Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're going on a paid shoot or something, that's a perfect idea.

If you're just some schlub you can always buy a luggage tag, print out a checklist and get it laminated, throw the checcklist in the luggage tag and consult it before you leave the house.

This saved my rear end so many time when I started playing hockey since I'd always be forgetting something or other -- checked the tag and all of a sudden I've got a full checklist. Planning on doing the same thing for my camera bag since I just realized my CF cards are lying on my computer instead of in the camera and bag respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

brad industry posted:

Nope, don't want to start that. Spam your facebook or whatever like everybody else.

Figured as much.. cheers for the clarification.. (worth throwing in the forum rules?)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Helmacron posted:

Do you print that out every day?
Just make a ton of photocopies. I have a few lists for each bag, too, they're long strips. There are three on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper, I cut them up, and use one for each bag before packing everything in the car.

Really, really, good practice. Clients aren't very understanding of "Ooops forgot my battery pack cables, brb."

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I use google tasks to do the same thing, I can do it from my computer or from my phone. After you are done your job/trip you can uncheck all the items and use it again.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Helmacron posted:

Do you print that out every day?

Just when I go to locations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So I keep seeing this same camera at different thrift stores- it's a big plastic fake SLR, with a pseudo-TLR-like brilliant viewfinder. It's always banded with the Canon logo, though Canon would obviously never make such a monstrosity. Anyone seen these before?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
My dad just managed to score a 70-200 2.8 and a 300 f/4 Canon lens both for 500 USD total. I don't even use telephotos, but drat that's a good deal.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

poopinmymouth posted:

My dad just managed to score a 70-200 2.8 and a 300 f/4 Canon lens both for 500 USD total. I don't even use telephotos, but drat that's a good deal.

That's a mega mega mega good deal. Craigslist?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Thats a "this must be stolen" kind of deal. Or deceased estate or something like that.

In other news Facebook has increased the the quality of its photos. Up to 2048 pixels now or something and the ability to make prints is being developed or something Expecting it to taking more bites out of flickr eventually.

Heres an example of the better quality

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=441929318950&set=a.431705768950.218732.23497828950

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Either the gear is stolen or the seller is a new crack addict. (or the poo poo is broke, and where's the fun in that? )

Grats to your dad on the killer deal.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Looks at this scrub, trying to hand hold a 1/4s exposure @ 16mm on a 5k camera and it came out all blurry :smug:

http://twitpic.com/32e3kd/full

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would give a kidney to have an opportunity at taking that shot.

It amazes me how high up you can be, and still resolve points in a city. He gets from Israel to Tunisia and you can still pick out Cairo.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That's a mega mega mega good deal. Craigslist?

Nope, art teacher at my mother's school who used to be a photographer. (who isn't a meth dealer).

She bought them new several years ago, and I'm assuming she just figured normal devaluing applied to lenses. I don't think my dad will use the 300 much. I'm thinking of offering him 400 for it and we'd both still come out ahead.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

coke posted:

Looks at this scrub, trying to hand hold a 1/4s exposure @ 16mm on a 5k camera and it came out all blurry :smug:

http://twitpic.com/32e3kd/full

17,000mph blur.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Nope, art teacher at my mother's school who used to be a photographer. (who isn't a meth dealer).

She bought them new several years ago, and I'm assuming she just figured normal devaluing applied to lenses. I don't think my dad will use the 300 much. I'm thinking of offering him 400 for it and we'd both still come out ahead.

Man that's the deal of the drat year right there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://gizmodo.com/5678601/what-your-choice-of-camera-says-about-you

What Your Choice of Camera Says About You

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

xzzy posted:

It amazes me how high up you can be, and still resolve points in a city. He gets from Israel to Tunisia and you can still pick out Cairo.

low earth orbit isn't very far away. the space station is 173 miles away and if you run the calcs for how well you can resolve a point source from a distance (in space, darkness, etc) you'd be really surprised.

math stuff below:
Threshold Intensity/observing area = Radiated Power/Surface Area = R. Power / (4 Pi dist^2). E = planck constant * speed of light / wavelength (planck & speed of light are constants & wavelength is between 400-600 nm). Use a threshold intensity, eg human eye will trigger on ~5 photons, and area, pi (5 mm)^2

so assuming a 10 W red light bulb:

5/(pi (5 mm)^2) = 10/(h c/600 nm) / (4 pi r^2) and solve for r.

god im bored

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 2, 2010

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

spog posted:

gently caress it i wanna buy a sigma camera. :smug:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

low earth orbit isn't very far away. the space station is 173 miles away and if you run the calcs for how well you can resolve a point source from a distance (in space, darkness, etc) you'd be really surprised.

math stuff below:
Threshold Intensity = Radiated Power/Surface Area = R. Power / (4 Pi dist^2). E = planck constant * speed of light / wavelength (planck & speed of light are constants & wavelength is between 400-600 nm). Use an arbitrary threshold intensity, eg human ocular cone cell will trigger on 5 photons.

so assuming a 10 W red light bulb:

5 = 10/(h c/600 nm) / (4 pi r^2) and solve for r.

god im bored

What the gently caress does that even mean

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

spog posted:

I like to imagine brand fanboys getting seriously offended over this article

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

it's the max distance that you can observe a light source with perfect seeing and no other light. it's also AP level physics fwiw

also made an error. gunna edit in a correction.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 2, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

So how far way could you say see a normal 60W globe or whatever is in a house?

