Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pureauthor posted:

The need to keep up the trend of two more new women being unusually interested in Megaman per Legends game.

Uhh Tron anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
Found all my old MegaMan X drawings from elementary school!

Some Maverick bubs:

The trademark icons are priceless

This is some of the MegaMan Y stuff I drew that I was talking about a while back:
Hahahaha wtf

I wanted to make a MegaMan movie at one point. Go figure.

And a drawing I did the other day just for kicks:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Orcasword posted:

Found all my old MegaMan X drawings from elementary school!

Some Maverick bubs:

The trademark icons are priceless

This is some of the MegaMan Y stuff I drew that I was talking about a while back:
Hahahaha wtf

I wanted to make a MegaMan movie at one point. Go figure.

And a drawing I did the other day just for kicks:

Aww, those look like the drawings my friends and I used to make. :3:

Good memories.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I sent a letter to Capcom when I was a kid but they replied with a standard "lol nothx, keep up the good work" auto-letter. But to this day I mantain I designed or at least inspired Starman and Tomahawkman.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Old school Snake Man needed a friend.

E: It would actually be pretty cool if you re-fought boss robots in pairs, in bigger rooms or something.

Janderbuilt fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 29, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The heroine contest is over, and She-Hawk lost out to Girl with Weird Zipper Sleeves: http://www.capcom-unity.com/mikeeb13/blog/2010/10/29/mega_man_legends_3_project_-_new_heroine_design_results!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My favourite design placed 8.

Curse you, harsh and cruel world. Curse you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Inafune is leaving Capcom.
Interview (Japanese)

This should be interesting to see how it effects Legends 3...

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 29, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, wow. He apparently wants to keep making games though, and claims that his reason for this is because it would be "death for a creator" to stay in a high position. He also says, however, that he probably won't be working with Capcom again.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I stopped caring about Mega Man the moment it became anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

I stopped caring about Mega Man the moment it became anime.

So you never liked Mega Man then?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So you never liked Mega Man then?

Pretty much. I came into the series really late into the NES days (due to my age) and then I rented Mega Man X and it was terrible. So I rented Mega Man X2 and it was terrible. And then for some reason I rented Mega Man X3.. I wasn't the brightest child.

I think the only game I liked since Mega Man 6 (not counting 10) was Mega Man Battle Network.

10 is awesome though holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Pretty much. I came into the series really late into the NES days (due to my age) and then I rented Mega Man X and it was terrible. So I rented Mega Man X2 and it was terrible. And then for some reason I rented Mega Man X3.. I wasn't the brightest child.

I think the only game I liked since Mega Man 6 (not counting 10) was Mega Man Battle Network.

10 is awesome though holy poo poo.

The problem here is that the NES games were also anime. In fact, they were a thinly veiled homage to Neo-Human Casshern with a slight bit of Astro Boy art style. That's all they've ever been.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Really, using 'anime' as a derogatory descriptor just feels lazy somehow.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this. You felt everything else Mega Man related was too anime, but you enjoyed MMBN? I don't know how that is possible.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The problem here is that the NES games were also anime. In fact, they were a thinly veiled homage to Neo-Human Casshern with a slight bit of Astro Boy art style. That's all they've ever been.

I'm not eager to get into an argument as to what is and isn't anime (it seems odd to me to put that label 8-bit graphics), but I will say the style it transitioned into was not to my satisfaction. The 3D games are definitely the biggest offender in my book.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 29, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm not eager to get into an argument as to what is and isn't anime (it seems odd to me to put that label 8-bit graphics), but I will say the style it transitioned into was not to my satisfaction. The 3D games are definitely the biggest offender in my book.

That's fine if you didn't enjoy the gameplay of the later games, but "anime" isn't really a description that makes that clear, especially since you've praised Mega Man Battle Network which... well, to put it bluntly, is pretty fuckin' anime-inspired.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That's fine if you didn't enjoy the gameplay of the later games, but "anime" isn't really a description that makes that clear, especially since you've praised Mega Man Battle Network which... well, to put it bluntly, is pretty fuckin' anime-inspired.

That's mostly from skipping all the 'cutscenes' and just collecting poo poo and doing battles. I really liked the gameplay.

Edit: It also helps that it's a game that uses pixels. (I just plain didn't like the gameplay in the SNES X games.)

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 29, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those games used pixels too. In fact, every game, ever, has used pixels. I don't think you understand the definition of the word "pixel". I think you're talking about the isometric world design, right? Or are you talking about the in-fight layout?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Those games used pixels too. In fact, every game, ever, has used pixels. I don't think you understand the definition of the word "pixel". I think you're talking about the isometric world design, right? Or are you talking about the in-fight layout?

I believe he says that he mostly likes the games that use sprites, but doesn't like the gameplay of the X games or the 3D visuals of the Legends games. Which seems pretty straightforward and reasonable.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

6 am posting. Sprites.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Captain Invictus posted:

What about the games that use voxels? :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

The Kins posted:

Interview (Japanese)

So what does this mean for the future of the Megaman series?

