Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Kibblesnbits posted:

Yeah.

There's another possibility - is your headset stereo? Are you running Vista or Windows 7? It could be that the jacks on your soundcard/motherboard are auto-sensing and that the action of swapping out a mono headset with a stereo 2.1 is causing the playback device profile to change, and that for whatever reason, it's not correctly changing back to stereo output from that jack once you're done with the headset?

Hey man, sorry for the late reply; I didn't think to check.

I'm wondering if that's precisely the issue, though I'm not sure how to check. The sound thing in my control panel claims it's in stereo but it's clearly lying.

If it helps, I've tried switching the L and R cords around while music was playing. Both speakers worked but only while inserted into the left output. I suppose that means there was a mono signal or one of the plugs is about to kick the bucket.

fake edit: I tried again. Both speakers work, regardless of whether I switch them around or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I setup 7.1 today and I've noticed that when I'm playing ps3 and a game that isn't specifically 7.1 audio i.e anything listed in this thread as 5.1: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Lounge/7-1-Surround-Sound-Game-Titles/m-p/38092572

nothing comes out of the rear surrounds. I also notice in 360 I hear zilch out of the rear surrounds. Is there a mode I can put my receiver in to do some sort of maths to attempt something with them? It's a Denon AVR-2310CI for reference.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

flyboi posted:

So I setup 7.1 today and I've noticed that when I'm playing ps3 and a game that isn't specifically 7.1 audio i.e anything listed in this thread as 5.1: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Lounge/7-1-Surround-Sound-Game-Titles/m-p/38092572

nothing comes out of the rear surrounds. I also notice in 360 I hear zilch out of the rear surrounds. Is there a mode I can put my receiver in to do some sort of maths to attempt something with them? It's a Denon AVR-2310CI for reference.

You can try a "ProLogic" mode, i.e. matrixed surround. It's the old fashioned way we used to get surround out of VHS (and the Wii) with only two discrete channels of audio.

I'm not a fan, but it'll make some noise.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I thought 7.1 was going to be cool but nothing uses it :saddowns:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flyboi posted:

Yeah pretty much. Good fronts and a sub are 90%+ of the equation. I've been running 3.1 for the last 4 months because I'm too lazy to sort out wall mounting and running cables.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm still figuring out wire routing for the 22.2 channel surround system to go with my next UHDTV display.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

flyboi posted:

Uncharted!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

flyboi posted:

I was considering 7.1 with some in-ceiling speakers for the side channels, but the lack of content plus what a massive pain in the rear end it would be to install with one side of the vaulted ceiling jutting up against the roof line just doesn't make it worthwhile.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
7.1 really only becomes worthwhile in long rooms, especially with multiple rows of seating, where matrixing a left and right surround out of 5.1 content is actually helpful for coverage.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I've got computer speakers, and the way they connect is like this. 3 wires (they're like headphone wires), one is black, another green, another orange connect from the subwoofer, to the sound card on the computer. Is there a way to convert these three wires, to just one optical? Here is what they look like:

e: They're the ones on the left.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yakattak posted:

Is there a way to convert these three wires, to just one optical?
Not really. It is possible but it would probably cost more than your sound card and speakers put together. Just use analog.

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Been playing with an old (80's, solid state) Kenwood Pre-Amp and Amp and it works for the most part but one or both of the following will happen:

- the left channel goes out, a light bump/tap to the amp usually fixes this.

- there is a REALLY loud buzzing sound that is independent of the pre-amp volume. Banging it will typically solve the problem temporarily, but it will eventually happen again. Sometimes the buzzing will creep. It will start with a low buzz that mere finger contact will alleviate. That will generally escalate to the louder buzz at some point.

The buzzing sound is really my only concern which is an issue with the amp and not the pre-amp. I have cleaned and deoxy'd the amp. I'd like to fix the problem myself as the amp is old and probably not worth the money for repair but good enough I really want to fix it.

Any ideas ?

For reference, it is a KM-205 Stereo Amplifier. 150wx2.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Bad insulation somewhere causes the buzzing, bad connection the channel going out. It also sounds like the insulation problem leaks to the casing somehow, if your finger makes it worse. I'd check all the wiring inside the amp for starters, especially everything that has to do with the left channel.

proton
Dec 23, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Bad insulation somewhere causes the buzzing, bad connection the channel going out. It also sounds like the insulation problem leaks to the casing somehow, if your finger makes it worse. I'd check all the wiring inside the amp for starters, especially everything that has to do with the left channel.

The finger contact makes the buzzing stop, not make it worse.

I guess I'll break out the magnifying glass and stencil burner to check for loose connections. How do you suggest I deal with insulation ?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
If it's bad insulation, see if you can duct tape it. Corroded wires or connectors and you might have to change something. Tighten up loose things.

