Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
You get to watch The Thin Blue Line, dotCommunism.

I really enjoyed Modern Times. Chaplin's physicality and sense of timing haven't failed yet to leave me in stitches. Some of the jokes you could see coming from a mile away, but his facial expressions always sold it.

Also watched L'Atalante from my list, which overall left me feeling rather lukewarm, though I really enjoyed the dancing scene in the bar.

Updated list:

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Wild Strawberries or Persona I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African
Queen
, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
tokilltheshunflower, you get to watch La Strada.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that The Seventh Seal is nowhere near as austere and dull as I expected. I kind of feel sad that I didn't see it when I was 10 or 11, when I was going through a major spiritual crisis. That feeling of the silent god is so resonant to me, as I remember desperately looking for something, anything that would show evidence of God, and finding nothing. The cinematography is perfectly orchestrated, with my favorite shot being when {spoiler] they all see death, and plead for their lives[/spoiler]. I was also glad that the actors survived, so it wasn't all bleak grimness. :unsmith:

*A Clockwork Orange - Uh, weirdly, I actually bought this for five bucks at a used Movie/Music/Video Games store, six months ago. But I've been kind of leery of watching it because I really don't like watching rape on film. It just makes me feel unclean.

*8 1/2 - really no excuse for this. I've seen four Fellini films (La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, and Amarcord), and loved all of them. I just have a weird thing about foreign films where, unless they have action or comedy, it seems like homework to watch them. I feel tremendously guilty about this impulse.

*Singin' in the Rain - I've seen clips from it, enough that I feel like I've seen the whole thing, but...I'm pretty sure I haven't. Which is weird, because Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors ever.

*Apocalypse Now - I watched part of it on cable on vacation in a hotel room when I was young, and then my parents made me change the channel. Ever since, I've felt like I'm doing something wrong every time I make an attempt to watch it, so I don't.

* The Seventh Seal.
Tokyo Story - Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm always weirdly wary about getting bored by foreign films with no action scenes.

*Jaws - uh, I have no idea why I've never seen it, guess I've just never said to myself "you know what movie I absolutely have to watch right now? Jaws, man."

*Pulp Fiction - I starting watching this once, and liked it up until the Bruce Willis section, where I got so bored, I stopped it, and returned it to the library the very next day. Recently I bought a copy, hoping that I would change my mind, as it's universally regarded as a classic. But I haven't worked up the motivation yet to actually watch it.

*Unforgiven - Uh, I kind of hate Mystic River, which started me off on a bad foot with the directing work of Clint Eastwood. But I recently watched Gran Torino, and loved it. And then also High Plains Drifter. So, it might just be up my alley after all.

*The 39 Steps - Being a huge Hitchcock fan, I'm guilty about not having seen this already.

*Eraserhead - well, I've always heard it was kind of squicky.

Watch list: The Seventh Seal

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Spatula City posted:

Unforgiven - Uh, I kind of hate Mystic River, which started me off on a bad foot with the directing work of Clint Eastwood. But I recently watched Gran Torino, and loved it. And then also High Plains Drifter. So, it might just be up my alley after all.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you so I'm betting you'll really enjoy Unforgiven.

I may be the last person on this thread to finally see Touch of Evil. All I can say that hasn’t been said so many other times is that this one took me a while to get into but I was hooked once the ball got rolling. Also, after seeing the drunk outtakes for Orson’s Paul Masson it was great to see he can actually control a drunken persona. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

A Nightmare on Elm Street – I’ve seen most horror classics by now but have never had any interest in this movie.

Amadeus
Touch of Evil
Heat – I have no excuse.

Das Boot – Nabbed this one from the imdb top 250. I don’t watch a lot of war movies even though on the rare occasion I do watch I often times love them, including Letters From Iwo Jima, Apocalypse Now, Downfall and Joyeux Noël.

The Godfather Part II
The Green Mile – For a while I confused this with another movie and avoided it but for some reason I never saw it once I found out what it really was. I love Shawshank and The Mist so I should probably watch this.

The Karate Kid – Recently a friend of mine informed me this is actually a worthwhile film. I was under the impression it was not.

The Maltese Falcon – I love film noir detective stories to death but haven’t seen this. I know not why.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) – Watched the original and I keep putting off seeing the remake even though I love Hitchcock.

Pi – I once lied and said I saw this. I did not.

Saving Private Ryan
Hotel Rwanda - I keep putting off watching this because "it's SO depressing" even though I've seen plenty of Holocaust films.

