Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno if just making them SNES games would make them better, like you said X4 was pretty drat good and is probably my favorite Megaman game. I remember something that completely baffled me was that X5 somehow had worse graphics than X4.

JUST COPY THE SPRITES

I like X4 a lot, too. X1 and X4 are my favorite X games. (X2 and X3 are also pretty drat good)

My big issue with X5 is the gameplay for some reason is very clunky compared to X4. i.e. you have to wait for Zero's hair to stop flowing before you have move, etc. Constantly being interrupted by Alia doesn't help. Quite simply, the game just doesn't play as good. I don't really take issue with the graphics, although they are definitely not as good as X4. X4 had really cool stage designs.

The SNES games just seem to have tighter controls than the PS ones, with X4 being the only exception.

EDIT: Although the SNES vs. PSX graphics may not matter all that much. I will probably draw flak for this, but I think out of the first four games, X3 had the worst stage and boss design. X1-X2 and X4 were fast paced, balls to the wall action. X3 just felt... clunky. Not as clunky as X5, and not even close to being as clunky as X6, but X3 just didn't play the same as the first two - even though the physics and gameplay were identical, the bosses were simpler and the stages seemed to be designed to slow you down.

Of course, X3 still has a fairly large following due to all the extras and items you could get in the game. It beats X1, X2 and X4 in the replay department by leaps and bounds. Out of the first four, I like X3 the least, but I can totally understand why someone would love it. (Also the music makes your ears bleed unless you're playing the PC \ PS1 \ X Collection version)

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Protomen have an entire rock opera telling the ballad of Mega Man and Protoman. I have their first album, it's pretty decent, but I guess their second album just came out, I'll have to give it a listen.

I know they've been spoken about a ton in this thread already, but I recommend them to anyone that hasn't heard them. Their second CD is the far superior one and has been out for just over a year now.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Z/ZX devs (Inti Creates) are working on MM Universe right now so you'll be able to make your own sequel to X8 in no time!

This freakin game better be good. I bought an xbox just because of MMU.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Skychrono posted:

I know they've been spoken about a ton in this thread already, but I recommend them to anyone that hasn't heard them. Their second CD is the far superior one and has been out for just over a year now.

Gonna have to agree with this. On the surface the idea is kind of goofy, a two-album (with more possibly on the way?) rock opera based on Mega Man? In practice it turns out brilliant.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drox posted:

This freakin game better be good. I bought an xbox just because of MMU.

Oh. I'm not sure if I'd do that... luckily there are a bunch of good Xbox games, though. (Of course I did finally buy an Xbox when SF4 came out because by that point there were enough good games for it)

I dunno... I'm not really all that excited about MMU. People seem to be super excited or really hating on it. I just feel "meh" and borderline indifferent.

Granted I'll still probably buy it, but I'm no where near as excited as I was for MM9 or 10.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Orcasword posted:

No I totally feel the exact same way. They also didn't make it very open ended for new titles after X8 like the classic series did. The way X8 ends it starts going in this really unnecessary direction of NEW GENERATION REPLOIDS and COPY CHIP THIS COPY CHIP THAT. Man I don't give a flying gently caress about any of that. Wasn't the series supposed to build up the fact that X and Zero despite being best friends are fated to kill each other? Isn't THAT the underlying plot point? I feel like they just completely skipped over that major point in X6-X8 and instead filled it up with nonsense like "I AM RED I AM MAD AXL Y U DO THIS COME BACK HOME GRR MR. SIGMA I MEAN PROFESSOR WHAT U DOING" Oh and that fact that Sigma is supposedly dead for good at the end of X8? Yeah, no. You don't kill off the main villain that easily. It was so....anti climatic.

I didn't like Axl that much, but I think a lot of the reason fans hate him is because he distracted from the Zero/Megaman showdown that fans were deprived of.

If X6 had been a fresh start with, say, Axl being a new generation reploid from the ashes of the Mega/Zero conflict, it would've worked better.