One thing I'd check closely is the left speaker connector. It might be broken, split or something like that.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Sounds like some cold solder joints are becoming evident. Especially since the percussive maintenance works. Also there's a ground issue if touching the chassis fixes the hum, which I assume is a low hum possibly 60 hz?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
At least all the receivers are 7.1 standard so maybe the format will become more adopted over time. After playing some 7.1 mixed games on my ps3 it is pretty cool and my Denon is pretty good at matrixing the 5.1 to 7.1 for more environment.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I bought an Asrock ION 330HT to use as a HTPC, but when I plug the HDMI cable in my reciever, I get a lot of noise in my speakers. This is probably because of an earthing problem in the asrock box. Is there a noise filter available for HDMI cables?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My sub blew out, and I'm looking to get a replacement. I have a very small gaming/working room, so a really big sub seems like overkill.

That said, after looking around a bit, I found what looked like a good 60w Polk

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000P0528K

And then I find I can get a 300w for almost the same price

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0

So my question would be - is the 300w too much sub for my room? It seems silly not to get it given the price, but if I'm going to simply overwhelm my senses and annoy the neighbors, it'd probably be a bad idea (good thick brick walls, so that's never been an issue before, but still)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'd get the 12" sub. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean you have to play it louder. It's not about volume, it's about quality of sound.

proton
Dec 23, 2005

Sniep posted:

Sounds like some cold solder joints are becoming evident. Especially since the percussive maintenance works. Also there's a ground issue if touching the chassis fixes the hum, which I assume is a low hum possibly 60 hz?

As I'm using this as a headphone amp, its hard to saw how low, and it seems to cover a range of frequencies, but it is definitely as low as 60z. The hum can change frequencies depending on contact.

Upon further inspection, the buzzing is a problem with the plate attached by screws underneath the 2 large capacitors. It has an electrical warning (lightning bolt), and it's the only separate plate on the bottom of the amp. If i press on the plate on the areas not screwed on, the buzzing will generally stop. I have to press pretty hard - finger contact does not cease the problem. I put something underneath the plate to press up on the bracket and it does the trick. I guess the permanent solution is to drill another hole in the bracket on the two spots where contact isn't good. Duct tape doesn't do a thing.

I guess I don't really understand how grounding works. Why would contact at these spots make such a huge difference ?

Edit:

Its not contact on the sides. There is a prong that screws into the bracket in two places directly in the middle. Pressing hard on this makes the buzzing stop. Not really sure what to do now.

edit 2:

I took the bracket off completely for now. I pulled on the prong pretty hard and havent had any trouble since. Maybe a loose connection or bad solder thats close to the bracket ?

proton fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 3, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone bought a cheap tripath amp off of ebay? I'm looking into getting soemthing like this for my bedroom. Most of the pre-built ones use the TA2020 or TA2024C. Of course because it's ebay prices range from $30-300. Is there a good place to do some research? I was looking at getting this but it's never in stock and if I can save $50 I wouldn't mind.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

qirex posted:

Has anyone bought a cheap tripath amp off of ebay? I'm looking into getting soemthing like this for my bedroom. Most of the pre-built ones use the TA2020 or TA2024C. Of course because it's ebay prices range from $30-300. Is there a good place to do some research? I was looking at getting this but it's never in stock and if I can save $50 I wouldn't mind.

I can't speak for the random eBay units specifically, (although they're almost all built right off Tripath's spec sheets, so they're not really rocket science) but I can tell you one thing about T-amps in general:

Reviewers who talk about their low power aren't exaggerating. You better have efficient speakers, and you better be sitting close to them in a small room.

I had a pricey Sonic Impact (?) t-amp for about 15 minutes before it went back in the box. Even setup in a near-field arrangement, it couldn't drive my 88dB/watt bookshelf speakers to above background music levels.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The new generation of tripath amps are more powerful than the T-amps of a couple years ago. I'd definitely top out one of those $15 ones, but what about the $50 ones? $100? The ones for sale in the US now like those little $200 Nuforces are generally TK2040s or TK2050s which are around $60 barebones [no housing or power supply which are things I kind of need].

My speakers are 90dB/watt so the 30WPC at 4 ohms the "100 watt" versions put out at listenable THD levels should be more than enough.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Quick question I know this is kind of a PC related question. But I have a set of Klipsch Promedia 5.1 THX Ultras and Windows 7 give an option to select "Full range speakers or not" Should I have this checked? And then the promedia will figure it out on there on or what? :qirex:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Quick question I know this is kind of a PC related question. But I have a set of Klipsch Promedia 5.1 THX Ultras and Windows 7 give an option to select "Full range speakers or not" Should I have this checked?

No. Full range speakers means speakers that can replicate sounds from 20 to 20000 hertz. Your speakers should most likely be set up so that subwoofer plays all sounds from 20 to 80 Hz and satellites play notes from 80 up. Check the documentation for appropriate cutoff point.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Hob_Gadling posted:

No. Full range speakers means speakers that can replicate sounds from 20 to 20000 hertz. Your speakers should most likely be set up so that subwoofer plays all sounds from 20 to 80 Hz and satellites play notes from 80 up. Check the documentation for appropriate cutoff point.