Its been 5 years since I touched much in the way of maths.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I'm guessing r shouldn't end up in Newtons.... it's been too long since I've done math.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

My Renault is awesome, I'll have you know. :v:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Beastruction posted:

I'm guessing r shouldn't end up in Newtons.... it's been too long since I've done math.

If you end up with distance measured in Newtons, you've done something wrong. Something terribly wrong.

@600nm, E = 6.626e-34*3e8/600e-9 = 3.313e-19 J/photon
@10W (J/s), 10/3.313e-19 = 3.02e19 photon/sec
Human eye flicker fusion rate ~25Hz
@1/25 sec, 3.02e19/25 = 1.21e18 photons/25th sec
so 1.21e18 photons are produced by a 10W bulb in 1/25 sec and they all pass through an area 4*pi*R^2 (surface area of a sphere)
aperture of pupil @5mm = pi*(5e-3)^2 = 7.85e-5m^2
so if 5 are needed (and I don't think this is correct - the fovea responds to 5 photons, but the brain doesn't process the signal, but assuming it is correct)
5/1.21e18 = 7.85e-5/(4*pi*R^2)
R = sqrt[(7.85e-5*1.21e18)/(5*4*pi)] = 1.2e6m, or

1,200km

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 2, 2010

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Let's stop talking about math now, please.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

spog posted:

Weird, I don't really agree with any of these.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Weird, I don't really agree with any of these.

Well, humour is subjective and all that, but I found it pretty funny and thought the sterotypes hit the mark well.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

spog posted:

Is there really this much switching between Nikon and Canon? Everyone I've talked to seems to be a lifer one way or the other.

Maybe I should stop hanging out with wedding photographers though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

The Affair posted:

Is there really this much switching between Nikon and Canon? Everyone I've talked to seems to be a lifer one way or the other.

Maybe I should stop hanging out with wedding photographers though.

I know the paper I work at switched from Nikon to Canon during a period when Nikon seemed to neglect the pro market and focus mostly on consumer P&S. Having 15 photographers and hundreds of lenses, I'm sure this was no spur of the moment rash decision. If Canon did something similar, I guarantee they would do it again: photos are that important for the paper.

I'd assume other people have similar reasons: a buddy has a bunch of brand X lenses, so you switch to that brand. You see a great deal on a few lenses when your current kit isn't that big, making it worth the switch. One company or the other has a camera you want for whatever reason (video, better sensor, etc).

Honestly if you sell the lenses and body you have, and then buy used lenses for the "new" brand you generally come out only slightly behind.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I imagine it's true, Nikon handles super high ISOs better, Canon handles video better, Nikon has the cheap 35mm lens that makes some people want to start with them, Canon has the better high end telephotos/super teles.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Even though I can't afford it right now, I would feel better about Nikon if they just had an 85 f/1.2.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Even though I can't afford it right now, I would feel better about Nikon if they just had an 85 f/1.2.
Secretly hoping you're serious.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

Secretly hoping you're serious.

I don't understand, is there a Nikon 85 f/1.2?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
It's a joke at FM users expense I think, it's pretty common to see people selling off their whole "investment" in one system for another because of the latest body that has that killer feature.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't understand, is there a Nikon 85 f/1.2?
No but I'd rather have an SWM 85/1.4 than the current 85/1.2: it's huge/heavy, and AF is comparatively slower (as in slower than the 300 bucks 1.8).

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I want to check out that Sigma 85mm 1.4, but they're $900 :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dunkman posted:

I want to check out that Sigma 85mm 1.4, but they're $900 :(
Yeah I'm kinda curious too. No shops around it stock it (yet?) so I'm having to wait til next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I'm kinda curious too. No shops around it stock it (yet?) so I'm having to wait til next time I'm in Amsterdam.
Does Amsterdam get stuff sooner than wherever it is you are at, or is it cheaper? Asking because I have family in Leiden and I might sieze the opportunity to get some gear. I'm in Finland so every loving thing is both expensive and on the shelves later than the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rixatrix posted:

Does Amsterdam get stuff sooner than wherever it is you are at, or is it cheaper?
The shops here are just small/crappy. My favorite online shop is actually the extension of a brick and mortar enterprise and they happen to be in Amsterdam.
If you want to have your family send you stuff over, them buying it online would probably be cheapest.