Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was on a short vacation last weekend. I have also not played TFUII because any price greater than $20 for that game is too much. I'd also rather wait for the Super Clone Sith Gaiden Edition.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Crowetron posted:

I'm back, and I haven't had a chance to play TFU2 yet

You're not missing anything, and I loved the first one. The gameplay is unchanged for the most part, and even improved in some areas, but the story is uninspired and the game as a whole is inexcusably short.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Crowetron posted:

I'm back, and I haven't had a chance to play TFU2 yet, but I can't believe y'all were already flipping out over the new trilogy rumor. That rumor comes up like every two weeks ever since Revenge of the Sith, and it always turns out to be bullcrap.

Running out of things to talk about. :smith: I always try and introduce new ideas but they taper off...

Here's one: Ray Park is apparently a really nice guy in person and likes showing off for kids at cons.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

^^^ Ray Park was Toad, so he's cool by me.

TwoSheds posted:

You're not missing anything, and I loved the first one. The gameplay is unchanged for the most part, and even improved in some areas, but the story is uninspired and the game as a whole is inexcusably short.

I just played a couple of hours, and you're right about the gameplay. It's basically exactly the same except for Mind Trick, which is consistently hilarious. I just love running into mobs of Stormtroopers and creating a little Imperial Mosh Pit :3:

The plot's just kind of...boring, though. It's not even entertainingly bad, like the first one, it's just very blah. I did like how Yoda seems incredibly uncomfortable to even be in the cutscenes, though.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
Just came across this thread, and i've always had a few geeky star wars questions i've wanted to ask someone.. sorry if they have already been asked/answered, anyway here goes:

1. In Ep VI, when Luke and Leia are having their quiet D&M where Luke reveals he is in fact Leia's sister, Luke first asks Leia if she remembered her mother. Leia says she remembers images, feelings and that she remembered she was very beautiful etc.

But then in Ep III, padme dies straight after giving birth to both of them, so there's no way either of them could remember what she looks like, unless they stuffed padme's corpse and hung it up in Leia's bedroom. Is this just another example of Lucas loving up his own story or is there another explanation i'm missing?

2. I've always wondered, in the Ep IV death star trench run, what the deal was with the “Almost there.. " guy who took a pot shot at the exhaust port with his proton torpedoes and missed. Afterwards, the camera shows him screaming in what looks like jubilation, doing a kamikaze straight into the death star surface. What's the deal with this? Did he think he successfully made the shot, but then get shot by a tower/imperial fighter and lose control of his ship, or just decide to kill himself for shits and giggles?

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

piss explosion posted:

1. In Ep VI, when Luke and Leia are having their quiet D&M where Luke reveals he is in fact Leia's sister, Luke first asks Leia if she remembered her mother. Leia says she remembers images, feelings and that she remembered she was very beautiful etc.

But then in Ep III, padme dies straight after giving birth to both of them, so there's no way either of them could remember what she looks like, unless they stuffed padme's corpse and hung it up in Leia's bedroom. Is this just another example of Lucas loving up his own story or is there another explanation i'm missing?

From the actual films, you're not missing anything. That's a contradiction, plain and simple. I think I remember reading a half-hearted EU coverup for this earlier in the thread. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. I've been avoiding the EU for a long time.) Newborn Leia gets some sort of force impression of her mother during the few seconds before she died. I'm not really buying that argument, though. That just leaves the question of why the same thing didn't happen for Luke. EDIT: Well, and the obvious objection of that idea being entirely laughable.

piss explosion posted:

2. I've always wondered, in the Ep IV death star trench run, what the deal was with the “Almost there.. " guy who took a pot shot at the exhaust port with his proton torpedoes and missed. Afterwards, the camera shows him screaming in what looks like jubilation, doing a kamikaze straight into the death star surface. What's the deal with this? Did he think he successfully made the shot, but then get shot by a tower/imperial fighter and lose control of his ship, or just decide to kill himself for shits and giggles?

Vader stays on red leader's tail after he pulls out of the trench and shoots him down. Also, he knew he didn't make the shot and orders Luke's group in for another attempt. "Stay there! I just lost my starboard engine. Get set up for your attack run. [hit by Vader again] YAAAAAAAARG! [crash]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS-3-nDTSs&t=7m25s

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 2, 2010

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!