I would think that, since it's a computer speaker setup, the unit itself would do all the crossover work, and you could leave the Windows setting at full range.

You can try both ways and use whichever one sounds better to you.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
So, me and my mom are trying to get my dad a surround sound system for Christmas, but I don't know enough about surround sound systems to be useful in picking a good set.

The budget max is between 550$ and 600$. Dad plays video games (Playstation if that affects anything), watches movies, and listens to music all the time. The room it would be put in is about 14' by 21'. Any suggestions on what to look at?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bremma posted:

So, me and my mom are trying to get my dad a surround sound system for Christmas, but I don't know enough about surround sound systems to be useful in picking a good set.

The baseline set is roughly this Onkyo 7.1 set. If you can find a better deal for the money go for it.

If you want to pick the speakers and receiver separately the rough idea is to spend 60% of budget on speakers and the rest on receiver, wires and so on.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Thanks for the tip! I'll start looking around and see what I can find. If I have any more questions, I'll let ya'll know.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry in advance if this has been covered but I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a stereo system to listen to music. I've got about $600 and was thinking of snagging 2 Polk Audio Monitor70's

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor70/

For a reciever I was looking at the Onkyo TX-8255

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8255&class=Receiver&p=i

Is this a respectable setup or am I missing something? Also if anyone can point me to a site or two to learn exactly what I should be paying attention to or where I should look online to purchase this stuff that would be fantastic as well. I checked out The speaker guide wiki that Shroom Soup posted but unfortunately it doesn't have recommendations on stereo receivers or floor standing speakers. For the moment all I have to go on is newegg and what I've gleaned from scanning this forum.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Wastid posted:

Sorry in advance if this has been covered but I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a stereo system to listen to music. I've got about $600

Visit a local stereo shop where you can listen to systems.

If you're set on online ordering, I'd point you to Monitor speakers to go with your receiver. Other possibles are Klipsch (you should definitely listen to Klipsch before ordering, they have a distinct sound that divides people) and Paradigm. Paradigms are hard to locate online but I think they're worth a visit to dealer near you.

I'd like to suggest B&W speakers but I'm not sure they have anything suitable within the budget. If you get the chance listen to them anyway.

All speakers recommended are suited for my tastes in music. I don't like heavy bass so if that's your thing you might want to check other alternatives.

For receiver I suggest you also check out Denon and Marantz. Most of your budget should go towards speakers anyway, around $200 is a proper budget for the receiver. As far as I can tell, the Onkyo unit you looked up is also decent.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Wastid posted:

Sorry in advance if this has been covered but I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a stereo system to listen to music. I've got about $600 and was thinking of snagging 2 Polk Audio Monitor70's

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor70/

For a reciever I was looking at the Onkyo TX-8255

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8255&class=Receiver&p=i

Is this a respectable setup or am I missing something? Also if anyone can point me to a site or two to learn exactly what I should be paying attention to or where I should look online to purchase this stuff that would be fantastic as well. I checked out The speaker guide wiki that Shroom Soup posted but unfortunately it doesn't have recommendations on stereo receivers or floor standing speakers. For the moment all I have to go on is newegg and what I've gleaned from scanning this forum.

I just picked up a pair of Aperion Audio's 5B bookshelf speakers at their warehouse sale and they're proving to be an incredible value. They sound phenomenal and are a beautiful real cherry veneer (they also come in high gloss piano black).

They offer free shipping and a 30 day risk free audition where they'll pay for return shipping if you aren't content. The 4B's would be in your price range but I think the 5B's are the sweet spot. You can also inquire about A-stock (open box) and B-stock (light scratches). which come at a decent discount.

http://www.aperionaudio.com

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Are there any decent cheap subwoofers? $100 or less?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Deadpan Science posted:

no

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd probably say $200 is about the bottom for new stuff but you could always check craigslist. Because they're so heavy people don't really sell used ones on eBay or Audiogon unless they're really high end.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Deadpan Science posted:

The entry level Dayton subs are alright for the money, I notice parts express has some on sale.

Here is the Sub-80 for $79

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
My HTIB dvd player/receiver died(Panasonic SB-WA720) and it looks like the subwoofer has some kind of nonstandard connection, which is preventing me from just plugging it in to a new receiver. :smithicide:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Deadpan Science posted:

My HTIB dvd player/receiver died(Panasonic SB-WA720) and it looks like the subwoofer has some kind of nonstandard connection, which is preventing me from just plugging it in to a new receiver. :smithicide:

That's not a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

eddiewalker posted:

That's not a question.

Sorry. That's why I was looking for a cheap replacement, unless there's some way to rectify the situation with an adapter of some kind. Do those exist? How feasible is it to do some tinkering and make a proper output? Seems like not very...