Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I preordered the US layout from the Razerstore, received it just fine via DHL Express. Even got a nice Razer messenger bag on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

New Character posted:

Nope, I'm in the UK. I checked the razer website randomly the other day and saw that they were in stock and available for next day delivery so thought why not. It's weird because it's been really difficult to get my hands on a mechanical keyboard before now as nobody seems to deliver to Europe.

For future reference, you can get UK layout Filco keyboards from UK-based company http://www.keyboardco.com/ (great service, email the owner and he'll respond to any questions you have - a really nice bloke). I understand they also stock some EU-based layouts (Italian, etc.) I think http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/ act as a reseller for them as well.

UK layout attached.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

HKS posted:

Did any of you guys watch The Social Network? I think I saw the main character pull out an IBM model M during the creation of facesmash.com scene. Prior to that he was just typing on his laptop's keyboard.

Im glad im not the only goon that noticed that...

Lumb
Jun 29, 2007

weapey posted:

For future reference, you can get UK layout Filco keyboards from UK-based company http://www.keyboardco.com/

Noted, cheers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

One Swell Foop posted:

I don't think you'll regret that choice. I'd be interested in your impressions when it arrives.

FedEx left about 5 minutes ago and I immediately plugged that poo poo in. Typing definitely feels a lot different than my 104 Dell that it's replacing. I'm missing some of the keys, but I think that's because I managed to gently caress up my right index finger pretty good at work 2 days ago (finger versus slicer: SLICER WINS). I don't really find the noise to be too annoying, but I definitely can see how it could drive some people insane. I'm probably going to buy the keypad and the nice Filco leather branded palm rest when I can find 100 dollars underneath my mattress or something.

Filco 87-key with blues: Weighs a ton, feels good in your hand

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there a good wireless keyboard/mouse for gaming? I have a MX1000 but its kinda bulky so maybe something on par with my current G5 but wireless of course.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Streebs posted:

I just ordered a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Brown switches. I just wanted to thank everyone in the thread for providing reviews for these keyboards because if I hadn't found the thread I'd probably already have gotten one of the Logitech boards.

I got my Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Browns a week ago and so far I love it. I would definitely recommend this keyboard to anyone. It is heavy, has a really solid feel and good build quality. I really enjoy typing with it which is kind of weird; my keyboard has gone from being a tool I don't care about to something I'm happy to use. I really don't have any complaints, however if anyone else is thinking about buying one of these keep in mind that the keyboard, despite having Cherry Brown switches, is very loud. Also, the keys are very easy to press which isn't really a problem, its just something to get used to.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I've got 2 Filco's now, blues and brown.

The blues are noisier, but I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't bother anyone in my office but there isn't anyone particularly sensitive or awkward like that. It is very satisfying.

For impressions, I love them both for different reasons. I work as a software developer, and the blues are definitely better for avoiding typos when typing awkward (i.e. non-natural) characters, such as {} and so on. The keys are a little harder to actuate so you tend to not catch them as much with your fat sausage fingers.

I still love my browns, which I use at home. They are definitely better for gaming and for wasda. I'd definitely recommend browns for anyone looking for a mechanical keyboard for gaming over blues, which is what the new Razer keyboard uses. I can understand why they have though - the browns feel 'mushier' (well, softer) and has a more subtle feel than the blues when comparing against a rubber dome keyboard. The blues are much more different, and definitely have a more obvious mechanical feel to them. I can imagine that Razer feared that a number of consumers and maybe reviewers wouldn't even notice the difference between a brown switch and a rubber dome.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I can't decide between the two of these:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006396&prodlist=froogle

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-wireless-desktop-mk320-keyboard-mouse-kit/q/loc/101/216605528.html

Which one of these would be better for gaming? I have wireless controllers on my Wii and PS3 so now I'm spoiled by it.

Crumpets
Apr 30, 2009
Hey guys, I have the Saitek Cyborg, and I really haven't been using it much since I got it because keystrokes often don't register unless I really pound the keys, and it drives me mad. Does anyone know what causes this problem?

TE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMS OVER TE LAZY DO is a sample sentence.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Crumpets posted:

Hey guys, I have the Saitek Cyborg, and I really haven't been using it much since I got it because keystrokes often don't register unless I really pound the keys, and it drives me mad. Does anyone know what causes this problem?

TE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMS OVER TE LAZY DO is a sample sentence.

I'm guessing that the connection to the PCB is loose. If you feel comfortable with it, you can pull it apart and see if you can't re-seat the sheets into the PCB, otherwise it's time to get a new keyboard.

Crumpets
Apr 30, 2009

Illuminado posted:

I'm guessing that the connection to the PCB is loose. If you feel comfortable with it, you can pull it apart and see if you can't re-seat the sheets into the PCB, otherwise it's time to get a new keyboard.
It was like this when it was brand new, so I'm guessing the warranty will cover it. Thanks for the help.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I just got off the phone with Unicomp. For Mac people, you can request command and option keys if needed. However, they currently have a Mac layout version of the Customizer 104 currently in production! It's due in either December or January. I don't know much, but it will most likely feature the volume and eject keys.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

NOG posted:

Command? Option? Mac...?

