Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
For those that bombed on this last Otober LSAT, what killed you? I looked at my scores and I was shocked to see what happened. I did great on Reading Comprehension and Logic Games, the two areas where I studied the least. I studied the MOST on Logic Reasoning and I got absolutely destroyed on both of them. The hell? Did this last LSAT have a lot of certain questions in LR that were not normal? If I would have scored the same in LR that I did in RC or LG, the I would be doing backflips right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Two of the four sections you were graded on were LR? I thought my year we only had one graded LR section.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2013

Thrombosis
May 7, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

For those that bombed on this last Otober LSAT, what killed you? I looked at my scores and I was shocked to see what happened. I did great on Reading Comprehension and Logic Games, the two areas where I studied the least. I studied the MOST on Logic Reasoning and I got absolutely destroyed on both of them. The hell? Did this last LSAT have a lot of certain questions in LR that were not normal? If I would have scored the same in LR that I did in RC or LG, the I would be doing backflips right now.

The same thing happened to me. I ended up having to do 3 LR sections and it was just brutal on my mental speed since it was my most difficult section. I haven't looked over the sheets, but from what I remember after doing the test was that they went against a lot of the stock "rules" taught by Powerscore and Kaplan -- they suggest that the answers with the stock logical reasoning error descriptions (ad hominem, circular, etc) tend to be wrong. However, I seem to remember several instances where they actually were the correct answers so that may have thrown some people if they were too dogmatic about tips and tricks. I know I had to revise some of my assumptions while writing the test.

There's also usually a brutal stretch in the 20s on each LR section where it's just saturated with difficult questions, so stumbling there may not be recoverable if it throws your timing/confidence/pace.

I haven't looked over the PDFs, but those are my initial thoughts.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

AshB posted:

That was my retake. :suicide:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

This is the worst thing you could do and you are a dumb.

Why are you trying to move forward with this.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Someone on our mid semester surveys in my IP class actually complained that we're not doing enough work.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Petey posted:

This is the worst thing you could do and you are a dumb.

Why are you trying to move forward with this.

You are on the verge of making the worst mistake of your life. This is your one easiest moment to say "no, perhaps I won't go to law school after all" and save yourself and maybe have a chance at some kind of career but instead your attitude is "oh well no harm in trying"

there is quite a bit of harm in trying don't do it you dolt

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

AshB posted:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

Don't please. Don't do it. You could seriously ruin your life. Please just go do anything else. It will be hard on your family but they don't understand. Please listen.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

AshB posted:

AshB I swear to god if you go to law school I will cover your house in poo poo.

Liquid poo poo, so it dries like a layer of paint then your house will be covered in poo poo paint.

Also, I got my friend to talk to his friend at Nike SB (the skateboarding division) and he hinted at a legal summer job position, so my life might not be extremely horrible next summer.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I am an unique snow flake so I am going to apply anyways. My goal is to get into University of America (#2 in the country for international law), I still have a chance to get in there and we will see. If not then I will take a year off and start my finger painting career.... That or go back to Germany and teach English to kids.
I hope that you won't perceive what I'm about to say as insulting, because I think I understand where you're coming from, but international law is ridiculously difficult to break into. I was an editor on an international law journal at a T14 and, as far as I know, none of the editors on my journal managed to secure a job in the field. One of my good friends has solid work experience, is fluent in four languages (including English, French, and Russian), has a JD from Georgetown and a master's from the Sorbonne, and is now working on a tax LL.M because she's given up on practicing international law. #2 in the country for international law isn't good enough to give you anything resembling a reasonable shot at practicing in that field. If you think that going back to Germany to teach English might be something you'd enjoy, I would strongly urge you to do that instead.

Ainsley posted:

You are on the verge of making the worst mistake of your life. This is your one easiest moment to say "no, perhaps I won't go to law school after all" and save yourself and maybe have a chance at some kind of career but instead your attitude is "oh well no harm in trying"
Seriously AshB, this is your best opportunity to not make a horrible mistake. You might feel like you have to go to law school, but you really don't. Take a step back and think it over before diving off the cliff.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 31, 2010

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...
It truly is horrible out there. I'm actually excited to be an applicant for Marine Corps OCS and *hopefully* eventual commission as a JAG. Doesn't hurt that the vast majority of law students can't come close to meeting the PFT requirements. I'll use whatever advantage I have for a job.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
You'll get in everywhere you apply!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

It truly is horrible out there. I'm actually excited to be an applicant for Marine Corps OCS and *hopefully* eventual commission as a JAG. Doesn't hurt that the vast majority of law students can't come close to meeting the PFT requirements. I'll use whatever advantage I have for a job.

You'd be surprised. A lot of law school people are fitness freaks. Whole lot of runners, not a lot of weight lifters, some cyclists.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

Would you be going PLC-LAW, or straight OCS without a law guarantee and thinking you'll pick JAG up later?
BTW, you'll be commissioned as a Marine Corps officer, not as a JAG. JAG is merely an MOS. (military occupational specialty)

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Discovery sucks.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

Discovery sucks.

God does it ever.

So do MSJs.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

God does it ever.

So do MSJs.

I have to write one of those next and it's going to suck but I'm probably going to win and there's no pressure because even if I lose the MSJ I'm confident that I will win at trial.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CaptainScraps posted:

So do MSJs.

Don't worry, those of us on the court end of the equation hate reading them as much as you hate writing them!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

CaptainScraps posted:

You'd be surprised. A lot of law school people are fitness freaks. Whole lot of runners, not a lot of weight lifters, some cyclists.

Opposite here. I know one person who runs frequently. Students either (1) never go to the gym, ever or (2) do strength training 3+ times a week. There are a lot of swole law students this year.