Instead, he comes across as a usurper and people didn't like that.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh. I'm not sure if I'd do that... luckily there are a bunch of good Xbox games, though. (Of course I did finally buy an Xbox when SF4 came out because by that point there were enough good games for it)

I dunno... I'm not really all that excited about MMU. People seem to be super excited or really hating on it. I just feel "meh" and borderline indifferent.

Granted I'll still probably buy it, but I'm no where near as excited as I was for MM9 or 10.

Well I should say that anticipation was enough to put me over the edge: I've had it for a month and had no problems spending $100 on the arcade. :shobon:

I see MMU and look at it like this: New Super Mario Bros. Wii was something I had been wanting for a while. A multiplayer Mario game that returned to more classic designs. It came out and I got it in the first week and never regretted it. Same with MMU. How many posts in this thread alone do you have of people talking about designing things as kids for their favorite Mega Man title? And now here's a game that lets you make your OWN MEGAMAN! And your very own levels to run him around in!

Classic gameplay with modern technology that only adds to the game.

By contrast, MM9/10 (which I had also highly anticipated and loved) were classic gameplay only without really making use of the new consoles. I don't think they did anything besides saved games and achievements that couldn't have been or wasn't already done in the old games on the old systems.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they were to do another X game, I wouldn't mind seeing Massimo and Marino from Command Mission as playable characters. Granted more playable characters is not really the direction most people probably want the series to go, but they could replace Axl (who sucks) and Zero (who should be dead anyway,) and each is significantly different from X/Zero that they could be made interesting to play. (Who am I kidding, no one would play Massimo because he wouldn't have an air dash.) Don't really know what boss weapon gimmick they could have, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Protomen have an entire rock opera telling the ballad of Mega Man and Protoman. I have their first album, it's pretty decent, but I guess their second album just came out, I'll have to give it a listen.

I had to drive ~600 miles in a day a year ago, and I had the Protomen's second album playing on loop the entire trip. It is surprisingly excellent. As good as the first album was, the second is just so much better.

Whatever's on the table plays.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I kind of like The Protomen, but unless I have the lyrics out in front of me to read I can not for the life of me understand a word they're saying. When they were at PAX East it sounded like gibberish. It doesn't help either that much of the "story" is related in passages outside of the songs themselves.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I didn't like Axl that much, but I think a lot of the reason fans hate him is because he distracted from the Zero/Megaman showdown that fans were deprived of.

If X6 had been a fresh start with, say, Axl being a new generation reploid from the ashes of the Mega/Zero conflict, it would've worked better.

Instead, he comes across as a usurper and people didn't like that.

Exactly. That's exactly why I hate him. And why many others feel the same. He's an usurper. (I think that's why a lot of people hate Shadow from Sonic as well, aside from him being an ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL)

Here's how it should have gone down: Zero dies for good in X5. X now has Zero's spot as an S class hunter, and finds Axl and takes him under his wing. X is now the badass guy and Axl is his sidekick. So what I'm essentially saying is X should have matured and filled Zero's role of "cool big brother" acting as the mentor for this Axl kid who reminds X of himself when he was younger. Besides, he's killed Sigma and saved the world 5 times already and he's still considered a mediocre hunter?

So what I'm saying is that I would have liked actual character development. Instead X actually regressed backwards and decided he wasn't going to fight at all while Axl came in as his replacement. By X8 and Command Mission, they realized this was a bad idea, so they modified the X and Zero duo by making it a trio. Problem is, for me that trio has two unwanted characters in it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nate RFB posted:

I kind of like The Protomen, but unless I have the lyrics out in front of me to read I can not for the life of me understand a word they're saying. When they were at PAX East it sounded like gibberish. It doesn't help either that much of the "story" is related in passages outside of the songs themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpX41iXl0BA

This is my favorite song of theirs. It sounds good, I think, and is very flavorful and full of the story they present. I agree with you in that too much of that story is in album notes and such, but hey, maybe that's just a reference to stories in manuals of gaming ages past. :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Here's how it should have gone down: Zero dies for good in X5. X now has Zero's spot as an S class hunter, and finds Axl and takes him under his wing. X is now the badass guy and Axl is his sidekick. So what I'm essentially saying is X should have matured and filled Zero's role of "cool big brother" acting as the mentor for this Axl kid who reminds X of himself when he was younger. Besides, he's killed Sigma and saved the world 5 times already and he's still considered a mediocre hunter?

