Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It does seem dim. The best, most obvious example is that the text in this screencap, which should be white. That's not to mention that the colors are washed out and way less candy-colored than they were in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I thought Scott Pilgrim was too bright in some cases. The sword fight at the end just seemed like an explosion of light, but I couldn't see what was happening very well.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
As if I didn't have a huge enough backlog of things to get through, I just found out that the complete series of Slings & Arrows came out on Blu this week. Went to eBay to see if there were any auctions at a fair price - found one ending in an hour, starting price of $19.99 with no bids. Nobody even bothered to outbid me and now I'm getting this loving sweet set of a great show for 75% off SRP. Thanks eBay!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Slings-and-Arrows-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/14467/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo_Reloaded posted:

All of Universal's day-and-date releases have been great, and there's really no reason for this to be any different. For a brand new film, you just downrez and encode from the digital intermediate - there's really no room for transfering or mastering errors. Really all they could screw up is the encode, and that's not what those reviews sound like. More like the reviewers just subjectively didn't like the color timing or something. And looking at the screenshots in that first review, I really don't see anything wrong - exceptional detail, very fine grain/noise structure (the film was a mix of film and HD video footage), and nothing that looks out of place.

I really can't stand Blu-ray reviews anymore - even when they're spot on, it feels more like a broken clock being right twice a day than any real insight into the quality of the disc. I don't understand how these people who are supposedly professional reviewers continually get it wrong over and over again. I'm at the point where the only opinions I really care for are the occasional actual film people like Robert Harris who comment on Blu-rays - at least that gives a bit of real perspective on the source. All these reviewers saying "Well BTTF was an 80s film so its meant to have an odd digital sharpness to it" and then criticize the color timing of a brand new film with a digital intermediate are just too ridiculous.

I dunno man, according to a lot of chatter all over the internet, the desaturation definitely seems to be a problem endemic to the Blu-Ray.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

2/1/11

Blu-Ray.com just posted what the special features are.

- Operation Wonderland (now in HD)
- "I'm Odd": newly discovered Cheshire Cat song and intro
- Thru the Mirror Mickey Mouse animated short (now in HD)
- One Hour in Wonderland
- An Alice Comedy: Alice's Wonderland
- Original theatrical trailers (1951 & 1974)
- Through the Keyhole: A Companion's Guide to Wonderland:
- Disney View: Watch the movie in this expanded viewing experience with new Disney art in the wings of the screen
- Painting the Roses Red game: Help paint the roses red in the Queen's garden. Careful, or someone could lose their head!
- Walt Disney color TV introduction (1959): A never-before-seen color TV intro by Walt
- Reference Footage: Alice and the Doorknob: Kathryn Beaumont provides an introduction to this newly discovered reference footage of Alice talking to the doorknob
- Pencil Test: Alice Shrinks: Kathryn Beaumont introduces a newly discovered pencil test of Alice shrinking
- Reflections on Alice

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

I dunno man, according to a lot of chatter all over the internet, the desaturation definitely seems to be a problem endemic to the Blu-Ray.

In your best estimate, do you think this might end up being an issue similar to Gladiator or Gangs of New York where it might get a really fast re-release (and possibly an exchange program?) or is something like this too minor?

I'm asking because I was all set to buy this day one but it's pretty loving expensive, especially if the picture is subpar.

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

RichterIX posted:

In regards to my earlier post about The Girl Who Played with Fire: I didn't realize that this and the third one were basically made-for-TV movies and shot in 16mm. I was wondering why the second one looked so much shittier than the first.

It was made for both TV and the big screen, and it was 35mm, not 16. It's a strange system for some big movie projects in Sweden that they make a longer TV version and a cut for the theatrical release.

The "Arn" movies had the same deal. Also "Fanny and Alexander".

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

eLGee posted:

It was made for both TV and the big screen, and it was 35mm, not 16. It's a strange system for some big movie projects in Sweden that they make a longer TV version and a cut for the theatrical release.

