Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

manguero posted:

Sounds to me like minimum wage jobs is an employer's market in your area, if they could get rid of you so easily.

That seems about right as I'm from upstate New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's another jobs thread here for anyone that hasn't spotted it yet.

I've not had to work retail (yet) but because of these threads I always try and smile at the people on tills or wherever, your day is probably a lot shittier than mine.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.

MJP posted:

::retailrefugeebrofist::

Godspeed, brother. My tolerance for retail weirdness as a customer has increased dramatically. The person I speak to who picks up the phone, stands at the counter, or wanders the store wearing a name tag, does not set policy. They have at best minimal influence over how quickly the line moves. They don't have the slightest control over customers leaving full-price expensive stuff on clearance shelves or misprinted ads. These realizations have gotten me dramatically nicer reactions from every cashier I speak to.

Working retail has taught me that just because I am a paying customer does not mean I lose, or am granted license to ignore, my humanity. If I take something off the shelf and later decide I don't want or need it before checkout, it goes back to the shelf from whence it came. No one else should have to pay for my indecision. Oh, it came from the other side of the store? Well, Mr. Pops, maybe the long trip back will be an Important Lesson on the values of budgeting and forethought.

The bank where I work is (or was, at least on paper) very customer service oriented. They are also gradually merging with another whose name rhymes with "Bells Cargo," whose approach is distinctly different. They still use monthly phone surveys, but the way these are designed...

Under the old bank's system, there were four questions we were graded on, each one on a one-to-seven scale. The goal was an average of 6.75 or 7, and the questions were relatively well thought-out in terms of how they were phrased. So long as we averaged at least 6 overall, we were still okay. Under the new system, it's a five-point scale, and unless we average 5/5 on questions like "how satisfied were you with your wait time?", we get a stern talking-to from management, a blot on our employee record, and district-level people coming by to "see how things are going."

Oh, and if the branch as a whole accumulates more than two non-perfect reviews in any given month, the entire staff loses its bonus. For the quarter.

With that in mind, I've similarly changed my policy regarding answering customer service surveys. My policy is that all surveys are cheerfully answered, and all ratings default to "Full credit, keep up the good work." The "Great job! ...But there's always some room for improvement" review has been the bane of my existence for too long for me to do otherwise.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Meow Cadet posted:

And when I met him, I called him Mr. Fancy Pants. I have no idea why I did that.

God, please tell me you did it like this.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Not retail, but food service (who really gives a poo poo, though). There's this one moron who comes in through the drive-through every Sunday, and places his order at the box. He gets to the window, then changes half the items on his order, usually changing the sandwiches or bagels. His entire order is already made up, so we throw out the stuff he doesn't want, and make the stuff he changes his order to. Then, he gets all pissy that we always take too long. gently caress that guy.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Dear Customers,

If you've brought your own re-usable bags please inform me that you've brought your own re-usable bags before I've bagged over half of your order in our not-your-own-and while-technically-re-usable-it's-easier-to-just-throw-them-out-or-use-them-for-household-trash plastic bags.

Love,
the thugged one

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2010

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

We had a woman who would regularly steal shirts from us. She used to hit our store and the one across town, and all of us managers knew her face and who she was. We were never, EVER allowed to accuse her of stealing, not even if we see her doing it, but the minute she set foot in either store, we were on her like stink on poo poo. If she lifted one store, we would call the other store and give them a heads up.

Now, our store had a return policy where any and all returns required an ID, even if you had a receipt. We run your ID through a scanner, and it sends a signal to corporate. Customers are only allowed a certain number of returns within a certain time period, so if you've exceeded that amount, your return is denied. If it's approved and you have your receipt, you get your money back. If you don't have a receipt, you get store credit. If you're not approved at all, welp, tough poo poo, you can't make your return today. 99% of the returns I made were approved though, so even though there are restrictions, it's still a pretty liberal poilcy.

Anyway, so this woman steals a stack of tops from the store across town, and a week later, she tries to return them (without a receipt of course) and get store credit for them. The store manager across town is the one doing the return, and she of course knows what's up. The woman must've known her return would get denied, so she gives the manager her husband's ID instead of hers. The manager refuses the return and the woman argues with her. The manager says, "You're [her full name], right? This isn't your ID, so I can't let you return these."