What the hell is a Mac?

For content, I've turned to scouring through old store rooms at work (literally 30 years of technology collecting dust and cobwebs in some cases) and have turned up 2 model M's, and my most recent find, an older Dell Quietkey. I don't really know why but they have a very satisfying actuation, that seems to offer a similar feeling to a mechanical keyboard, but to my understanding and relative loose understanding of the inner-workings it's a rubber dome. Anyone else heard/use these things?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Geez, maybe I should get that pile of Model Ms out of storage and throw them on SA Mart. Most of them are the slightly newer ones with a PS/2 connector instead of the big chunky connector.

I really like my Logitech Illuminated but the num pad decided to stop working regardless of setting. This blows because I do a good bit of data entry at work and I'm used to using it frequently. Is this a known issue or am I just going to have to poke around in it's guts and hope something obvious shows itself?

Can't RMA it because it's an open box from Best Buy Auctions.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

pienipple posted:

Geez, maybe I should get that pile of Model Ms out of storage and throw them on SA Mart. Most of them are the slightly newer ones with a PS/2 connector instead of the big chunky connector.

I really like my Logitech Illuminated but the num pad decided to stop working regardless of setting. This blows because I do a good bit of data entry at work and I'm used to using it frequently. Is this a known issue or am I just going to have to poke around in it's guts and hope something obvious shows itself?

Yeah, if the Model M's work I'd LOVE to take one of those off of your hands. I could use one that actually works, I totally ditched the one I was trying to repair after attempting it for 2 months to no avail.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Illuminado posted:

Yeah, if the Model M's work I'd LOVE to take one of those off of your hands. I could use one that actually works, I totally ditched the one I was trying to repair after attempting it for 2 months to no avail.

I'll take a look at the ones that aren't in storage tonight, I know I have at least one good one in the house because I was using it for my ghetto test bench for a while. While the clicky clacky is fun I'm a heathen and prefer quiet low profile laptop style keys.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

pienipple posted:

I'm a heathen and prefer quiet low profile laptop style keys.

The cool thing about that is it's all preference, I love making it sound like a ghetto rain stick when I type. It's more fun, and even though it'll probably piss my roommate off to no end, I absolutely LOVE the feel of that keyboard so much. It's like, I don't know... playing a piano with ivory keys. It's just so deliciously sacrilegious, yet it feels as though it was meant to be. I like to pound the keys with deliberation, a constant staccato of clatters and clicks!

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

pienipple posted:

You should still fire off an email - I've heard their RMA policy puts all other companies to shame, and they are very willing to make sure your Logitech gear is happy working gear.

This isn't from experience, but heard of people getting g500 mice when their g5 died on them. YMMV.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Okay I found the one I had been using, works fine all complete just dirty and in need of a cleaning. It's an IBM Model M born in August of '95, with the not-detachable PS/2 cable.

I'll try to check my storage unit tomorrow, I know I have more of them I just need to figure out how many complete ones I can make (they were chucked into a dumpster en masse before being rescued so a lot of them are missing keycaps and a few are missing keys entirely.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NOG posted:

I just got off the phone with Unicomp. For Mac people, you can request command and option keys if needed. However, they currently have a Mac layout version of the Customizer 104 currently in production! It's due in either December or January. I don't know much, but it will most likely feature the volume and eject keys.

If it has a proper Mac-layout numeric keypad and isn't just a cheap hack of the meta keys, then I'll probably buy one.

Ideally they go the whole hog and put the braille bumps on the proper keys and the LEDs inside the caps lock key too! :woz:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Fresh from the basement dirty. Has a neat stamped metal Property of Brookhaven tag on the bottom too.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS

pienipple posted:

Fresh from the basement dirty. Has a neat stamped metal Property of Brookhaven tag on the bottom too.

She's a dirty one but she'll do. Run the keys through the dishwasher, hit the rest with Q-tips, a micro-fiber cloth, and some rubbing alcohol, and you're good to go.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Gonna open it up and wash the shell too, it's an ex-government piece rescued from a dumpster and I've never cleaned it so it's a safe bet it's never been done.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I used to type on an MS ergonomic keyboard, but that died and I replaced it with a cheapo MS keyboard with as few frills as I could find. However I've started getting wrist pain, and used that as a tenuous excuse to order a FILCO majestouch with cherry browns.

I'm a bit worried that it's going to be the same issue though since it's a non-split keyboard without a palm rest.

I did a bit of googling looking for a palm rest, and was tempted by the official FILCO leather palm rest, but that will end up costing ~$100 to get over here to Norway, and I can't bring myself to go and buy some ugly piece of poo poo blue foam one at a local shop to go next to my sexy new keyboard.

I also saw though that there is some controversy about wrist supports, and actually a lot of people seem to think that having your wrists down is a bad thing, support or not, and you should have your wrists "floating" when you're typing, in a similar way to how you might play the piano.