To Kill a Mockingbird
King Kong (1933) – I know this is supposed to be a classic but I already know everything that happens and terrible stop motion animation just takes me out of a film unless I'm watching it for camp value.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Watch The Maltese Falcon. It's one of my absolute favorite noirs.

La Strada was fantastic. I loved the character of Gelsomina, and found myself relating to her in more ways than I care to admit. The entire story had me from start to finish, especially the last 15 minutes or so, heartbreaking as they were. And I love that he left her the trumpet.

New listy:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita Fellini is becoming one of my favorite directors.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Wild Strawberries or Persona I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

North by Northwest I've seen parts of this before, and know the basic story.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower - you get Persona. Might be my favorite Bergman.

The Thin Blue Line was great, and very depressing. Very different from Errol Morris's earlier films. The film didn't shake my worldview, but I regularly read about the problems in the criminal justice system. Still, there were definitely points where all I could do was shake my head.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line
The Haunting - I've seen a few Wise films and this one's pretty well regarded, plus it fits the whole horror film criteria I've got going.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small - another Herzog which I've been wanting to see for quite a while. Supposed to be one of his best.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein
The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
dotCommunism - go with Even Dwarfs Started Small

The Seventh Seal - Tells you how loving lazy I am since this was from the first page but I thought it was great. I heard alot of people say there was humor in this one but the only thing I thought was kind of funny in a extremely hosed up way was when the Blacksmith made the actor dance like a bear. Some sections felt a little :words: but it was all needed. Also the music reminded me of The Twilight Zone for some reason. Gave it a 83/100 on Criticker

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

The Seventh Seal
City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

The Man With No Name Trilogy: I have them sitting on my shelf, I have them sitting on my hard drive. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns so it has always been one of those "one day I'm going to marathon through them in one sitting...when I have nothing to watch" things.

Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down. (And I do have a Netflix account so I can watch it in HD)

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Between having my wisdom teeth out and my monthlong meditation on Mulholland Drive..I disappeared from thread for a few weeks.

The Sting was good. Genuinely surprised me near the end. It was interesting that they used all of that Joplin music.

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#109 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

Sporadic posted:

The Man With No Name Trilogy

I've never been a fan of watching classic anthologies in quick succession. I like to let them sink in for a few weeks at least. But you could do all three I guess or just A Fistful of Dollars.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

penismightier posted:

Odd Man Out was really good, but I was unfairly expecting something as good as The Third Man. Luckily I loving LOVE James Mason and found my pants charmed off. The soft-spoken inspector was endlessly captivating.It reminded me a lot of The Informer, only a tiny bit better.

This is my 30th movie from this thread. I love this thread.

I've enjoyed it too.

I couldn't wait to catch another of your posts just to recommend it to you. Most people aren't familiar with Carol Reed films. I am lucky in that I saw "Odd Man Out" before I saw "The Third Man," but enjoyed both immensely. "The Third Man" is one of my favorite movies.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Zogo posted:

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

This is close to being my favorite movie and Ennio Morricone's score is my favorite music ever, so you're watching this long motherfucker.

The Last Waltz was a lot of fun and I've been listening to a lot of The Band now. I wish it would have focused a bit more on the other members of the Band than Robbie Robertson, but it's hard to complain when you get great renditions of "Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "Don't Do It".

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zogo posted:

I've never been a fan of watching classic anthologies in quick succession. I like to let them sink in for a few weeks at least. But you could do all three I guess or just A Fistful of Dollars.

Guess I'll spread these over three nights.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sporadic posted:

Guess I'll spread these over three nights.

They get progressively better as you go along. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

As for Apocalypse Now, I'm at college and the library only has a VHS copy. Since it's not on Netflix Instant I'm waiting for them to get it in on DVD from a inter-library loan.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

They get progressively better as you go along. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

As for Apocalypse Now, I'm at college and the library only has a VHS copy. Since it's not on Netflix Instant I'm waiting for them to get it in on DVD from a inter-library loan.

It will be monday :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TrixRabbi posted:

If you can, grab the Blu-Ray. It is presented in it's theatrical 2:35:1 aspect ratio (first time on home video) and looks goddamn amazing.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

meanmikhail posted:

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

The only thing on your list that I've actually watched is Chaplin's City Lights. so watch that. It's great!