This would've been a great idea. They might as well have gone all the way with the Star Wars references and had X start using the saber as a more elegant, refined teacher and Axl be the triggerhappy shooter.

In fact, if they made a Megaman X 5.5 that inserted that idea, it could salvage the storyline somewhat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Exactly. That's exactly why I hate him. And why many others feel the same. He's an usurper. (I think that's why a lot of people hate Shadow from Sonic as well, aside from him being an ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL)

So what I'm saying is that I would have liked actual character development. Instead X actually regressed backwards and decided he wasn't going to fight at all while Axl came in as his replacement. By X8 and Command Mission, they realized this was a bad idea, so they modified the X and Zero duo by making it a trio. Problem is, for me that trio has two unwanted characters in it.

The only problem I have is the X8 was gimmicky poo poo. If they had better stages in that, X8 would have been loving awesome.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Part of this is probably due to the audio engineering. I seem to remember reading that they're all recording students at some university in Tennessee, but for some reason, their first album (haven't heard the second one yet) is mixed with the vocal levels quite low relative to the instruments (especially the drums). The result is that you have to strain to hear what they're saying, and there unfortunately isn't much you can do to fix it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some guy on the cesspit they call NeoGAF translated the big Inafune interview.

Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

It's very interesting!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Here's the part of it that I took away the most:

quote:

4G: So if you want to save Capcom, you can continue working on that even after leaving. It seems like there are a lot of people like that.

KI: That's absolutely right. So told Capcom that I'm leaving to start my own company, while still contracting with them, continuing with titles already underway and follow through with their plans. If that was acceptable, I wouldn't be able to work with any other publishers, but I'd have been able to finish what I'd started. However, that wasn't possible. I was told, "That won't be necessary."

Not looking forward to any Capcom game now. :smith:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Edoraz posted:

Here's the part of it that I took away the most:

Not looking forward to any Capcom game now. :smith:

He has an extremely good point about Japanese games in general, though. They're afraid to take chances, instead giving us rehash over rehash of the same old poo poo, and Capcom's pretty much the guiltiest party of this around since their most of their popular franchises are pretty much romhacks of their previous titles.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Screaming Idiot posted:

He has an extremely good point about Japanese games in general, though. They're afraid to take chances, instead giving us rehash over rehash of the same old poo poo, and Capcom's pretty much the guiltiest party of this around since their most of their popular franchises are pretty much romhacks of their previous titles.

The Resident Evil series is their most popular franchise by over 10 million in sales, and you can't really call out Street Fighter in a vacuum since all fighting games are characterized by incremental tweaks to balance and gameplay.

Mega Man may be their third biggest franchise, but that's due to the sheer volume of titles and genre spread within them. The games haven't sold well in a long, long time.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Frankly I think this interview deserves its own discussion thread, he's very candid and tries to give a lot of insight into the japanese game industry all-around

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Except this isn't true, unless you're talking about video games in general, Western and Japanese. Unless you're intentionally ignoring any new IP released by Japan this year while at the same time ignoring the fact that pretty much every notable game that came out this month was a pretty direct/incremental sequel to the previous one. Fallout, Fable, The Force Unleashed, Assassin's Creed and probably even Call of Duty.