Astribulus posted:

From the actual films, you're not missing anything. That's a contradiction, plain and simple. I think I remember reading a half-hearted EU coverup for this earlier in the thread. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. I've been avoiding the EU for a long time.) Newborn Leia gets some sort of force impression of her mother during the few seconds before she died. I'm not really buying that argument, though. That just leaves the question of why the same thing didn't happen for Luke. EDIT: Well, and the obvious objection of that idea being entirely laughable.

Vader stays on red leader's tail after he pulls out of the trench and shoots him down. Also, he knew he didn't make the shot and orders Luke's group in for another attempt. "Stay there! I just lost my starboard engine. Get set up for your attack run. [hit by Vader again] YAAAAAAAARG! [crash]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS-3-nDTSs&t=7m25s

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up :) Yeah I was pretty sure it was just a contradiction resulting from the lovely prequel story.

Also I guess the thing that confused me about the way red leader died was that when he's screaming, the look on his face seems to indicate more of a happy or joyful feeling rather than fear. That's just the feeling I got from watching it though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Didn't Leia get double adopted for some reason to explain the memories? So that after Padme dies, she goes to Joe Antilles for a month before the Organas adopt her.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

BonHair posted:

Didn't Leia get double adopted for some reason to explain the memories? So that after Padme dies, she goes to Joe Antilles for a month before the Organas adopt her.

Still doesn't make any goddamn sense. A few months won't change anything unless baby Leia had prodigious capacity for recognition and memory.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Weak sperg, but I don't see why that couldn't just be her misremembering a little white lie her adoptive parents would have told her. This type of thing (seemingly remembering things that were told to you as actually having happened, not the specific case of your mum dying of a broken heart) happens all the time in real life, after all.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Weak sperg, but I don't see why that couldn't just be her misremembering a little white lie her adoptive parents would have told her. This type of thing (seemingly remembering things that were told to you as actually having happened, not the specific case of your mum dying of a broken heart) happens all the time in real life, after all.

It's a lot more fun to go LUCASSSS :argh: then to apply sensible logic to the question.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

~Coxy posted:

Exactly. On the surface, yeah, it's probably a screw up with Lucas not realizing that he would have Padme die right after giving birth. I read that when Lucas originally "planned" Episode III many many years ago, Lucas was going to have Luke and Leia be three years old, not born at the end.

However, it's one of the easiest fixes when it comes to discrepancies with the prequels. Leia was remembering her adoptive mother, Bail's wife, when she remembers her mother, and she died when Leia was young. When Luke asked Leia if she remembered her mother, he hadn't said he was her brother yet, so she would have no reason to think he meant anyone other than Bail's wife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Exactly. On the surface, yeah, it's probably a screw up with Lucas not realizing that he would have Padme die right after giving birth. I read that when Lucas originally "planned" Episode III many many years ago, Lucas was going to have Luke and Leia be three years old, not born at the end.

However, it's one of the easiest fixes when it comes to discrepancies with the prequels. Leia was remembering her adoptive mother, Bail's wife, when she remembers her mother, and she died when Leia was young. When Luke asked Leia if she remembered her mother, he hadn't said he was her brother yet, so she would have no reason to think he meant anyone other than Bail's wife.

Doesn't Luke say "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

"Well that's just crazy, let me go check this out to prove this guy wrong....

...Well poo poo."

Yeah, you're right, that's exactly what he says. So forget what I said. I have brought shame upon my username.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 2, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Why does it matter?

(It still works if you consider that in a comparison between the two, Luke didn't have a "real" mother)

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
Not to mention that Leia would have no freaking clue what Luke was talking about when he asked about her "real" mother. Until Luke dropped the "I am your brother" bomb, she had no clue she was adopted.

Edit: Unless I missed some throwaway line in The Empire Strikes Back or something where she mutters something about how being adopted sucks while walking around Echo base.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

arioch posted:

Why does it matter?

(It still works if you consider that in a comparison between the two, Luke didn't have a "real" mother)

Asking about her real mother implies that there are two mothers, one adoptive and one birth mother. I don't think Luke was saying "do you remember your mother? I mean your real mother, not like my fake adoptive aunt-mother".

If Leia was talking about her adoptive mother, or her first adoptive mother or anything stupid like that, the conversation between them has no purpose or weight whatsoever. Luke is curious about his family, he knows he was adopted and he knows Leia must have been too. Since he asks about her real mother, we have to assume that Leia knows she's adopted too (it's a really weird question to ask otherwise, and Leia doesn't seem to mind it). Luke doesn't gain anything from knowing that Leia's adoptive mother was kind and sad, and neither does the audience.