So The Battle of Algiers was amazing. The way the movie was shot combined with the time it was made makes all the action look like real footage. I liked that while the movie tended to side with the rebels, it didn't hesitate to show them doing awful things. An overall excellent look into modern warfare that resonates just as well today as it did when it was released.

1. Seven Samurai
Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers
The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas
Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing
The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more?

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Atheistdeals go ahead with On the Waterfront

I had a lot of fun with Jackie Brown. It's definitely Tarantino's most restrained movie, but a great character study nonetheless. It really played like a '70s crime film. I enjoyed it.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) The Seventh Seal- gotta start somewhere with Bergman
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Vertigo- tightening up my Hitchcock faults
9) Mulholland Drive- more David Lynch to explore
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
Mistletoe Donkey - Go watch Mulholland Drive, it is David Lynch at his best. One of my all time favourite films.

1. Barry Lyndon - One of the few Kubrick movies I haven't seen yet.
2. 8 1/2
3. Seven Samurai - Tried watching this a few times, after 10 minutes I'm never in the mood.
4. Once Upon A Time In The West - Supposed to be better then TGTB&TU?
5. City Of God - Watched the first 30 minutes, can't remember why I didn't finish it.
6. Paths Of Glory - Another famous Kubrick movie I haven't seen.
7. The Third Man - Haven't watched a lot of noir, but just got done watching M and I liked it.
8. City Lights - Never watched a silent film before.
9. Pan's Labyrinth - No excuse I should have watched this by now.
10. Million Dollar Baby - Again, no excuse.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

JohnnyDavidson watch The Third Man. It's a spectacular film.

I thought On the Waterfront was very good, though not all that great outside of the acting. Brando really knocks it out of the park, and the other actors all do fine jobs themselves. Lee J. Cobb gets special mention for being great in this and 12 Angry Men. The two things I disliked most about this movie- the awful, overbearing score and the corny upbeat ending.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

7. Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Atheistdeals.com that's quite a list you have there. I'll go with Wild Strawberries.

The Crucified Lovers is pretty standard Mizoguchi, which means it's right on that cusp of greatness. I'm always amazed how much mileage he could get out of the same themes of class restrictions, doomed love and subjugated women and how his films are very distinct despite their many similarities. I thoroughly enjoyed this, especially the way the character nuances are slowly revealed and the way the more outcast the leads are the more free they become. Films where the outcome feels predestined by either the writer or the world of the film are always a bit hard for me to truly embrace, but Mizoguchi always manages to make me put aside my reservations.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Fantomas I liked Les Vampires, so let's give another silent serial a shot.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue Next up from directors I like but haven't seen in a while, Peckinpah.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

I haven't seen a single movie on your list, so I'll just pick this first one for you. I hope it lives up to your expectations. Also, just out of curiosity, what movie would you give a 10 out of 10?

Finally saw The Red Shoes and was underwhelmed. It was beautifully shot, don't get me wrong, but the movie was overly long. It seems that the story took a backseat to the theater aspect of the movie and so by the time plot points came around, I just didn't care. The theater and show segments were quite beautiful and the dancing and music were wonderful, but I just couldn't care about the people. The movie too it's sweet rear end time even letting the two lovers MEET each other. Not a movie I'll be inclined to watch again.

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Raging Bull. Going into this one blind. Don't even know who plays the main character. It's about boxing, right?

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 1, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, what movie would you give a 10 out of 10?

He has several of them listed at the end of his post.

Anyway, glad someone finally picked that for PA. I've been wanting to, but I'm not ready to jump back into the running yet. One of the best films of the last 10 years? Well, it'd be in my top 50 or so.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Bodnoirbabe - you get Eraserhead because it owns and I've seen it a few times and I still have trouble figuring out what the hell is going on sometimes.

Even Dwarfs Started Small was pretty awesome. I really like Herzog, and there were definitely things from this that could be seen in some of his later movies, particularly Stroszek. The way he deals with a complete breakdown in society is pretty interesting. Also anything with a crucified monkey is good in my book.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line
The Haunting - I've seen a few Wise films and this one's pretty well regarded, plus it fits the whole horror film criteria I've got going.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small
The Godfather - people say some good things about this I guess???

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein
The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

dotCommunism watch The Godfather.

Wild Strawberries was wonderful, I think I even liked it better than The Seventh Seal. While the movie is about an old man's past mistakes and regrets, there is enough warmth and joy to keep the film from being too somber. The dream sequences were well done and not tacky at all. It's just a beautiful movie.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I haven't seen a single movie on your list, so I'll just pick this first one for you. I hope it lives up to your expectations. Also, just out of curiosity, what movie would you give a 10 out of 10?
I don't have any expectations since I know nothing about it so as long it's good I'll be happy.