That's what I get for ever reading the blu-ray.com forums

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So how can I tell if I have a bad Gladiator release? I picked it up used on blu and I actually thought it looked ok but to be honest I wasn't looking for issues at the time. If it does have a brightness issue it would be nice to get it replaced but I suppose since I bought it used I am screwed.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ApexAftermath posted:

So how can I tell if I have a bad Gladiator release? I picked it up used on blu and I actually thought it looked ok but to be honest I wasn't looking for issues at the time. If it does have a brightness issue it would be nice to get it replaced but I suppose since I bought it used I am screwed.
If the barcode is yellow, then that's the reissue.

Edit: I seen to be thinking about Saving Private Ryan and according to one forum: "Look to see whether the back box says "2 Disc Edition" that's over the Paramount logo. If it does, then it's the old crappy encode. If it doesn't say that, then it's the new version."

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 31, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Remember when MGM put out Blus with no special features but threw in a DVD with special features on it? Well... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049M7BHA?tag=bluray-012-20

I hope they have an exchange program :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

In your best estimate, do you think this might end up being an issue similar to Gladiator or Gangs of New York where it might get a really fast re-release (and possibly an exchange program?) or is something like this too minor?

I'm asking because I was all set to buy this day one but it's pretty loving expensive, especially if the picture is subpar.

The picture honestly isn't that bad; some people just feel like it's a mote duller than the theatrical presentation, color-wise. There's no way it'll warrant a re-release though.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

doctor thodt posted:

The picture honestly isn't that bad; some people just feel like it's a mote duller than the theatrical presentation, color-wise. There's no way it'll warrant a re-release though.
That is such a shame though. It is like if Speed Racer was less vibrant on bluray.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I can't make a full judgment until I see the disc on November 9th. But the screenshots don't look problematic to me - it looks how I remember. I feel like much of the movie was in dim environments, and the only colorful aspects were the CGI effects. It was nothing like Speed Racer.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I never saw the film theatrically but...

Click here for the full 960x1080 image.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 31, 2010

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

frumpsnake posted:

Which one is which?

Theatre v. Blu?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

If I had to guess DVD vs. iTunes trailer

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Blu-Ray shot from DVDTalk vs Apple trailer.

I initially didn't see any differences until I saw that shot, some of the others seem about the same, so who knows if the Apple trailer reflects the theatrical presentation or not.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

Well poo poo that's pretty bad looking to me. I haven't seen the movie yet but that is a pretty big difference.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Just so it's clear, thats not a blu-ray screen it's the dvd. But the Blu-Ray and DVD both have the same brightness, which I think looks better. The inside of the cup is blown out on the iTunes trailer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, seeing them back to back makes the iTunes trailer look like rear end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

frumpsnake posted:

It was too dark in the theater, so this is good. Regardless of any issues have to own this even if the blu ray isn't top quality. The film was top notch. Doesn't it release in a few days?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Kilometers Davis posted:

It was too dark in the theater, so this is good.

The top one is the DVD/Blu-ray.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So when in the name of gently caress are they going to say something about The Abyss blu ray??? This is probably like my most anticipated blu ray ever. I feel like since there has never been an anamorphic release that I haven't ever truly "seen" this movie. Just knowing that Cameron is doing some beautiful work when he brings his films to blu so far makes me so drat excited for whats next.

If he can do for The Abyss what he did for Aliens this should really be something.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

frumpsnake posted:

There's like a two second difference there, someone obviously slipped and fell on the dimmer in between.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RichterIX posted:

The top one is the DVD/Blu-ray.

Weird, it looks exactly how it was in the theater. I saw it in a lovely dollar theater though.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Trailers are not representative of the final film. Regardless of whether or not there is a problem with the BD, the iTunes trailer is not going to be the smoking gun that lets us know.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApexAftermath posted:

So when in the name of gently caress are they going to say something about The Abyss blu ray??? This is probably like my most anticipated blu ray ever. I feel like since there has never been an anamorphic release that I haven't ever truly "seen" this movie. Just knowing that Cameron is doing some beautiful work when he brings his films to blu so far makes me so drat excited for whats next.

