfort.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 30, 2010

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blar posted:

I will be enjoying my last semester of law school with the following courses: (1) Emotion and the Law; (2) The Wire Seminar. For a fleeting moment I thought about possibly taking Family Law or Business Associations but then I remembered that I'm paying BarBri $2,000. gently caress all of you who won't be writing a 15 page take-home final on Hamsterdam.

I gave real thought to writing about Stringer's New Day Co-Op for my business associations paper

nigga is you takin notes on a criminal fuckin conspiracy

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Konstantin posted:

So my local law school (University of Nebraska) is low T2, costs less than $14,000 a year for in state students, and claims an employment rate of 88% with a median salary of $52,000. Are they inflating their numbers or is Nebraska a mythical paradise where graduates can actually get a job that allows them to repay their loans in a timely manner?

Edit: I have no intention of going to law school, I'm just curious since their claims don't seem to match up with what is posted in this thread.

The key here is that the employment rate of 88% almost certainly includes graduates working as waiters/crack dealers.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'd go to law school again to take a seminar on The Wire instead of stupid Law and Economics like I did.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

more friedman units posted:

The key here is that the employment rate of 88% almost certainly includes graduates working as waiters/crack dealers.
Also, remember that the salary average is going to be inflated simply by the numbers that self report. $52k average?
You can basically do that with a BA and not be too qualified for those jobs and save money. gently caress that noise.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Konstantin posted:

Every law school does this. Not only is $52,000 dollars insanely low as a median salary due to the fact that the degree still costs $42,000 above and beyond an undergraduate degree, but it still reflects the bimodal salary division among the legal profession, just in a lower way. In other words, $52,000 median means the top 10% graduates make 85k and everyone else is making $20k.

Which means they are counting the bartenders and the "solos" living intheir mom's basement.

Does that sound like a great way to spend 42k after whatever you spent on your undergrad?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I put real thought into writing an optional paper for my tax class about the personal income tax consequences (and general tax policy) of interstellar space travel, particularly relativistic problems in slower-than-light travel. It'd be awesome, but I already have 4 papers to write this semester.
:goonsay:

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Defleshed posted:

Every law school does this. Not only is $52,000 dollars insanely low as a median salary due to the fact that the degree still costs $42,000 above and beyond an undergraduate degree, but it still reflects the bimodal salary division among the legal profession, just in a lower way. In other words, $52,000 median means the top 10% graduates make 85k and everyone else is making $20k.

Which means they are counting the bartenders and the "solos" living intheir mom's basement.

Does that sound like a great way to spend 42k after whatever you spent on your undergrad?

Also considering the way schools game their salaries, this probably means that the actual median is less that 40k.

Which is ridiculous.

E - Speaking of slower that light trading, you should probably read this if you haven't: http://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 30, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

E - Speaking of slower that light trading, you should probably read this if you haven't: http://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf

Yeah I found that paper linked on the freakonomics blog during tax and was immediately inspired.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Just some more perspective on the instate T2 situation:

University of Kentucky is pretty similar. In-state tuition is around 17k, median reported salary is around 70k.

I am in (probably) the top third of my class, no journal, and have placed/scored very well at two national trial competitions. I am a non-trad with 4 years active duty USMC and 5 years police officer experience.

I clerked at the oldest law firm in Lexington my first summer (97k starting salary) and a small firm last summer (47.5k starting) last summer.

The big law firm called me in September to say they weren't hiring anyone(:rubshands:) in the Lexington office. I have accepted an offer from the second firm.

Here's what my 60k in student loans got me:

47.5k per year with 1900 billable requirement.
First 250.00 of group health care plan paid. (p.s. I have a 4 member family, average expected monthly premium is about $1200)
401k contribution.
7 days vacation per year. (:lol:)
Free soft drinks.

I left a job making around 30k, so my expenditures and lost wages are around $150k dollars. I won't recoup my investment for at least 7-8 years. That's how long it will take before this "law school" plan starts paying dividends.

What I'm saying is that it is a loving stupid idea to go to law school, even if you want to be a lawyer, unless you can do it absolutely free of charge.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

I Am Not Clever posted:

edit:

Congrats. I absolutely bombed mine. Trying to figure out what to do with my life now.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Enigma89 posted:

Congrats. I absolutely bombed mine. Trying to figure out what to do with my life now.

Go teach English for a year.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Former Everything posted:

What I'm saying is that it is a loving stupid idea to go to law school, even if you want to be a lawyer, unless you can do it absolutely free of charge.

But what about thinking like a lawyer you can't put a price on that.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Weren't you living in Germany? Why not try and work there? Like Scraps said, teach English.

Trust me WW2OL-bro, bombing the LSAT is the best thing to ever happen to you.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Weren't you living in Germany? Why not try and work there? Like Scraps said, teach English.

Trust me WW2OL-bro, bombing the LSAT is the best thing to ever happen to you.

I am an unique snow flake so I am going to apply anyways. My goal is to get into University of America (#2 in the country for international law), I still have a chance to get in there and we will see. If not then I will take a year off and start my finger painting career.... That or go back to Germany and teach English to kids.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

University of America (#2 in the country for international law)

Turn left Dale! Nooo

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Enigma89 posted:

I am an unique snow flake so I am going to apply anyways. My goal is to get into University of America (#2 in the country for international law), I still have a chance to get in there and we will see. If not then I will take a year off and start my finger painting career.... That or go back to Germany and teach English to kids.

:ughh:

This is a troll.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Well I got my LSAT score today (161). Not amazing, but not horrible--with some luck I can pick a decent school in my region.

Any advice on personal statements?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Does anyone know where I can find a good resume sample for attorneys who have been out a few years? I've got an awesome shot at a position I've always wanted but I haven't updated my resume since law school.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

CaptainScraps posted:

:ughh:

This is a troll.

I wish it was =\

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AshB posted:

Well I got my LSAT score today (161). Not amazing, but not horrible--with some luck I can pick a decent school in my region.

That's pretty horrible. There are no decent schools you're getting into with that.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

AshB posted:

A PS is like trying to sleep with a women. Be interesting, and be direct. No women/admissions officer wants to hear about how hard life has been if you cry like a girl about it. You can compel with overcoming the odds only if you actually overcame some long odds (because that would be interesting).

Also explain why you want to go to that particular school (people go back and forth on if this is a good idea, I'm strongly in the "yes it is" camp), and what you're trying to do with a law degree. Be mature and centered but not self-centered.

Also retake LSAT, you can beat a 161. It's not horrible but its not what you want.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 30, 2010

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

" I got my LSAT score! It's not great, but not bad at all, and will be really easy to improve by December. Woohoo!"

Do I try to help her, or do I just sit back and watch?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Also retake LSAT, you can beat a 161. It's not horrible but its not what you want.

That was my retake. :suicide:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

AshB posted:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

"Thinking like a lawyer law student."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AshB posted:

That was my retake. :suicide:

The only way to move forward is to move away. Pick a different career are you retarded or something

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Chakron posted:

" I got my LSAT score! It's not great, but not bad at all, and will be really easy to improve by December. Woohoo!"

Do I try to help her, or do I just sit back and watch?

All the schools she's applying to are T2 or worse.

Watch, I guess. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I admit its very stress relieving to say "I'm not going to be a lawyer." whenever people ask.