So essentially my question is do I need a palm rest, or should I just work on my posture? And if I do need a palm rest, any suggestions for one that will go next to my FILCO and not look like poo poo, or cost $100+?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

RobattoJesus posted:

:words:

Perhaps this fine goons product might help you. I cannot speak for it personally, however I have been on the fence about picking up a pair...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315627&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post378110618

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
You don't have to bend your wrists in any unnatural way to type on a regular keyboard. Just compensate with your fingers' reach.

Wrist problems are caused by nerves being compressed (so says wikipedia) so don't squash the bottoms of your wrists all day on a rest. Or do. I don't know. Why not just try it with a cheap foam one.

Also, I can only assume, but if your poor muscles can't support and protect your wrists then they aren't strong enough. Get some exercise. It's the only thing that helps my wrists.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

very posted:

Also, I can only assume, but if your poor muscles can't support and protect your wrists then they aren't strong enough. Get some exercise. It's the only thing that helps my wrists.

I play the piano regularly so I'd hope that I have fairly strong wrists comparitively. I actually think it's Starcraft 2 that's responsible for this problem because I only really have the pain in my left wrist. :v:

I probably just need to stop tensing when I play.

That said, I have been typing all day with my wrists raised off the desk (with my arms rested on the arm rests of my chair) and I have little to no pain right now.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Etrips posted:

Perhaps this fine goons product might help you. I cannot speak for it personally, however I have been on the fence about picking up a pair...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315627&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post378110618

I feel like a terrible cheapskate because the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that was to jam a pair of socks into the sleeve of my sweater.

Actually works pretty well....

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Some beancounter really loved eating over their keyboard, this thing is nast inside. :barf:

Ah bugger it's one of those Lexmark built rubber dome switch Model Ms. I thought it sounded weird.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 28, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I just got a G13 out of curiosity. The only thing that I don't like so far is that the most comfortable hand position is actually on the 16-19 keys, which is nowhere near where the indents are... So right now my fingers get a bit lost. Do I have tiny hands or something?

The other thing is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to lose the muscle memory for my main character's buttons.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

very posted:

I just got a G13 out of curiosity. The only thing that I don't like so far is that the most comfortable hand position is actually on the 16-19 keys, which is nowhere near where the indents are... So right now my fingers get a bit lost. Do I have tiny hands or something?

The other thing is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to lose the muscle memory for my main character's buttons.

I never use the indent keys like that either: hand on 11-14 keys for main controls plus the thumbstick set as WASD... thank the gods for the thumbstick as it makes a world of difference to my gaming.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
In the search for an ergonomic gaming keyboard with solid tactile response and quiet keys I have stumbled upon a potential abomination.
http://www.alphagrips.com/

I've never before been scared by a PC peripheral before. Not counting the photoshopped image of a USB circumciser I saw several years back.
http://www.alphagrips.com/features.html

S3Y3N
Jan 9, 2004

Illuminado posted:

The cool thing about that is it's all preference, I love making it sound like a ghetto rain stick when I type. It's more fun, and even though it'll probably piss my roommate off to no end, I absolutely LOVE the feel of that keyboard so much. It's like, I don't know... playing a piano with ivory keys. It's just so deliciously sacrilegious, yet it feels as though it was meant to be. I like to pound the keys with deliberation, a constant staccato of clatters and clicks!

Truth.

They upgraded me to their brand new Z-5500's (10" sub) to replace my RMA'ed Z-680's (8" sub) simply for one speaker crackling without so much as even requiring a return order. Their return policy is second to none.

thooraxe
Aug 25, 2008

"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
Question to anyone that can help. On my model M the tab key wont register unless you push it very hard it feels like the spring isn't seated right or something. Anyone else have this issue with model M keys?

-edit fixed it had some serious dirt buildup in the spring assembly all better now. Another question, how does the Unicomp keyboards stack up to the 1988 model M?

thooraxe fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 1, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

thooraxe posted:

Another question, how does the Unicomp keyboards stack up to the 1988 model M?
The exact same, only better because it's new, better feel from new springs and better plastics, and has things like USB. Unicomp bought up all the old tooling and design rights, so it really is the exact same.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
$42 Logitech G15 Keyboard on sale now btw.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Maybe the illuminated isn't broken, I just switched back to the MK300 and the numpad refuses to work on this one either.

Oh for gently caress's sake http://superuser.com/questions/57749/keyboard-number-pad-not-working

pienipple fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 2, 2010

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

great link! I just picked this up. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've had a Das (maybe a Das II? I honestly don't know, I bought it used 4 years ago) and it's been great, but I find myself wanting to get a new keyboard (a few of the keys on my Das have died, so I've shuffled 'em around to make the most used-keys retain their function).

So, I'm looking at the Ultimate S (blank, click-clack, woo!)...I thought read earlier in this thread there's some type of education discount?

But, this Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Pro (PD-KB400BN) also intrigues me...though I do enjoy having my numeric keypad, and the layout of that board will take some getting used too. How insane will I go if I pick up an Ultimate S for home and a HHK2P for work?

• Locked thread