Will we ever see a conclusion to the X or ZX storylines?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

I wonder if this is related to his MML3 heroine design getting dead last in the polls.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
How could anyone not like the SNES Megaman X games? All three are essentially perfect action-platformers. MMX3 is one of my favorite games of all time, easily. Too bad it was so drat rare back in the way. Rented it once from Blockbuster, went back a week later to get it again and...gone.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

So what does this mean for the future of the Megaman series?

Will we ever see a conclusion to the X or ZX storylines?

Given that, from what I recall, he was the only major person in capcom that actually wanted to conclude stories, no. No we will not.

I'm not really suprised that my favourite design was in 8'th place, and the creepy lolicon design got third, but I hope.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Graviija posted:

How could anyone not like the SNES Megaman X games? All three are essentially perfect action-platformers. MMX3 is one of my favorite games of all time, easily. Too bad it was so drat rare back in the way. Rented it once from Blockbuster, went back a week later to get it again and...gone.

I prefered X1, It seems that as a megaman series goes on the sub-weapons become more and more useless. X1 had a whole bunch of cool tools to use, from temporary invincibility to air funnels that would tear through large enemies. One of the highlights of the game for me was going through Sting Chameleon's level with the flamethrower and just wrecking everything. The X3 subweapons on the other hand were garbage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Well, now that Inafune is out of Capcom, we'll hopefully not have to worry about the storylines of his future games being left incomplete.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can expect the MML series to finally conclude at 4.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The heroine contest is over, and She-Hawk lost out to Girl with Weird Zipper Sleeves: http://www.capcom-unity.com/mikeeb13/blog/2010/10/29/mega_man_legends_3_project_-_new_heroine_design_results!

Mother fucker. She-Hawk was the best.

The Kins posted:

Interview (Japanese)

MOTHER FUCKER. For me, this is like the worst news ever. Mega Man and Dead Rising are two of my all time favorite videogame series EVER. Well, there goes my hope for any more good sequels. :cry:

What we can look forward to is a million more X6s instead of Mega Man 9s. :suicide:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
I dunno, Mega Man 10 didn't have the same "oomph" that Mega Man 9 brought back.

I just considered it a one time fluke in the right direction, and a whole lot of bad afterwards.

Also doesn't help that I hate Dead Rising as a whole. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wonder if anyone will go with him. It really sounds like he wants to start his own business making games, but for that you need a qualified team. Splinter companies like Platinum Games, Nazca Corp. and Treasure usually come out well, but they always come from a group or studio, rather than a single man leaving a company so I wonder if something like that is happening.

EDIT: vvv Appearantly he wasn't very happy with his job, but with Japanese business it's hard to tell.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
He finally gets to make MML3 and then he leaves Capcom? Is he leaving on his own power or is he being forced out?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Edoraz posted:

I dunno, Mega Man 10 didn't have the same "oomph" that Mega Man 9 brought back.

I just considered it a one time fluke in the right direction, and a whole lot of bad afterwards.

Also doesn't help that I hate Dead Rising as a whole. :v:

Mega Man 10 wasn't as good as Mega Man 9. Not a bad game, though.

However... I think this may just be our perception. Mega Man 9 came out after Mega Man 8 by more than a decade. Even longer if you don't count 7 and 8 and are just talking about the NES games. Mega Man 10 just... didn't feel as exciting.

Overbite posted:

He finally gets to make MML3 and then he leaves Capcom? Is he leaving on his own power or is he being forced out?

It really is the worst possible time for him to leave. After MML3 was done, I would be pretty okay with it, honestly.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Inafune has chronic depression. There is no other way of explaining this.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I really can't believe he's leaving. :( It seems like such an odd time too, with Legends 3 on the horizon and all. I don't get it, honestly. "Hey man, know that dream project you've wanted to work on for the past 10 years? GREENLIGHT!" And then he just quits a month or so later? I hope he at least worked out all the storyline stuff for the development team.

Dude's been acting odd for a while, constantly talking about how much he hates his job and how much the Japanese game industry sucks, so I can't say I'm all THAT surprised. I really figured he'd at least wait until after Legends 3, though.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think that the gameplay differences between the 8-bit megaman games are negligible, so the best games are the ones with the soundtracks I like the most.

10 made some improvements it needed to make over 9: brought back multiple pathways and rotating weapons with the shoulder buttons. Proto-man is in the game from the start, and the menus are much better. Tons of little things.

But at the end of the day:
-the weapons suck
-the minibosses just don't seem to have the charm that they did in 9
-the music is worse overall (still good, but not as good)

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 30, 2010

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

The Whole Internet posted:

I think that the gameplay differences between the 8-bit megaman games are negligible, so the best games are the ones with the soundtracks I like the most.

Tornado Man in MM9 had some loving rad music.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wily's Stages (and boss fight) in MM9 were awesome tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Inafune has chronic depression. There is no other way of explaining this.
Depression + Promotion outside his depth (from what I figure, there's some term about Japanese Businesses promoting older people in positions that sound high but are basicly there to stop them making a mess of things but it's out of my head) = Burnt out dood.

I figure that he had to get out whilst there was something there to burn elsewhere.

Though he could choose his timing a bit better so it doesn't come off as a tizzy over him getin' dead last in a character design contest.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 30, 2010