It's just another one of those screwups that can't be reconciled in any reasonable way, and it could have been avoided if Lucas had bothered to actually pay attention to the few lines in the original movies that refer to the past.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Someone needs to watch RotS again to verify, but after being born, Ben holds Luke and does Padme hold Leia? Or does the Droid hold Leia?

Edit: Reading another forum with this question, they point out that baby Leia apparently had her eyes open when Padme died, while Luke's were closed, which may (it's a stretch) be enough to explain this issue.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 2, 2010

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Teek posted:

Someone needs to watch RotS again to verify, but after being born, Ben holds Luke and does Padme hold Leia? Or does the Droid hold Leia?

Edit: Reading another forum with this question, they point out that baby Leia apparently had her eyes open when Padme died, while Luke's were closed, which may (it's a stretch) be enough to explain this issue.

That was, indeed, the Lucas loophole, according to LFL's continuity guy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I played through TFU2 and apparently this game was made for people like me because, I gotta be honest, I thought it was balls to the wall awesome the entire time. EVerything was cool as gently caress and you really felt like this crazy rear end in a top hat going around throwing everything off ledges into the abyss (all the time, every level had convenient chasms you could throw stormtroopers into) and doing crazy sick rear end stunts and shenanigans.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I think you guys can reconcile all the irregularities and conflicts by realizing that some future Jedi was flowwalking back in time and caused the twins to be born in the wrong order and for Padme to die of a broken heart.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

You could also explain it that baby Leia was Force sensitive and somehow imprinted the memory of Padme on her little baby brain. So, basically, magic.

As a mother myself I can't believe that ANYONE would just give up and die when they had little babies around. That rush of seeing your newborn for the first time is certainly a cure for 'a broken heart.'

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

hollylolly posted:

You could also explain it that baby Leia was Force sensitive and somehow imprinted the memory of Padme on her little baby brain. So, basically, magic.

As a mother myself I can't believe that ANYONE would just give up and die when they had little babies around. That rush of seeing your newborn for the first time is certainly a cure for 'a broken heart.'

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

hollylolly posted:

As a George Lucas George Lucas is mostly incapable of transposing actual human behavior onto his characters.

On a literature note I've been reading through KW Jeter's old Bounty Hunter Trilogy and I've found it be be surprisingly readable. It's fun seeing things happening in the Star Wars galaxy that don't involve the same three characters. Even though it's far from great storytelling it's a Bantam book and those are always enjoyable for the lighthearted and silly stories.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hollylolly posted:

That's pretty much what I thought, too. My theory for how Leia got the memory when Luke didn't is that her Force talents leaned more toward interpersonal relationships, while his leaned more towards fighting - that's why she's the politician and he's the warrior.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You know, if you rewatch the Kenobi and Grievous fight, it makes no sense at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqKvKUTElA&feature=related

What exactly is Grievous doing for the first half with his 4 sabers? Randomly waving them? He doesn't seem to be aiming for Obi-Wan at all, and the camerawork is so zoomed in you can't tell any of the choreography.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

You know, if you rewatch the Kenobi and Grievous fight, it makes no sense at all.

What exactly is Grievous doing for the first half with his 4 sabers? Randomly waving them? He doesn't seem to be aiming for Obi-Wan at all, and the camerawork is so zoomed in you can't tell any of the choreography.

The same problem with all the prequel lightsaber fights, nobody ever seems like they're trying to actually attack each other. They should have hired whoever it was that did Jet Li's Fearless, now THAT is some good weapon choreography.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Man, it's a good think Obi-wan couldn't use his mind to throw poo poo around. It would have been pretty bad if Grievous was hit from behind with something heavy while he was taking 20 minutes to close in on Obi-wan's position.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hollylolly posted:

To me, this is the worst of George Lucas' bad ideas. It would have been so easy for the robot to say she's dying due to complications, and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. But Lucas seemed to go out of his way to say, "No, she's fine, but she's dying anyway. Why? Because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY!"

It's the dumbest reason for dying in the history of cinema, and gets even worse with context (she just gave birth). For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason he went there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'd made more sense if she died from complications from inhaling toxic fumes from the stupid rear end lava planet weakened by giving birth.

When you rewatch the prequals it breaks your heart seeing the majority of actors trying their best but knowing they can't win because they have a lazy CGI obsessed hack of a writer and director doing everything stupid to the movie.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

To me, this is the worst of George Lucas' bad ideas. It would have been so easy for the robot to say she's dying due to complications, and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. But Lucas seemed to go out of his way to say, "No, she's fine, but she's dying anyway. Why? Because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY!"