Today, a guy in my fraternity told me how stoked he was to get his 161 back. Don't worry, he's planning to do JAG so nbd it won't be a problem to get into. I told him that .5% on a good day get accepted and the fact that he's been a pack a day smoker for 4 years probably won't work out so well for the whole fitness thing but what do I know I was dumb enough to go to law school.

But seriously, I hope that I don't hit a wall where I become sad, depressed, and homeless because I'm enjoying law school way more than undergrad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Alaemon posted:

Don't worry, those of us on the court end of the equation hate reading them as much as you hate writing them!

I have opposing counsel who outright lies about the cases in his motion. Makes everyone's lives suck.

And I'm doing research on Halloween. woooooo.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 31, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Yeah the whole "I'll fall back on JAG" thing doesn't work out so hot, it is ridiculously competitive to get into any branch.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn
This motion talk can't be any worse than def atty motions wherein the entire thing has been lifted from a previous case. And by everything, I mean the old fact pattern is still in there.

Hmm... defendant should get a new trial because police improperly raided his home. Funny, I thought this was an agg bat outside a club... oh wait nvm the defence attorney is mildly retarded :doh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shang Yang posted:

This motion talk can't be any worse than def atty motions wherein the entire thing has been lifted from a previous case. And by everything, I mean the old fact pattern is still in there.

Hmm... defendant should get a new trial because police improperly raided his home. Funny, I thought this was an agg bat outside a club... oh wait nvm the defence attorney is mildly retarded :doh:
What is worse is writing a motion where the fact pattern is exactly the same as in the case you're citing and you still don't know if you'll win because the judge loves the DA.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

What is worse is writing a motion where the fact pattern is exactly the same as in the case you're citing and you still don't know if you'll win because the judge loves the DA.

maybe the judge loves the DA because he is a shining paragon of virtue

did you consider that

also I am kind of doubtful, because every time I've heard or read a def atty say that the fact patterns are the same, they're invariably different. it's like def attys live in an alternate universe

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

Discovery sucks.

I like discovery. :shobon:

But I imagine discovery is a little more interesting in the crim defense world, especially as so much of what I get is audio/video.

PS gently caress the police

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
My friend just got a 156 on her LSAT and I just made an rear end of myself trying my damnedest to convince her to at least retake it if it didn't dissuade her from going to law school.

She's a smart girl but she's one of those people who decide that they want to be a lawyer after doing poorly in their freshman year of pre-med :smith:

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So you got a C in your organic chemistry?

D+ actually, how did you know?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shang Yang posted:

maybe the judge loves the DA because he is a shining paragon of virtue

did you consider that

also I am kind of doubtful, because every time I've heard or read a def atty say that the fact patterns are the same, they're invariably different. it's like def attys live in an alternate universe
Does this really old bit have a broken shift key now?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Save me jeebus posted:

I like discovery. :shobon:

But I imagine discovery is a little more interesting in the crim defense world, especially as so much of what I get is audio/video.

PS gently caress the police

Plus discovery in crim defense is, like, a 20 minute tape of the traffic stop and a picture of / access to the knife, and is not 17,000 emails about Tonka Truck label contracts.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

CaptainScraps posted:

God does it ever.

So do MSJs.

No they don't. Lots of billables, and it is when you usually figure out what the case is about.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

Plus discovery in crim defense is, like, a 20 minute tape of the traffic stop and a picture of / access to the knife, and is not 17,000 emails about Tonka Truck label contracts.

Except when it's 68 hours of your client's phone calls from the jail, dumped on you 10 days before trial.

In Spanish.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
MSJs own and are a defense lawyer's reason for living

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

No they don't. Lots of billables, and it is when you usually figure out what the case is about.

I feel bad because I'm going to have like 8 to 10 hours of billables from scanning 2 years worth of emails to send for discovery and if I had any sort of support staff I could just make them do it and charge way less.

So far I'm sitting at 289 documents scanned yesterday and will probably hit 500 today.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

MSJs own and are a defense lawyer's reason for living

Defense lawyer gets $2000-$2500 for writing one.

I get $100 for writing the response and my boss gets nothing.

And we usually win.

And then defense counsel usually files another one to get a second bite at the apple, despite his only new evidence being new affidavits from his experts and opposing counsel in the underlying case.

And then...well, gently caress if I know, hearing Tuesday.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 31, 2010

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Solomon Grundy posted:

This. And when you win as a defendant, your client is stoked.

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...

joat mon posted:

Would you be going PLC-LAW, or straight OCS without a law guarantee and thinking you'll pick JAG up later?
BTW, you'll be commissioned as a Marine Corps officer, not as a JAG. JAG is merely an MOS. (military occupational specialty)

Yep, PLC-Law. I'm still learning a lot about the specifics, and will probably get a fair amount wrong as things progress- but I believe you are correct about JAG being merely the MOS. That's part of what actively interests me about it. Of course "going JAG" is not a guarantee and it's definitely not a fall back but I'm giving it my full attention currently. I'm finishing up my rough application with my OSO's guidance and attending various applicant pool events where we do PFT's and different "class-room" experiences like land navigation and compass work.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mookie posted:

This. And when you win as a defendant, your client is stoked.

And then you get to bill for an appeal, too.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Done and done!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

I'm finishing up my rough application with my OSO's guidance and attending various applicant pool events where we do PFT's and different "class-room" experiences like land navigation and compass work.

Haha it's so funny how much different Army JAG is than Marine JAG. I was an enlisted Marine and I'll take chillaxing behind my desk as an Army JAG over that oorah semper fidelis motivator bullshit anytime, I care not if there are fatbodies sitting next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

You people are monsters.

:colbert: