Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

CaptainScraps posted:

You people are monsters.

:colbert:

Some people live their lives 6 minutes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Solomon Grundy posted:

And then you get to bill for an appeal, too.

You mean you skipped motion for reconsideration and went right on to the appeal?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Alaemon posted:

You mean you skipped motion for reconsideration and went right on to the appeal?

Sometimes you know you're gonna get nowhere with the judge...of course if you can bill for it and your client doesn't care, might as well start there.

You need some new evidence though, not just the judge getting the law wrong, don't you?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Alaemon posted:

Note that we were both talking about winning an MSJ, which typically results in a final judgment (putting aside any 56(d) partial summary judgment stuff).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Defleshed posted:

Haha it's so funny how much different Army JAG is than Marine JAG. I was an enlisted Marine and I'll take chillaxing behind my desk as an Army JAG over that oorah semper fidelis motivator bullshit anytime, I care not if there are fatbodies sitting next to me.

I went the opposite way. Army brat my entire life, then Marines as a JA.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

joat mon posted:

I went the opposite way. Army brat my entire life, then Marines as a JA.

IDF or GTFO.

Buncha pussies.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

J Miracle posted:

You need some new evidence though, not just the judge getting the law wrong, don't you?

That's the theory. However it rarely stops the attorneys who practice in front of my judge. Most of the reconsideration motions that cross my desk are of the "I don't like how you ruled, so change it" variety.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
I got into Georgetown

People have been supportive so I need you guys to remind me that I'll die by my own hand, penniless and alone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trash Can Man posted:

I got into Georgetown

People have been supportive so I need you guys to remind me that I'll die by my own hand, penniless and alone.

Nah you're a snowflake, you're good

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Trash Can Man posted:

I got into Georgetown

Congrats. Do Section 3. It will make law school interesting for the first year.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ersatz posted:

Is that the CLS curriculum?

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Trash Can Man posted:

I got into Georgetown

This has already been posted on this thread, but http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/update-on-the-georgetown-law-grad-who-sold-his-j-d-on-craigslist/

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Ersatz posted:

+1 for Section 3. Don't forget to drink every morning.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I vote against Section 3. It's even more removed from the realities of law practice than your typical law school experience. You spend 1 year learning all sorts of crit legal theories that have zero, and I do mean zero, application to your career as an attorney. You will sit through lecture after lecture of incredibly abstract, postmodernist critiques of the law, and while this area of legal scholarship is quite interesting as an academic exercise, it really skews your perspective about legal practice. The harm: Section 3 distracts you from an appropriate career search, it doesn't help you figure out what kind of law you want to practice.

I know many people from Section 3, all of them are great people. Most of them hate the practice of law.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

I know many people from Section 3, all of them are great people. Most of them hate the practice of law.

Maybe this is because the practice of law is truly hateful ~*~

also, DC goons - the video game case goes before SCOTUS tomorrow at 10 AM.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Trash Can Man posted:

I got into Georgetown

Congrats. Worst case scenario, in theory you can use their awesome gym to get yolked and then marry into East Coast wealth.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Petey posted:

also, DC goons - the video game case goes before SCOTUS tomorrow at 10 AM.

Can you provide a one paragraph case brief please?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Got a lateral offer!

Just waiting on background/reference checks, and I'm out.

e: Submitted a resume Thursday afternoon, called to setup interview Thursday night, interview Friday, offer Friday.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 1, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

gvibes posted:

Got a lateral offer!

Just waiting on background/reference checks, and I'm out.

Hell yeah way to go. Thread doing good today.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

entris posted:

Can you provide a one paragraph case brief please?

short:

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/eanf

quote:

Issue: (1) Whether the First Amendment permits any limits on offensive content in violent video games sold to minors; and (2) whether a state regulation for displaying offensive, harmful images to children is invalid if it fails to satisfy the exacting “strict scrutiny” standard of review.

Plain English Issue: Does a state law restricting the sale of violent video games to minors violate the First Amendment right to free speech?

background: http://www.scotusblog.com/?p=107224

goony brief:

quote:

Although the parties agree that videogames are constitutionally protected expression, the State of California nevertheless asks this Court to find that violent videogames “are simply not worthy of constitutional protection when sold to minors without parental participation.”3 The State asks the Court to make this judgment while providing only a single example of a game it deems to be violent—and offering essentially no context regarding the expressive nature of games that could fall under the Act. Meanwhile, one of the State’s amici supporters, seizing on the State’s theme that games are valueless, asks the Court to declare that videogames are not protected expression at all.

It makes little sense, however, to consider the extent to which constitutional protections apply to an expressive medium absent familiarity with the medium itself. And because videogames are not yetas ubiquitous in mainstream culture as books or movies, this familiarity cannot be presumed. IGDA and AIAS accordingly submit this brief in part to provide background about videogames.

from: http://www.igda.org/sites/default/files/IGDA-AIAS-AmicusBrief-SCHvEMA.pdf

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005
So what classes do you guys recommend taking spring of 1L year? Course registration is starting soon and I don't know what the gently caress. Post easy classes I can get an A in please.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

I would add that being in "Section 3" at Georgetown is certainly not a prerequisite for hating the practice of law.

Petey posted:

some poo poo

Who the hell wrote an amicus brief to advocate for video games to not be protected speech?

Harry Ellis posted:

Do you already have a job lined up? Alternatively, are you resigned to unemployment and just want to enjoy yourself while you can?

It blows my mind that anyone still in law school in this market would be hamstringing themselves with a schedule like this while their more desperate colleagues load up on clinics and other classes that don't scream lazy to would be employers.

Hahaha employers don't care which courses you take they only care about your GPA and class rank, so make it easy on yourself and arrange a schedule which maximizes Xbox and alcohol consumption time.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 1, 2010

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

blar posted:

I will be enjoying my last semester of law school with the following courses: (1) Emotion and the Law; (2) The Wire Seminar. For a fleeting moment I thought about possibly taking Family Law or Business Associations but then I remembered that I'm paying BarBri $2,000. gently caress all of you who won't be writing a 15 page take-home final on Hamsterdam.

Do you already have a job lined up? Alternatively, are you resigned to unemployment and just want to enjoy yourself while you can?

It blows my mind that anyone still in law school in this market would be hamstringing themselves with a schedule like this while their more desperate colleagues load up on clinics and other classes that don't scream lazy to would be employers.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Harry Ellis posted:

There are so many recent law grads applying for jobs that I'll bet employers look at A)where you went to school and B) what your GPA was. I doubt they spend time looking through course listings.

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

entris posted:

There are so many recent law grads applying for jobs that I'll bet employers look at A)where you went to school and B) what your GPA was. I doubt they spend time looking through course listings.

Defleshed posted:

Hahaha employers don't care which courses you take they only care about your GPA and class rank, so make it easy on yourself and arrange a schedule which maximizes Xbox and alcohol consumption time.

Sure, but getting an interview doesn't exactly guarantee you a job anymore.

I don't know about your experience, but every starting associate position I've applied to requires an unofficial transcript and I've been asked about my electives during interviews. For instance my last interviewer grilled me on the fact that I took mostly transactional electives and was applying for a litigation position.

At some point it's going to come down to you and the other guy(s); I'd rather be the guy who took BA...

Harry Ellis fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 1, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Harry Ellis posted:

At some point it's going to come down to you and the other guy(s); I'd rather be the guy who took BA...

That's a fair point.

I don't think a law student should load up on strange electives, but 1-3 "Emotion and the Law" courses probably won't hurt, so long as the rest of your choices are relevant to the area of law that you want to be in.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Defleshed posted:

Who the hell wrote an amicus brief to advocate for video games to not be protected speech?

Several right wing 'save the children' groups. The brief I linked argues for protection.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Harry Ellis posted:

I'm working full-time at a civil litigation firm next semester and if that doesn't pan out then I have a guaranteed job in immigration. Employment with a big/mid-size firm has not been available to me since I struck out in 2L OCI. In fact, taking a 4 credit BA course would only limit the amount of hours I could work getting hands-on experience. At this point, real experience as well as time spent networking is far more beneficial than raising my hand in BA.

Immigration is the only field I've experienced where employers actually care if you completed any relevant course work. Everyone else simply focuses on GPA or class rank. I mean if your resume or cover letter can't overcome the stench of laziness on your transcripts then I don't know what to tell you. I know outside of immigration I've never had to list my coursework as the highlights of my resume skill-set.

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

blar posted:

I'm working full-time at a civil litigation firm next semester and if that doesn't pan out then I have a guaranteed job in immigration. Employment with a big/mid-size firm has not been available to me since I struck out in 2L OCI. In fact, taking a 4 credit BA course would only limit the amount of hours I could work getting hands-on experience. At this point, real experience as well as time spent networking is far more beneficial than raising my hand in BA.

OK that makes sense; your post read to me like those 2 classes were all you were doing last semester.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

blar posted:

Immigration is the only field I've experienced where employers actually care if you completed any relevant course work. Everyone else simply focuses on GPA or class rank. I mean if your resume or cover letter can't overcome the stench of laziness on your transcripts then I don't know what to tell you. I know outside of immigration I've never had to list my coursework as the highlights of my resume skill-set.

Would you mind if I sent you some questions? I'm a 1L interested in getting into immigration law and was wondering a few things about the field.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Direwolf posted:

Would you mind if I sent you some questions? I'm a 1L interested in getting into immigration law and was wondering a few things about the field.

Absolutely just send me a PM. Unfortunately you missed the deadline for DOJ SLIP with their immigration court for your 1L summer but I can walk you through how to get into that position next year.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hello law thread. Despite having read your warnings time and again in my consideration of what the hell i'm going to do for a job in life, I've somehow come back to law time and again, and i'm trying to narrow down what schools i want to send my applications to. I'm going to be graduating with my major in English, with minors Philosophy, Political Science, and Character in Leadership studies (new program at our school focusing on leadership. not much substance to it, but it's not hard, and it sounds nice on paper.) I got a 157 on the LSAT, and I anticipate about 3.8 out of 4.0 GPA when I'm all said and done.

I am particularly interested in Intellectual property law. Also, i'd prefer if I could either stay in the upper midwest, or end up somewhere on the upper west coast, simply because of the climate, terrain, outdoors activities stuff, for where i'd like to end up living. As much as i'd like to just be able to throw out an application to every decent school in both of those areas, that would A. be very expensive and B. just postpone having to choose. So, in addition to doing some research on my own, I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable goons here what they think would be good suggestions for schools.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm going to be graduating with my major in English, with minors Philosophy, Political Science, and Character in Leadership studies (new program at our school focusing on leadership.

quote:

I am particularly interested in Intellectual property law.

No.

quote:

I got a 157 on the LSAT

Don't go to law school.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I got a 157 on the LSAT,
Don't go to law school, you dumb chucklefuck

Work in rights/contracts at a publishing house. Or be a paralegal or something.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Totally loving the GBS hysterics over "6 year old girl can be sued for bicycle accident."

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I am particularly interested in Intellectual property law.
Without a technical background, this is very very difficult. I know some people who have successfully done so, but it's a huge long shot. Also, all the good copyright work is focused in New York and California, so you are basically stuck with trademark.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
As far as IP law is concerned, unless you're talking Copyright or Trademark, you need a technical background to even be considered. A 4 year degree in a hard science is (I believe) required to sit for the patent bar, although I believe you can prosecute patents without having that background. Whether anyone would give you a job doing that without the background is another story entirely.

Your GPA is pretty good, but you must MUST retake the LSAT. A 157 will not get you into any school worth going to, (the schools worth going to right now are the Top 14 of the USNWR rankings, and even that is debatable).

I can't say it enough: don't go anywhere that accepts you with a 157. I got a 159 and went to the "best" school I could get into in my geographic area. This was before the bust in the "wayback" days of 2006.

I did well in law school, but I couldn't get a legal job if my life depended on it. The job I currently hold is awesome but is entirely based on my experience prior to law school, and does not require a JD. In essence I wasted $200k and 3.5 years of my life (evening program). At a school with a median LSAT accepted of 161.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Totally loving the GBS hysterics over "6 year old girl can be sued for bicycle accident."

The court orders garnishment of any future wages from lawn-mowings, lemonade stands, and/or bake sales. :doink:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
judging by responses, I think i need to clarify:

I mentioned intellectual property because I find it interesting, so that's the direction I'd like to go if it's possible. I don't mind if I don't end up in a big firm, or make shittons of cash, or any of that. I want to do something I find interesting for a living. If that's not possible, so be it, I'm just trying to give a general idea of what interests me. I know full well that i'm not smart enough/didn't score high enough on the LSAT/don't have the best undergrad degree(though the academic advidors at my college were insistent that it was not so much an issue. they could be wrong and I wouldn't know. It;s too late now) at to get into a top tier school. I would be satisfied going to a t2 school and getting a job in a small firm and just making a living. If that isn't remotely possible, then, fine, I'd more than willing to listen to suggestions of other areas of law that would be more fitting. I do have my mind set on law, and I have spent a lot of time considering my other options, and i'd appreciate if we could avoid repeating all of the OP's information about why law school is a bad idea. I've read it time and again, and I know the kind of debt/job market hell that it entails. I'm looking for advice here, not a flat out "you're too stupid, go away"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm looking for advice here, not a flat out "you're too stupid, go away"
Law school is stupid, go away. Seriously, unless you get into a T14 (you won't), you should go to law school.

If you really, really really want to be a lawyer: Study your rear end off for the LSAT and get a 170+