I give a 10 out 10 to the best movies I see, it's bit of a gut thing but it's that simple. I'll admit I'm stingy on the 10s, out of 3450 or so movies there's only 56 I've given 10/10. A movie I think is great will get a 9 or 9.5, getting a 10 requires that extra something that makes me go "wow I loved that and it was impressive too" which probably depends on my mood to some extent. About half those movies I've given 10 to are ones I've seen more than once, many of which didn't get a 10 the first time so for there to be 5 out of 88 in this thread getting that score is impressive. Beyond those from this thread I'd give 10 to The Red Shoes, There Will Be Blood, Dr. Strangelove. , City of God from what you've seen for this thread and Vertigo from your list. The last 10 I've seen is Jeanne Dielman which I rewatched about 2 months ago and worked even better the second time and didn't feel slow at all. Also Lawrence of Arabia and Casablanca which is why I've recommended each so much in this thread.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Atheistdeals.com posted:

There's some terrific movies on your list, but I picked this one because it's one of my favorite Welles films from my favorite Kafka novel, and Anthony Perkins is great in it.

Finished City Lights and I really enjoyed it. I'm regretting not getting into any of Charlie Chaplin's films sooner, because he's just a delight to watch on screen, and this one is no exception. The spaghetti sequence had me giggling (that's right, giggling) like I haven't in ages. I think I might slightly prefer The Great Dictator if only for the pudding sequence and the impassioned plea near the end, but I'd definitely watch this again.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated The Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Modern Times- Might as well continue the Charlie Chaplin run.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
meanmikhail, let's keep the Chaplin going with Modern Times

I've been marinating on Mulholland Drive for a few hours and I think I'm ready to go ahead and watch it again. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Now i want to go back and piece it together. I love movies that are open to interpretation and I think this is my favorite Lynch film. Just a fine, fine piece of film making.

9) The Godfather 2- watched the first and loved it but never got around to this

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

meanmikhail, let's keep the Chaplin going with Modern Times

I've been marinating on Mulholland Drive for a few hours and I think I'm ready to go ahead and watch it again. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Now i want to go back and piece it together. I love movies that are open to interpretation and I think this is my favorite Lynch film. Just a fine, fine piece of film making.

9) The Godfather 2- watched the first and loved it but never got around to this

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive

Mistletoe Donkey you're watching The Godfather Part 2. I like it even better than the original.

High & Low was an excellent Kurosawa movie. It was very interesting to see Mifune in a modern-day role, and he was excellent, as was the actor who played the lead detective. The police procedural was compelling, though it ran out of steam near the end especially with the over-long scene in the jazz club.

New list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. Repulsion - always wanted to see this. Catherine Deneuve.
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low

Arturo Ui fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 2, 2010

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I hope no one minds if I jump in here, I've been wanting to get in for a while. Hopefully this thread can help me fill out my holes.

Arturo Ui, I'd go with It Happened One Night. It's a drat good film as far as classic Hollywood romance goes.

Here's my list:

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics." I know nothing about this except for it being Darren Aronofsky, which is certainly fine by me.
2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - A gaping hole in my movie watching. Never been motivated enough to get to it.
3. Spartacus - I only have a couple Kubrick films to see and this is one. Another hole, it seems.
4. Adaptation - Again, need to get to the modern classics. I like what I've seen of Spike Jonze.
5. Masculin, féminin - Godard seems great to me; I love A Woman is a Woman and Pierrot le fou, and Breathless is pretty good, I'm eager to watch his other films
6. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - Gaping hole, I'm big on horror and Night of the Living Dead is a great film, no excuse for this.
7. City Lights - Behind on Chaplin too, only seen The Gold Rush
8. Notorious - I love Hitchcock, but I don't know if I can say that having not seen this one
9. Boogie Nights - I guess I'm just really bad with films after 1990...
10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now, not sure why I haven't, sounds interesting enough

Looking at this list, I'm more behind than I think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PDMChubby, a few people around this forum don't like Dawn of the Dead. A few people around this forum are wrong. Give it a shot.

Watched Strangers on a Train the other night. It was pretty fun, not my favorite Hitchcock. Some kinda deadweight filler in the middle, and not quite as strong a sense of suspense as his other films I've seen. Plus, Farley Granger makes for kind of a boring, bland protagonist. He's not a terrible actor (I really like his facial reactions in the opening scene), but the part as written doesn't have a lot to chew on.