He has valid points, but a lot of what he's saying is pretty weird too. His discussion about why Western developers are superior is incredibly arrogant (on his behalf, not theirs) and he implies that they have technical knowhow but no creativity.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Gammatron 64 posted:

X

Isn't X considered a bad-rear end in Command Mission? He looked pretty cool and updated after all the poo poo he went through.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpAtom posted:

Except this isn't true, unless you're talking about video games in general, Western and Japanese. Unless you're intentionally ignoring any new IP released by Japan this year while at the same time ignoring the fact that pretty much every notable game that came out this month was a pretty direct/incremental sequel to the previous one. Fallout, Fable, The Force Unleashed, Assassin's Creed and probably even Call of Duty.

He has valid points, but a lot of what he's saying is pretty weird too. His discussion about why Western developers are superior is incredibly arrogant (on his behalf, not theirs) and he implies that they have technical knowhow but no creativity.

Yeah, no kidding. The only possible argument you could make is "Japanese developers are hamstrung by their corporate masters" and then well whoops!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So I've never beaten a Megaman game and have only briefly attempted 1 and 9. I'm aware that the story isn't really that important, so which games should I do first?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

So I've never beaten a Megaman game and have only briefly attempted 1 and 9. I'm aware that the story isn't really that important, so which games should I do first?

If you want a really solid starting place, most people would tell you to play Mega Man 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

flatluigi posted:

Mega Man 2 on the NES and/or Mega Man X on the SNES.

After that it's kind of up to you. I for example loved 3 and 9 on the NES but not much else, and wasn't able to really get into any of the X series after X1.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

flatluigi posted:

Mega Man 3 is one of the few that are beatable by humans if you don't look anything up.

Jutturna
May 22, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Mega Man 6 for the NES is one of the easiest games in the series, I would try to beat that first before any of the 8-bit games.

edit: whoops meant NES

Jutturna fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2010

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Jutturna posted:

Mega Man 6 for the SNES is one of the easiest games in the series, I would try to beat that first before any of the 8-bit games.

Mega Man 5 is pretty easy too but unlike 6 (which introduced some cool new gimmicks in the form of Rush Adapters) MM5 is just bad.

I'd suggest going through the series in order starting with MM2 and if you get stuck on one, feel free to jump into the next one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pokecapn posted:

Mega Man 3 is one of the few that are beatable by humans if you don't look anything up.

I'm not entirely sure they even programmed an ending for MM1.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm not entirely sure they even programmed an ending for MM1.

When I got the Anniversary Collection and decided that I should beat every Mega Man game, MM1 took me as long as the rest of the NES games combined.

I'm pretty sure that gutsman's stage made me cry.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

My least favorite NES games are probably 1 and 5, with my favorites being 2, 3, and 6 (kind of surprised to see some people give 6 props, since the fanbase seems to love making GBS threads on it). I like the Robot Masters in 5, but the Proto Man shtick is just tiring. 1 is like a lot of early NES games -- kind of inaccessible, too hard, and not very good compared to its sequels.

SNES-wise, Mega Man 7 is pretty good but absurdly difficult at the end and therefore way too rage-inducing. X1 and X2 are fun to play and a little bit easier than X3, which also suffers from some bullshit difficulty. Rockman & Forte is also awesome if you enjoy the idea of playing as Forte (it owns).

Oh, and not like anyone cares, but the GameBoy games are awesome in their own right. They're kind kind of like remixes of the NES games. III and IV are the best, and V is worth a play if only because it uses an interesting new gimmick.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Any of the Super Nintendo or PSone games. So basically MegaMan X1-X5, MegaMan 7 and 8. Also the other classic MegaMan games are pretty sweet (1-10) but I just perfer the 16 to 32 bit era.

Stay far away from anything that has Battle Network, StarForce, or ZX in the title. Also the X games after 5 are terrible.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

RumbleFish posted:

SNES-wise, Mega Man 7 is pretty good but absurdly difficult at the end and therefore way too rage-inducing. X1 and X2 are fun to play and a little bit easier than X3, which also suffers from some bullshit difficulty. Rockman & Forte is also awesome if you enjoy the idea of playing as Forte (it owns).

