Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Synnr posted:

I'm sorry to bother you guys about this but I wasn't sure who to bother.

My father called me up and was looking for a decent place he can stream live games, presumably all of them. The official ESPN stuff I've looked at doesn't always seem to carry the games he is looking for (Ravens), and the few attempts I've made to find something for him result in a lot of ESPN search hits and some dodgy looking websites. Do you guys recommend anything? He doesn't mind if there is a subscription required.

After Deteriorata's I'd say justin.tv is another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

settes
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a stat that shows the average points scored based on where the drive starts?

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

After Deteriorata's I'd say justin.tv is another option.

Is there a way to find stuff reliably on there? It seems like the last couple times I tried to watch something on there it was like 99% fake streams

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

settes posted:

Is there a stat that shows the average points scored based on where the drive starts?

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/12/expected-point-values.html

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

wrong thread

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I think it was because his dad was a coach in San Francisco and was loved by the fans and always wore a suit, so Nolan was trying to honor him or something and the fans loved it until they realized that Mike Nolan is terrible

IIRC Nolan wore a suit the first time after his father died. The league said he couldn't, and he calmly explained how they'd look to the fans if he wasn't allowed to honour his dad. So they let him and he kept doing it.

I think it's stupid that they can't. Hank Stram would never stand for this hoodie poo poo.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Blackula69 posted:

IIRC Nolan wore a suit the first time after his father died. The league said he couldn't, and he calmly explained how they'd look to the fans if he wasn't allowed to honour his dad. So they let him and he kept doing it.

I think it's stupid that they can't. Hank Stram would never stand for this hoodie poo poo.

I can't imagine what Vince Lombardi would have looked like standing on the sidelines in whatever Reebok brand team windbreaker that's new on nflshop.com this week. Classy looking coaches are bad rear end.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can you imagine the league telling Belichick to wear a suit?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Can you imagine the league telling Belichick to wear a suit?

Belichick would rip the sleeves off just to spite the league :smug:

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
e: wrong thread.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So what do head and position coaches do during the games? If the OC/DC call the plays, do they just make the big decisions on timeouts/punts/conversions etc? How much of an effect does a HC have during the course of a game vs his coordinators/position coaches?

Pop Dog
Jul 11, 2008
It depends on the team, but traditionally they will make the big decisions and they probably have input on their specialty, like when Billick was the HC for the ravens, before he took over play calling duties, I'm sure he had some input on the playcalling even if someone else was doing most of it.

To simplify it, generally OC/Position coaches seem to have the most input directly to the players, while HC's just make the big calls and keep everything organized.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
A lot of this is subject to what coaches are on the sidelines and up in the booth and that varies by team, but basically, as Pop Dog said, the DC/OC will call the play in (except for the HC's who have playcalling duties.)

The special teams coaches and assistants are continually preparing whatever unit might be going out onto the field next dependent on game situation. If your team has the ball on it's own 30 with 3rd down and 15 the ST guys will be arranging the punt unit and getting them ready to go if the offense doesn't convert.

After the defense/offense comes off the field all the players will go to the benches by position (generally lineman and skill players) and go over any significant plays/looks that took place on the most recent drive with the coach responsible for that unit. For example, If the offensive line is seeing the defense stunt or twist in a way they weren't expecting they'll go over this on the greaseboard with the O-line coach and alter the blocking assignments if need be. After the players are done meeting with their position coaches the OC (or his representative amongst the offensive coaches if he's in the booth) will go over what they want to do on the next drive.

During the drive position coaches of the unit on the field might be responsible for rotating and subbing in personnel and sending in hand signals and playcalls. Various coaches also might be assigned specific game scouting responsibilities, in which a coach might watch the defensive line alignments vs. certain formations or look for certain personnel packages of the opposing offense that might tip off a play.

Every coach is busy 99% of the time during the course of the game.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Head coaches have two-way headsets where they can switch from being on the offensive frequency to the defensive frequency, so they end up having input on anything they want. Some head coaches of course are also the primary playcaller for one side of the ball, and in that case they would have much less of an influence on the other side.

In addition to the aforementioned personnel stuff, a special teams coach would typically be checking during the game for protection issues, blocking lanes, and fake opportunities.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Girlfriend-type question, I know. What are those guys on the sidelines who are holding what appears to be a giant glass shield? Collision-proof cameramen or something?

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Kevyn posted:

Girlfriend-type question, I know. What are those guys on the sidelines who are holding what appears to be a giant glass shield? Collision-proof cameramen or something?

Parabolic Microphones. They're good for picking up sounds from a distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_microphone

Pop Dog
Jul 11, 2008

Kevyn posted:

If you are talking about what I think you are, they are trying to pick up sound from the field.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007
I always thought they were sound guys and those were fancy directional mics.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I assumed they were some kind of mics, but I like to pretend they're for reflecting sound waves just to gently caress with everyone.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Doppelganger posted:

I assumed they were some kind of mics, but I like to pretend they're for reflecting sound waves just to gently caress with everyone.