So the woman gives up and leaves.

The next day, the store manager gets a call from corporate. This bitch had the nerve to call up corporate and tell them that she's suing the company for discrimination because they refused her return.

First of all, she loving stole the tops from the store, and second of all, she attempted to fraud the company. What the gently caress. I don't know what corporate said to her, but she dropped the legal action. They probably sent her a gift card for her "trouble." loving people...

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Dear Customers,

If you've brought your own re-usable bags please inform me that you've brought your own re-usable bags before I've bagged over half of your order in our not-your-own-and while-technically-re-usable-it's-easier-to-just-throw-them-out-or-use-them-for-household-trash plastic bags.

Love,
the thugged one

Oh god, a thousand times this. I honestly don't mind using those cloth bags at all. But for the love of god, please let me know about them or hand them to me before I start bagging poo poo in our environment killing, seal clubbing plastic bags.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
I work for a certain blue and yellow themed retailer and it's not half as bad as I thought it would be 4 months ago when I got the job out of post-grad desperation to pay rent. Besides certain customers, the only really bad part is I have pathetic wages for my education and skills. Selling computers is fun since I'm a big nerd but there are definitely still customers that can sour anyone's mood.

I realize that in other cultures bargaining is a big part of buying stuff but no matter how many ways you ask, the laptops cost what the label says. We already sell them basically at cost and include freebies and discounts on items you purchase with it.

I don't know when or if the laptop would go on discount, why would I know that?? If you don't care what your laptop is or what it does go to Wal-Mart or some poo poo to get the cheapest one. I'm sorry to inform you you need a laptop that's over $400 to do what you want it to do, maybe you should have done some research.

Other people in the thread are complaining about credit card apps being pushed but at my store it's one of the only genuinely good deals for everyone (assuming you're buying more than a couple DVD's) unless you're a colossal fuckup with credit.

Dear management: when we get 10 couples standing around in the computer section on a Saturday afternoon while all of our PC staff is occupied, you should probably consider rearranging the hours for the future. Pissed off and impatient people aren't going to buy your warranties and services, especially the entitled assholes living in our extremely affluent area.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Oh also I get that it's Sunday so you can't go to the bank, but paying for your $600 computer and accessories in $1s and $5s kinda holds up the line pal. Not exaggerating.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

pastor of muppets posted:

The next day, the store manager gets a call from corporate. This bitch had the nerve to call up corporate and tell them that she's suing the company for discrimination because they refused her return.

First of all, she loving stole the tops from the store, and second of all, she attempted to fraud the company. What the gently caress. I don't know what corporate said to her, but she dropped the legal action. They probably sent her a gift card for her "trouble." loving people...

That's the greatest thing. These thieves will often call and complain angrily........ and they tend to end up getting some sort of reward for it. It's just sad. I wish it could be like: "We'll look into it and call you back tomorrow." *calls up store, finds out story, calls lady back* "Hey we're going to follow up your complaint with a big fat gently caress YOU."

Apocalypse Please posted:

I realize that in other cultures bargaining is a big part of buying stuff but no matter how many ways you ask, the laptops cost what the label says. We already sell them basically at cost and include freebies and discounts on items you purchase with it.

It's always a joy dealing with Indians in our store... as I realize they do bargain in their culture... but we'll get the same ones over and over and they'll come up with some item that has a scratch on it (or better yet, just a scratch on the box)... and there will be 40 more of that item out on the floor.

:smug: - Customer
:geno: - Me

:smug: : Yes. I would like to know how much I can get this for because the box has a scratch on it.
:geno: : I believe we had several more of this over there if you would like me to have someone bring one up in better condition.
:smug: : No. I want this one, how much can I get off of it for the scratch?
:geno: : I'm sorry, we can't sell anything damaged and discounted unless it's the last of the item, I can only sell you one of the others for full pri-
:derp: : NO I DO NOT WANT IT! *shoves item off register and storms out*

slow dive
Mar 13, 2007

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.
Oh retail thread, I've missed you! And I return to your cynical and sarcastic embrace fat with stories of my growing despair.

