Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

Why are they wearing samurai armor?

Actually, you'll find that kind of armour all over the place with groups that were not that hot at making things out of metal. Both in North America and all over the pacific region, for example, but you'd also find it among beduins, jungle tribes in Africa and Asia. Here's one example from Micronesia with a mixture of stingray skin, blowfish skin, plaited coconut fibres and shark teeths. I've seen similar armours at the ethnographical museum of Copenhagen, and they are pretty amazing in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Lord Commissar posted:

Why are they wearing samurai armor?

quote:

These are a colorful army, with the wooden body armour worn by some warriors before European musketry rendered it immediately obsolete.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's fine, but the sculpts look EXACTLY like samurais

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Commissar posted:

That's fine, but the sculpts look EXACTLY like samurais

they really don't

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Actually, you'll find that kind of armour all over the place with groups that were not that hot at making things out of metal.
I snerked hard at this thanks to what happened in work yesterday.

Playing Soul Calibur IV on lunch break (there are X-boxes in the office) my opponant tried to convince me that it wasn't unfair that Yoda had a lightsaber and everyone else only had katanas because <WEEABOO KATANA RANT>.

It was difficult to beat him because my eyes kept closing with the pain caused by his aura of stupidity.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Ran a great game of Black Powder last night.

One of my mates was doing so well on his command rolls that after a couple of turns we joked that he was probably using D3s.

3 hours later, on the penultimate turn he realised he was using D3s...

I laughed so much I actually came this close to pissing myself.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My copy of Open Fire! for flames of war arrived today from Maelstrom Games, however my two stugs both have the same miscast on them.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Anyone dealt with the Flames of War customer service before? Are they going to ship me new bits all the way out here in Australia?

e: Wait, their customer service email address is in New Zealand, that gives me hope!

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
They are a Kiwi company thats why!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I had a similar issue (mine weren't miscast, they were actually broken - the pieces were in the box), and Battlefront sent me a new tank body for free.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are some random bits of plastic in the box, they didn't look like they would fit though. I'll go and check.

e: looks like you were right.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 12, 2010

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Oh well looks like my gaming group is revising our plans to do ACW in 10mm. Looks like its 28mm.

Which is a slight bugger int hat I have about £40 worth of Pendraken ACW (confederates) figs.

Anyone want to take them off my hands at a reasonable price reduction?

EDIT- its a bigger load than I realised. If anyone wants the full list drop me an email at amrypooins@gmail.com

UK sale only I am afraid.

Jinjin Bemar fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 12, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KongGeorgeVII posted:

My copy of Open Fire! for flames of war arrived today from Maelstrom Games, however my two stugs both have the same miscast on them.

Anyone dealt with the Flames of War customer service before? Are they going to ship me new bits all the way out here in Australia?

e: Wait, their customer service email address is in New Zealand, that gives me hope!
I've never seen a pair that weren't broken that way. If you call them about it you'll likely get a pair of tank bodies, and then if you get the StuG box you'll have enough spare guns to sort the lot out.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Is there any reason, other than looking good, to put bases on my FoW Tanks?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No Pun Intended posted:

nope

e: and personally I don't like the way it looks because whenever you play on a board that doesn't fit your basing style it looks out of place

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Decided to take the plunge and get into FOW, pending some extra work money coming through.

I've got the Open Fire starter box and have read the rules, which seem straight forward enough*, though it's all abstract to me at the moment so I've no idea how the different elements actually handle on the battlefield, I guess, Arty>Tanks, Tanks>Inf, and Inf>????

The army box sets look to be fairly good value, shame there aren't more of them really. The USSR inf horde looks pretty cool:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx?CategoryID=11760

It has Katsuyasha rocket trucks and these weird mine clearing tanks, which seem like they could be a rarely used gimmick. Plus a million little men to paint. Can the Soviets do anything other than clog the barrels of the enemy with their dead? Cause honestly, that sounds pretty cool.