For the good, though: Robert Walker is loving astounding. That actually might be why I viewed a lot of the film as dead weight. Any time Walker isn't on screen, the picture really wants for his absence. His scenes at the carnival and in the dinner party are just amazing, and he's got so many nice little ticks and quirks (I love when the train passenger asks him for a light, and he puts away the cigarette lighter and busts out a pack of matches instead). The visual style is amazing, too, bringing that whole 'noir' look to a non-typical noir story - that is to say, it lacks the whole 'tragedy' edge that I see as a key component in noir stories. Maybe that's just my expectations, though. Oh, and the climax is pretty drat exciting. Overall a solid 8/10.

Here's my updated list:

The Thin Man: I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: I need to see more classic silents, and the clips I've seen of this looked really loving cool.

Stray Dog: One of the few major Kurosawas I haven't seen. I intend to work my way through all his movies eventually.

The Devil Rides Out: I love Hammer Horror films, and this one looks cool.

Scenes from a Marriage: Saw the full five-hour version at the library the other day. I better be ready to get really depressed, I guess.

Elevator to the Gallows: I keep coming across this at the library. I haven't read the back of the box and literally know nothing about it other than it seems to be acclaimed and I really like the title.

Seen: The Manchurian Candidate, Rear Window, Faust, Serpico, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Strangers on a Train

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Once Upon a Time in America -
This could be the supreme mafia movie. I liked it better than any in the Godfather Trilogy. The kid actors in this film should've received top billing. I'd call them "young enterprising individuals." It covers so many topics smoothly. I was also impressed with how we were transitioned back and forth between three time periods so effortlessly. It's something I've seen screw up many films before but in this it was just right. Also, it was another memorable score from Morricone that gets stuck in your head. Makes you want to go out and mess with a pan flute.

Pan flute is really underused http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU

BTW does Leone know how to make a bad..even average film? All that remain for me are The Colossus of Rhodes and Duck, You Sucker!

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#110 On the Waterfront - All I know is that Marlon Brando makes a famous speech.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Go with this.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Zogo posted:

Once Upon a Time in America -
This could be the supreme mafia movie. I liked it better than any in the Godfather Trilogy. The kid actors in this film should've received top billing. I'd call them "young enterprising individuals." It covers so many topics smoothly. I was also impressed with how we were transitioned back and forth between three time periods so effortlessly. It's something I've seen screw up many films before but in this it was just right. Also, it was another memorable score from Morricone that gets stuck in your head. Makes you want to go out and mess with a pan flute.

Pan flute is really underused http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU

BTW does Leone know how to make a bad..even average film? All that remain for me are The Colossus of Rhodes and Duck, You Sucker!

New List:

#110 On the Waterfront - All I know is that Marlon Brando makes a famous speech.

Go with this.

Well I'm glad you loved my last recommendation (and I'm with you on the "better than The Godfather" sentiment), because you're getting another one. On the Waterfront is another favorite of mine and Marlon Brando's performance is the reason I decided to become an actor, so I hope you'll like it. As for Leone's other movies: I haven't seen Colossus of Rhodes, but Duck, You Sucker! isn't too bad at all from what I recall.

Modern Times: I loved this movie. I was laughing throughout very loudly and honestly found the ending to this one even more moving than the ones for either City Lights or The Great Dictator. Every segment is full of hope and joy and hilarity, and it's a movie I plan on seeing again very soon.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated The Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

10. The Gold Rush- More Chaplin? Well don’t mind if I do!

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

meanmikhail posted:

It was that or Grave of the Fireflies, which I have seen. I figure I'll go with the one that's also on my list.

Juno - I figured the dialog would be worse near the beginning, which it was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I wouldn't rate it anything higher than just above average. If someone plays it in the room with me, I wouldn't get up but I wouldn't seek it out again.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Grease - Never really seemed like my kind of thing.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Anatomy of a Murder - An oldie I don't know much about.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. The Right Stuff - Never ran across it in the past and never had an interest in seeking it out.
10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Pushpak, Juno

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Don't Look Now - God, Nicolas Roeg movies are exhausting, aren't they? It was beautiful edited and pretty haunting, but a bit overwrought. Donald Sutherland was great as usual (him speaking Italian was hilarious), and Julie Christie had this amazing simultaneous sadness and optimism. A creepy little movie.

chemosh6969, time to watch The Right Stuff

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 3, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think you mean Don't Look Now (Christ, I hated that movie).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think you mean Don't Look Now (Christ, I hated that movie).