It's the dumbest reason for dying in the history of cinema, and gets even worse with context (she just gave birth). For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason he went there.

The worst part is that Anakin broke her heart by turning evil, and it killed her, despite the fact that she still believed there was good in him.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

NGL posted:

The worst part is that Anakin broke her heart by turning evil, and it killed her, despite the fact that she still believed there was good in him.

The part with Padme believing there was still good in him and trying to bring him back to the good side completely ruins Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi for me. Because it suggests that Vader is so screwed up in the head that his wife, whom he's known for most of his life, can't save him. Meanwhile, his son, who he met for the first time 50 minutes ago, can save him. It would have been a lot better if Padme had completely rejected him when she learned Anakin went on a hunting trip in the Jedi temple. Just flat out rejection in the vein of I don't know you anymore, stay away from me, You are not the Anakin I loved, etc. Make it so his son was the first person who actually offered him another chance. It'd make a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

As much as I hate to say it, I think he wrote it that was because he trying to make the point that love is bad. After his divorce, it seems like Lucas has become incredibly bitter, so much so that he trying to say that love, as a whole, is a bad thing. Really, it's a theme of the prequels. Almost no characters have any sort of romantic involvement, and for the two that do - one is led directly to the dark side because of it (in two ways: his love for his mother and his love for Padme), and one dies directly because of it. Yoda, the character who is supposed to be looked to as the voice of wisdom in the movies, directly tells us that attachments are bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It would have worked great if they'd established that Anakin and Padme had some kind of mysterious connection through the Force, and when he turned extra-crispy and had all that invasive surgery, he unconsciously sucked her life-force dry to save himself. So that would mean that in his rage, he DID kill her. Just like the Emperor said.

Instead we got one of the most widely-mocked lines in recent cinema. Thanks, George!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wouldn't care if they rebooted the prequals at least. Not one iota.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hollylolly posted:

George isn't real people.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

thrawn527 posted:

I took Shakespeare in high school. People died of broken hearts. Then again, Shakespeare kicks rear end, and those are old plays. I've often heard that this is what Lucas was playing off of. The problem is: THIS IS loving STAR WARS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_heart

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

NeonTurtle posted:

The part with Padme believing there was still good in him and trying to bring him back to the good side completely ruins Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi for me. Because it suggests that Vader is so screwed up in the head that his wife, whom he's known for most of his life, can't save him. Meanwhile, his son, who he met for the first time 50 minutes ago, can save him. It would have been a lot better if Padme had completely rejected him when she learned Anakin went on a hunting trip in the Jedi temple. Just flat out rejection in the vein of I don't know you anymore, stay away from me, You are not the Anakin I loved, etc. Make it so his son was the first person who actually offered him another chance. It'd make a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective.

Also doesn't help that Kenobi acts like he's pure evil through the whole OT. No mention of "Oh, yeah, by the way. I should probably tell you that, despite all the hosed up poo poo he did, your mother believed there is still some good in him. Perhaps there is."

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

DorianGravy posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I think he wrote it that was because he trying to make the point that love is bad. After his divorce, it seems like Lucas has become incredibly bitter, so much so that he trying to say that love, as a whole, is a bad thing. Really, it's a theme of the prequels. Almost no characters have any sort of romantic involvement, and for the two that do - one is led directly to the dark side because of it (in two ways: his love for his mother and his love for Padme), and one dies directly because of it. Yoda, the character who is supposed to be looked to as the voice of wisdom in the movies, directly tells us that attachments are bad.

I think that's a bit simplistic. While he's definitely a terrible writer and director, he's not an idiot. Jedi philosophy is heavily influenced by Eastern thought, particularly Buddhism. The major tenet of Buddhism is that attachments inevitably lead to suffering (which I tend to agree with).

Anakin's downfall was never just about love, although it played a role. (Keep in mind, it also played a significant role in his subsequent redemption.) It was about misguided, conflicting desires. He wanted to be a Jedi. He wanted to stay with his mother. He wanted to be with Padme. He wanted to save everyone. He wanted to be the big drat hero, but without making any sacrifices. It didn't help, either, that he had a Sith master playing him the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

Also doesn't help that Kenobi acts like he's pure evil through the whole OT. No mention of "Oh, yeah, by the way. I should probably tell you that, despite all the hosed up poo poo he did, your mother believed there is still some good in him. Perhaps there is."

"Woah, back up there. You knew my mother too? When were you planning on telling me this, old man?"