All the armies look pretty awesome though. What sourcebooks have the lists for US airborne and LW Brits?

* Except for the assault phase, which looks quite awkward. Infantry can only assault 4" IIRC. So, do you throw a load of transports up as fast as can be, and send your guys in?

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 13, 2010

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
On Assaulting:

You get a move in the movement step 6" fire at your reduced moving rate of fire and then assault 4" in the assault step. The assault phase is the most difficult part of the game to get your head around. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Paras?:

Currently there are two periods for late war Paratroopers. The D-1 book has the US and British paras for the Normandy d-day drops and the fighting afterward.

Market Garden is split into two books.

Hells Highway details 30 Corp and the US paras vs FJ.
A Bridge to far details the British paras vs the various German forces in the area.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

BeigeJacket posted:

All the armies look pretty awesome though. What sourcebooks have the lists for US airborne and LW Brits?

You'll find US Airborne in the following books D Minus 1 and Hells Highway

Late War Brits in D Minus 1 (also), A bridge too far, Fortress Europe + some others that I can't remember right now

BeigeJacket posted:

* Except for the assault phase, which looks quite awkward. Infantry can only assault 4" IIRC. So, do you throw a load of transports up as fast as can be, and send your guys in?

Assault is probably the most complex combat you can have in FoW, they are pretty brutal and I wouldn't recommend actually trying to get into an assault unless you majorly out number your opponent.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

LintMan posted:

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks for the answers chaps. If you've got some general thoughts on how you find the game, what works best and what's kinda clunky, that'd be cool.

I know there's a million different army lists, and that combined arms is the best way to go but I'm not a hardware nerd, so all these tanks and poo poo seem the same to me. I guess I'm looking for a force thats going to be quite forgiving. Also, I like the idea of my arty smashing the enemy into the dirt. The Brits :britain: have internet rep for being pretty good at this right?

Honestly, FOW is confusing as gently caress for newbies. I've been browsing various forums trying to decipher near-gibberish like "Oh yah, you absolutely want to res with your KCDRIVs, STG-73 will mess up your Pzrg-Flm, and without PAS your Thdrhwk will get creamed by their Ober-Tiger-1A. Make sure to bring at least 3 Btl-cmp of FM-73as!" :derp:

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 13, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

To magnetize them so they stick to the cookie sheets for transportation.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

BeigeJacket posted:

Thanks for the answers chaps. If you've got some general thoughts on how you find the game, what works best and what's kinda clunky, that'd be cool.

I know there's a million different army lists, and that combined arms is the best way to go but I'm not a hardware nerd, so all these tanks and poo poo seem the same to me. I guess I'm looking for a force thats going to be quite forgiving. Also, I like the idea of my arty smashing the enemy into the dirt. The Brits :britain: have internet rep for being pretty good at this right?

Honestly, FOW is confusing as gently caress for newbies. I've been browsing various forums trying to decipher near-gibberish like "Oh yah, you absolutely want to res with your KCDRIVs, STG-73 will mess up your Pzrg-Flm, and without PAS your Thdrhwk will get creamed by their Ober-Tiger-1A. Make sure to bring at least 3 Btl-cmp of FM-73as!" :derp:

Yeah, i'm having a similar problem just trying out what to buy. I guess I should just buy one of the books and go from there.

What are the differences between mid-war and late-war? I assume their is less focus on tanks and more on infantry? Is it still possible to have paratrooper armies in mid-war?

I'm going to be collecting two armies because whenever my brother tries to collect anything he never gets round to painting it, so I figure if I buy and paint both I might actually get a game in. I was hoping to get two reasonably balanced, smallish armies that both played very differently and would be fun to play against each other. I was thinking maybe a German motorized force of some kind up against Russian infantry and artillery?

I don;t really like the look of the british tanks except for their early war stuff, so that is out, and the smaller armies sound like a pain to collect because you have so few choices, so I think it comes down to Germans, Russians or the Americans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.bendsinister.co.uk/shop.php?CatID=4

Yessssss 10mm Napoleonic scenery!