Yeah, good call. The Dylan documentary had fewer raincoats.

I feel like it's the type of movie that I'm going to either like a lot more or a lot less with time.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

I haven't seen any of the films on your list, and this is the only one that I've even heard of.

I just watched The Trial and I loved it. Such a strange, creepy atmosphere combined with unique locations, flawless camera work, perfect editing, and great acting. Perkins is excellent as a confused, depressed man who is slowly driven mad by the world's bizarre and unfair justice system. This movie has so many memorable images. Orson Welles really was a genius.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

AtheistDeals: You get Adaptation. It's a very clever movie. Hope you enjoy

I watched "Do the Right Thing", and though I enjoyed the style of the movie, I didn't really care for or could really relate to the message though. I think I'm just peeved that they turned Sal into an "enemy" when it was pretty clear to me that the boombox guy and the guy who was upset about the photos were in the wrong.

My updated list:

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

zandert33 posted:

I watched "Do the Right Thing", and though I enjoyed the style of the movie, I didn't really care for or could really relate to the message though. I think I'm just peeved that they turned Sal into an "enemy" when it was pretty clear to me that the boombox guy and the guy who was upset about the photos were in the wrong.

Sal wasn't really portrayed as the "enemy", I thought the movie was trying to show all the characters as victims of racism. The black community was victimized due to the unjust death of Radio Raheem and Sal suffered as a scapegoat for their rage. But both characters did things to incite the other side (Radio Raheem attacking Sal during his protest and Sal's unwillingness to include any black people on his wall of fame) but neither of them deserved the cards that were ultimately delt to them.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Desiato posted:

Sal wasn't really portrayed as the "enemy", I thought the movie was trying to show all the characters as victims of racism. The black community was victimized due to the unjust death of Radio Raheem and Sal suffered as a scapegoat for their rage. But both characters did things to incite the other side (Radio Raheem attacking Sal during his protest and Sal's unwillingness to include any black people on his wall of fame) but neither of them deserved the cards that were ultimately delt to them.

The problem I have is that I don't think Sal was wrong for not putting a picture up. It's his shop, it's an Italian shop and he wants pictures of Italians I don't see anything "wrong" and he wasn't trying to start a fight, though I think he did pull a bat too early

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
zandert33, watch Schindler's List

It took me two months but I finally got around to watching my first Satyajit Ray film Pather Panchli. It was beautiful, serene, heartbreaking, humane and just a great portrait of a family. It very much reminded me of The Scent of Green Papaya, looking forward to continuing the Apu Trilogy.

Also watched Ishtar which is quite funny at points and unbearably annoying at others, it never rises to the awfulness that is bestowed upon it. It's more in the how the hell did anyone ever think this was a good idea for a movie camp.

Switching it up a bit, I'm just going to have movies from directors on the TSPDT that I haven't been exposed to.

Battle of Algiers
Germany Year Zero (Rossellini): While I admire Italian neo-realism, I never crave it.

Pather Panchali
The Birth of a Nation (Griffith): A three hour racist silent film, fun.

Metropolis
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein): Just not the kind of movie I ever really feel the need to pop in.

Evil Dead 2
The Red Shoes (Powell and Pressburger): Scorsese always raves about it.

Once Upon a Time in America
Last Year at Marienbad
The Leopard
La Jetee (Marker): I know that 12 Monkeys is based on it and that it's short.

Written on the Wind
The Sound of Music
Ishtar
The Crowd (Vidor): Highest PSI for a Vidor film, know nothing about it.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette): Him and Marker are the only French New Wave directors I haven't been exposed to.

The Last Picture Show
La Belle et la Bete (Cocteau): Original Beauty and the Beast.

From Russia With Love
White Heat (Walsh): I'm aware of the famous line at the end.

Easy Rider
Earth (Dovzhenko): See Battleship Potempkin

toro913 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
I'm jumping in here fresh, hope no one minds.

toro913, I've heard some pretty great things about The Red Shoes, so you get that.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
I like Pixar, but haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet.

3. Lawrence of Arabia:
Waiting to see this on the big screen if it ever plays around here, but I might have to suck it up and watch on my laptop.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. Fishing With John:
It sounds funny, but I'm not sure if the humor would be enough to justify the running time.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.