I am, by the way, an apparently inhuman member of the red and khaki elite.

A woman switched a tag for a $14.99 sampler pack of shampoos and soaps and practically burst into tears when I told her, in spite of her insistence, I did not 'have' to honor the $2.14 clearance tag on it. I pointed out that the tag was for a pack of barrettes and explained, "Sometimes kids mess around with it, or someone will switch a tag so they can pick it up later... the sticker was placed over the barcode, which no one who works here would do, we put the tags on the front..." but she just kept repeating, "But if the tag's on there, you have to honor it, don't you?" She was red in the face, whining and sniveling, tearing up, the whole nine yards, putting a lot of pressure on me. She was a young woman, possibly in her late teens and was well-dressed and didn't appear drug-addled. Perhaps she was simply so spoiled no one had ever told her no in her life. I told her I'd ask my boss about it, the manager told her more or less the same thing, and she stormed off.

Later, she interrupted a mother and daughter I was ringing up, trying to exchange her store gift card for their cash. I said, "Ma'am!" quite sternly to her and she said, "But I've been allowed to do it before!" And I just shook my head and said, "Ma'am, no." I would have asked her to leave, but she stormed off, so I reported it to assets protection (they were already aware of the tag-switching).

It's a scam people will run - steal a bunch of small things and exchange it for store credit, though you can only get about $60 out of that (or buy something with a stolen credit card and exchange it for store credit) IIRC, and then push someone else - targeting older customers, I've found, and even harassing them - into buying the card with their cash since 'they don't need it.' Of course, sometimes there isn't even money on the card at all. Even if they have a receipt showing a current balance, they can switch it out with a blank or empty one, after all.

The AP manager later told me they had her on camera switching the tag. I found the pack of barrettes in my magazine rack.

Classy. What I don't understand is for the time and effort and almost-shed-fake-tears expended (in spite of knowing she was totally full of poo poo, she was quite the actress), the total of money she would've gotten (if she'd succeeded in cadging $25 from the guests and the extra $12 off her shampoo) wasn't all that much. Why not just outright steal at that point? As with Coupon Ladies, I suspect people just get off on loving with people.

I also strongly suspect the woman and her boyfriend were busted last year for trying to return a huge stack of DVDs and so on with a receipt that had clearly been through the wash. If that was the case, she shouldn't have even been in the store.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Had this delightful exchange with a seriously stuck up bitch yesterday:

:witch: : ''I want a refund on these.'' (They NEVER say please, the first indication that there's going to be an issue.)
:what: : (Pulling all the clothes out of her carrier, and realising that they reek of cigarette smoke) ''Have you got your receipt?''
:witch: : ''Yes, here.''
:what: : (Seeing the receipt is 3 weeks old, our returns policy is within 28 days in ORIGINAL condition. Also, I served the customer initially.) ''I'm sorry, I can't accept these back, they're not in their original condition.''
:witch: : ''What do you mean? They have the tags on still.''
:what: : (Trying to be discreet) ''I know they still have the tags, but these clothes are no longer in the condition they were in when I sold them to you. We can't resell them, i'm afraid.''
:witch: : ''What's wrong with them?''
:what: : ''Well, I'm not being funny, but they smell of cigarette smoke.''
:witch: : ''That's because i'm a smoker, anything I keep in my house smells of smoke after a few hours.''
:what: : ''Well i'm sorry, but I can't accept them back, you'll have to keep them.''
:witch: : ''Get your manager, this is discrimination against smokers :argh:''
:what: : ''Okay, no problem.'' (I call my manager and discreetly explain the situation, he just laughs and calls her crazy. Says no to a return and hangs up.)
:what: : ''Nope sorry, he said the same thing.''
:witch: : ''Well that's loving stupid. Just because I smoke, i'm not allowed to return anything?''
:what: : ''No, it's nothing to do with you being a smoker. It's to do with the clothes not being in their original condition and us being unable to re-sell them. If you thought for a second you may need to return them you should have taken steps to ensure they wouldn't smell of smoke. Sorry, but our returns poilicy is clearly stated on the back of your receipt.''
:witch: : ''I'm never shopping here again, and i'm going to tell all my friends about this as well!'' (grabs stuff and storms off)
:what: : (Calling after her) ''Are they smokers as well, by any chance?''
:witch: : ''gently caress YOU!!''

A bit unprofessional at the end there, but I was getting tired of lovely customers at this point. It's a good thing my manager has a low tolerance for bellends as well, and pays zero attention to 99% of customer complaints about me, purely because on the returns desk, he rarely gets bothered by me :)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 1, 2010

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I headed to Walmart today to scour over the leftover Halloween junk and found some small things that I can use, makeup and the like, and hey, glitter, I need that for decoring my Xmas poo poo. I don't know why gold glitter would be in the Halloween markdown but there's a huge box of them, and I can do a dollar for a container of glitter.

I head to the cashier and she starts ringing up all the clearly marked Halloween stuff, and freezes at seeing the glitter. "Was this in the Halloween area?" she asks, scanning it through and it pops up full price. At 2 bucks. I tell her it was, but not to worry about it, it's an extra buck, I need the stuff anyway, and it's larger container than I'd get at the dollar store.

She seemed surprised that I wasn't throwing a loving fit over a buck to the point she repriced the glitter at 80 cents.

I can understand getting upset if you find something marked for 10 bucks and it rings up at 100 and you didn't gently caress with the price, but seriously, bad karma over a loving dollar? Or pennies.

That reminds me, time to stock up on candy so when I do xmas shopping I can pass some pieces to the cashiers. I remember working one Xmas during a neverending shift, and when a customer bought me some small candy and told me to have a good day, a contrast to the assholes before her, I almost started crying at the register. I still remember her years later. Godspeed, candy lady.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Being awesome, and Candy Lady

This just made my entire Christmas season. :unsmith:

Wow, and here I thought working retail actively destroyed people's humanity. Turns out retail vets can be some of the nicest drat folks on the planet, due precisely to their time with a name tag. I know it's situational, any of us can still have a shot at Jerk of the Year if we really wanted. We're goons - we will always have that capacity, should we so desire.

But all the same, Candy Lady, that awesome customer calling out the abusive harpy for being a bitch, the decent human beings who give you that "can you believe that last rear end in a top hat?" head shake and sympathetic chuckle... Good odds that they've Been There.
They know exactly what you have to deal with for the next four? Ten? Fifteen? hours, with maybe a half hour off for lunch.
They've worn the name tag, done the Black Fridays, worked the reshop, dealt with the regional people, put up with the lunatics that go ballistic over sales that only exist in the customer's twisted alternate universe.

They Know.

And they are forever set apart from the unwashed masses for it.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

Luquos posted:

gently caress my boss. Just, seriously. gently caress him.

He has it so badly out for me, I cannot believe it. The business I work for is very small, and till mistakes happen, especially when we get stupidly busy. These are normally fine, as long as they are small.

I'll admit, I've made a few mistakes. However, I've been consistently out £20 or more. This tipped me off. So I kept an eye on him. He loving pocketed the money from the tills, and I'm getting the blame for it. I'm probably not even going to get the chance to get evidence before I get fired.

gently caress retail. So much.

If you're as 100% sure as you say you are, I would tell him that you have video of him stealing and that you'll sit on it as long as he stops trying to get you fired. You're really not risking much (if you were in the room with him when he did it then he has no way of knowing you weren't recording) and if he's trying to get you fired anyway, then gently caress it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That reminds me, time to stock up on candy so when I do xmas shopping I can pass some pieces to the cashiers. I remember working one Xmas during a neverending shift, and when a customer bought me some small candy and told me to have a good day, a contrast to the assholes before her, I almost started crying at the register. I still remember her years later. Godspeed, candy lady.

Exactly this happened to me once! Except it was with a bottle of water rather than a sweet. Since it's summer time in December/January in Australia, working near the front doors of the shop were hell, particularly on days where it got above 35C. One day I forgot my water bottle in the break room, and after about 45 minutes of being surrounded by 38 Celcius heat and having to do the whole customer service schtick I was ready to faint. A kind old couple saw me and asked if I was alright, and after hearing I didn't have any water with me they purchased a bottle of water and gave it to me. I nearly cried when they did that, I was so grateful.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SisterFister posted:

If you're as 100% sure as you say you are, I would tell him that you have video of him stealing and that you'll sit on it as long as he stops trying to get you fired. You're really not risking much (if you were in the room with him when he did it then he has no way of knowing you weren't recording) and if he's trying to get you fired anyway, then gently caress it.

Opinion, meet fact:

quote:

Whoever, under a threat of informing, or as a consideration for not informing, against any violation of any law of the United States, demands or receives any money or other valuable thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

baquerd posted:

Opinion, meet fact:

You have no video and he's not going to have any evidence that you threatened him. Not that he's going to try and report you for it anyway, it's his least attractive option. Again, if you're going to get fired anyway, who gives a gently caress.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SisterFister posted:

You have no video and he's not going to have any evidence that you threatened him. Not that he's going to try and report you for it anyway, it's his least attractive option. Again, if you're going to get fired anyway, who gives a gently caress.

You know he doesn't have a *real* hidden recorder around? Not worth risking jail time, blackmail is one of those crimes judges really don't like because you have malicious intent pretty much from start to finish.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I apologize, my post was made in the hope that you have enough functioning brain cells to avoid getting yourself recorded doing illegal things.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
A women just handed me what was clearly 30-50 cents worth of pennies and dimes and uttered "Count it" because she was too lazy to do so herself so she could figure out how many 5 cent candy at my store she could afford.

An older person or a child? I might put up with that poo poo but the womens in her mid 20s and just bought cigarettes, in other words an adult who should know better. So I say gently caress it and look down at the pittance of small dirty clammy change and think to my self "gently caress her if shes too lazy to count her own money I'll just guess"

"34 cents" I say and she gets this furious scowl on her face "There should be more there then that!" she says. "Well if you wanted them counted correctly you probably should have done so yourself" was my reply.

I was told I shouldnt be so "loving rude" and that if I didnt "Shut up" she was going to punch me in the face. I didnt shut up, nor was I punched in the face. She just left sputtering and cursing me out leaving me to wonder where some of these people come from.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

baquerd posted:

Opinion, meet fact:

I did this slightly more subtly. He knows I know, and that's keeping him sedate for now. Though, I'm in the UK, so I have no idea what laws we have going for that.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I. HATE. CHILDREN.

9/10 of them are loud, attention seeking "GIMME-GIMME" screamers. I had a family come in today where the kid wouldn't even hand me his book so I could scan it. It wouldn't be a problem if it had a generic price tag on it, but it had a scanned one, and that's how we track inventory. The whole time, his rear end-wipe parents are playing the appeasement/ignore game.

When I was a kid, if I pulled anything like that, BOTH my parents would have taken my rear end to the bathroom and smacked the poo poo out of me. I never screamed in a store, I never shouted "BUT I WANT IT!"

Parents: Beat your kids, because I'm going to get fired if I have to do it.

Conversely, 1/10 of kids are a delight. I was behind the counter, on the ground pulling DVDs out of our gamestop-esque holding drawers when I hear a very faint "Excuse me." I slowly get to my feet, and I see a little girl peering over the counter top, as she's only just tall enough to see over it. She politely asks where the children section is and I send her on her way. She and her mother return to the desk about 10 minutes later, and she's chosen 1 book and a book mark. We have these stickers that we're supposed to give away to anyone, but I only give them away to cool parents and nice kids. When she got her sticker, she smiled and said "Yay! Sticker! Thank you." I should have just given her the whole spool of stickers.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Hey Dodgeball, remember when you said your first post was going to hopefully be your last?

Congratulations, you are now one of us. :haw:

Content: Man, they sliced our hours pretty drat badly. All the full-timers are down to part-time hours, and a part-timer like me is down to roughly 18 hours this week. I'm slightly worried I won't meet the minimum for health insurance :ohdear:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Casull posted:

Hey Dodgeball, remember when you said your first post was going to hopefully be your last?