X1 is probably the easiest Mega Man game, period. R&F is up there in difficulty with X6 and 1, that game's absurd.

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

"Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering! Then if I tear you to pieces, the pain will stop!"
:furcry:

Orcasword posted:

Any of the Super Nintendo or PSone games. So basically MegaMan X1-X5, MegaMan 7 and 8. Also the other classic MegaMan games are pretty sweet (1-10) but I just perfer the 16 to 32 bit era.

Stay far away from anything that has Battle Network, StarForce, or ZX in the title. Also the X games after 5 are terrible.

The ZX series is just metroid megaman and pretty dull at that but megamanzero left me feeing satisfied altogether.
The ranking system is so harsh

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

pokecapn posted:

X1 is probably the easiest Mega Man game, period. R&F is up there in difficulty with X6 and 1, that game's absurd.

Yeah, it was pretty hard when I played the game with Mega Man. Bass, on the other hand, was a sweet breath of fresh air. Bosses tend to be a bitch when playing as him (Except for that giant tank in one of the King Stages. Praise the Lord for shooting upwards). Overall, I had a fun experience.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Orcasword posted:

Any of the Super Nintendo or PSone games. So basically MegaMan X1-X5, MegaMan 7 and 8.
Don't try to trick the poor guy into playing MegaMan 8! That's just mean.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Seriously, go get Mega Man Anniversary Collection. And the X Collection, too. Everyone should own these (unless you already have the originals). And I have the originals and I still own them.

2 and 3 are widely considered to be the best of the original series. I also like 6 a lot, too. Although no one else does. I like 6 a lot because it was the first I owned and the racial caricature robots are hilariously un-PC. Though to be honest, and many people say otherwise, but you can't go wrong with any of the classic Mega Man games from 1-10. Even weaker titles like Mega Man 8 are still pretty fun games. The GameBoy series is a little more iffy (MMI-III for Game Boy you can definitely pass) although VI and V are good.

For the X games, start with X1, and play them in order. Play X1-X4. Then you should probably stop at X5. Avoid X6-7 like the plague.

Legends is fantastic but it's also Mega Man in name only.

Battle Network and Starforce I can't really tell you about, because I loathe them.

J-Spot posted:

Don't try to trick the poor guy into playing MegaMan 8! That's just mean.

Mega Man 7 and 8 get a lot of hate, and no, they are not anywhere near as good as the rest. But I still like them and have fun with them. Mega Man 7 is really more of a sequel to the Game Boy series than the NES series in terms of gameplay, oddly enough.

Though you literally cannot go wrong with any of the NES style games. (Unless you count the first 3 Game Boy games as NES style games). Some are better than others, but none are bad and all are pretty fun.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Thwack! posted:

Yeah, it was pretty hard when I played the game with Mega Man. Bass, on the other hand, was a sweet breath of fresh air. Bosses tend to be a bitch when playing as him (Except for that giant tank in one of the King Stages. Praise the Lord for shooting upwards). Overall, I had a fun experience.

This is exactly it. Stages are easy with Bass (especially with Treble around to cheat with), but bosses are pretty tough. The reverse is true for Mega Man, though the King fights are hard with either.

I like MM6 because the Robot Masters are unique and interesting without being too weird or dumb. (I realize a shitload of people will disagree with this.) It also has some of the best graphics on the NES. I even enjoyed the music, though a lot of people hate on its soundtrack and its admittedly not as classic as others. Of course, a lot of people hate on MM6 period, but I thought it was a good finale for the NES games.

Oh, and I don't know how I forgot about X4, but it's easily my favorite non-SNES X game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Spiffo posted:

Mega Man 5 is pretty easy too but unlike 6 (which introduced some cool new gimmicks in the form of Rush Adapters) MM5 is just bad.

Pshtt, MM5 had Gravity Man's theme which is just awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAKsDKk-CE