Most of that should be usable for AWI as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Okay, it's only vaguely historical, but we discussed things like this before:

First up:

Nazis. On dinosaurs.

http://eurekamin.com.au/news.php?newsid=EklZEuEuFATWHHLjGs

That's right, Jurassic Reich is a go!

Next:

Nazis. Previously dead.

http://www.studiominiatures.com/Pages/3-Ups-WWII-German-Zombies.html

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Welp, 10mm all sold, and a Perry ACW Brigade deal winging its way to me as we speak.

Actually I cant moan as its a great deal, especially as we are initially using only 18 figs for a regiment (you get 2 units out of 1 plastic box set that way)- so basically (with 18man units) 6 infantry units, 2 cannons and crew, and a mounted commander for £45. Ive bought another pack of commanders, and that way I can pretty much field 2 small brigades.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I once painted a zombie WWII Nazi "suicide" bomber.

The only good Nazi is a dead Nazi?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
My Perry brigade deal arrived today- pretty good seeing as I ordered it on Friday night!

Figures are very nice- the plastics arent quite up to the standard of the more recent Napoleonics releases but they are nicely sculpted and look easy to paint. Slightly odd mix of figures to be honest, although I think this more about me doing 18 man units. Nothing a pack or two of their metal range wont sort out over a few boxes worth.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A mixed bag of Essex part 1: Mongol Conquest

Where to begin? Oh well. I bought three armies from Essex, as they are cheap to begin with and they ran a "buy three DBA armies, get the cheapest for free" campaign. I picked up a Mongol and a Sassanid Persian army for myself, and a Scots Common army for a guy at the club. And what a mixed bag it was.

Now, first of all, the armies were overall very cheap to begin with, so I don't feel that I can complain too much. But the bang for the buck turned out to vary a lot, and the Mongol army was the worst one for it.

First of all, the choice of units are not so good. Now, the Mongol hordes were a mix of many different tribes and nationalities, so there is a lot of leeway here. But some of them I guess are early Tang dynasty spearmen. And some of them are some kind of generic javelin trowing cavalry that don't even carry bows. I don't remember that from the history books... And the artillery, usually being played by conscripted Chinese engineers with trebuchets, are instead incarnated as two guys in skull caps and sweaters, manning what looks like an Ancient ballista. Ok?

The second point is that some Essex bags have mixed poses, and some are single posed. Single posed miniatures works sometimes, like for pike infantry. Or hoplites. Or Legionnaires. Or any other dense, disciplined infantry. Not so much for a horde of invading cavalry. Even less when it means that half of your Mongol cavalry are generic javelin-throwing dudes. This will be even more obvious as I get to the Sassanids, as they have some six bases of identical cataphracts. But in the end it is a personal issue, and if you really want diversity, be careful.

So I was pretty bummed. I had two choices. First, I could paint everything up in a uniform colour, which would tie the very different troops together, but would make the mono-posed nature even more obvious. The other way, which I chose, was to paint everything in very different colours, and while it isn't my prettiest army, I think it turned out ok once I had based them. There's nothing a uniform drybrushing and some grass tufts can't fix.

The light cavalry. I ended up with an extra base.

I added the camel standard bearer myself, it was not a part of the army pack.

Yeah I don't know either.

The mighty Mongol army, almost completely devoid of people holding bows. :pseudo:

On a positive note, I have nothing but good experience from the Essex staff. They had forgotten to put in a few of the riders in the order, and the howdah from the Sassanid elephants, and when I asked them about it they just sent me replacements. And the miniatures turned out to be pretty easy to paint, so I think I'll end up giving the Mongols a solid B, even though they really don't look at all like a Mongol army.

Next month we plan to fight a medieval ahistorical DBA campaign where Mongols somehow gets entangled with both the Teutonic Order, the Scots, and some other crusader army.