If he can do for The Abyss what he did for Aliens this should really be something.

It's most likely going to be Cameron's next film to hit BD for whatever that's worth. There have been numerous hints about it coming out over the last year or two, and he's talked about doing it very recently. I imagine since he has a year between now and the start of production on Avatar 2, that's probably on his list of to-do's (along with True Lies hopefully).

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

It's most likely going to be Cameron's next film to hit BD for whatever that's worth. There have been numerous hints about it coming out over the last year or two, and he's talked about doing it very recently. I imagine since he has a year between now and the start of production on Avatar 2, that's probably on his list of to-do's (along with True Lies hopefully).

Oh I would love me some True Lies on blu. The dvd is pretty piss poor quality too. What the hell gives with that anyways? What ever could have prevented them from making The Abyss anamorphic?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Trailers are not representative of the final film. Regardless of whether or not there is a problem with the BD, the iTunes trailer is not going to be the smoking gun that lets us know.
Of course. Trailers can be unfinished, different takes, non-final, whatever. It could even be the trailer that the reviewer was "remembering" as being brighter and more vibrant. I haven't seen the Blu-Ray nor the film at all, but I presume it's what the reviewer was bitching about. I don't see anything "wrong", just different.

Trailer:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Blu-Ray:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 1, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Yeah, I definitely don't think anything looks "wrong" in the Blu-ray screens. As for different, that's tougher - it looks like I remember from the theater, but I'm not going to be ridiculous and assert that I have a photographic memory and can detect subtle differences seen in presentations months apart. Compared to the trailer, the difference is small, and I think the Blu-ray looks better. It's tough to say what is due to level differences, and what is just due to poor compression, but it looks like a lot of detail is blown out by the raised levels in the trailer and it's just not as pleasing a picture.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Regardless of everything else you can't deny the blu is darker than the trailer picture. I can't be the only one that sees this.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

gently caress The Abyss, wheres Titanic?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

Regardless of everything else you can't deny the blu is darker than the trailer picture. I can't be the only one that sees this.

Of course it's darker than the trailer.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The contrast and coloring is definitely better than the trailer, no doubt about that. Frankly I don't really care if/how it differs from the theatrical picture as long as it's still a visually satisfying experience.

sursumdeorsum posted:

Most likely 2012 after the theatrical re-release (also the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

sursumdeorsum posted:

Cameron is working on a 3D version of it for a theatrical run. It'll presumably come out on Blu-ray after that.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Kick-rear end is $12.99 at Best Buy this week.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Cameron is working on a 3D version of it for a theatrical run.

Honestly, I see this coming out perfectly awesome and blowing everyone away while also setting the standard for 2d to 3d conversions. Cameron isn't going to release crappy 3d (I hope). Holy poo poo, it is going to take a TON of work to accomplish this in a proper fashion.

A question for someone who has seen Alice In Wonderland or Clash of the Titans in 3d in theaters. Does the 3d only appear at certain intervals and on particular objects in the films, or does the entire picture have depth to it like Avatar, but it just looks wrong? What looks off about the 3d? I didn't get a chance to see either of these during their theatrical release.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

sursumdeorsum posted:

Honestly, I see this coming out perfectly awesome and blowing everyone away while also setting the standard for 2d to 3d conversions. Cameron isn't going to release crappy 3d (I hope). Holy poo poo, it is going to take a TON of work to accomplish this in a proper fashion.

Well if 2D-3D can be done well, I certainly think Cameron is best poised to do it. In an interview, he mentioned they were waiting for Titanic conversion samples from something like 30 different conversion studios. They had received the first round of samples, and had asked for some changes and were waiting for those revisions. After that, they'd choose the best 12 or so and send each of them 1/12 of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mr. Nobody is getting a Canadian release December 7 :woop:

• Locked thread