Yeah, but I still hold out hope for humanity (I hated kids before working retail). We'll see how unshaken that is, post Black Friday, though.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

post Black Friday

The knowledge that the work environment and scheduling in my store was only going to get worse with the holiday season is a big part of why I quit. Goonspeed all of you who are still in retail.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Casull posted:

Content: Man, they sliced our hours pretty drat badly. All the full-timers are down to part-time hours, and a part-timer like me is down to roughly 18 hours this week. I'm slightly worried I won't meet the minimum for health insurance :ohdear:

This just happened to me, I'm down from ~37/week to around 24. I've responded by applying for a position at the company-owned shop in the city rather than the franchised shithole-within-a-shithole I work at now, as has my best buddy in the store. :3:

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

I don't know what management is smoking but a promotion just went to a guy who is wayyy less qualified than me in education, performance, and attitude. Only difference is he worked there a couple more months. Everyone makes fun of this guy behind his back so this will be interesting. I mostly just wanted the pay bump but I sucked up to them hardcore.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

manguero posted:

Goonspeed all of you who are still in retail.

I have no problems with Black Friday, personally. All I have to do is be physically present at work at 3 am, drink free red bull from my boss' fridge, and laugh at the volume of calls the helpdesk is receiving. I do love retail IT.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MaxDuo posted:

:smug: : Yes. I would like to know how much I can get this for because the box has a scratch on it.
:geno: : I believe we had several more of this over there if you would like me to have someone bring one up in better condition.
:smug: : No. I want this one, how much can I get off of it for the scratch?
:geno: : I'm sorry, we can't sell anything damaged and discounted unless it's the last of the item, I can only sell you one of the others for full pri-
:derp: : NO I DO NOT WANT IT! *shoves item off register and storms out*

I love the 'BUT I'M DOING YOU A FAVOUR BY BUYING IT AT A REDUCTION!?!?!?!' mentality.

You aren't. We'll return it for credit.

So, to start a mini-thread, when did y'all start having to put out Christmas stock? we started on the 15th September.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well, we keep some in the Lawn and Garden department, but I never go over there so I don't know when that got stocked. As for the "seasonal" area right next to the registers, we started moving stuff in the week before Halloween. It got fully Christmas-atized today, though.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
The only good thing about retail for me is the decent-ish money and benefits. $22/hr normally or $30 on Sundays to bag groceries, and not have to think about it after I leave.

The downside is how stupid society is, and how mundane the job is, everything that this thread covers really.

I am certainly searching for a better job in my field (finance) but the opportunities are quite sparse around here.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Dog Blogs Man posted:

The only good thing about retail for me is the decent-ish money and benefits. $22/hr normally or $30 on Sundays to bag groceries, and not have to think about it after I leave.

The downside is how stupid society is, and how mundane the job is, everything that this thread covers really.

I am certainly searching for a better job in my field (finance) but the opportunities are quite sparse around here.

What loving moon world do you live on that pays you $22/hr to bag groceries? :psypop:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

What loving moon world do you live on that pays you $22/hr to bag groceries? :psypop:

And why would you want to leave it?

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

And why would you want to leave it?

If said moon is paying baggers $22/hr, imagine what they're paying professionals?

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons

Chicken Doodle posted:

Australia.

To be fair that's the casual rate with no added benefits, but I also get part time shifts at ~$18 which have sick leave and holiday pay.

Even though we're above 1 USD per 1 AUD now, things are probably a bit more expensive here, but it's hard to directly compare. I think it's pretty good/fair though, for the actual tasks I have to do.

Unions here mean we have better than minimum wage in retail, and as such the shops have a lot more people to choose from, i.e. not just deadbeats who can't do anything else. So most people I work with are pretty awesome and many are studying etc, it's not just stoners who will work there forever.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I hate you. I just started working Wedding registry for $9.50 CAD. Which is a RAISE from what I was getting earlier.

I... i need to move to Australia. :negative:

I hate you.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 4, 2010

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
No kidding. I get $7.70 an hour $8.70 an hour on Sundays. Plus now it's the "holiday season" I can't ask for a day off. I only have open availability. I can work 24/7 and I get 24 hours a week. It's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I used to work retail as a midnight stocker. A guy who I worked with has been with the company since he was 16 or 17 and he was 26 at the time when I found out he was making $24/hr to stock shelves.

This was in Canada.