Now, should I leave them as this, or put some snow on the bases? It sure looks like they are somewhere cold with all those fur caps.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

A mixed bag of Essex part 1: Mongol Conquest

Well, you did a bloody nice job painting them at least, even if some of them don't look very mongol. Better painted than my Ilkhanid for sure.

The quality of Essex varies quite a bit. There's a few armies full of unique sculpts with lots of poses; others made from really generic models with one or two poses, used in several armies. Buying an army unseen from them is quite a gamble. My Ilkhanid were similar to yours, but had a couple of stands of european vassals :argh:. Don't know if it's for historical flavor, but I would have preferred a pure mongol army, so I'll replace them eventually.

Still, I'm fine with them; they were cheap enough to still be a decent buy. I've just got the bases left to do on my Armenians, which were a bit dodgy. At least I knew this before buying them, and with the low price and discount on top of that I guess they're ok-ish.

I also bought some Samurai for a friend, and they were really, really nice and varied. So nice I think I need one for myself.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Test painting for the first of my Rebs. Fairly pleased for a speed painting effort - I knocked these 4 out in a couple of hours. Only 104 to go! Im going to keep them very simple, as they are for gaming not display, so wont worry too much about details such as eyes etc. You wont notice that in a unit of 18 from 4 foot away!

Im doing them in batches of 4 and will vary the colours of their jackets and trousers then when they are based (4 to a base) I will mix them up to give a slightly ragtag look. I never realised I had collected so many shades of grey in my paitn collection, which is turning out to be a good thing for this project!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Those look awesome. I have about 200 Perry minis to paint as well.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's my Armenians:

Click here for the full 878x1000 image.

They're a complete army of IV/2 Cilician Armenians, all ready to be exterminated by the Ottomans I finished earlier. Ok, not completely finished, as the general's stand will get a couple of flags eventually. The general, by the way, was my biggest issue with the army, as he originally had a very arabic appearance; in fact I have the exact same model in my Berber army. But, swapping his turbaned head for a helmeted one from a spare fixed that issue. The spearmen also bugged me; the two poses with one holding the spear angled forward and the other holding it to the rear looks kind of daft.

Paintjob is nothing to write home about. Quick and dirty. After 4 armies in as many months, I'll take a break from painting DBA armies to paint more Warhammy stuff. Some of the armies lack appropriate camps though...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I would have a hard time not saying "Bro bro bro!" every time I moved them.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Well my airbrush packed in which was a loving killer after I spent so long assembling the 1/35 Panther (on last page.)

Finally got a replacement and managed to get some paint on it. Pretty happy with the three colour cammo and how the home made zimmeritt came out.

Next to do is the tracks and equipment then some light weathering. Feels like forever since I've painted something what do you chaps think?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm thinking about running an all-tanks list for Flames of War. I really haven't had a lot of luck with my infantry, and tanks are cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Infantry are pretty great in defence in FoW, and assaults are a great way of clearing an objective if the defenders are pinned.

Anyway... I finally got to play Ambush Alley last weekend. A kind blogger I follow happened to be running a series of linked games at a three-day con and I got in on the second one. First report is here and the rest are going up daily.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nice battle report.

Anyway, I suppose I can continue as mechanized but bring less infantry than I currently have.

Or bring one company in an armored batallion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Game two - This time with myself in control of the British. This pretty much confirmed to me that Ambush Alley is awesome and you should play it and if you play it and don't like it you are wrong and should feel bad. There is also, somewhere, a video report of the battle in progress, similar to how BoLS do theirs. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well I just got a free paycheck so maybe it's time I go buy some 20mm moderns.

Edit; Although now I can't remember where that site was. It's 20mm for using hotwheels and the like, yes?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 29, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, as of 00:01 last night my bank balance is 2.3k so... toy soldiers time.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
First Confederate regiment done for Black Powder

No flags as of yet as I am still trying to find ones I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Jinjin Bemar posted:

No flags as of yet as I am still trying to find ones I like.

http://www.flagline.com/id0186A04