Peyton Manning hears own echo; freaks out and throw 5 interceptions.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Is the phrase "We have this (name)" from anything specific, or did it just evolve from nothing?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doppelganger posted:

Is the phrase "We have this (name)" from anything specific, or did it just evolve from nothing?

I think it's one of many jokes from the intro to that video game. How are you gentlemen. Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us. that one. Cats etc.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sounds like it should be, but it's not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1353

The SAclopedia is useful sometimes.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Nothing to see here.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Trin Tragula posted:

Sounds like it should be, but it's not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1353

The SAclopedia is useful sometimes.

lol one of the edits to that page is by Kuuenbu aka "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" radio goon

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
How come at games in Toronto and London they cover the first ten or so rows of seats with a tarp?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kevyn posted:

How come at games in Toronto and London they cover the first ten or so rows of seats with a tarp?

Don't know, but if I had to guess it would be due to the lack of visibility. Those stadiums would be designed for soccer, which involves fewer players. I would imagine that having 40 or 50 players standing next to the field all game long would leave the bottom few rows without much to look at.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can't speak for Toronto but Wembley isn't designed with football in mind, so if you actually tried to put anyone in the first ten rows, all they'd see is the back of the benches. There's not enough height to see anything over the top of everyone's head, because it's designed for sports with clear sidelines.

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005
will never be able to kill the Grimace
So I've been wondering something. I understand different formations and defenses and all that when watching it pre-snap, but what part of the field do you guys pay attention to once the play starts? I know there's an inclination to watch the ball, but I usually like to focus on the linemen, I feel like it tells you a lot about the play before it develops. Or does it just depend on what happens? I guess I'm trying to improve my own viewing of the game, but I'm also genuinely curious as to how others watch football with the actual play in progress.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I have a simple caveman brain so I watch the ball :v:

I'm more of a defensive minded person. The secondary and linebackers are what I like to watch. After the snap, I try to not watch the ball and see where the receivers are going or the possible routes the ballcarrier has.

I also like to complain about clock management and I'm convinced thousands of games of NCAA 03 through 11 have trained me to be better at it for some reason.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I often watch the tight end because whether it's a pass or run he's usually got an interesting assignment.

Pop Dog
Jul 11, 2008
I try to focus on defensive lineman generally, seeing how both lines are doing.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I watch the ball, because I never really understand what's up with the lineman other than "they're gonna slam into each other".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For me its a two step process that if TV actually gave me Madden-Cam (tm) would be an engrossing three step orgy of information.

First thing you gotta watch is the line, if its gonna be a pass play that needs time to develop all the action starts there. On a run its crucial to see who is where and how loudly you should yell at your tv for terrible run blocking.

Second, if its not a dumpoff in its many forms, you go to watching the ball, as now its a race between the QB furiously looking at poo poo off screen and the d-line that is inevitably coming to destroy him. Then the ball is thrown at something offscreen or at a funky angle and you have to see if the receiver actually catches it or goes anywhere with it.

Alternate: If we have Madden-Cam for every play, you'd be able to watch the routes develop and see exactly how the o-line collapsed, resulting in a hurried QB dumping it off onto a receiver who botched a route and let a rookie CB pick him off like it was a turkey hunt. Basically, give me Madden-Cam every play goddamit.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Don't know, but if I had to guess it would be due to the lack of visibility. Those stadiums would be designed for soccer, which involves fewer players. I would imagine that having 40 or 50 players standing next to the field all game long would leave the bottom few rows without much to look at.

For shame. What do you think Canadians are, Eurotrash? It's because the stadium is mostly used for baseball, and those seats aren't modular - I think in some other stadiums they can be taken away, but we just cover 'em up. It's the same way for the CFL, even though the stadium was designed with the CFL in mind.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
I watch the OL because I had Hutch and Walter Jones on my team. Watching WJ go against JPeppers in the 2005 NFC Championship game against Carolina was ridiculous. There was one play that involved Hutch and Jones literally clearing out 4 or 5 jerseys by themselves.

And then Mack Strong got to the secondary.

Probably the only time I'll use this emoticon but it was straight :a2m:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I keep my eyes on the quarterback and the receivers. I guess you always tend to watch what your team is good at. A few years ago, my eyes were glued to Tomlinson every play.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I always watch Kareem Jackson because who doesn't like touchdowns!?! :cry:

e; Or trainwrecks, for that matter.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Perhaps I have a reptile brain but I look at the movement on the defensive side, especially linebackers. If they show blitz by moving up very close to the line of scrimmage, I will probably watch the line to see how/if the cover the extra attacker.

If they back off, I probably watch the tight end or receiver on that linebackers side. Maybe all the fake-blitz movement put them out of position.

At least that is what I watch until the quarterback gets sacked.
<<< is a Lions fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I read the defense
Read the defense
Read the defense
Read the defense

If I'm watching a Steelers game, I watch the defense pre-snap to see what kooky formation they're running, and I look at the matchups for the receivers. Then when the ball is snapped I watch the linebackers to see what they're doing, then the ball. And all of it at once, really.

On offense I watch Big Ben and scream "THROW THE BALL!" if he doesn't get it out of his hand within 4 seconds. I yell that a lot.

• Locked thread